Ramin Djawadi - UNCHARTED (2022)

Edmilson

Ramin Djawadi is the composer for Ruben Fleischer's Uncharted adaptation:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/12/25/ramin-djawadi-scoring-ruben-fleischers-uncharted/

I just hope he'll use Greg Edmonson's classic theme from the games.

To be honest, he's perfectly suited for this. And I also do hope the video game themes make an appearance.

As for the film, I am definitely not excited. Why can't we just get another game?

Karol

29 minutes ago, crocodile said:

As for the film, I am definitely not excited. Why can't we just get another game?

I'd gladly take a soft reboot/prequel at this point. I'd be surprised if Naughty Dog don't have something in the works for PS5.

17 minutes ago, crumbs said:

I'd gladly take a soft reboot/prequel at this point. I'd be surprised if Naughty Dog don't have something in the works for PS5.

I really enjoyed the recent PS4 spin-off with Chloe. She's way more interesting than, say, Lara Croft. Wouldn't mind having more stuff with her.

Karol

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

And his work was mediocre, to put it mildly. A huge step down from Greg Edmonson's scores for the trilogy.

I still don't understand why he wasn't asked back for U4/LL.

Honestly I thought that too when I first heard it but it has grown on me. 

This movie looks ass anyway, hopefully we’ll at least get a good score out of it. I’m surprised Sony isn’t more protective of what is arguably their biggest franchise. 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I really enjoyed the recent PS4 spin-off with Chloe. She's way more interesting than, say, Lara Croft. Wouldn't mind having more stuff with her.

Karol

I've got that game but haven't played it yet. Definitely on my list!

I thought Jackman's scores were decent with a few highlights, but definitely has the overall RCP sound of processed brass, string ostinati and drum loops.

5 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

An Uncharted remake was in development with Sony Bend until the leads of that studio quit, and I believe it is now sitting with one of Naughty Dog’s teams along with a Last Of Us remake. 

4 hours ago, crumbs said:

And his work was mediocre, to put it mildly. A huge step down from Greg Edmonson's scores for the trilogy.

I still don't understand why he wasn't asked back for U4/LL.

Amy Hennig was fired off of Uncharted 4, and the project was restarted when Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley were asked to take over directing duties. They chose Henry Jackman. 

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Didn't Tom Cruise already do a pretty similar fight scene in MI Rogue Nation?

Yeah, but the Uncharted one has much more CGI and a more generic score.

On 26/12/2021 at 10:21 AM, crocodile said:

I appreciate that they consider the story finished and don't forcefully extend it to a point where it's only uninspired rehashes of the previous games. Although they kinda set up Sam as an option to continue without Nate, so why not. And yes, I did enjoy the Chloe spinoff (and even ended up liking the character).

As for the score, I expect about as much from Djawadi as from Jackman. I.e. almost nothing.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Didn't Tom Cruise already do a pretty similar fight scene in MI Rogue Nation?

The set piece in that clip is taken from the third game, released in 2011. So Tom Cruise stole it from Naughty Dog ;)

Watched the clip. Looks less "real" than how I remember it in-game. The actors also seem to be out-performed by their digital counterparts. The music is… barely there. I forgot to notice it until halfway into the clip, and once I did, I was surprised that it mostly doesn't even try to score the action, leaving lots of "ughs" and "ahs" without musical support - which again makes them sound more random and goofy than the partially dynamic (i.e. harder to control and balance) voice effects in the game.

• 1 month later...

I overslept and missed this press screening a few days ago. Zero connection to the game, but I have a feeling it is at least better than JUNGLE CRUISE. I suppose it's streaming for me, down the road.

Still waiting for Djawadi to wow me. I'll check out the soundtrack when I'm done with a few other things.

Played the first third of the album this afternoon - it's ok. Nowhere near as interesting as Eternals was but it had a handful of moments where perked up and really noticed it.

It's got its share of guitar-driven action which may not match a lot of tastes but I like it. If the rest of the album has some interesting material then it might be a purchase - we'll see when I get round to finishing it.

Also the album's only 50 mins - he's good at making a completely independent listening experience - a good thing in this case as there isn't a hope in hell that I'll ever watch the film.

I listened to what's supposedly the main theme on YouTube yesterday. Except I couldn't even remember a theme after it had ended. There was a melodic fragment repeated endlessly with about two and a half chords and barely any orchestrations (other than stuff to make it sound EPIC!!11) and later some drums. The film doesn't look promising at all, but it sounds like the score is still going to manage to drag it down.

Luckily I have the Edmonson game soundtracks.

Yeah, a very good example of the ghost-writer-type score malarkey infecting Hollywood. It's clear that Djawadi did the opening track which is decent. The rest is absolute nonsense......