What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2022 films)

Jay

22 hours ago, AC1 said:

Sounds like Parasite. Not a fan of movies that unfold into craziness.

Maybe it's to do with being a man of a certain age, but my first thought upon hearing the title was 'That sounds exhausting'.  

Thor: Love and Thunder. Not perfect but definitely a more Taika movie than the previous one. Which was actually a good thing. I thought it was rather charming and, truth be told, I liked it more than the previous one. Definitely more heartfelt.

Karol

THE BATMAN

BIG disappointment.

Started off strong- I was glad it seemed to take its cue from GOTHAM ( and, JOKER)- but the convoluted plot felt like a retread.

The GOTHAM storyline dealing with the rise of Penguin to crime boss was so much better done- and better cast.

The film was so reminiscent of SEVEN, I kept expecting Kevin Spacey to turn up at the end as the villain. 😅

I do think the score was excellent. If I liked the film I would have bought the ost

Joe's review that it's basically 3 hours of gloom confirmed the impression of it I'd got from the trailer. 

I don't expect the camp daftness of the 60s TV show or the Clooney flick ... in fact, given the character's origins I think some 'darkness' works with Batman. But the Keaton, Kilmer and Bale movies knew that to 'let some light in' via humour was a good idea.  

For as good as The Batman looked and how well Pattinson embodied the character physically, I felt the movie had absolutely nothing going for it besides those qualities. I was very disappointed by it

3 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Joe's review that it's basically 3 hours of gloom confirmed the impression of it I'd got from the trailer. 

I don't expect the camp daftness of the 60s TV show or the Clooney flick ... in fact, given the character's origins I think some 'darkness' works with Batman. But the Keaton, Kilmer and Bale movies knew that to 'let some light in' via humour was a good idea.  

I don't mind a bit of doom and gloom (I thought the best thing about The Snyder Cut was the hellish and doomish ending with the Joker) but with The Batman it really felt like I was watching a movie full of bad cliches. Example: Bats is chasing a villain with his batmobile. Then there is this huge explosion. The villain laughs because there is no way anyone or anything can survive this. Then ... wait for it ... wait for it ... WAIT FOR IT .... the batsmobile triumphally jumps out the sea of flames!!! The villain is surprised and I pressed the stop button. 

I really liked The Batman. It is my favorite Batman live action movie since TDK... which unfortunate says more about the poor quality of the Bat-movies between 2008 and this year.

6 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

The GOTHAM City of GOTHAM was just as dystopian but counterbalanced by its colorful, FUNNY and just as ruthless villains such as Penguin and Riddler.

And, wasn't Riddler pretty much doing EXACTLY what ARROW ( a blatant BATMAN rip-off) was doing in season one?

• 2 weeks later...

Thor: Love & Thunder

A lot of the humor doesn't land... like the first 20 minutes are shockingly unfunny. Taika Waititi just doubles down on the worst aspects of Ragnarok (like regurgitating a tired stage re-enactment joke), tired 1980s rock needle drops and it's tonally off-balance. Christian Bale is genuinely menacing as Gorr but felt like he belonged in a different movie. And while it was nice seeing Natalie Portman back, the tonal shifts keep the movie from gaining an emotional catharsis.

Keep Taika away from any more MCU projects.

X

Horror film which is part- homage to Eighties slasher flicks with a subtext relating to the current political/religious climate ( which I obviously can't discuss in detail).

Not bad.

Better than average for this type of film

The Gray Man

New film from the Russo brothers for Netflix.

Is it just me or did the Bourne franchise sucked all the fan we could have from spy/action movies? This one is a mix between Bourne, Fast & Furious and John Wick, with the same quick cuts, brutal hand-to-hand fights, generic RCP crap for the score...

At least it has some cool visuals. And Ryan Gosling was very manly. Also, one of my country's best performers, Wagner Moura (who you may know from Narcos, where he played Pablo Escobar) makes an interesting cameo.

The Black Phone

Wow, I thought this movie was great.

It's a masterclass in suspense. It's very scary but not because of a lot of jump scares. Which I liked because I'm not a uge fan of those. Some parts of the film really made me think of Silence Of The Lambs. That kind of suspense.

The script is written really well and Derickson's direction is also very strong. The thing he does with shadows and cameramovements in great.

The performances are all terrific.

Ethan Hawke is scary as fuck. But not in the way I thought he would be scary. The scariest thing is that you don't see his face and the range he has with his voice is very creepy.

Mason Thames very strong. In a role where he is mostly on his own he really makes a big impression.

Madeleine McGraw plays his sister and she has a very interesting storyline. A moment early on in the film, had some of the best acting from a child I've seen in quite some time.

I saw the film last night and it has really stuck with me. Two moments especially.

One was a jump scare that was so well placed everyone in my theatre made a noise or really jumped out of their seat.

The second was a moment where a certain character is sort dragged away, but it's so sudden and done in a way that I thought was just absolutely terrifying. My whole body shivered.

It's this kind of thrillers/horrors that I really like. Not just jump scares all around, gross stuff etc., but the suspense and great performances were for me what really made this film so great.

7 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

The Black Phone

Wow, I thought this movie was great.

It's a masterclass in suspense. It's very scary but not because of a lot of jump scares. Which I liked because I'm not a uge fan of those. Some parts of the film really made me think of Silence Of The Lambs. That kind of suspense.

The script is written really well and Derickson's direction is also very strong. The thing he does with shadows and cameramovements in great.

The performances are all terrific.

Ethan Hawke is scary as fuck. But not in the way I thought he would be scary. The scariest thing is that you don't see his face and the range he has with his voice is very creepy.

Mason Thames very strong. In a role where he is mostly on his own he really makes a big impression.

Madeleine McGraw plays his sister and she has a very interesting storyline. A moment early on in the film, had some of the best acting from a child I've seen in quite some time.

I saw the film last night and it has really stuck with me. Two moments especially.

One was a jump scare that was so well placed everyone in my theatre made a noise or really jumped out of their seat.

The second was a moment where a certain character is sort dragged away, but it's so sudden and done in a way that I thought was just absolutely terrifying. My whole body shivered.

It's this kind of thrillers/horrors that I really like. Not just jump scares all around, gross stuff etc., but the suspense and great performances were for me what really made this film so great.

I agree wholeheartedly. The film had a sense of dread that hungover entire length of the film. It reminded me of the dread I felt in silence of the Lambs.

We saw NOPE this weekend. I was surprised David actually liked it. Our friend Robert was eh. Both David and I literally explained things to him, he's not a horror fan. It Wasn't a complex film but it did have a nice twist on the genre with a very old school reference.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

We saw NOPE this weekend. I was surprised David actually liked it. Our friend Robert was eh. Both David and I literally explained things to him, he's not a horror fan. It Wasn't a complex film but it did have a nice twist on the genre with a very old school reference.

Not able to see that until August 17th in my country. But I'm very excited. I loved both Get Out & Us

I am not sure how one responds to Ryan Gosling was very manly.....

He lacks any appeal. 

On 26/07/2022 at 6:14 PM, JoeinAR said:

I am not sure how one responds to Ryan Gosling was very manly.....

He lacks any appeal. 

I just watched The Gray Man. He's simply not a good actor. And he doesn't have a good voice either. 

I can't take Gosling seriously in drama mode. I think he's just about passable in lighter, comedic roles; I think he peaked in The Nice Guys but then I'm also an enormous Shane Black apologist.

Gosling works if he has to play the silent type, standing against the wall, or sitting in a car, saying nothing, just staring, like in Refn's movies.

drive.jpg

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

I saw The Batman today.

This movie has been made by a mentally ill person.

Probably :lol: 

If you're right, Bes, then a lot of people have seen a film made by a mentally ill person, and this same mentally ill person has earned a lot of money. What does that say about Hollywood?

I've not seen THE BATMAN. How does it compare to JOKER (which I have seen)?

Joker is a weird movie too, even weirder.

But yes, they are in the same vein.

In The Batman, Bruce Wayne appears like a total lethargic and depressive guy who's taking heavy medication.

OK, we understood the concept that Batman is even weirder than the villains he fights. Now, can we pass to something with a little more humour?

I can't imagine a darker Batman than this one.

For me, it's like the "franchise" has hit the bottom of the barrel.  Well, It was perhaps the price to pay for having two Batman made by Joel Schumacher...

Now, I think we are "even"!

On 23/07/2022 at 8:31 AM, Edmilson said:

The Gray Man

New film from the Russo brothers for Netflix.

Is it just me or did the Bourne franchise sucked all the fan we could have from spy/action movies? This one is a mix between Bourne, Fast & Furious and John Wick, with the same quick cuts, brutal hand-to-hand fights, generic RCP crap for the score...

At least it has some cool visuals. And Ryan Gosling was very manly. Also, one of my country's best performers, Wagner Moura (who you may know from Narcos, where he played Pablo Escobar) makes an interesting cameo.

We watched this last night. Since I really only know Gosling from Blade Runner and Drive it was off hearing him talk this much.

On the one hand it was a nice chance for the Russo's to leverage their Captain America action movie muscles. But there came a point about half way through when I thought "Nobody has this much leverage over anybody. Chris Evans should be getting killed by his own side at this point."

I liked the performances and the action was top notch. Jackman did a pretty good score as well.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

I prefer my mentally ill Batman in tights, a blue satin cape, and trying to get rid of a bomb.

.Adam West Reaction GIF

To each generation its Batman I guess!!!

1 hour ago, Tallguy said:

We watched this last night. Since I really only know Gosling from Blade Runner and Drive it was off hearing him talk this much.

On the one hand it was a nice chance for the Russo's to leverage their Captain America action movie muscles. But there came a point about half way through when I thought "Nobody has this much leverage over anybody. Chris Evans should be getting killed by his own side at this point."

I liked the performances and the action was top notch. Jackman did a pretty good score as well.

Interesting. I had a different reaction,  as I heard him talk, I was wondering why did Villeneuve ever think Gosling was the right choice for Blade Runner?!

Other than that, the script was so bad, I once again have to side with the critics.

Bullet Train

I saw this last night. I thought it was a lot of fun. I hasn't gotten great reviews, but I don't care, I thought it was great.

It's chaotic as f**k, but that's kind of the point.

The whole cast is outstanding. With Pitt, Henry & Taylor-Johnson being the standouts. The latter 2 were especially good.

Hiroyuki Sanada is always good!

The action is less prominent in the first act, but that changes a lot in the 2nd & 3rd act.

The score isn't very prominent, mostly because all the songs take the forefront. There were some moments where I noticed the score, but I know Lewis can do a lot better, so I think this is Leitch's fault that the score didn't have enough to do.

For me, it's a fun summer action romp, just like The Gray Man. Just don't go in thinking you're gonna see the best action film ever.

Prey

I watched it this morning. Big fan of the original Predator.

This is 100% the best film in the franchise since the first one.

The setting in the 18th century and focusing on a comance tribe is very cool.

And the way they show how the characters learn different ways of fighting the predator was very well done. I believe that almost all of the time the predator is real (like someone in full make-up) and that makes it seem very reel.

The action was very strong and there is a long take in the 3rd act that's very cool.

Amber Midthunder & Dakota Beavers were both very very good.

The music in the film is used well and there are some nods to Silvestri's predator theme. But unlike that score, it's not fully orchestral, so don't expect any big thematic statements during the fight scenes

4 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I believe that almost all of the time the predator is real (like someone in full make-up) and that makes it seem very reel.

I see what you did there

Prey

I really dig it, it's no fun like all the previous movies but I think it works better this way (in this case). It's well directed, the cast is really good and productions are top notch.

The music is a bit of a letdown though, it works well in the movie but won't probably stand on it's own

Prey 

Good, I guess, but nothing special. But sure, a fun entry to the franchise - certainly better than others. The setting is good and so are the action scenes.

There’s a scene around 1hr 10 min where the Predator doesn’t seem to bleed the classic green but a blue/grayish kind of color?

Spoiler

He does bleed the correct color later though.

The ending though… Was it a little bit arbitrary?

Spoiler

That the mask with the aiming device (isn’t it normally on the shoulder?) was pointing to the Predator, who was stuck in the swamp, and that his shot did a boomerang swing back to his own head? Was it by chance or by design?

I didn’t see me main character set it up - it felt more luck than anything else, which Is a bit of an anticlimax - but maybe I missed it?

Overall, an entertaining movie, worthwhile a watch.

Say the magic-less LightYear. 

Perfectly fine and ordinary. 

It might have been better if the composer were better.

• 2 weeks later...

The Northman. As a cinematic spectacle, it is great. As a story, not quite as gripping. That was to be expected though. But I do appreciate all the work that went into it, especially the folklore and, once again, beautiful use of language. 

Karol

Nope - Jordan Peele's latest is a sci-fi horror with underlying themes of spectacle and exploitation which nicely balances intensely creepy moments with more humourous ones. With Daniel Kaluuya, Keke Palmer, Steven Yuen and a cherishable turn from Michael Wincott as a grizzled, cynical cinematographer.

Steven Soderbergh's “Kimi” Is a Tech Thriller That Packs a Potent Outrage |  The New Yorker

Kimi

We watched the film the day after we went out and saw The Batman in the theater, not even purposely watching two Zoë Kravitz films in a row, just the way it worked out.

I thought Zoë Kravitz was pretty great in The Batman, so was kind of surprised by her performance in this one, which was kind of stilted and awkward, in stark contrast to how smooth she was in The Batman.  Maybe Soderbergh wanted it this way?

Kravitz plays someone with anxiety and agoraphobia after being assaulted, and the pandemic has only exacerbated her conditions.  She works for a company that is about to launch a new smart-speaker that controversially has real humans listen to command attempts that didn't go as planned, in order to make the software work better; She's one of the people who listens to the calls, working remotely from her apartment in Seattle, which she rarely leaves.  One day she hears what sounds like an assault on a call, and finds what sounds like a murder in other recording from the same device....... and the plot begins.

Overall it was decent, not great.  It could have been saved by a stellar ending, but the final showdown is pretty undercooked and a bit silly.  Still, not terrible by any means.  I always find a lot of enjoy in every Soderbergh movie, even if the film as a whole doesn't all gel together to be a new winner.

It's exclusive to HBO Max, or it was at the time at least

Turning Red': Pixar's taboo-busting period film leaves some men complaining  about representation | Culture | EL PAÍS English Edition

Turning Red

I liked this Pixar flick about a middle-schooler in the early 2000s who turns into a red panda based on her emotions.  It was fun!

It's on Disney+

Judd Apatow's “The Bubble,” Reviewed: A Shapeless Comedy with a Molten  Emotional Core | The New Yorker

The Bubble

Woof, the latest Judd Apatow movie seemed like it would be a fun farce, but it was pretty disposable and completely forgettable.  It is a movie about people making a movie, Cliff Beasts 6, in the middle of the pandemic; Karen Gillan, David Duchovny, Pedrol Pascal, Leslie Mann, Keegan-Michael Key are some of the actors, Fred Armisen is the director, Kate McKinnon is the studio exec, etc.  A big ensembled cast full of funny people who are given largely unfunny things to do for OVER 2 hours.  Judd Apatow should stick to producing for other directors at this point because the films he directs are all overlong, over-indulgent (his wife and kids are once again cast in big roles) affairs that leave no impact.  I've already forgotten everything about this movie except that it wasn't very good.

It's on Netfilx.

The Adam Project' Ending Explained: Director Shawn Levy on That Tearjerker  Scene

The Adam Project

I kind of had somewhat high hopes for this movie, since Free Guy was fun and the concept looked interesting enough.  But it ended up being fairly boring, and really offers nothing new to the world of action/adventure movies or time travel stories.  At least it wasn't very long

It's on Netflix

Senior Year

Another dumb Netflix movie; I just can't get into anything Rebel Wilson does and this is no exception I guess.  Was nice to see Angourie Rice (from the MCU Spider-man movies and Mare of Easttown) briefly though

Uncharted

This was... not as bad as I thought it would be. Actually, it was surprisingly decent and entertaining.

Like many people, I rolled my eyes when Tom Holland was cast as Nathan Drake, but now that I've seen the movie, I can understand why he was chosen. Holland has a lot of acrobatic skills and brings a lot of physicality to the role. After years of blockbusters where people shoot lasers with their hands and use CGI to achieve super-human feats, it felt nice to watch a movie with Jackie Chan-style acrobatics and stunts.

Also, his dynamic with Mark Wahlberg's Sully was pretty fun.

The score was the weakest part, though, very generic and forgettable. As uninspired as Henry Jackman's music for the fourth game. And the classic theme from the games only appears twice, I think.