Which Spielberg/Williams film score do you most hope Mike Matessino will produce next? 2021 edition

Jay

Which Spielberg/Williams film score do you most hope Mike Matessino will produce next?  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Which Spielberg/Williams film score do you most hope Mike Matessino will produce next for a specialty label?

• 1974's The Sugarland Express
    • 1991's Hook
    • 1997's Amistad
    • 2002's Catch Me If You Can
    • 2004's The Terminal
    • 2005's Munich
    • 2011's The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
    • 2011's War Horse
    • 2012's Lincoln
    • 2016's The BFG
    • 2017's The Post
  2. 2. Which Spielberg/Williams film score do you most hope Mike Matessino will produce for Disney Records?

• 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark
    • 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
    • 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
    • 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Since 2011, Mike Matessino has produced new comprehensive editions of thirteen Spielberg/Willliams scores

1. 2011 - 1979's 1941 (La-La Land)
  2. 2014 - 1987's Empire of the Sun (La-La Land)
  3. 2015 - 2001's A.I. Artificial Intelligence (La-La Land)
  4. 2015 - 1975's Jaws (Intrada)
  5. 2016 - 1993's Jurassic Park (La-La Land)
  6. 2016 - 1997's The Lost World (La-La Land)
  7. 2017 - 1982's E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (La-La Land)
  8. 2017 - 1977's Close Encounters of the Third Kind (La-La Land)
  9. 2018 - 1998's Saving Private Ryan (La-La Land)
  10. 2018 - 1993's Schindler's List (La-La Land)
  11. 2019 - 2002's Minority Report (La-La Land)
  12. 2020 - 2005's War of the Worlds (Intrada)
  13. 2021 - 1989's Always (La-La Land)

Out of the fifteen remaining Spielberg/Williams FILM scores, which ones do you most want to happen next?

1. 1974's The Sugarland Express
  2. 1981's Raiders of the Lost Ark
  3. 1984's Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
  4. 1989's Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
  5. 1991's Hook
  6. 1997's Amistad
  7. 2002's Catch Me If You Can
  8. 2004's The Terminal
  9. 2005's Munich
  10. 2008's Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
  11. 2011's The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn
  12. 2011's War Horse
  13. 2012's Lincoln
  14. 2016's The BFG
  15. 2017's The Post

I've broken the poll into scores that could be released by a specialty label, and scores that can only be released by Disney Records

Vote now, vote wisely, and tell us what you picked and why you picked it!

Ideally, I want it ALL released. Realistically, I’d say Amistad and/or Hook. Amistad seems to be VERY likely for 2022. As much as I want to say which Indy score I want, I cannot, as I want all of them released, but the wait for that, like Star Wars, may be quite a while.

My top picks are Hook, Terminal, Tintin, War Horse and BFG. War Horse for its loveliness, BFG for its gorgeousness, Terminal turns out to be a score I'm very much connecting with but I feel the OST does its structure a disservice. Hook and Tintin are both grand adventures that only suffer from piecemeal pickings and Hook especially really deserves a better shot than the previous mess so I picked that. 

I love the Lincoln and Post OSTs as they are. From what I heard in the movie and remember from the OST, Escapades is my perfect CMIYC representation, not clamouring for anything more. Only know the Spielberg/Williams piece from Sugarland and from what I hear it's probably enough. Didn't cross the "really like" or even the "like" barrier yet with Amistad and Munich, though expansions could be a good excuse to try and put more effort into that. I do love the concert pieces born from them.

From the Indys, though TLC is in the worst state overall with the crap boot and Wallinised score mix, and really all of them have to be done properly complete from the ground up, I'm picking my favourite, the best flowing singular entity, ToD.

Hook and Last Crusade for me. Hook is a top 5 personal favorite Williams score and it needs Mike's treatment. A close second would be Amistad followed by Tintin.

The Last Crusade is my favorite IJ score and film. Raiders is technically a "better" film but I love TLC.

I can't vote, because there is no 'none' option in the second question. The poll won't accept just voting in one of the questions.

But anyways, there is really only one I want to see, of the ones mentioned -- the eternally unavailable SUGARLAND EXPRESS. Would love to throw my ol' boot in the trash.

I've gone for the least popular (i.e. just me) for option 1, and the most popular for option 2 :)

The only Indys I'd buy again are Last Crusade and KotCS. I'm afraid I've never gotten into RotLA or ToD, and despite some earlier reservations, there's enough material in the full KotCS to at least make a far superior album to Williams'.

And I'd rather like The Terminal, if only to have the score arranged properly as a score, without all the concert bits and repetition getting in the way.

I'm not into the Hook hype like the rest of you unfortunately. I have 43 mins from the OST (taken from LLL's set, with three OST substitutions) which is exactly right for me. I do hope the rest of you eventually get a proper MM expansion though.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

But anyways, there is really only one I want to see, of the ones mentioned -- the eternally unavailable SUGARLAND EXPRESS. Would love to throw my ol' boot in the trash.

Then you could vote for THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS, I guess?

I wonder if the delay of Indy 5 changes the thought-process behind why Indy expansions were discussed but ultimately didn't proceed?

Skipping the 40th anniversary of Raiders kinda made sense if they were holding out for the fifth score in 2022, but that feels like an eternity away after the film's delay.

I just hope this isn't another TFA/TLJ/TROS situation where we keep getting our hopes up that a new film might trigger score expansions, only for nothing to eventuate. Even waiting 2-3 years after Indy 5 means expansions wouldn't be forthcoming until 2026... which is five years away :(

I voted for Hook in the 1st batch, no-brainer for me, most beloved score in that list.  Amistad would be my 2nd choice with all the unreleased music.

Raiders of the Lost Ark got my vote for 2nd batch, I really doubt Disney would release any of the other movie scores before the original.

46 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Then you could vote for THE SUGARLAND EXPRESS, I guess?

Yes, I want to. But in order for the voting to come through, I also HAVE to answer poll no. 2. And there are no options there that work for me. I suppose both need a "None" option.

On 20/12/2021 at 8:47 AM, Thor said:

Yes, I want to. But in order for the voting to come through, I also HAVE to answer poll no. 2. And there are no options there that work for me. I suppose both need a "None" option.

Well I suppose if you don't like the Indiana Jones scores, you could always just vote for the one that you dislike the least?

4 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

Well I suppose if you don't like the Indiana Jones scores, you could always just vote for the one that you dislike the least?

No, he just doesn't want any of them to have expansions.

26 minutes ago, Thor said:

This.

But surely what you mean is that you just don't care if they get expansions, right? Not that you're actively against them being done for those of us that do want them (which is literally everyone else here)?

Just now, Manakin Skywalker said:

But surely you mean that you just don't care if they get expansions. Right? Not that you're actively against them being done for those of us that do want them (which is literally everyone else here)?

Right.

I think these polls always need a "None" option, whatever the topic is.

6 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think these polls always need a "None" option, whatever the topic is.

I can agree on that. On Reddit for example I keep seeing many polls now incorporating an "I just want to see the answers" option.

27 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I can agree on that. On Reddit for example I keep seeing many polls now incorporating an "I just want to see the answers" option.

Thankfully, this poll DOES have that option. But I really wanted to vote in the first to give SUGARLAND a boost.

I went with Hook as it's my favourite and really want a definitive edition. Between the Jones it came down to TOD and TLC and ultimately went with Crusade because between the expansion and leaks it'd be great to have a complete release in proper quality.

Does TOD or TLC technically have the most unreleased music now? 

I guess, factoring in the clean TOD music we got from the Lego game (like Rope Bridge and the alternate Child Returns). 

I'm guessing all the session leaks for TLC are still missing cues.

Pretty sure it's TLC now but I think it's only mostly inserts and overlays but what has leaked isn't in great quality. TOD is more or less complete with the lego games and film stem leak there's even some unused and alternate stuff which I'm not sure TLC has even had come out.

The Sugarland Express will be released. Mike Matessino said in a pod cash that either last year he presented John Williams the music…and a few weeks later Williams and his Crew said no! But Matessino said it will be released 2024…The 50th Anniversary. 

Since Universal is future proofing their John Williams Collection, The Reivers is coming up soon. 

War Horse and Temple of Doom for me. I think they are the best left in the two polls, considering that we already have almost everything from Hook, so I wouldn't give it the priority. I would be happy also with The BFG or Tintin, anyway.

Is there so much unreleased music of the indy films? I'm quite fine with the OSTs.

6 minutes ago, Score said:

War Horse and Temple of Doom for me. I think they are the best left in the two polls, considering that we already have almost everything from Hook, so I wouldn't give it the priority. I would be happy also with The BFG or Tintin, anyway.

I think post 2005 soundtracks won't be re-released because of musicians royalties that were to be paid.

2 hours ago, Steve said:

I think post 2005 soundtracks won't be re-released because of musicians royalties that were to be paid.

That's a relatively small drawback for the studios, and is becoming less of an issue over time. Many post-2005 scores have already gotten expansions and the numbers are continuing to grow.

2 hours ago, Steve said:

Is there so much unreleased music of the indy films?

There's a lot.

5 hours ago, TownerBarry said:

The Sugarland Express will be released. Mike Matessino said in a pod cash that either last year he presented John Williams the music…and a few weeks later Williams and his Crew said no! But Matessino said it will be released 2024…The 50th Anniversary. 

Since Universal is future proofing their John Williams Collection, The Reivers is coming up soon. 

MV said Sugarland was supposed to be the first Universal Heritage Collection back in 2018, before being nixed by Williams. Where did Mike say it'd be released in 2024? 

1 hour ago, Groovygoth666 said:

Where did Mike say it'd be released in 2024? 

Mike has never said that (at least not publicly) as far as I'm aware.

A few years back he said he had "an idea" about how to approach Williams on Sugarland (hoping to change his mind) but we never heard a follow up.

It was Intrada who tried doing both Sugarland and Story of a Woman a few years back, before Williams vetoed the titles. Both were transferred for safekeeping though (along with Rare Breed, IIRC).

5 minutes ago, crumbs said:

A few years back he said he had "an idea" about how to approach Williams about the score, hoping it might change his mind, but we never heard a follow up.

Any idea if this was before or after MV said about it being the start of the Universal Heritage Collection? If it was before then it didn't work, if after then there's still hope, but I'm really sceptical that Mike would give a release date (even if it's just a year).

Roger confirmed that they found elements for Rare Breed and Story of a Woman, but could not find elements for Plainsman and Screaming Woman - and also that Williams nixed both Rare Breed and Story of a Woman from being released

MV confirmed that Sugarland Express almost happened until Williams nixed it; His post doesn't specifically say they found elements, but it more or less implicitly says so

I cannot recall ever seeing any information about the elements of the other unreleased Universal scores (The Secret Ways and The Killers)

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

I cannot recall ever seeing any information about the elements of the other unreleased Universal scores (The Secret Ways and The Killers)

IIRC Maurizio asked Mike specifically about Secret Ways in a podcast and Mike said it was very old, he wasn't aware of the status of any elements.

45 minutes ago, Jay said:

MV confirmed that Sugarland Express almost happened until Williams nixed it; His post doesn't specifically say they found elements, but it more or less implicitly says so

That's really interesting because I'm certain Mike said Intrada had planned Sugarland (alongside SOAW) until JW votoed it. I'm sure those comments are in the Disaster box podcast somewhere, I'll try and find them later.

I guess it's possible both labels have tried to license it without success.

13 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

There's a lot.

There can't be a huge amount missing after the Concord box, surely. In terms of content, it got us, what, 90% there?

Strikes me that the primary takeaway from a MM set would be the speed/sound issues fixed and a proper C&C presentation.

Are you including things like source in that percentage? Based on recent evidence JW might not allow it to be included.

Based on the rather funny discussion a while back regarding the ToD opening sequence and whether it should be presented as one continuous section of music, half the forum will secretly hate any presentation anyway :rolleyes:

10 hours ago, crumbs said:

That's really interesting because I'm certain Mike said Intrada had planned Sugarland (alongside SOAW) until JW votoed it. I'm sure those comments are in the Disaster box podcast somewhere, I'll try and find them later.

The Disaster Box came out in Holiday 2019.  By then LLL had already tried and failed to kick off the Universal Heritage line with Sugarland in the summer of 2018

A rejection of Sugarland that recent tells me it definitely will not happen until after Williams is no longer with us, and who knows how many years after that out of respect for his wishes.  I hope I’m alive for it.

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Disaster Box came out in Holiday 2019.  By then LLL had already tried and failed to kick off the Universal Heritage line with Sugarland in the summer of 2018

Hmm, I can't find the podcast where Mike discussed Sugarland, but I did transcribe Mike's quote about the aborted Intrada titles (and they were Rare Breed and Story of a Woman). For some reason I thought Intrada had attempted Sugarland as well but maybe I was getting confused:

On 12/11/2021 at 10:46 PM, crumbs said:

"Well, The Secret Ways would be very, very early... and I don't, in fact, know if anything exists on it. That was maybe... '61, or something? But yeah, The Rare Breed we have had transferred, and the Story of a Woman. Those were two that Intrada was going to do and went to John and, uh, he said no. I don't think that's a permanent no but, at least at that time, he did not want them to proceed, so... but I think eventually they'll come around."

I'm certain there's a podcast where Mike specifically mentions he had "an idea" about convincing JW about releasing Sugarland, so he probably discussed it there. Maybe it's not the Disaster podcast.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

I vaguely recall Mike talking about Sugarland somewhere once, yea

I may be completely wrong, but I seem to recall someone mention he talked about it when a bunch of you guys met in London for the Williams concert in 2018? It might be my memory failing, though.