SPOILER TALK: SPIDER-MAN: NO WAY HOME (2021)

Jay

I really like the scene in the film where Peter realizes something is wrong and slow walks through the apartment observing each villain before finally webbing Norman.  Such a cool way to show his Spidey Sense at work.  Sadly it's probably the last truly good scene in the movie, although all the Garfield and Maguire stuff after is very fun and charming of course

They were well acted but I can't help but feel it will all be undone by timey wimey magic schmagic in a future movie so they can end up together anyway

Yeah, idk, I just loved the note of the last scene where he smiles, says goodbye and decides to leave them be and naturally live their lives. It was the right maturation point for the character and made me hope he'll be able to come by their friendship again honestly one day, just letting time run its course. And he's a good kid who loves em, he'll be able to do it. 

But that's sort of the whole MCU problem is I don't need a whole sequel or set of sequels to see that, I just like how this movie made me think about it. If they had any balls they'd let this be the closure point for Holland's version of Spidey because it was kind of a great place to leave it. Very sad and sweet and optimistic. 

I wonder what we'll get there. I think we'll get some more unutilised villains for sure. I actually hope for Scorpion - this Jameson is crazy enough in his anti-Spider-Man zealotry to actually want to create the Scorpion. The mid-credits obviously means we're getting the Black Suit at some stage, though I would caution against doing an Eddie Brock Venom here since we already have an active version of him in his own films. It'd have to be something different. I can't see the MCU Flash Thompson becoming Agent Venom, I personally would rather see Gargan as Scorpion first, and the other people who have been Venom in the comics have basically been temporary caretakers (Angelo Fortunato dies in his very first outing as Venom, and Lee Price was basically meant to 'reset' Venom back to its villainous tendencies before it returned to Eddie).

I would have said Kraven the Hunter, but Sony's developing that as a separate project. The ship has already set sail with Morbius. I don't want to see any more Goblins now, since we've had three films with a Goblin (and one with a snowboarder who thought he was a Goblin). Chameleon would be interesting to do, but I'd see him in more of a henchman role. Actually, that makes me think: he could be the henchman for the Kingpin. Kingpin is as much a Spider-Man villain as a Daredevil one. I can't see Black Cat being a main villain either TBH, and besides, aren't Sony trying to develop that as a spin-off as well?

Perhaps bringing some of his lesser villains forward would be a good idea. I would have pegged Vulture as one of them as well but Homecoming did a decent job reinventing him as a legitimate threat rather than a ludicrous old man who straps on a bird suit. Maybe Alistair Smythe or Tinkerer? Or even Morlun.

In the scene where the rift is opening up in the sky and Strange is trying to keep it closed, you can clearly see Scorpion as one of the people trying to come through

I know, but we already have a pre-Scorpion Mac Gargan. He was the gang dude in Homecoming that met Toomes in prison and told him he had a gang ready to kill Spider-Man.

At last I watched it. It was great to see Maguire in this role again. To me He will always be the best and probably one and only Spiderman. Holland is ok as annoying sidekick in movies like Civil War or Infinity War. But the dedicated Spidey movies of the MCU are actually the most boring ones. My son tells me, that he as a teenager might be more the target audience of these movies and He likes them. 

This movie was OK, but as usual in these Holland Spidey movies there were some good scenes, some bad ones, but my biggest issue is, I don't care at all for his problems, his decisions, his whatever. There where some serious moments in the movie. His aunt's death, the loss of his friends. But I didn't care. Somehow I cannot take Holland's Peter Parker serious as a charakter.

Its me but i think that the sacrifice seems as it should have been eradicate peter from the face of history… and therefore the character returns to sony to another reboot… 

as it is…. Its like a time travel paradox. What happened to peter? Is he an invisible entity? He does nos have a life before the events? He doesnt go to the same school as Mj and ned who dont recognise him? 
Did tony mentored spiderman? How is that Happy knows May?

pd: it was very funny when garfield asked maguire… if he had a suit or intended to go to battle dressed as a young priest 😂😂😂

Just saw it. Had a ton of fun watching it and had my blinders on for the Mack truck size plot holes. One question I had coming away from it is when the multiverse was shredding its way through towards the end was that the same as the multiverse bands tearing through at the end of Loki? Are they connected? They had the same purple look to it. If not then when is Loki’s ending supposed to affect the MCU?

• 4 weeks later...
On 05/01/2022 at 2:09 PM, John F said:

One question I had coming away from it is when the multiverse was shredding its way through towards the end was that the same as the multiverse bands tearing through at the end of Loki? Are they connected? They had the same purple look to it.

That is correct. Also, the events of Wandavision, Loki and Spider-Man: No Way Home will tie directly into Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness.

I just saw this movie in the theater finally, just hadn't been able to get out and see it before now.  This movie's continued success is just nuts.  I live in a small town, truly the middle of nowhere with our one movie theater we're lucky managed to stay open past 2020.  I went to see this movie that's been out for 50 days at a 3pm showing and the theater was well over half-filled!

The movie was pretty cool.  I still prefer Homecoming of the 3, but I really did enjoy No Way Home for what it was doing.  I thought it did a good job of staying focused on character and not becoming overwhelmed with its own EPIC CROSSOVER energy.

So I truly haven't followed any post release discussion of this movie (I still expected Maguire and Garfield to be quick cameos), but it seemed to me that the ending was kind of a way of pulling Spider-Man back out of the MCU.  Like, "we had our fun with him and now he'll take his place back with Sony's universe."  Although since Tom Hardy was portrayed as from a different universe from the MCU Parker I'm not sure.  Admittedly I haven't thought about this closely, this was just my initial impression.

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Yeah, I think this movie's main goal was to disconnect Holland's Spidey from the larger MCU, so Sony can still make movies with him without Disney wanting a piece of the box office.

I think this movie's main goal was to leave Sony with as many options as possible, with or without Marvel Studios.

Tom Holland was on a BBC show last week to plug Uncharted and answered the question of further Spider-Man with him by saying that he'd be thrilled to if asked but equally if not, he's had a great time and so be it. 

Must admit, I prefer the idea of Spidey being 'properly' in the MCU. Was equally happy with Deadpool not being because of how those movies are, but apparently he's about to be 'brought in' which will almost certainly mean the character will be watered down in order for the movies to remain 12A/PG-13.      

1 minute ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Tom Holland was on a BBC show last week to plug Uncharted and answered the question of further Spider-Man with him by saying that he'd be thrilled to if asked but equally if not, he's had a great time and so be it. 

Must admit, I prefer the idea of Spidey being 'properly' in the MCU. Was equally happy with Deadpool not being because of how those movies are, but apparently he's about to be 'brought in' which will almost certainly mean the character will be watered down in order for the movies to remain 12A/PG-13.      

Re. Deadpool 3, Feige confirmed that he's keeping it R-Rated.

“It will be rated R and we are working on a script right now, and Ryan’s overseeing a script right now… It will not be [filming] this year. Ryan is a very busy, very successful actor. We’ve got a number of things we’ve already announced that we now have to make, but it’s exciting for it to have begun. Again, a very different type of character in the MCU, and Ryan is a force of nature, which is just awesome to see him bring that character to life.”

Interesting. Wondering how they'll make Deadpool's meta schtick work in the broader context ... for example, him being aware that he's in a movie being played by an actor will be weird if he's the only one acknowledging it and it will be equally weird if characters who previously didn't do this now start to.   

In the comics he's also the only one who's awared of being in a comic book, besides Howard the Duck sometimes or other more cartoon-like characters.

I'm sure it will works fine, his movies will be R-Rated and his apparences in other will become PG-13 but as a supporting character it will be sufficient

That's my thinking too.

The only thing I would want the MCU to change/add with Deadpool would be the 'other voices in his head'. IDC if you get Ryan to do them, or be clever and get several of the voice actors in who have voiced Deadpool in the past to play each different voice, but that's a part of the character that needs to be put in.

That's enough derailing this thread for me :lol:

Help me understand the implications of the ending.

• The world is has forgotten who Peter Parker is, therefore they don't know Peter Parker is Spider-Man (but he still is)
  • Time-travel isn't involved, so everything that's happened in the previous films has still happened - any interactions characters had with Spider-Man are presumably just remembered as interactions with Spider-Man, but not with Peter?
  • What are Ned/MJ/Dr. Strange's immediate reactions to what just happened on Liberty Island?
  • What are Ned and MJ's recollections of Homecoming and Far From Home supposed to be now? Do they remember their experiences with Spider-Man but have no reollection of Peter?
  • For example, what are Happy's memories of taking Spider-Man to Berlin in Homecoming/Civil War? That presumably still all happened and he presumably remembers it...except now he's forgotten that Peter is Spider-Man?

I'm impressed with how bonkers this movie is how much I'm willing to go along with - but the ending has me confused.

There's no answers to these questions, you can't logic it out. It's magic, and they will likely never delve into the logistics of it in the future. 

In my opinion! 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, Tobey doesn't get one so obviously Sony are planning to announce The Amazing Spider-Man 3 tomorrow or something.

Source: My uncle's brother's sister's pet dog's cat's neighbour's landlord told me and they totally work for Sony Inc.

That was sarcasm and a pretty lame attempt at a joke, because apparently that has to be said, but what also has to be said is... what the actual heck? That is the best they can come up with? I cannot wait until they come out with the 'Peter #2' video. That one better have the dance of evil in it or it's worth nothing.

16 hours ago, Giftheck said:

Well, Tobey doesn't get one so obviously Sony are planning to announce The Amazing Spider-Man 3 tomorrow or something.

Source: My uncle's brother's sister's pet dog's cat's neighbour's landlord told me and they totally work for Sony Inc.

That was sarcasm and a pretty lame attempt at a joke, because apparently that has to be said, but what also has to be said is... what the actual heck? That is the best they can come up with? I cannot wait until they come out with the 'Peter #2' video. That one better have the dance of evil in it or it's worth nothing.

I work for Sony and I haven't heard anything. :D

On 18/03/2022 at 3:45 PM, Jay said:

This might be the worst edited and scored commercial I've ever seen

I saw this on social the other day and had the same thoughts. The clips are so random at times.

They used the wrong theme, first of all. I say this, not because I dislike Zimmer's theme, but because they used Horner's in No Way Home. Seems silly to use Zimmer's here. I assume it's because it's more commercial / trailer sounding (which it is, while Horner's sounds like a proper film score. Lol. I kid.)

It's ironic though, because they used something so loud and high energy that they had to mix it absolutely atrociously with the dialog. Turn it DOWN. Balance the mix. I can hear every single duck under the dialog. I wouldn't hear it so obviously if it had been done remotely well.

What really puzzles me is why the score goes from stereo to mono at 1:12? How or why did that even happen? Actually on that same note - the orchestral riser at 0:34 is in Stereo, but is used again at 0:49 in mono? What the hell is going on?

My assumption as for "the point": A quick (and low effort) recap of "Peter #3's" story to help promote the Home Video release of No Way Home. That's all. Mainly just a random social media piece that someone came up with. Gotta have that content.

EDIT: Also just noticed that the text cards aren't even properly matted to 2.35:1. The initial white flash and text slam itself are overlayed on top of the ratio matte. I see no reason to do that on purpose - it's too fast to even register as a "3D Coming Out of the Screen" effect, and just looks like a mistake. Also turn up the sampling rate on the text's motion blur for goodness sake!!

Sorry, the post-production editor in me had to go on a rant.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 13/2/2022 at 2:30 PM, Anthony said:

Help me understand the implications of the ending.

• The world is has forgotten who Peter Parker is, therefore they don't know Peter Parker is Spider-Man (but he still is)
  • Time-travel isn't involved, so everything that's happened in the previous films has still happened - any interactions characters had with Spider-Man are presumably just remembered as interactions with Spider-Man, but not with Peter?
  • What are Ned/MJ/Dr. Strange's immediate reactions to what just happened on Liberty Island?
  • What are Ned and MJ's recollections of Homecoming and Far From Home supposed to be now? Do they remember their experiences with Spider-Man but have no reollection of Peter?
  • For example, what are Happy's memories of taking Spider-Man to Berlin in Homecoming/Civil War? That presumably still all happened and he presumably remembers it...except now he's forgotten that Peter is Spider-Man?

I'm impressed with how bonkers this movie is how much I'm willing to go along with - but the ending has me confused.

I finally watched this. 

I’m honestly baffled. I’m not sure what I watched. I enjoyed much of this, but came away with a sadness that MCU Spidey’s interactions have all been diminished.  Peter Parker being redacted from everyone’s memories is bizarre, and I’m having a hard time reconciling with that.   I’m sad that three films in, and there’s no more fun to be had with the dynamics that were established.  I mean, they really hit the nuke button. 

Random thoughts:

You can say this in every solo movie, but really, where were the Avengers to help Peter when his identity was revealed?  No help from Clint, Wanda, Bucky, Sam, all of Wakanda?  This is a kid they all fought with who is suddenly in real danger.  I guess Happy getting him a place to crash meant Dr. Strange didn’t have to be the one to pick up the phone and check if the boy is okay?  The other heroes aren’t real friends. Just work friends. 

I would have to watch again, but was the forget spell for everyone “in the world” or in the universe?  I’m thinking of characters like Captain Marvel, the Guardians, Thor, or Nick Fury who they made a point to mention was off planet. 

So Peter has a new start.  Maybe they’ll have him take up photography or a romance with Betty Brant. 

it was satisfying that Garfield was there having the most fun, and got the best redemption. His films were really nobody’s favorite, and they propped him up as the most pathetic loser among losers in their meta way, allowing him to be called Amazing, and of course saving MJ.  I did not expect my least favorite Spider-Man to get MVP here. 

This was weird.  There was fun to be had but also a sense of disappointment.   Of all the Marvel characters that deserve time to have television hours of breathing and development, I think Spider-Man/Peter Parker would work best.  Every iteration of Spider-Man seems to want to jump right to the epic deaths or big life changes quickly, before we can enjoy the daily challenges of Peter’s soap opera life. 

The film seems to prove that Garfield’s Peter could’ve been terrific if only he’d been given better films.   I seem to remember feeling that ASM was trying to inject some Nolan sensibilities into the formula. Although it’s been forever since I watched the Webb films.