What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2022 films)

Jay

Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Sam Raimi's directing helps elevating a pretty average script. The movie is fun enough, but it won't be as memorable as his Spiderman trilogy.

7 hours ago, AC1 said:

The Northman (2022)

Recensie-The-Northman-e1651779114717.jpg

The most disappointing Eggers movie to date. It's a Liam Neeson revenge flick set in the Viking era. All the cliches are present as well. 5/10

Definitely didn’t live up to The Lighthouse, but it’s still visually engaging. I also can’t really fault it for being “cliche” since it’s an accurate retelling of the folklore that inspired Hamlet. 

I found it compelling, but wish it was tighter than it was and leaned into the surreality of its mythological material more. It's worth the watch though.

But yes, it is probably the weakest of the three Eggers films. And The Lighthouse remains his strongest work.

The VVitch for me, because I didn't care for the second and 'drunken' part of The Lighthouse.  Also, it reminded me a bit too much of The Servant.

With The Witch I didn't know where it was going while The Northman is more like a wild theme park ride. There's lots of excitement and violence, and the pace is too fast for it to be an atmospheric piece, which some wrongly claim this movie is all about. 

It has all the elements of a theme park ride ... but a theme park ride a la Eggers. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this is the first Eggers movie that short attention spanners are going to like. 

We evidently disagree on what constitutes a theme park ride.

On a different issue, for some reason I find the 2:1 ratio quite boring to look at. It was also not ideal in the cinema, because the thin black bars at the top and bottom were not fully masked the way they would normally be for a 2.35:1 film, which made the projection feel quite sloppy. On top of that, the cinema staff neglected to turn the lights off for at least the first five minutes, which made it difficult to get into the spirit of things the first time I saw it.

19 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It has all the elements of a theme park ride ...

Okay, but it also has a lot of genuine cinematic flesh around that theme park ride skeleton.

1 hour ago, Glóin the Dark said:

We evidently disagree on what constitutes a theme park ride

Okay, okay, let's call it just a "ride" then!

Saw it at home and  I don't remember being troubled by the aspect ratio.

OPERATION MINCEMEAT dir. John Madden

An engaging but admittedly lightweight account of an incredible true story; all is well if not for the soap-opera-esque-not-quite-romantic-subplot. Colin Firth and Matthew MacFadyen are both good but Kelly MacDonald, with her restrained loveliness, is often the scene-stealer.

With Ian Fleming (creator of James Bond) an instrumental character in the story, there are more than a couple rather 'on the nose' references to his then-future masterwork figure. Which is all nice and fun, I guess.

Thomas Newman's score is serviceable. It only comes forward on a couple of occasions; an all too often infuriating Newman trait but, on this occasion at least, it's all that's deserved.

2.5 / 5

On 16/05/2022 at 5:14 PM, AC1 said:

The Northman (2022)

Recensie-The-Northman-e1651779114717.jpg

The most disappointing Eggers movie to date. It's a Liam Neeson revenge flick set in the Viking era. All the cliches are present as well. 5/10

It was disappointingly streamlined. The camera work during the fight scenes is amazing, but that's it. My ranking of the Eggers films would go: The VVitch, The Lighthouse, The Northman.

6 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

The camera work during the fight scenes is amazing, but that's it. 

The violent sport/game scene was really good.

Morbius

I tried, I really did, but this film is ridiculous.

The only positive thing I can say about it is that Matt Smith is good and some of the visuals are cool.

But the story is incredibly predictable and not at all engaging. 

I wasn't very interested in Leto's character. And you know there is a problem if you're main character isn't interesting.

It's all just very generic.

And don't get me started on those end credits scenes. They are just laughably bad. It's almost admirable.

And the score is also dull and a cheap, not well done, rip off of The Dark Knight etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Top Gun : Maverick - there's as much nostalgia, thrilling aerial combat, poignancy, chuckles and Tom Cruise's undeniable old-school movie-star charisma in this as you could want really.

A very satisfying sequel.

Crimes of the Future

It's definitely stomach churning and almost vintage Cronenberg, if you can say that. The story explores themes he probed with Crash, only instead of being sexually aroused by car crashes, surgery is the new sex. Viggo Mortensen and Lea Seydeux are excellent (Viggo's expressions as Seydeux's character operates on him as a public show is especially disturbing), while Kristen Stewart is rather underused. Howard Shore's score is fitting with the tone of the movie, you wouldn't know he scored it -- very abrasive and Neo-noirish electronic.

On 17/05/2022 at 7:05 AM, KK said:

leaned into the surreality of its mythological material more

I'm the opposite: wanted it to be much more matter of fact and less surreal-feeling.

3 hours ago, Glóin the Dark said:

Ordinarily I'd be itching to see a new Cronenberg film but, having heard and read some things about the premise of this one, I'm really not sure if I can bring myself to watch it...

It’s pretty tame if you’re worried about that.

4 hours ago, Chen G. said:

I'm the opposite: wanted it to be much more matter of fact and less surreal-feeling.

Robert Eggers: ‘This is me trying to do Conan the Barbarian by way of Andrei Rublev.’

So this is why the story is so familiar! It's Conan The Barbarian!

I think with The Northman, Eggers wanted to make a genuine blockbuster movie with an Eggers touch (it kinda had to be a blockbuster to recuperate their money) and not bore the general public with a slow dreamy film a la Tarkovsky. Whatever his starting point was, the Conan The Barbarian part got the upper hand. 

2 hours ago, AC1 said:

So this is why the story is so familiar! It's Conan The Barbarian!

It reminded me of Conan, Braveheart and...unsurprisingly...Hamlet.

But this scrim of surrealism and the emphasis on peculiar ceremonies and customs along with very heightened language mostly work towards keeping the audience at an arm's length from a story and a character that's already alienating to some extent.

The best way, I find, to treat ancient history (as opposed to more recent one a-la Apocalypse Now, which does the surrealistic thing exceptionally well) is to bloke-ify it: make it relatable to a 21st century audience rather than highlighting all the ways its removed from our own.

1 hour ago, Chen G. said:

It reminded me of Conan, Braveheart and...unsurprisingly...Hamlet.

Was Braveheart captured as a kid, raised as a slave, then took revenge as an adult on the evil wrongdoers? :o

More confessions by Eggers: 

Slashfilm: A lot of people have been comparing your film to John Milius' "Conan the Barbarian," and I guess they both have a giant killing machine protagonist, are both influenced by Hamlet, and both have a Teutonic flavor to them. Yours is obviously much more rooted in actual history. Was that movie a touchstone for you at all for "The Northman?"

Robert Eggers: Absolutely. I didn't seek to make "Conan," but it was a movie that I watched a ton as a kid. There were a handful of deliberate nods to "Conan," but then sometime during filming I watched "Conan" and realized there were a lot of unintentional nods, too, because I watched it so many times.

Oh, I'm more than willing to believe this has a touch of Conan about it: the whole getting-a-sword-from-a-catacomb is VERY Conan. But Conan doesn't die at the end of the movie, and even Wallace (who does die) doesn't die due to his own poor decision-making: those are elements of Hamlet.

The whole Gertrud-as-spinstress twist is totally new, though. Ophelia surviving isn't as novel: Daisy Ridley's Ophelia already pulled that, and its the sort of thing you see with many female tragic figures in modern stage productions: its rare to see a Tristan where Isolde dies at the end anymore...

10 hours ago, AC1 said:

Was Braveheart captured as a kid, raised as a slave, then took revenge as an adult on the evil wrongdoers? :o

Dunno. Only saw it the once. Couldn't remember a thing about it. Thought it was shit. Never want to see it, again.

I knew where VVitch was going? Nowhere, just dull, not shocking, and the writer who thought he was being clever was anything but. Dull and boring. 

Fantastic Beasts: The Secrets of Dumbledore

Not as awful as Crimes of Grindelwald, but also not as good as the first one. It's a mere passable movie where a lot of stuff happens and you don't really care. At least Law's and Mikkelsen's performances are great and the visual effects are pretty good. JNH's score is, of course, the best part about it.

Anyway, it's a merely passable movie that at the very least concludes the main characters' arcs so we don't have to sit through another two of these movies.

53 minutes ago, Brónach said:

so it's over? great

Maybe maybe not. It doesn't conlude the Dumbledore/Grindlewald battle in which Dumbledore wins the Elder Wand.

• 2 weeks later...

The Black Phone. 

A terrific very contained horror film. Not a lot of jump scares but the dread and impending doom gave this film great atmosphere. 

My sister and I had a great time.

It reminded me of Lambs

Top Gun: Maverick. As someone who had zero interest in watching this (and can barely remember the old one) I have to say the film was rather enjoyable. Bit cheesy and sentimental but in good kind of old fashioned way. Some really exciting action and visuals. Say what you want about Cruise but as a big screen star/producer he almost always delivers high standard of entertainment. And for that he deserves all the box office glory he gets.

Karol - who posted this in a 2022 score thread the other day for some reason. :lol:

Just saw Elvis. It's a very Baz Luhrman film. Very busy. Lot's of short shots. I really thought sometimes it was a bit too much.

But Austin Butler is soo good as Elvis it doesn't really matter. Incredible!

The production & costumes are all amazing as well!

There was a surprising amount of score in the film. There is barely a moment of silence in the film. And some of the score really stood out and was very powerful

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Wow, just... wow. 

This is more than just a movie, folks. It's an experience. A deeply unsettling, heartwarming and utterly fun experience.

Really, I left the movie theater completely disorientated.

It starts as a normal dramatic comedy about a dysfunctional Chinese-Americana immigrant family, but then the plot goes in a descent into madness that goes in so many different directions... While still remaining at its core about a dysfunctional Chinese-American immigrant family.

Recommended for everyone who doesn't think the new Doctor Strange movie didn't go far enough into the "Multiverse of Madness". Actually, everyone should watch this movie ASAP!

8 hours ago, Edmilson said:

It starts as a normal dramatic comedy about a dysfunctional Chinese-Americana immigrant family, but then the plot goes in a descent into madness that goes in so many different directions... 

Sounds like Parasite. Not a fan of movies that unfold into craziness.