James Horner's FIELD OF DREAMS (1989) - 2-CD La La Land edition (2022)

Jay

Looking at the tracklist for the OST, I recognise a lot of them, meaning I had the album in full in my collection at one point. However, the only track I can remember ever listening to was The Drive Home.

I've never seen the film so it'll be one of those cases where I find Horner's extended drama sequences too heavy.

Hope others enjoy :) 

How did Ark Square get the press release before LLL's emailer went out? 

Well, since they didn't include everything in it, here's the full press release

LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS
NEW RELEASES: FRIDAY, JANUARY 7, 2022

New Releases available to order starting FRIDAY JANUARY 7, 2021
at 12 noon (pst) at www.lalalandrecords.com

HAPPY 2022 EVERYONE!
Celebrate with our first releases of the New Year!

FIELD OF DREAMS: REMASTERED/EXPANDED LIMITED EDITION (2-CD SET)
LLLCD 1572
Music by James Horner
Limited Edition of 5000 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $29.98

STARTS SHIPPING JAN 7

La-La Land Records, Universal Pictures and Sony Music proudly present a limited edition, remastered and expanded 2-CD release of legendary composer James Horner’s (STAR TREK II – THE WRATH OF KHAN, GLORY, TITANIC) original motion picture score to the timeless 1989 baseball-themed drama FIELD OF DREAMS, starring Kevin Costner, James Earl Jones and Ray Liotta, and directed by Phil Alden Robinson. Maestro Horner’s score to this classic film is a pitch-perfect work that expertly blends synth and orchestra to create a beautiful and deeply-felt tapestry tinged with Americana. Horner’s home run of a score gets the deluxe treatment with this limited edition reissue, remastered from the original digital tapes and expanded with previously unreleased music. Disc One features the expanded original soundtrack, while Disc Two presents the re-mastered 1989 Original Soundtrack Album.

Produced by Mike Matessino and Neil S. Bulk and mastered by Matessino, this 2-CD release is limited to 5000 units and includes exclusive, in-depth liner notes by writer Jeff Bond and art design by Jim Titus.

TRACK LISTING:

DISC 1

Expanded Original Soundtrack 59:38
1 The Cornfield 5:36
2 The Voice At Night :46
3 The Vision 1:25
4 Deciding To Build The Field (Film Version) 5:49
5 Man On Your Lawn :19
6 Shoeless Joe 2:22
7 Night Mists (Film Version) 3:18
8 Old Ball Players (Film Version) 2:06
9 Dinner’s Ready 2:10
10 The Voice 1:09
11 The Library 2:32
12 I Had The Same Dream :33
13 “Moonlight” Graham 2:07
14 Terence’s Vision 1:05
15 The Timeless Street 2:41
16 I Play Baseball / I’m Archie :40
17 The Drive Home 2:17
18 Rookies :28
19 Night Game 1:37
20 The Magic Hit 1:01
21 The Decision 2:41
22 Doc’s Memories 3:21
23 The Place Where Dreams Come True 9:09
24 End Credits 4:12

Additional Music 10:49
25 Dinner’s Ready (Utility Take) 3:09
26 Deciding To Build The Field (Alternate) 5:51
27 Dinner’s Ready / The Voice (Film Combo) 1:43

Total Time Disc 1: 70:27

DISC 2
Remastered Original Soundtrack

1 The Cornfield 5:37
2 Deciding To Build The Field 5:54
3 Shoeless Joe 2:22
4 The Timeless Street 2:41
5 Old Ball Players 2:46
6 The Drive Home 2:17
7 Field Of Dreams 3:35
8 The Library 2:32
9 “Moonlight” Graham 2:07
10 Night Mists 4:23
11 Doc’s Memories 3:21
12 The Place Where Dreams Come True 9:09
13 End Credits 4:11

Total Time Disc 2: 51:00

Total Album Time: 2:01:27

https://secure.campaigner.com/csb/Public/show/4our-2hmd10--xo6fw-ag4f6q6

Hmm. So... About 10 minutes of new music? This is where I might scratch my head at including the original program rather than the three changed tracks. But I'll certainly buy it. I'll assume the sound is improved.

So traditionally when does this become available to order?

8 hours ago, Richard Penna said:

Looking at the tracklist for the OST, I recognise a lot of them, meaning I had the album in full in my collection at one point. However, the only track I can remember ever listening to was The Drive Home.

I've never seen the film so it'll be one of those cases where I find Horner's extended drama sequences too heavy.

Hope others enjoy :) 

Sometimes is crucial to see the film to understand the musical choices made by the composer. Field of Dreams is a masterful example of dramatic scoring and the music is very understated for the most part, getting big and more melodramatic only at the end, when it's absolutely worth it. I can even go beyond the somehow blatant Aaron Copland's lifts because they work wonderfully in the context of the score.

7 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Ordered. And now, by tradition, I can't listen to Field of Dreams until I get the new one.

Same here. I cannot play the previous album until I have the new one  in me hands

11 hours ago, Amer said:

Same here. I cannot play the previous album until I have the new one  in me hands

Most of the time it's not so bad. I mean other than deciding I can't have a thing makes me want it more. I listen to Field of Dreams occasionally but it's not one of my constant listens. But when it was The Rocketeer or The Wrath of Khan? That was rough.

Deciding To Build The Field 5:54 (insert is edited at a different point)

Not sure what that means. I was only barley able to figure out the difference between the two Genesis Countdowns on Wrath of Khan!

One disc is enough for the ost and any unreleased cues.

Screw these c and c editions with alternates ,  different mixes and " edit points"

I'm a fan , not a fanatical collector of cues.

Where is it written we must have every note written and recorded?.

No sale

20 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

One disc is enough for the ost and any unreleased cues.

Screw these c and c editions with alternates ,  different mixes and " edit points"

I'm a fan , not a fanatical collector of cues.

Where is it written we must have every note written and recorded?.

No sale

Why on earth does it matter if they release more than you want? Just make your own playlist, burn your own disc, whatever after the fact.

I now realize I probably shouldn't even bother asking this question, but oh well.

On 08/01/2022 at 7:01 PM, Tallguy said:

Deciding To Build The Field 5:54 (insert is edited at a different point)

Not sure what that means. I was only barley able to figure out the difference between the two Genesis Countdowns on Wrath of Khan!

Well, I'd speculate that "Deciding To Build The Field (Alternate)" is the original cue as first recorded by Horner.  And that some time later, the director asked for part of it to be replaced so an Insert which got recorded, and then edited into the film.

When assembling the original album, the Insert must have been edited in differently, most likely meaning either less or more of the insert was heard and more or less of the original cue remained.  I'd guess Horner did what sounded the best for the album, while for the film they did what worked best when synced to the footage.

For Genesis Countdown, the intended performance edit as made for the film was not used for the original OST album because of a loud noise on the recording, so they grabbed a bit of another take to replace the section with the noise.  IIRC since the new main program was built from the 1982 analog tape instead of the 1982 digital tape, the noise wasn't present there, so the intended performance edit could now debut outside the film.

Given the editing differences between the film and album versions of cues, and how well the OST arrangement worked, I think they did the right thing by presenting it on 2 CDs this way.

Ill likely listen to Cad 1 most often, but it is now debtor have the album sometimes.

Its not vital to have it, but it is nice.

In the recent years, I really love expanded releases which also features the original album mix (or even better a reconstruction).

So you have the choice, it's personal and it depends on the form you first discovered the music, you know.

14 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

You just don't understand.😒

Oh we understand, we just don't agree :lol:

Unfortunately you're after a middle ground in the market where you want to hear extra music, but not all the alternates and little extras found therein. Of course they have to make a profit, but the best preservation of the music is the primary driver, and if it spills over onto another disc in order to preserve both the album and the complete score.... so be it.

Think about how many times you'll play and enjoy the extra music, for a one-off extra $5. (and an extra $5 that helps LLL with their next release that you might want)

On 10/01/2022 at 3:32 AM, Bespin said:

In the recent years, I really love expanded releases which also features the original album mix (or even better a reconstruction).

So you have the choice, it's personal and it depends on the form you first discovered the music, you know.

Absolutely. I love the fact that the OST albums are remastered for an alternative listening experience. I must say the new WAR OF THE WOLRDS Remaster is so good and enjoyable now and its always my prefered listening experience on the go while the film experience is something I visit only occasionaly.

From a nostalgic point of view and becuase its more easy to relisten to the highlight- the OST program being part of expansion as a stand alone set is greatly welcomed. rehearing it in improved pristine masteroing is a bonus.

Ahhh this sounds terrific. Biggest surprise (and I don't know why, it's not like I don't the film) is The Decision. I definitely recognized it but it was never a track that I said "Why don't we have this?" And now we do.

Dinner's Ready is wonderful. All of the Big Band stuff is.

Really the mix is pretty amazing I think. Either that or it's a new toy and I'm just really paying attention.

I was a little disappointed that the otherwise excellent notes don't talk about any of the alternates or the differences in the album edits. (There is a brief mention of the alternate Deciding to Build the field.)

This and Always are nice to listen to back to back and are both terrific releases from the past 12 months. Thanks as ever LLL.

7 hours ago, Tallguy said:

Has everyone been to amazed at this set to talk about it? I mean, it's not a cue from an Indiana Jones movie (from the same year)... ;)

Well since everybody who has the ost already has almost all of it already.....

• 2 weeks later...

I did listen to it last night. It's a very good score actually, although the Copland references are distractingly hilarious. It does work very well though, dramatically. Liner notes are pretty good and the packaging is top notch. If you expect a grand sprawling James Horner you better stay away. The sheer majority of it is very small and intimate. 

Karol

• 3 weeks later...

The alternate of "Deciding to Build the Field" is kind of fascinating.   Like Horner did his usual vaguely Celtic synthy thing and the director was like "what's this gaelic shit, heartland rock pls"

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 07/01/2022 at 10:19 PM, Tallguy said:

Ordered. And now, by tradition, I can't listen to Field of Dreams until I get the new one.

On 08/01/2022 at 5:38 AM, Amer said:

On 08/01/2022 at 5:39 AM, Jay said:

I often do that too

I find the opposite, when something receives an expansion I often dig out the prior release and give it a whirl.