Steven Spielberg turns 75 today!

Thor

This photo looks nearly like a baroque painting, from the colour palette of a dim-lit room, through the characters looking at something in the middle of the picture, down to more or less symbolic objects on the edges and in the background.

It certainly would look well on a wall.

Even just a basic filter shows which way this could go...

Williams and Spielberg - would make a great painting (2).png

As born at the start of the 1970s my experience with cinema was highly influenced by Spielberg. It started with Raiders of the Lost Ark, continued with E.T. and further on every new Spielberg film was a must. At the end of the 80s I lost track a little when there came movies like Hook and Always. I didn't like these"Kids" movies with these particularly cheesy parts and these steam hammer optimistic messages. With Schindler's List and Jurassic Park my interest was resurrected. Still I keep struggling with his style, but continue to find in each film something interesting and unique enough to find the movies worth watching. I didn't like his temporary focus on Tom Cruise and Tom Hanks as his main actors because I am particularly not a big fan of them. I am not sure if I did watch most of his movies, if his movies were not scored by Williams. I would say, Williams' scores are usually about 70 percent of the reason to watch a Spielberg movie for me.

But in the meantime I understood, that I shouldn't take for granted how generous Spielberg treats music in his movies and how much room he gives to it.

My biggest gratitude to Spielberg goes to Spielberg for providing such dedicated canvas for Williams' scores for almost 50 years.

Favourite score: E.T.

Favourite movie: Catch Me If You Can 

4 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

My biggest gratitude to Spielberg goes to Spielberg for providing such dedicated canvas for Williams' scores for almost 50 years.

Wouldn't it be amazing if they had their 30th film collaboration in 2024, exactly 50 years after their first (Sugarland Express)?

A bit late to the party but I would say E.T. for best score and I can't choose one best picture because I can't really compare movies like Jurassic Park and Schindler's List or E.T. and Close Encounters. To me he's just the best and has a movie in my top 5 whatever the genres.

6 hours ago, Thor said:

I should perhaps have added that JURASSIC PARK is my own favourite. Both film and score. 

My least favorites!

(although, now that I think of it, War Horse has probably dethroned JP)

On 19/12/2021 at 5:50 AM, Fabulin said:

This photo looks nearly like a baroque painting, from the colour palette of a dim-lit room, through the characters looking at something in the middle of the picture, down to more or less symbolic objects on the edges and in the background.

It's really a wonderful pic by the great LA photographer Art Streiber.

As for Spielberg being 75, it's impressive how he's making films professionally literally from the 2/3rds of his life. And it's even more impressive that he's now the same age of Williams when he was about to start writing Indiana Jones 4.

It sucks being a December baby.

Filmmusic said it best. 

Since May of 1982 E.T. has been and remained my Favorite film and score of these two great men.

59 minutes ago, AC1 said:

My least favorites!

(although, now that I think of it, War Horse has probably dethroned JP)

Well, it is neither the first, nor will it be the last time that you and I live on different planets, Alex! :D