Michael Giacchino - Werewolf By Night (2022)

Alex

Michael Giacchino is no stranger to Marvel Studios, first working with the powerhouse studio on Doctor Strange in 2016, as well as the iconic fanfare that accompanied the new Marvel logo that debuted at the time. Giacchino would go on to compose music for Spider-Man: Homecoming, Spider-Man: Far From Home, Spider-Man: No Way Home, and the upcoming Thor: Love And Thunder. Giachhino definitely has much more experience as a composer, but he has directed a couple of shorts including an episode of Star Trek: Short Treks and Monster Challenge, a short film he not only directed, but wrote as well. A Marvel Disney Plus project would definitely bring Michael Giachhino to the next level as a director.

https://www.theilluminerdi.com/2021/12/23/rumor-marvel-michael-giacchino/

He wanted to be a director before he started composing, right? I seem to remember he's talked about making movies as a kid and he straight-up majored in Film Production at School of Visual Arts NYC...not sure what sort of musician he was before but I think he only started seriously taking classes in composition and orchestration as a graduate student. He's probably fulfilling a bit of a dream. 

I don't know about orchestral composers, but Prince obviously was a highly accomplished musician who won his Oscar for Original Song Score and then directed a few movies. There are several pop and rock artists who have directed, but Prince was in a bit of a league of his own there in terms of having an overall artistic vision for everything he did, even if the movies weren't exactly good (I've never seen them, besides Purple Rain which he didn't direct.) 

I think if Giacchino actually transitioned into directing his own movies and writing full orchestral film scores for them, that'd be something of a first....most director/composers write for smaller or alternative ensembles, or they have certain limitations musically. Amenabar writes relatively rich scores, he might be closest. Chaplin counts, I guess, but needed a lot of help to realize the music in his head. Benh Zeitlin is a director who shares co-composing credits but I remember a quote where he credited Dan Romer with being able to "see the matrix" musically. 

13 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

He wanted to be a director before he started composing, right? I seem to remember he's talked about making movies as a kid and he straight-up majored in Film Production at School of Visual Arts NYC...not sure what sort of musician he was before but I think he only started seriously taking classes in composition and orchestration as a graduate student. He's probably fulfilling a bit of a dream. 

This. Giacchino has always wanted to be a director. The title of the thread should read more like “Giacchino wants to direct a Disney+ project and has friends in high places.”

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah Ottman's a good call, although his directing career stopped there. 

I wouldn’t underestimate his contributions to Bryan Singer’s filmography. As editor and composer, you’re essentially making the film what it is at that point. 

• 2 months later...

I did recall that, although I haven't seen it... I was at first thinking Gia would be first to make the switch from Composer to Director, but looks like Ottman beat him to it.  I think Ottman was known for helping edit as well.  Any other composers that later directed, I wonder?

I remember hearing somewhere that the reason that scene in BoRhap turned out as badly as it did is because of a whole mess of circumstances.

Don't remember the exact details, but a combination of everyone not being on set at the same time for reshoots, as well as contracts stating that each band member needed to have an equal amount of screen time resulted in the scene that lives on in infamy. And apparently, it was still preferable to what was originally shot,  which was much worse.

Ottman got the Oscar specifically because his peers thought he did the best possible job anyone could have in rescuing that film. You heard that correctly: this was as good as it was gonna get with the footage that was available to work with.

On 25/02/2022 at 12:56 AM, AC1 said:

The whole world laughed at the editing of Bohemian Rhapsody? Wow, since when are people editing experts?

Check out this tweet

• 2 weeks later...

Please John Williams score this movie!

XD

Probably one of his sons will do it, so they have a full feature film on their shoulders and can sprout on their own if it succeeds.

Amazing, the guy is currently the most successful film composer at Hollywood after Hans, but no, his real dream was to become a director :conf::lol:

• 3 months later...

I hope one of Gia’s sons composes this, both because it would be a good test for them and because Gia has been unimpressive this year.

• 3 weeks later...