What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2022 films)

Jay

Turning Red

While the earlier Pixar movies were focused in adults, with children only as supporting characters (like Andy, Boo, Nemo, Dash, etc.), this new generation of Pixar is centered around kids dealing with growing pains. Inside Out, The Good Dinosaur, Onward, Luca and now Turning Red are movies which use their fantastical setting to tell coming-of-age stories that feel very personal to their directors.

Anyway, this is a very fun and clever movie. I really liked it! It's like a love letter to Toronto. 

4/5

• 2 weeks later...

Deep Water (2022)

Deep-Water-e1647403713431.jpg

Adrian Lyne's latest erotic thriller starring Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas (photo) starts fairly entertaining but gets ridiculous in the second part. 4/10

I just watched Ambulance. Cool film, nothing really new but very enjoyable. Maybe a tad too long. I did really like the shots they did with the drones.
Gyllenhaal's character is a maniac and and psycho, he played it very well. Such a great actor. Mateen II was good and Gonzalez was very strong.
I do think this is Bay's best film since the '90's.
Balfe's score worked great in the film, I'm not sure it will on album. Although I do think it will benefit from having seen the film. We'll see (hear) in 2 weeks when the album comes out.

6 hours ago, AC1 said:

Deep Water (2022)

Deep-Water-e1647403713431.jpg

Adrian Lyne's latest erotic thriller starring Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas (photo) starts fairly entertaining but gets ridiculous in the second part. 4/10

I wasn't fan of that movie either. It's an erotic thriller that is not as sexy, smart or psychologically complex as it could've been. And the ending is ridiculous (I loled when Affleck hopped on a bike to give chase to an automobile).

Ambulance

A fun and explosive robbery movie. You can see how much fun Bay must have had while shooting it (damn those drones sequences where fun).

Sadly it's not Jablonsky at the music, too bad the two do not work together anymore

It’s also got a very timely and poignant theme at its emotional core. It will speak to anyone who is struggling to deal with the state of permacrisis the world is currently experiencing. A nice dose of authentic optimism in a very dark time.

I need to see it again ASAP!

I watched it over the weekend and yeah, the hype is real. It starts off as a frenetically paced family drama before it becomes utterly unhinged, and yet miraculously coherent with a very strong emotional core that powers through it.

It's totally bonkers, with both infantile and high concept humour, broad multiverse scope and intimate family drama, laughs and tears, all in one. 

I was reminded of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind here – both emotional stories about love and family told through a heavily sci-fi-tinged lens, where weird, funky stuff happens that threaten to disintegrate any focus but yet somehow manages to not just work, but refine and concentrate the emotional theme that courses through their veins. This has more wacky stuff that's probably more mainstream though, and has a lighter tone overall... except in parts where the emotions really kick in.

Time will tell if it is as good as ESOTSM, but I certainly can't remember being that elated by a movie at the cinema for a long, long time.

PS: if anything, this movie shows that however decent Marvel makes their movies and multiverses, it's still very much confined by its comic book trappings. This on the other hand, is totally unencumbered by anything and flourishes from start to end.

PPS: I was deeply unsettled by the familiarity of Waymond in the first 20 minutes before coming to the suspicion that HE MUST BE SHORT ROUND FROM TEMPLE OF DOOM. It was the first thing I googled after the movie ended. Unbelievable. His voice has barely changed.

56 minutes ago, Hurmm said:

PPS: I was deeply unsettled by the familiarity of Waymond in the first 20 minutes before coming to the suspicion that HE MUST BE SHORT ROUND FROM TEMPLE OF DOOM. It was the first thing I googled after the movie ended. Unbelievable. His voice has barely changed.

I know right?! He even got a sly reference line saying “very funny” a couple of times. Inspired.

Watched Death on the Nile on Disney+ last night. Didn't even realise it was on there. Suppose it was better than the old movie but that's hardly a challenge. It was weaker than the Orient Express though and some CG background shots looked bit wonky. I am not sure why they need to make this Poirot so depressing. I this necessary? Some of the more "location setting" bits of Patrick Doyle's score were really nice actually.

Karol

I watched both Orient Express and Murder on the Nile today.

The former was okay - the 'revelations' were a bit different I suppose and Branagh clearly has fun, but it fell a bit flat overall. I barely noticed Doyle's score outside of a few cues featuring the 'Justice' theme.

I enjoyed Nile a lot more as more happens in it, it has the benefit of wonderful location shots, although as crocodile mentions, a few CG shots looked a little odd - mainly the initial kite/painting scene where I'll eat my hat if they even shot that outdoors, and one or two flyover shots which look like they're from a very high budget video game. Doyle's music is appropriately flavoured, this time with a very noticeable set of themes. I should've seen the 'mystery' coming a mile off though - when you look back at the setup, there's some garden path activity going on.

Both films suffer a bit from the problem of spending a half hour or so establishing that everyone on board has a motive, with some 'stories' being way more interesting and intelligible than others, and knowing that ultimately most of them won't actually matter.

I'll give the Nile album a spin and could conceivably pick it up, but that's not gonna happen with Orient, which isn't a film that struck me as needing much more than tension scoring for the most part.

Uncharted

Saw it at the theater. It was great to see a film that I didn't know all of the characters and plot going in. But it was Uncharted so "predictable tropes that we love" is apparently kind of the brand. I liked it. I'd see another one. Holland is just terrific.

Oh, whoever cut the trailer for this was (mostly) a genius. In the opening shot of the film I realized that the scene I thought was giving the whole movie away was the opening! (There is a stupendously spoilery shot. But oh well.)

Death on the Nile

I liked it. My wife is a huge Agatha Christie fan and we've seen all the Suchet episodes. So she doesn't like Branagh. I get it. But I think even is he isn't an "off the page" Poirot like Suchet (he is in an on foot chase scene in BOTH movies). I just really like watching him play this part.

I liked the cast. Apparently the way that we'll address adapting old works but with a diverse cast is to mostly pretend nobody notices? I mean, it's an approach. Maybe it's not even a bad one. (One upper class character's objection to a mixed-race couple is that one of them is American? In 1937?)

In Orient Express the one person who I thought played the role better than in any adaptation I had seen was Johnny Depp. Nobody hit that kind of home run in this film.

But wow it was a pretty film.

35 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

In Orient Express the one person who I thought played the role better than in any adaptation I had seen was Johnny Depp. Nobody hit that kind of home run in this film.

That's interesting, because I thought that he was, by a country mile, the most phoned-in performance of an otherwise great cast and it didn't strike me that he really fit the role. Maybe if he had more screen time my opinion may change, but I wasn't impressed by what I saw.

On 02/04/2022 at 9:18 PM, Tallguy said:

I liked the cast. Apparently the way that we'll address adapting old works but with a diverse cast is to mostly pretend nobody notices? I mean, it's an approach. Maybe it's not even a bad one. (One upper class character's objection to a mixed-race couple is that one of them is American? In 1937?)

Indeed. Another example is the revelation concerning the woman and her nurse played by Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French ... it adds absolutely zilch to the story, it's just in there in the interests of supposedly *being relevant to a modern audience*. Quite tiresome.  

In the series 'So bad that you keep watching': 

1139736.jpg

My guess was that it would have gotten a measly 18% on Rotten Tomatoes. I was wrong. It's 17%! 

3 minutes ago, AC1 said:

In the series 'So bad that you keep watching': 

1139736.jpg

My guess was that it would have gotten a measly 18% on Rotten Tomatoes. I was wrong. It's 17%! 

Is it just me or does the girl in the poster look exactly like Shailene Woodley?

3 minutes ago, Mr. Who said:

Is it just me or does the girl in the poster look exactly like Shailene Woodley?

Maybe it's the poster?

thumb_D75CD5E5-0A6B-40CA-8CE8-D7FE7946CA

There are worse things than death like Death on the Nile.

Its a film that reminds one of the Neverending Story, or The Curious Case of Benjamin Button 🔘, even A.I.. MOVIES that cause the watcher to languish between life and wanting death. 

In layman's terms, Jesus Fucking Christ get on with it.

I Want You Back' Romcom Trailer Stars Jenny Slate, Charlie Day - Variety

I Want You Back

Very charming rom-com that actually doesn't suck.  The great Jenny Slate and Charlie Day meet and become friends shortly after being dumped by their last partners (Scott Eastwood and Gina Rodriguez), and concoct a plan to help each other win their ex back.  Of course you know how it's going to end, but it doesn't really feel forced because the whole cast is charming throughout, including Rodriguez's new boyfriend Manny Jacinto (from The Good Place).  It's on Amazon Prime

What Does [SPOILER] Mean for THE BATMAN's Universe? - Nerdist

The Batman

I saw this in the theater and quite enjoyed it.  The story was actually compelling, Pattison was good as Batman (not so much as Bruce Wayne though), Dano was decent as the Riddler, Zoë Kravitz was really good as Catwoman, Colin Farrell had a lot of fun as the Penguin, Jeffrey Wright was a cool Gordon who pretty much acted as Batman's equal partner throughout, and Andy Serkis was terrific as Alfred, though he was drastically underused.  I'd see it again and continue to look forward to Matt Reeve's films.

Death On The Nile

Jeez, I’m grumpy nowadays. I didn’t like this at all.

Someone said earlier that the FX (backgrounds and such) is a bit “wonky”. To say the least! A lot in this movie feels off, but I guess that’s the style they’re going for, since right from the opening shot it feels fake as f* (I’m thinking about the military hospital/dormitory that looked like a wing to the warehouse in Area 51 from Raiders).

And it goes on from there. A lot of scenes throughout the movie looks like they’ve taken a page right out of Skycaptain And The World Of Tomorrow - fake. Anybody else get this feeling?

In terms of plot, it seemed to focus too much on the personal drama rather than the whodunnit. Not really what I’m looking for in a Agatha Christie-movie.

The first movie was good, though. Maybe I had too high hopes for this one.

5 hours ago, rough cut said:

The first movie was good, though. Maybe I had too high hopes for this one.

The discouraging thing is, I haven't yet seen the second film, but all these "I liked the first but I hated the second because…" posts go on to list all the things that bothered me in the first one.

Black Crab (2022)

XSnQxDw.jpeg

Great setting, poor story, poor lines. But just because of the setting (frozen sea?), it needs an American remake, and this time done right!

Apparently I saw a different movie version of the Batman. Long, dark, and tedious. The score is as wonderful or bad as Dune. Its  a wonder this guy gets hired. The acting is all over the place. Pattinson is a terrible Batman. Did I mention it was dark. Not the story, the cinematography. The story is a mess. The Riddler is not even laughably bad. He is just bad. Thank goodness I refused to see this at the picture show.

The Batman (2022)

share.jpg

The Batman starts okay but somehow becomes bad the moment Cat Woman enters the story. Everything feels like a long episode from a bad TV show. I bailed around the 90 minute mark. I've heard that it even gets worse after this. Bring back Snyder!

Operation Mincemeat - solid telling of the audacious WW2 plot (previously filmed as The Man Who Never Was) to fool the Germans into believing that the Allied invasion to liberate Europe was to take place in Greece, not Sicily.

Interestingly Ian Fleming played a part in the plot, and is played by Johnny Flynn in this. Also appearing are Colin Firth, Matthew Macfadyen, Jason Isaacs, Mark Gatiss and Simon Russell Beale. 

19 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

I saw the Northman. It's good and worth watching.

For me the best quality of The VVitch (sorry, Koray) is not the acting, not the story, not the film directing, but how utterly real the settings felt. And this was before I knew historic accuracy is important to Eggers. I did not experience the same with The Lighthouse (it's just a rock with a lighthouse on it) but, who knows, maybe Eggers' Vikings might strike me as so believable they drag me into their world.  

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

For me the best quality of The VVitch (sorry, Koray) is not the acting, not the story, not the film directing, but how utterly real the settings felt. And this was before I knew historic accuracy is important to Eggers. I did not experience the same with The Lighthouse (it's just a rock with a lighthouse on it) but, who knows, maybe Eggers' Vikings might strike me as so believable they drag me into their world.  

It is certainly a believable recreation of the Viking era. But as I say in my review, it perhaps comes at the expense of dramatic potency. Okay, I appreciate seeing these recreations of historical ceremonies. But are you also moving the story forward? - would be my concern. I feel Eggers slightly overegged this pudding with research. I still recommend seeing it on the big screen though. 

The Northman was good, but otherwise standard Viking fare. Norse mythology has been all the rage over the past several years and it’s becoming repetitive. 

Cinematography felt a little muddled to me, and the story was as predictable as they come, but the camerawork is excellent and I loved how visceral it was. 

The 355. Watched it on Peacock. A run-of-the-mill action thriller and not very good. Appropriately enough, Tom Holkenborg’s “score” was a steaming pile of boring, brain-dead, melody-bereft crap with a shitty drum loop that got used ad infinitum. I can see why Universal chose to dump this film in theaters during the desolate wastes of January.

The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent - action-comedy in which Nic Cage plays himself. Career and personal troubles lead him to accept a million-dollar offer to appear at a Spanish superfan's birthday party, which leads to him being recruited by the CIA to investigate said fan who they claim is an arms dealer and kidnapper.

Quite chucklesome, with Cage gamely sending himself up. Also starring Pedro Pascal, Sharon Horgan and Neil Patrick Harris.

Master (2022)

MV5BOGFiYjBiNjgtNDkyOS00MTZmLTk3ZmQtNTc5

This movie wants to be drama about racism and at the same time it wants to be a horror movie. It ends up being neither. 3/10

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Damn this was good to see Raimi back behind the camera of a super-production. So much great visuals. Visual effects are again top notch. The cast is great.

Really like Elfman's score who perfectly depict the madness of the multiverse (even though I think it's better while watching the movie)

I might be tempt to watch it in IMAX

Everything Everywhere All at Once

As the title suggests, it is as consumable as if you would mix every food you know together in one big pot - in the end, it was Nothing at All. The most insufferable cinema experience I've had in a long time. Even worse than the movie itself are those countless enthusiastic reviews. For the sake of your mental health, don't watch it!

Doctor Strange In The Multiverse Of Madness - fairly entertaining Marvel fare, with Sam Raimi's presence in the director's chair bringing a touch more surrealism and horror than usual (plus a pleasing cameo for his old mate Bruce Campbell). 

The Eyes of Tammy Faye. 

Well acted, Didn't realize Tammy Faye was so kind.

On 06/05/2022 at 1:49 AM, May the Force be with You said:

The cast is great

They really are, aren't they? McAdams in particular is better in this than the last one, probably at least because she has something to do. 

Windfall (2022)

1145117.jpg

Feels a bit like a stage play. It's somewhat boring during the first half (Is it a comedy? Is it a thriller? It seems to be not much of either) but it gradually gets better after that. 

AAAAQVz5zlRz4wP5qqspU-liynAE50b5hTXrhKe3XwgU6gdkKeL4yzBY7OJrspFI8v6cay0p8PIitNPr4xFvkDMEN4mUG_ybda4yD3rZzOvYn1BzqqPbgJwpRxRYeBcmnnJ5mxEdQ5swNzIxRRjwmAYGdDV5.jpg

Lilly Collins is not bad looking though ...

The Northman (2022)

Recensie-The-Northman-e1651779114717.jpg

The most disappointing Eggers movie to date. It's a Liam Neeson revenge flick set in the Viking era. All the cliches are present as well. 5/10