What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2022 films)

Jay

Here's what I'll probably see this year

Feb 7 - The 355
Feb 11 - Death on the Nile, I Want You Back
Feb 18 - Uncharted
Feb 25 - 
Mar 4 - Batman
Mar 11 - Turning Red
Mar 18 - 
Mar 25 - The Lost City
Apr 1 - 
Apr 8 - 
Apr 15 - Fantastic Beasts
Apr 22 - The Northman
Apr 29 - Memory
May 6 - Dr Strange 2
May 13 - 
May 20 - Downton Abbey 2
May 27 - 
Jun 3 - 
Jun 10 - Jurassic World 3
Jun 17 - Lightyear
Jun 24 - The Black Phone 
Jul 1 - 
Jul 8 - Thor 4
Jul 15 - Bullet Train
Jul 22 - 
Jul 29 - Black Adam
Aug 5 - 
Aug 12 - 
Aug 19 - 
Aug 26 - 
Sep 2 - 
Sep 9 - 
Sep 16 - 
Sep 23 - Don't Worry Darling
Sep 30 - 
Oct 7 - Spider-verse 2
Oct 14 - 
Oct 21 - 
Oct 28 - 
Nov 4 - The Flash, untitled David O Russel
Nov 11 - Black Panther 2
Nov 18 - 
Nov 23 (25) - Fabelmans
Dec 2 - 
Dec 9 - 
Dec 16 - Avatar 2, Aquaman 2
Dec 21 (23) - Mario
Dec 25 (30) - Babylon

undated:

Clerks III
Gray Man
Cha Cha Real Smooth
Emily The Criminal
When You Finish Saving The World
Pinocchio
Pinocchio
Knives Out 2
Enola Holmes 2

• 2 weeks later...

The 355

I went because of the great cast and nothing else.

As predicted the story isn't very good, too stereotyped and not in a very fun way like a Kingsman but in more serious Jason Bourne type. Kinberg direction is okay, a bit too shaky sometimes but fine overall.

The cast is simply a guilty pleasure, there's no big performance but a very nice chemistry between the characters, really liked the trio Chastain, Kruger and Nyong'o

A word about Holkenborg's score, it's a fine action score with lot of similarities with his Tomb Raider score from which he apperently temped the main theme

Scream.

I thought it was terrific. Wes Craven is all over this film, with even a character named after him, which was nice.
The kills were very strong and inventive.
The cast was also very good. David Arquette was the stand-out. Neve Campbell & Courtney Cox were also very strong. The new cast all deliver. My favorite might be Jenna Ortega.

The directors, who made Ready Or Not (great film), really made a Scream film. From the opening scene on, you know it's Scream and it feels like Scream.
The killer was a genuine surprise and the script was very clever.

I thought Tyler's score was great. Would of course have been great to have Beltrami back, but the scores fits the franchise really well.
Lot's of brass and slashing strings. I thought it was strong.

I've seen it as well. I didn't find it as lean or as fun as the previous ones. But it was still entertaining enough. Tonally something often felt off. But that doesn't matter. One of the brilliant things about it is that it doesn't matter whether you make a good one or a bad one because they can still work regardless. 

My favourite moment? 

Spoiler

Sidney hanging up on the killer after remarking "I'm bored" or something like that. Very Linda Hamilton in T2. 😂

Karol

• 4 weeks later...

I watched this without sound (it's probably better that way anyway) and was actually fascinated by the setting. Video already has got 12 million views. 

Jackass Forever - of course by now Johnny Knoxville, Steve-O, Wee Man et al are surely old enough to know better ... but saints be praised, they do it anyway. Gloriously, wincingly, hilariously puerile.

It goes without saying that Moonfall is the greatest film of all time about the moon being ...edited because someone complained.

It goes without saying that Moonfall is the worst film of all  time about the moon being ..... edited to make the complainer feel better when he sees this film.

So far they have made ONE.

BOTH statements remain absolutely true. 

Since I didn't buy the tickets I appreciate going to movies even if I have already seen several movies since 

Lol No doubt you are being ridiculous.

Titanic sinks, 

Kong falls, 

Vader's a dad,

And everything discussed is in the preview or commercials

Can't wait for the sequel.

Im lying I can.

Bah, it’s common sense for a movie that’s barely 24 hrs old and you can’t really compare this to Titanic or pop culture staples such as King Kong or Star Wars.

Not everyone has seen the trailers… Not even read any previews. I just knew the director and the poster.

Stupid as anyone may think that is, just be polite and recognize you’re at fault here, fix your posts and say ‘sorry’. Then, no harm, no foul. No biggie.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Which we all know is a fact, we don't have to see the movie for that, but a hollow moon? 

I shouldn't have used hollow. It is not hollow.

That's no moon. 

That's a space station.

I have a bad feeling about this place.

The moon in the film is a moon. It falls. It also rises. 

That is true and not a spoiler. 

The boxoffice does not bode well for the sequel which Roland E says would be epic like The Empire Strikes Back.

5 hours ago, May the Force be with You said:

whaaaaaaaat???

Spoiler Alert

Well condoms are only 97% effective, Its on the box.

End spoiler.

Death On The Nile - Kenneth Branagh gives Hercule Poirot's 'leetle grey cells' a workout for the second time. It's a good-looking adaptation, and from what I can gather (having neither read the Christie novel or seen any previous versions) the details of the central murder remain basically intact. However, some 'for a modern audience' touches grated a bit and ultimately meant I think I enjoyed this less than Branagh's take on Murder On The Orient Express.

Moonfall

A fun brainless disaster movie, the SFX are quiet good dispite the B-Movie style but sadly the music was pretty bad.

Death on the Nile

In the same vein as the first one but with a less interesting cast and a poor Doyle music. Overall pretty nice

Yeah it was quite shocking. I would love to see him collaborate with Arnold again or at least Steve Jablonsky who could offer a more epic and melodic score that would more suited his movies (obviously Williams would be the best but I'm not sure he would like to do any of this)

Watched the new Texas chainsaw massacre on Netflix before going to bed last night. It was bad. I knew it would be bad. But I heard that it was a true gorefest. And I wanted to see that. I got what I asked for. 

This is what the success of the Halloween remake has given us.

Uncharted - whilst we await Indy 5, this videogame adap action-adventure with Tom Holland, Mark Wahlberg and Antonio Banderas will do nicely. Admittedly it may have helped that I'm a big fan of the games in question, but I thought this was great fun ... really appreciated the Nolan North cameo, and the game theme being part of the score. 

I think from what i know of this year I'd like to see some things. Irati is a fantasy adventure movie set in the earlier middle ages and shot in reconstructed old Basque that doesn't even have a trailer yet, but could be interesting. The Northman as well. Probably some others.

Uncharted: If you know the games then this'll be alright and as far as video game adaptations it isn't hit with the curse. If you don't know the games , then this is every treasure-hunting film rolled into one with little to none of it's own unique identity. There's just enough charisma in Holland and Wahlberg to carry this film and the elements that make the games interesting are at least replicated here albeit, in a paint-by-numbers fashion.

I think this has garnered quite the box-office returns in order for a sequel to be produced, in which case they need a better writer and a better director...

Uncharted

A pretty good adventure movie. Holland and Wahlberg make a really good duo, the story is pretty fun however the movie would have benefit of a better director and composer (even though I usually like Djawadi, the music lack of adventure IMO and is very forgettable)

4 hours ago, Arpy said:

Uncharted: If you know the games then this'll be alright and as far as video game adaptations it isn't hit with the curse. If you don't know the games , then this is every treasure-hunting film rolled into one with little to none of it's own unique identity. There's just enough charisma in Holland and Wahlberg to carry this film and the elements that make the games interesting are at least replicated here albeit, in a paint-by-numbers fashion.

I think this has garnered quite the box-office returns in order for a sequel to be produced, in which case they need a better writer and a better director...

One noticeable omission from the games was Sully not saying 'Goddamn!' even once, but now that I come to think of is there something about 'blasphemous' expletives only being permissible in R-rated-and-upwards movies in the States?  

• 2 weeks later...

The Batman

As a huge Batman fan, I was really looking forward to a proper, stand-alone, Batman movie, disconnected from expanded cinematic universe shenanigans. And I mostly got that.

First of all, I don't think Batman himself has ever looked better than this in live action. From the costume design, the really fantastic cinematography, the way Pattinson walks and carries himself, this Batman just looks intimidating, absolutely commands any room he's in. He's imposing, without feeling bulky and still retaining a sense of agility. Truly, this is the best visual representation of the character thus far.

Aslo, it's nice to see a Gotham that looks like a proper shithole, while still feeling like a very unique, idyosyncratic place. It's opressive, dirty, rainy, but it really doesn't feel like a generic major city, at all.

However, I also think this movie has an excess of plot at the expense of story. I suppose Reeves was so dead-set on doing a Batman detective story, that the twists and turns just pile up without any real impact and makes the runtime feel absolutely unwarranted. I was absolutely enthraled with the movie for the first 20 minutes or so, as the way this world was presented was absolutely spot on. But after, it really starts to drag.

The cast is good across the board, without any real standouts, though. Pattinson, like I said above, makes for a fantastic Batman, but for a really dull Bruce Wayne. Jeffrey Wright is a good choice for Gordon, but the character seems to lack agency, always trying to follow in Batman's lead. Dano is good, but the character feels generic and they try to make him scary with a somewhat cliched aproach. Andy Serkis doesn't do much and I felt his relationship with Bruce was lacking in warmth. 

I also wish they would really embrace the Catwoman persona in Selina's Kyle portrayal. In a way, this movie takes a very similar aproach to the character as The Dark Knight Rises did, and while the performance itself is good, the character ends up a feeling as a somewhat generic cat-burglar, without retaining anything particularly distinctive about the Catwoman character. I really think she could  benefit from a slightly more "comic-booky" aproach.

The score is generic, viewing the movie did not increase one bit my appreciation for it.

These are just a few scattered thoughts, so I apologize for the lack of structure. To sum it up: it looks great, Batman himself has never looked better, nice to see again a Gotham City that doesn't look or feel generic, but the movie tries to cram too much plot without really having the story or the character work to support it. Also, the very last scene was quite bad.

The Mrs and I have tickets to see this tonight at the cinema with some friends of ours.  Feels good to be going out to see a movie on a Friday night with friends again!

I have no idea how we'll sit, but I'd speculate Marcy will sit next to Jen, because they are best friends and have been since college.  Tim and I will probably sit on the outside next to our wives.  But maybe we'll sit together and leave the girls to themselves.  Who knows!

On 03/03/2022 at 10:06 PM, Romão said:

The Batman

7 hours ago, Jay said:

The Mrs and I have tickets to see this tonight

epd6ZTqvd3zHdD4kQGFhQ5.jpg

The Batman

I really enjoyed this. Easily the best looking Batman film so far. This is an impeccably shot and staged film. Gotham feels alive and oozes personality in a way that its predecessors haven't quite been able to. And I liked the noir genre for the most part, although all its twists and turns start to lose steam halfway through. And the ending is essentially a riff on The Dark Knight, without the same punch. But stylistically, it knocks it out of the park. You can excuse some of the shakier writing for all the film's cinematic heft. The cast is strong, but Paul Dano doesn't really bring anything especially new to the role (it pales in comparison to any other psycho/crazy role he's done). Andy Serkis is wasted, Jeffrey Wright makes a great Commissioner Gordon and both Pattinson and Kravitz own their roles well, even if they have no real chemistry together. The score is serviceable and shines the most during the Penderecki knock-offs, but other than that, nothing to write home about.

It's not the best Batman film across the board, but it is quite good.

9 hours ago, Bespin said:

Tell me where you seat in a cinema and I'll tell you who you are.

One or two rows before the center row and right in the middle. 

Who am I?

Studio 666 - in much the same way that in the first 'summer of Covid' the movie we needed was the goofily good-natured Bill And Ted Face The Music as opposed to the pretentious Tenet, this comedy-horror starring the Foo Fighters is a far more welcome slice of escapism from the unfolding situation in Ukraine than the 3-hour Batman gloom-fest.

It's a little overlong sure, but there's still plenty of splattery fun to be had as the band decamp to a house to record their 10th album only to find that the place is beset by eeeeevil.

EDIT: Dammit, I obviously meant this for the 2022 movies thread. I clearly haven't had enough caffeine yet. 

EDIT 2 : Either admin moved the post (in which case, thanks!) or I didn't actually initially post this in Upcoming Films like I thought I had. Or I'm losing my mind ... wibble wibble teapot.   

The Batman (2022)

Sorry Nolan and Wally Pfister, but this is THE best looking Bat-film. Matt Reeves and Greig Fraser are a wonderful Dynamic Duo. It's amazing how most of the scenes are at night, during the rain or covered in darkness and you still can understand clearly what is happening, who is fighting who, etc. It puts to shame all those other blockbusters with fight scenes during the day but you have no idea of what is happening.

I loved the noir-ish Gotham, the production design is pretty good. The town certainly does have a creepy atmosphere that is both gritty and hypnotic. 

The plot is pretty good, but it does get a little convoluted at the end. Still, the movie's pacing is great, I never felt tired during the almost 3 hour runtime.