What Is The Last Score You Listened To From 2022?

Jay

Top Gun: Maverick. As someone who had zero interest in watching this (and can barely remember the old one) I have to say the film was rather enjoyable. Bit cheesy and sentimental but in good kind of old fashioned way. Some really exciting action and visuals. Say what you want about Cruise but as a big screen star/producer he almost always delivers high standard of entertainment. And for that he deserves all the box office glory he gets.

Karol

Bridgerton: Season Two - Kris Bowers

I don't watch the show, but I really liked Bowers' music for the first season. The second is more of the same. It's pleasant undemanding stuff

On 23/06/2022 at 9:46 PM, crocodile said:

Top Gun: Maverick. As someone who had zero interest in watching this (and can barely remember the old one) I have to say the film was rather enjoyable.

It's a greatly entertaining film, but they should have used this theme instead:

Jurassic World: Dominion by Michael Giacchino

Despite being a very long album, I find it was really good. I've only found the track 17 and 18 to break a bit the really good pace of this score.

The final suite is absolutely great as all Gia's suites tend to be

Jurassic World: Dominion - Underutilized themes, stale action, a complete drop off from Fallen Kingdom personality wise. Giacchino no longer knows what he is doing with action cues. Just repeated blast of brass, with none of Williams' compositional storytelling or Zimmer's propulsive epicness. But whenever he revisits the old themes, even his own, I really enjoyed the score. Generous 3/5.

Prehistoric Planet - Absolutely fabulous main theme. Certainly Zimmer's best in the documentary genre. The rest of the score is good too. Clever use of various instruments to convey a sense of majesty and wonder. I will say that some of the music still felt too Zimmer-ish and there aren't really any stand out action pieces. I think PP is easily the better dinosaur entertainment piece compared to Dominion and the score is better as well. 4/5

Lightyear - Composition wise, I like it. It is definitely my favorite Giacchino score this year. The main theme is robust, true, and got plenty of attention on the album. The music just a tad to serious and stoic for me though. Even the main theme lacks the kind of vibrant fun that I was looking for. Plus, it just a tad to familiar to the genre. 3/5

Maika - Christopher Wong does it again. The main theme is not too unlike Lightyear, but with far more vibrancy and warmth. The rest of the score is a pleasant listen, but like Lightyear, a bit too similar to other scores of the genre. 3.5/5

Obi-Wan Kenobi by Natalie Holt, William Ross and John Williams

I'll try to stay mostly positive here

First thing first, obviously Obi-Wan continues to astonish me. It's such a great theme that the show clearly doesn't deserve!

About the Ross cues there all pretty good although I wasn't fully convinced by Some Things Can't Be Forgotten and I Will Do What I Must but the other one where great with really good rendition of the Williams theme (really loved the Leia quote in Saying Goodbye)

Now let's get to the Holt part. Overall it's okay, a nice RCP score with few good cues Order 66, Ready to Go or Hangar Escape. Sadly this has nothing to do here in SW. I'll end with the very bad point of the score which is this awful Darth Vader motif, so awful.

I don't know if there is much missing here as I've never passed the end of episode 3 but clearly I'm glad they didn't put a second volume for that show. I hope that we will all forget it fast and that it won't damage to much Holt's carreer

Blake Neely - The Flight Attendant Season 2 (OST)

Hmmm, not quite as much fun as the Season 1 OST, which kind of makes sense, because season 2 of hte show, especially in its second half, gets way more into the main character's alcoholism and has a run where the show isn't quite as fun as usual as a result.  But still, overall, both albums are very fun, I like them a lot!

On 28/06/2022 at 9:06 AM, Mephariel said:

Prehistoric Planet - Absolutely fabulous main theme. Certainly Zimmer's best in the documentary genre. The rest of the score is good too. Clever use of various instruments to convey a sense of majesty and wonder. I will say that some of the music still felt too Zimmer-ish and there aren't really any stand out action pieces. I think PP is easily the better dinosaur entertainment piece compared to Dominion and the score is better as well. 4/5

didn't he only co-write the title cue and/or theme it?

Michael Giacchino & Nami Melumad - Thor: Love and Thunder (OST)

Wow.  I just got done listening to the OST album and I can definitely say this is the least I have ever been into a Giacchino blockbuster score since I first got into him.

One problem with the album is that it feels disjointed - the rock and roll tracks just kinda show up from time to time without much lead in.  It almost feels like you're listening to two albums on shuffle mode.

Another problem is much of the music - themes and orchestration - is very similar to his prior works, especially Spider-man: No Way Home.  It's something I've never really encountered from his music before.

Overall quite the disappointment, though I am happy to reassess after I see the movie!

Natalie Holt & William Ross - Obi-Wan Kenobi (OST)

Finally gave this album a real listen and am not sure how I feel about it.  I think I feel like its... too short?  It's a weird hodge-podge of Holt doing her thing for an hour and Ross doing his thing for half-an-hour, all jumbled together.  Each time it jumps composers, it's a noticeable and distracting change of tone.

A whole 2 hour album of Holt's take on the show could be interesting, and of course I'd love to hear all the Williams and Ross recordings, because I feel like that ended up being long enough to sustain itself and tell its own story too.

Oh well.

:music: Thor: Love and Thunder. I actually quite enjoy it, definitely among the better Marvel scores from Giacchino (certainly superior to No Way Home). It doesn't aim to reach those melodramatic grandiose moment which I never respond to and instead focuses on character. I've always felt the composer is at his best when going for more intimate material. And he does quirky well too. Both of these things are on display here and they work nicely with Waititi's sensibilities. The Lannister-like main theme is nice. There's a bit of that chanting choir of doom that I don't like composer to do (ever) but it feels less grating with all those guitars. Not sure what co-composing process was actually like but it feels seamless. Melumad's take on Rozsa pastiche in the Zeus scene is hilarious. I prefer individual themes from Doyle's and Motherbaugh's is my favourite from the series but otherwise I would rank this as second best behind Ragnarok (and film even higher).

Karol

Beavis And But-Head Do The Universe - John Frizzel

Don't know the movie amd only ever saw an image of the characters, but wow, this score is great!

Big orchestral, thematic, choir.

One of the best surprises of the year.

7 hours ago, Will said:

Charming little score from Conrad Pope:

Nice. But especially towards the end latest at the part with the pizzicato strings it sounds like 100% Thomas Newman to me. Six Feet Under or something like that.

6 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Video unavailable... what score is this? Always enjoy some Conrad Pope.

The Sound of Violet. Does this work? 

:music: Lightyear. It's fine I supppose, pleasant all the way through, but feels very workmanlike. Doesn't really have anything to distinguish itself. Definitely Giacchino's weakest this year.

Karol 

On 09/06/2022 at 11:11 PM, publicist said:

As usual, Cronenberg-Shore is the best Shore.

Just saw this yesterday and thought the score worked very effectively; easily the most distinctive score that I've heard in a long time, and that probably had to do with how prominently it was mixed in the film. Still trying to find the cue heard in the dance performance by the body artist with multiple ears

22 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Just saw this yesterday and thought the score worked very effectively; easily the most distinctive score that I've heard in a long time, and that probably had to do with how prominently it was mixed in the film. Still trying to find the cue heard in the dance performance by the body artist with multiple ears

That’s “Klinek” :)

Mark Mancina - The Sea Beast

Woah, this is great!  The very first track is a great album opener and sets the tone nicely for the rest of the album.  There was a song in the middle I didn't car for, and one track that reminded me too much of Elfman's Planet of the Apes, but overall this was a good, solid album!  A bit short though - it just ends abruptly kinda!  I wish it ended with a nice suite of themes!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Mark Mancina - The Sea Beast

Woah, this is great!  The very first track is a great album opener and sets the tone nicely for the rest of the album.  There was a song in the middle I didn't car for, and one track that reminded me too much of Elfman's Planet of the Apes, but overall this was a good, solid album!  A bit short though - it just ends abruptly kinda!  I wish it ended with a nice suite of themes!

I quite like it too. Somebody previous mentioned a possible temp-track of JNH's The Water Horse [which, incidentally, I consider massively underrated], and I think I can hear it.

Paws Of Fury: The Legend Of Hank - Bear McCreary

YESSSSSS. Fantastic score!! I've been listening to it all morning. The main theme is stuck in my head, it's soo catchy.

For me the score is a great mix between McCreary's own style, Lalo Schifren, Bill Conti & Zimmer & Powell's Kung Fu Panda scores.

The use of funk together with the orchestra and Chinese instruments is absolutely amazing!

And the 2 songs at the beginning of the album are also both a hoot. Especially Blazing Samurai which is build on the main theme of the film.

2 animated scores from McCreary, Animal Crackers and this. Both couldn't be more different, but this is definitely my favourite. I love it

:music: Jurassic World: Dominion. Listening to the shorter CD programme. It works well enough for the most part but it is strange to hear the extended playlist before this. And while I am fine with the track selection it is strange not to have some cues. I'm not as bothered by the absence motorcycle chase, which sounds oddly out of place anyway (almost like something from Speed Racer), but I certainly do miss the opening ranch rescue. Overall, I do enjoy this score, other than some really strange usage of John Williams material. Oddly, this programme feels more JW-heavy. But it's best when Giacchino sticks to his own material. That was the case with previous scores as well. Some of the suspense and action stuff is quite good.

Karol

Mychael Danna - Where the Crawdads Sing

Nice score with some heavy influences of American folk music. Reminds me a little of Danna's great Ride with the Devil. It's very textural, but also warm and nostalgic.

Bear McCreary - Paws of Fury

I forgot to mention in this thread how much I like this score; Already listened to it twice!  It's my favorite score of the year so far

27 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Mychael Danna - Where the Crawdads Sing

Nice score with some heavy influences of American folk music. Reminds me a little of Danna's great Ride with the Devil. It's very textural, but also warm and nostalgic.

Like the sound of that. Thanks!

Abels' score to NOPE is great - it's so great to hear horror music that actually uses the orchestra as the foundation for all kinds of wild atonal wonderings instead of the by-now usual sound design-y bores and groans that populate the genre. There's something very Goldsmithian in his approach, both the main title music with its abstract-like approach and the general dynamic orchestration. And some very Goldenthal-like sounds from 2:10:

And whatever the original source for Run Urban Legends, it's seriously frigging awesome!

League Of Super-Pets - Steve Jablonsky

I think it's great and for me up there with the other animated scores this year like Mancina's The Sea Beast, Sener Ice Age score, Goransson's Turning Red & Pemberton's The Bad Guys.

McCreary's Paws Of Fury is still the best score for an animated film this year, but this is definitely Jablonsky's best score.

It's a ton of fun, fully orchestral with some synth/electronics + a big choir.

It has at least 3 themes.

One for the Super-Pets/Superman's dog: it starts out like it's going into Williams' Superman theme sometimes. Very clever writing. It's great theme, very catchy.

One for the villain: Big brass, choir & percussion. This is where most of the electronics are used.

One emotional/friendship theme. Lovely writing for strings and woodwinds, with added horns and sometimes guitar.

It's all very straightforward hero-villain material, but that's what it needs to be in a movie like this

He also included a few statements of a few iconic themes from DC.

John Williams' Superman Theme in Leaving Krypton, A Hunk Of Jarlsberg & Super Dork

Danny Elfman's Batman Theme in Terrifying Villains, Deadly Assassins & Super Family.

In the first cue 'Leaving Krypton' there is a full on quote of The Fortress Of Solitude. Terrific.

And on YouTube it says that in Terrifying Villains, Deadly Assassins the theme from Wonder Woman by Charles Fox & Norman Gimbel is used.

15 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

And on YouTube it says that in Terrifying Villains, Deadly Assassins the theme from Wonder Woman by Charles Fox & Norman Gimbel is used.

It so is!

I liked it. But since I'm the kind of person that hangs around here I'm going to go listen to Superman now. I'm looking forward to the film, but I can't justify the popcorn so I'll wait for home video.

Actually, I'm listening to Krypto the Superdog and if the whole score was more like this it would have been a home run. As it is, it's just "really good".

I think JW's Krypton theme plays more than any of the other legacy themes. And he does a really good job with it.

After watching the movie, i plug again for Shore's Crimes of the Future. 76-year old Shore operates successfully in light club techno EDM spheres here, meaning the kind of idiom popularized by the likes of Daft Punk, Clint Mansell & Co. Fittingly for a Cronenberg movie, Shore enriches this with his more operatic 'big movie' writing, i. e. sonorous strings and an ascending/descending low horn call.

It's another proof that of the two distinct sides of Shore, the conventional-if-often-leaden LOTR-style and the odder, experimental side, the last one clearly wins out (IMHO!). It's reserved foremost for his longtime collaborator, director David Cronenberg, who's fond of unorthodox music and Shore validated Cronenberg's trust in him again and again. Though it needs to be said that it's not a *hard* listen at all!

With 38 minutes it also doesn't outstay its welcome, though by its nature there are quite a few atmospheric moments. 

On 20/07/2022 at 7:37 AM, Edmilson said:

It's calmer and less crowdpleasing than Ride, but still pretty good and the main theme is surprisingly memorable.

I think it's based around the Taylor Swift single for the movie, right?

Listened to the incidental music for a new play adaptation of The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe, composed by a fella named Benji Bower.  The play I believe is currently running in London.

It’s obviously low budget but is quite pretty and atmospheric in places, there’s a fun song for Father Christmas.  Not sure I’ll return to it much, there’s really not much there, but it’s nice enough.  Any Narnia fans should definitely check it out; we don’t often get new musical interpretations of that world.

https://benjibower.bandcamp.com/album/lion-the-witch-and-the-wardrobe

CF20B31D-873F-4521-83B6-752622527BA9.jpeg

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/prey-original-soundtrack/1636383813

I don't know the Predator scores very well (seen the 1st one and dug Silvestri's work). On Twitter, director Dan Trachtenberg has suggested that Sarah Schachner "rekindles GIANT movie themes with modern sensibilities". Does anyone on here recognize any prior themes in these samples?

image.png

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

3 times?

Predator 2, Predators and The Predator. All of these used Silvestri's material extensively. Not much else they could squeeze out of it, time for something else. 

Karol