What Is The Last Score You Listened To From 2022?

Jay

Here's the scores I'm looking forward to this year

Jan 28 - The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild (Batu Sener)

Feb 11 - Death on the Nile (Patrick Doyle)
Mar 4 - Batman (Michael Giacchino)
Mar 11 - Turning Red (Ludwig Gorannson)
Apr 15 - Fantastic Beasts 3 (James Newton Howard)
May 6 - Dr Strange 2 (Danny Elfman)
Jun 10 - Jurassic World 3 (Michael Giacchino)
Jun 17 - Lightyear (Michael Giacchino)
Jul 8 - Thor 4 (Michael Giacchino)
Sep 23 - Don't Worry Darling (John Powell)
Nov 23 - The Fabelmans (John WIlliams)

Composer unknown:

Mario Brothers movie

Undated:

Pinocchio (Desplat)
Pinocchio (Silvestri)
Knives Out 2 (Nathan Johnson)
Enola Holmes 2 (Daniel Pemberton)

So.... at what point do we stop posting 2021 scores we listen to in the "2021" thread and start posting them in the "older" thread?  I still dislike this system.  A single "last score you listened to" thread would be much more logical and I don't really understand why there must be multiple.

I think the 2021 thread will keep on going for quite a while. In fact, I'm listening rapidly through hundreds of 2021 scores at the moment, as is always the case at the end of a year/beginning of another. Won't get to 2022 untill, you know, films and soundtracks from 2022 are put out.

There's also another Wes Anderson movie due in 2022 titled Asteroid City, presumably with a Desplat score again, but I don't know if he's confirmed. EDIT: He is confirmed after all: https://filmmusicreporter.com/2021/11/10/alexandre-desplat-to-reteam-with-wes-anderson-on-asteroid-city/

WOAH! Amazing post @Mephariel!  Thank you for making that!  This is great!

Out of all the scores mentioned,  I'm most looking forward to Thor 4, Jurassic World 3, Fantastic Beasts 3, Doctor Strange 2, Knives Out 2, The Batman, The Last Of Us TV, and both Pinocchio scores!  Of course #1 above all of those is THE FABELMANS!!!!!!!!

I am very intrigued to find out who will score Next Goal Wins and the Mario movie, and very intrigued to find out what film it is that Powell is scoring.

On the video game front, I hope Earthblade drops in 2022 to hear Lena Raine's score to that!

I liked the music in the demo for Triangle Strategy, so look forward to the OST of the full game (not interested in playing it).

If Zelda Breath of the Wild 2 drops in 2022, I REALLY look forward to that score as well

Obviously the score I anticipate the more is The Fabelmans but looking forward for Knives Out 2, Thor 4, Doctor Strange 2, Jurassic World 3, Fantastic Beasts 3 and Black Panther 2

I'm curious about Obi-Wan, Avatar 2, the various Marvel's show (I suppose one of those will be scored by Beck, most likely Ms. Marvel), Turning Red and House of Dragons

As for the one not mentionned above I can't wait for The Orville Season 3 score to come up and JHN's Willow

Oh snap I completely forgot about Orville Season 3!  That's one of my most anticipated for sure!

Meh, this year I'm only hyped for FB3 and The Fablemans (assuming JW will score it). Oh, and maybe JNH's Willow, but I'm not sure it'll be released this year. It'd be cool if JNH did Black Adam too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Otherwise, a pretty meh year.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

You're not even looking forward to John Powell's new score?

I will when I know which movie he's scoring. If it's another Bourne-style thriller or another minimalistic electronic score, then my hype will decrease considerably.

After watching MI:6 I developed a small appreciation for Balfe's score, such that I have ~55 mins from the BD isolated score. It's still not a particularly good score for the most part but there is material to like.

Doesn't mean I'm necessarily 'looking forward' to the next one, but I'll give it a fair hearing.

Other than that, JW3, that movie Djawadi is doing, any new orchestral Powell scores and maybe Avatar 2.

Listed below is the complete catalog of 2022 scores available. 

2022 Film scores:

fenton_duke.jpg

George Fenton doing old-school 60s jazz -- I dig it! The film originally premiered at Venice film festival in 2020 already, then had a couple of regular premieres in 2021, but appears to be a 2022 film most other places (there have apparently been delays). So it's a bit all over the place. But since the soundtrack is being released by Moviescore Media now in February, I thought this was as good a thread as any.

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/01/2022 at 2:44 PM, Mephariel said:

Will Randy Newman return to score Lightyear for Pixar?

Giacchino got it

This means his 2022 slate is

• Mar 4 - The Batman (recorded September 2021)
  • Jun 10 - Jurassic World 3 (recorded April 2021)
  • Jun 17 - Lightyear
  • July 8 - Thor 4

This slate is spookily similar to his 2015 slate

• Feb 6 - Jupiter Ascending
  • May 22 - Tomorrowland
  • June 12 - Jurassic World
  • June 19 - Inside Out

Once again he's got a Pixar flick opening 1 week after a Jurassic flick.  What are the odds

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Giacchino got it

This means his 2022 slate is

• Mar 4 - The Batman (recorded September 2021)
  • Jun 10 - Jurassic World 3 (recorded April 2021)
  • Jun 17 - Lightyear
  • July 8 - Thor 4

This slate is spookily similar to his 2015 slate

• Feb 6 - Jupiter Ascending
  • May 22 - Tomorrowland
  • June 12 - Jurassic World
  • June 19 - Inside Out

Once again he's got a Pixar flick opening 1 week after a Jurassic flick.  What are the odds

...and 2015 was the first year I started feeling MG was starting to burn himself out a bit too now I look at it (Tomorrowland and JW were particular disappointments, although they've grown on me somewhat), so hope he isn't doing the same now, although looks like the actual writing and recording is better spread.

Yeah, Tomorrowland is one of his best.  It was probably the last Gia score I really loved.  There have been a few since that I enjoy, but don't love.  The two Apes scores I've never understood the adoration they get, I find them both pretty boring.

THE ICE AGE ADVENTURES OF BUCK WILD - BATU SENER

Thoroughly enjoying this. Sener can certainly pull-off a convincing and loyal impersonation of his mentor. What will be interesting is if this project serves as a launchpad for more solo work and we'll get to hear some of his own style. Exciting.

Don't Look Up

Watched the film last weekend and really enjoyed both the film and the music, pausing the former several times to find the latter on Spotify.

The album presentation doesn't do it any favours though. In a very, very rare occasion I'm going to complain not just about it being a 'collection of cues', but a collection of basically everything Britell wrote... which is everything. There's music from an advert-within-the-film, various corporate jingles regarding 'BASH', and even a track which appears to be some 'on hold' music. Plus a bunch of 'bonus' tracks which I can't place.

I think he successfully melded orchestra and jazz together as a general soundscape, but there's abzolutely zero effort in album production.

A prequel to Paramount's Yellowstone, which I never saw, but liked the music. This is very much in the same style, with the same composers (Tyler and Vivian), with not a lot of stylistic differences I could sense. Plus a new theme which is perfectly effective, but not remotely breaking any new ground. However, Tyler has never to me been a composer for whom interesting themes are a strength, and the Yellowstone theme doesn't do much for me.

Given that the Yellowstone season 4 score only came out relatively recently, it's pretty much like just getting two albums of new material from that world in close succession. It's fine mood music for background listening - just doesn't quite have the standout highlights that earlier seasons had. Also, this is vol 1, implying that there's more to come!

And Sener's Buck score up next!

Batu Sener - The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild

Woah!  I really liked this!  It reminded me of How To Train Your Dragon often, but not in a ripoff way at all.  I've honestly never listened to any of Powell's Ice Age scores, so had no idea they sound was this close to Dragon's.  I guess I'll have to check them out!

On 03/01/2022 at 6:44 AM, Mephariel said:

It has been said that Zimmer and RCP dominate the action adventure genre in the past 2 decades, and this year looks to be no different. After a derisive 2021, Holkenborg starts things off with the all-female spy film The 335. Man of Wrath’s Christopher Benstead returns with Operation Fortune: ruse de guerre, an action comedy undercover mission

On 29/01/2022 at 6:38 AM, Richard Penna said:

Don't Look Up

Watched the film last weekend and really enjoyed both the film and the music, pausing the former several times to find the latter on Spotify.

The album presentation doesn't do it any favours though. 

Seems to be a problem with a lot of Britell

• 2 weeks later...

cover.jpg

Hmm, interesting. Not a fan of Tyler in general, but when he does more lowkey affairs, I tend to take notice. This was FAR more melodic and sweeping than I expected, almost in the territory of his YELLOWSTONE work.

A-ha. Makes sense, then.

cover.jpg

While I was at it with the Tyler stuff -- this is also broadly sweeping, so much so it's almost too on-the-nose (a recurring problem with many of his scores). I think he's trying to outdo Barry or something. But like 1883, a positive surprise, thankfully free of Tyler's trademark pounding ostinati. Breton Vivian is a new acquaintance to me.

Batu Sener - The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild

On second listen, I liked it even more than the first.  Really fun!!

Joseph Shirley - The Book of Boba Fett

He did good work, though this is a CLEAR third place behind both Mandalorian season scores.  Most of the score relies on Ludwig Gorannson material - from both Mandalorian seasons, as well as the new main theme track that have several sections that get used as themes for different ideas.  Plus, there is some John Williams material.  So Shirley doesn't get to contribute any of his own recurring themes, but the way he balances all these existing ones, with his own set piece cues and incidental music, ends up working pretty well.

The score was released as 2 volumes and each flows OK, bar the source music that I feel should have been saved for some future source music of both shows mega album or something.  

2022 is off to a good start in my book!

97070.jpg

Longtime Martinez fan, so any new score by him is an "event" for me. Intriguing score for this latest Soderbergh film. Few steel drums here, and very discrete synth -- pretty much Herrmann-esque, with its "breathing" string structures. Kinda reminds me of Reznor and Ross' MANK last year, which also opened up new landscapes for them.

15 - Robert Burns Artwork.jpg

Didn't know where to put this. It's not classical, it's not rock/pop, it's not electronic, it's not film music. But I suppose the Doyle connection makes it closer to film music. Anyways, it's a fine little album where Doyle gets to showcase his piano chops -- sweet little, straightforward melodies. Don't know if the melodies are written by Burns himself, if they're traditionals or written by some other composer (the PR document doesn't say). While I do love solo piano, albums like this do get a bit samey eventually, though.

Second 1883 volume out. I had the first half or so playing last night - it's (fairly obviously) more of the same - a lot of underscore that doesn't do a massive amount, with the odd moment here which stands out. The completist in me is unlikely to let this go unpurchased as I'm a sucker for most western-related scores.

It may sound very Tyler, but I'm curious at how much of this is actually Breton Vivian (and possibly others). Recent discussions have thrown out in my mind any idea that this is a primarily Tyler product.

ab67616d0000b2732e467d14b1c2d7e9be49350d

I can't remember who said it earlier (publicist?), but he or she had a point. I don't know what's going on with Doyle these days. I'd like to think it's the industry rather than the man, because when he's not doing big studio films, he's his old self (like 2019's ALL IS TRUE). However, with big titles, even if they're directed by Branagh, it becomes stale and boring. Either approximating RCisms or without any of his delicate melodies and orchestrational details. There are a couple of decent tracks, but as a whole the same borefest that was MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS.

I think the first great cue of 2022 is this cue from Joseph Shirley's Book of Boba Fett score

Can't get it out of my head today!

I gave one listen to Giacchino's Batman score and wasn't wowwed, apart from some cool action material in the "A Bat In The Rafters" tracks.  I won't be revisiting it until after I see the movie, which might be this weekend!

Glad to hear that the Boba Fett debacle has produced some solid music -and to see that the action cue has orchestral performers? |Not the greatest music on any front.....Why do I listen to this,,,,,,

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I think the first great cue of 2022 is this cue from Joseph Shirley's Book of Boba Fett score

That's actually... quite... good. Crikey. It sounds almost Thomas Newman-y in parts. In a good way. Especially those few bars that lead into the Force theme (quite a lovely version of that by the way) at the beginning. Wow.

By the way, who the hell is Joseph Shirley?

He's a composer who has been working with Ludwig Goransson for a while; They two of them co-wrote the score to the film "Bad Trip" in 2019 (the film didn't release until 2021), and then Shirley provided additional music for Ludwig's Mandalorian scores throughout both seasons. 

We didn't know until the first Boba Fett episode premiered that Shirley was scoring the show (using Goranson's new theme suite, and various themes introduced in Mando); It had previously been announced that Goransson was scoring the show.

The main theme that recurs throughout the cue above is Goransson's theme for Grogru, a character from The Mandalorian who reappeared in The Book of Boba Fett.