• Fanfare for A Naive Olde Fart by bruce marshall
    • Heroic Breakfast by GerateWohl
    • Fanfare by Michael G.
    • JWFAN FANFARE by MrJosh
    • Fanfare for the Con Man's Mom by Glóin the Dark
    • Fanfare for too Many Notes by Jurassic Shark
    • Fanfare by Grace Under Pressure

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/01/22 at 12:00 AM

!!! READ THIS BEFORE VOTING !!!

Voting for the 2021 JWFan composition competition has begun! 

Everybody's eligible to vote, but this year you can only select one composition.

It's not allowed to vote for your own composition, and if you do, both your vote and your composition will be disqualified.

This poll is about the quality of the compositions, and not about the quality of the samples, however impressive. For those compositions that use crappy samples, voters are urged to listen past the samples to assess the quality of the compositions.

Let the voting begin! Due to few votes, the deadline is extended until the end of 2 January, message board time.

Entries (by order of submission):

On 31/10/2021 at 10:51 PM, bruce marshall said:

Fanfare for A Naive Olde Fart, for piano.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2VquLYZukFraqrcHA

On 14/11/2021 at 9:10 AM, GerateWohl said:

Heroic Breakfast for brass quintet:

On 16/12/2021 at 10:19 PM, Michael G. said:

On 28/11/2021 at 4:43 PM, MrJosh said:

JWFAN FANFARE:

On 15/12/2021 at 8:48 PM, Glóin the Dark said:

Fanfare for the Con Man's Mom.

On 16/12/2021 at 12:58 AM, Jurassic Shark said:

On 16/12/2021 at 3:16 AM, Grace Under Pressure said:

47 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

In the end, there is something about the chords in the above mentioned section of @Jurassic Shark's Fanfare for Two Many Notes that, it has become my vote! I see the file says V2. I hope you'll release version 1 as a bonus track on the expanded edition. 

Thank you very much for the compliments. I'm kind of old-fashioned when it comes to preserving the different iterations of my pieces, and save a new version every time I make a major change, although Sibelius has a feature for saving different versions in one file. It's not uncommon to reach beyond version 20 for me!

I'm really enjoying the ' cue by cue' analysis.

Hope to see.more.

Very illuminating!😄

Josh,

Those chords are straight out of "Thus Spake Zarasuthra!"

Via Philip Glass' " Mad Rush" for piano

😁

34 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Thank you very much for the compliments. I'm kind of old-fashioned when it comes to preserving the different iterations of my pieces, and save a new version every time I make a major change, although Sibelius has a feature for saving different versions in one file. It's not uncommon to reach beyond version 20 for me!

V.2?

Like LIONHEART v.2?

😝

Short assessment on my part. I chose the piece from @MrJosh.

1. I know, don't judge by the sound, I didn't do that either, but it really sounds very good, just getting the sound right (what vst instruments did you use??) is a small effort.

2. The composition itself is of course a much bigger effort, that was my main criterion too.

I think this classic Hollywood sound you created is very successful, 

the piece is also closest to JW-style of all IMO.

Minor criticisms: The transition from the "beginning" to playing the main theme (around sec 19) could be a bit better elaborated. And then ist could work better when playing the middle section a bit faster, but none of that is considerable.

I really love the ending from 1:25 on! 

You could have sustained the last note a bit longer, or even included a little "crash" (sorry, don't know the English term), as one is used to from John Williams (see Superman ...and everything else.)

Very good work!!!

10 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

There's a great energy to this and it keeps up for the whole minute.

6 hours ago, MrJosh said:

love the feel and bounce to the rhythm

Cheers! In the sequencer I used to produce it (OnlineSequencer.net), the note samples for most instruments are very short in duration, so there have to be a lot of them in rapid succession in order to create any sense of fullness or continuity. Hence the fast pace...

6 hours ago, MrJosh said:

...the harmony moves around chromatically...

This arose as an exercise in harmonic transformations in the context of the PLR group, in which the fairly conventional and stable-sounding opening chord sequence is repeatedly transformed in a way which makes it more unstable and chromatic, until after the halfway point when the transformations are reversed. It's a there and back again micro-story. 

4 hours ago, Michael G. said:

Short assessment on my part. I chose the piece from @MrJosh.

1. I know, don't judge by the sound, I didn't do that either, but it really sounds very good, just getting the sound right (what vst instruments did you use??) is a small effort.

Minor criticisms: The transition from the "beginning" to playing the main theme (around sec 19) could be a bit better elaborated. And then ist could work better when playing the middle section a bit faster, but none of that is considerable.

I really love the ending from 1:25 on! 

You could have sustained the last note a bit longer, or even included a little "crash" (sorry, don't know the English term), as one is used to from John Williams (see Superman ...and everything else.)

Very good work!!!

Thank you very much, @Michael G. and I appreciate your feedback as well. It occurred to me to add a crash at the end as you described but I didn't get around to it. 

I used Spitfire Symphonic Brass and Orchestral Tools Berlin Percussion for the samples. 

24 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Does it play the music also or do you play into the Sibelius ; is it live or sequenced?

I notate the music with mouse and the computer keyboard, then the software is able to do playback.

You may also connect a midi keyboard and record to midi your own playing.

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I notate the music with mouse and the computer keyboard, then the software is able to do playback.

So, in.other words it's a ' mock-up'; like Zimmer does😁

Some use the software to create mock-ups, but I don't have that expertise. I use it primarily as a notation software. It also gives med the opportunity to hear what I've composed (when I'm not able to play it) and to create sheet music.

37 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

So, what we hear is sampled piano?

I think I should get a special " Jury Prize" for performing live.

You know, like they do at Cannes Film Festival😉

3 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Some use the software to create mock-ups, but I don't have that expertise. I use it primarily as a notation software. It also gives med the opportunity to hear what I've composed (when I'm not able to play it) and to create sheet music.

Back in my college days I composed a four-part fugue.

Unfortunately, it was beyond my ability to play so.Ive never heard what it sounds like.

Wish I.had the software back then. It's a very short piece.

28 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I enjoy using Sibelius too. 

I prefer trying to sketch on paper, but having a piano or keyboard to check things or play around while I'm sketching, then I input what I've sketched into Sibelius and take some more time writing out parts, then I export the midi and put it into Reaper to use the vsts/ sample libraries. 

Some would say that's too long of a process and why not just play in parts one at a time with the samples in the DAW and skip the Sibelius notation alltogether, but I like having things notated out and it helps me think through things better. 

@bruce marshall you should send one of us that fugue, and we can make a 'mockup' and see what it's like!

1 hour ago, MrJosh said:

I prefer trying to sketch on paper, but having a piano or keyboard to check things or play around while I'm sketching, then I input what I've sketched into Sibelius and take some more time writing out parts, then I export the midi and put it into Reaper to use the vsts/ sample libraries. 

Some would say that's too long of a process and why not just play in parts one at a time with the samples in the DAW and skip the Sibelius notation alltogether, but I like having things notated out and it helps me think through things better. 

@bruce marshall you should send one of us that fugue, and we can make a 'mockup' and see what it's like!

I think I still have the sheet music.

If I posted it here could that be used ?

Thanks!

P.s it will probably suck. Be merciful, I was young 😄

Prelude and Fugue

( obviously I could play the first part)

20211219_151015.jpg

20211219_151042.jpg

Screenshot_2021-12-19-15-23-42.png

22 hours ago, MrJosh said:

I like to sit at the piano when working out the basic ideas, but after that a lot of the composition is done directly in Sibelius. I go back to the piano if there's something that's easier to figure out by playing/improvising.

23 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I think I should get a special " Jury Prize" for performing live.

You'll get a honourable mention. ;)

14 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Can.you scan sheet music into a computer and have it play it back- like a player piano?😗

I'm tempted to vote for Gloin, just based on his title WHICH I JUST NOW 'got'!😅

Well, there's some software that tries to scan sheet music to import into Sibelius, but in the past I haven't had a lot of luck in working with it. @Jurassic Sharkhave you ever had success with that? 

I was planning to just input the notes manually into Sibelius myself. 

26 minutes ago, MrJosh said:

Well, there's some software that tries to scan sheet music to import into Sibelius, but in the past I haven't had a lot of luck in working with it. @Jurassic Sharkhave you ever had success with that? 

I was planning to just input the notes manually into Sibelius myself. 

No, I can't remember that I've tried that, but I once tried to concert a wave file to notation, and that became quite unreadable. :lol:

On 19/12/2021 at 3:18 PM, GerateWohl said:

I really enjoyed all of the pieces. As I said, I definitely would have liked to give more than one vote.

If there had been an option to limit the number of choices to two or three, I'd probably go for that. But as far as I know that's not possible.

Change the title:

Poll:What STAR WARS EXPANSION do you most want this year?

1 hour ago, Loert said:

I will cast my vote before the New Year, there's just a lot going on right now. I'm looking forward to listening to all the submissions!

" Submissions?"

Hm?hmmmm😅