What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2022 films)

Jay

Windfall' Netflix Movie Review - A Thriller That Will Remind of Old Days |  Midgard Times

Windfall

Wow!  This is a pretty good Hitchcockian-style thriller movie.  It's extremely economical in its storytelling: All in one location, only 4 characters (and a fifth voice role), and all wrapped up in less than 90 minutes!

Jason Segel breaks into the fancy Southern California vacation home of tech billionaire Jesse Plemons and his wife Lily Collins, to rob what he can and get out of there.  As he's leaving, they show up unexpectedly, and a robbery turns into a kidnapping and ransom demand... and various truths each character holds are revealed.

I really liked this, quite a bit!  It's paced perfectly, there is never a dull moment at all, everything keeps pushing forward.  It does not outstay its welcome and try to bite off more than it can chew: It stays focused on its story, tells it, and wraps up swiftly.  The Hitchcock influence is worn on its sleeve, and that was perfectly fine in my book!  Also the music score was really interesting: There's no synth droning here, it's a small ensemble chamber score that really drives the movie along.  I want to listen to it on album now!

It's on Netflix - check it out!

6 hours ago, Jay said:

Review: The Biggest Drawback of 'Thor: Love and Thunder'? It's Just for  Fans | WIRED

Thor: Love And Thunder

This is a fun romp, there's really not much else to say about it.  Somehow the plot is simultaneously big and important and game-changing, and also barely relevant whatsoever.

The best part was Russel Crowe as Zeus, he was really (surprisingly!) funny, and his Greek accent was great.  Christian Bale was also a really good bad guy, I liked that he was completely serious the entire time in an overall fairly light movie.

It was great seeing Kat Dennings and Natalie Portman again, but such a bummer that Dennings is in the movie for like a minute.  Portman was pretty damn awesome as a superhero, I'm not sure why the killed her off?  The whole cancer angle seemed like a pointless part of the storyline here.

I also felt like Tessa Thompson was a bit wasted, it seems like they haven't really figured out what to do with her character since introducing her, for some strange reason.  I guess this movie was a bit overstuff;  It felt like this actually could have sustained a longer running time, and there's all this info out about deleted characters and storylines, so I wonder why they cut it down to 2 hours?

Are they going to make a Hercules movie with Roy fookin Kent now?

It's on Disney+

I didn't find the movie that funny when I watched it at the cinema but it had some laughs for sure and Zeus was awesome! I also kind of liked the goats lol. A lot of the humor felt forced though like those eat my hammer lines. The real issue for me was making Thor such a joke, and while some of it felt funny it was just over the top. The humor and seriousness in Ragnarok was very well balanced but here it veered into caricature, especially here death scenes etc were interrupted with jokes. Still the movie was an enjoyable time at the movies but I doubt that I'd watch it again.

It's a real shame that Valkyrie still hasn't really done that much since being introduced a couple of movies ago. As a big fan of Tessa Thompson's work on Westworld I was excited when she was cast in Ragnarok and while she's cool, I expected her to do more. With everyone and their neighbor getting a Disney+ show maybe she could get one too?

Yea the screaming goats didn't get old for me either, surprisingly

I thought the runner with Portman trying to come up with a catch phrase and ultimately yelling Eat My Hammer was pretty funny!

And yea, about Valkyrie: Right!?  Why have they done Tessa Thompson so wrong?

17 hours ago, Jay said:

It was great seeing Kat Dennings and Natalie Portman again, but such a bummer that Dennings is in the movie for like a minute.  Portman was pretty damn awesome as a superhero, I'm not sure why the killed her off?  The whole cancer angle seemed like a pointless part of the storyline here.

It's basically the main thing about her character in the comics so they couldn't really avoid this...

17 hours ago, Jay said:

I really hope so because he's such a fun character in the comics and they succeed to find an actor who looks exactly like him

1 hour ago, May the Force be with You said:

It's basically the main thing about her character in the comics so they couldn't really avoid this...

I really hope so because he's such a fun character in the comics and they succeed to find an actor who looks exactly like him

The actor is brilliant so I think it will be fun to see him in the MCU!

d9d72c1c84937d7278112bb72b99ab51a8f5c117

On 30/09/2022 at 4:34 PM, Jay said:

Review: The Biggest Drawback of 'Thor: Love and Thunder'? It's Just for  Fans | WIRED

Thor: Love And Thunder

This is a fun romp, there's really not much else to say about it.  Somehow the plot is simultaneously big and important and game-changing, and also barely relevant whatsoever.

The best part was Russel Crowe as Zeus, he was really (surprisingly!) funny, and his Greek accent was great.  Christian Bale was also a really good bad guy, I liked that he was completely serious the entire time in an overall fairly light movie.

I also felt like Tessa Thompson was a bit wasted, it seems like they haven't really figured out what to do with her character since introducing her, for some strange reason.  I guess this movie was a bit overstuff;  It felt like this actually could have sustained a longer running time, and there's all this info out about deleted characters and storylines, so I wonder why they cut it down to 2 hours?

It's on Disney+

What about Giacchino/Melumad score in context? I actually think it is bit underappreciated.

Karol

To be frank I only noticed the score a couple times while watching the film. 

All the big moments were scored by GNR songs

Bros

It's not hard to see why this didn't click with audiences: Billy Eichner. Not only is he miscast in a film he co-wrote with director Nicholas Stoller, it's so easy to see why his self-absorbed bitchy character can't loosen up, let alone get laid more often. Luke McFarlane is a thankless gay extension of those leading men he plays in Hallmark movies. The typical Apatow cameos (like Bowen Yang and Amy Schumer) fall flat, but there are a few well-placed zingers here and there. 

Hocus Pocus 2

For all the fan demand for a sequel to a cult Halloween film, this is the best they could come up with? Anne Fletcher's direction is subpar at best, while Elliot Davis' camerawork is flat and REALLY cheap-looking. Clearly most of the budget went into bringing back Midler, Najimy and Parker -- because the movie is a Disney Channel cheapie with a slightly bigger budget. Debney's score welcomely revisits his original 1993 themes and gives the movie more life than it deserves otherwise.

Any serious Hocus Pocus fan should stay FAR away from this. The three new teenage girls just weren't compelling and thinly written, while Sam Richardson is more annoying than funny.

On 01/10/2022 at 12:06 AM, Mr. Who said:

The humor and seriousness in Ragnarok was very well balanced but here it veered into caricature, especially here death scenes etc were interrupted with jokes.

Ragnarok had Loki and Hulk. This one didn't. That is probably why this movie could just get a third as funny as the other one.

40 minutes ago, AC1 said:

I watched the first 15 minutes of Blonde and it was really bad. Not sure if I want to watch the whole thing. :mellow:

I haven't been able to watch past that point. I thought it was awful, weird.

And I do feel for De Armas. She's a great actress but I feel this film will kind of destroy her

Mr. Harrigan's Phone (2022)

6a362920-dc78-4d27-af1d-5694c56095b4-Mr.

Based on a short story by Stephen King. Starts off decent but the film dies the moment ...

Spoiler

... the character of Donald Sutherland dies. 

40% on Rotten Tomatoes (critics) might even be too much.

I read the novella when it came out about two years ago, as part of If It Bleeds.

For those of you who don’t know, every couple of years Stephen King will publish a collection of short stories. Each story is often built on a simple idea that isn’t quite big enough to get the “full book treatment”, but instead are perfectly suited to the novella format.

Some examples of novellas that has been published and turned into films are

The Langoliers

Secret Window

Hearts In Atlantis

The Mist

Mr. Harrigan's Phone is now part of the above list.

In the book it’s a story built upon a ludicrous idea with a modern twist on the vengeful ghost, but as always in King’s stories, told with interesting character portraits and gruesome details.

But, boy, it didn’t translate well into film.

7 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Isn’t Shawshank Redemption a novella as well?

Seems like those create the best film adaptations too. 

Yes, Shawshank, Stand By Me and Apt Pupil were all adapted from stories in the same anthology, Different Seasons (1982)

31 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It's really a movie about what an armageddon does to people.

Or at least what you'd imagine it would do.... unless..... are you from the future?!

I'd love to see an optimistic take on how people would handle post-armageddon, just for variety.

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

Never watch it in B&W but I do like it in color.

4 hours ago, Jay said:

Yea when I watch it again someday I'll stick to the normal version

The black and white also greatly covers up the poor CGI. 

Yeah that is true actually. Some of the less perfect VFX material looks much better. I enjoy the movie even if the whole commentary/satire is a bit on the heavy-handed side.

Karol

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

I enjoy the movie even if the whole commentary/satire is a bit on the heavy-handed side.

It's not cinéma vérité. Everything is magnified, just like in Starship Troopers, and that's why I find it very entertaining. It's almost satirical.

Hellraiser (2022)

It's a pretty solid franchise entry, with enough gore and creative Cenobite designs to satisfy fans. Jamie Clayton is pretty good as Pinhead, giving the character a more sensual edge than Doug Bradley but more androgynous. It's slick and clearly Hulu and Spyglass invested more money and effort than the Weinsteins did with their DTV cheapies.

Director David Bruckner and his Night House writers do pretty well here, honoring what came before and putting their own spin to Clive Barker's novella. Composer Ben Lovett also respects what came before, staying in the sonic realm Young did -- weaving in the opening bars and saving wholesale quotations of "Resurrection" and "Hellbound" for maximum effect.

Mr. Harrigan's Phone. 

Quite nice.

Btw.

Black and White are colors too

The Outfit movie review & film summary (2022) | Roger Ebert

The Outfit

Wow!  I had only heard of the film because I took a chance on the Desplat score and ended up really liking the album; The other week we saw that the film showed up on Amazon Prime so we gave it a chance and it turns out: This is a damn good film!

What's funny is we watched it the day after we watched Windfall (see above), and both films are set entirely in a single location, with a limited cast.  It turns out they both debuted on the SAME DAY in the US - what are the odds?

Set in 1950s Chicago, the terrific Mark Rylance plays a tailor cutter who runs his own shop in a neighborhood run by Irish gangsters.  He lets them use his shop for money drops and the plot kicks into gear when one of them shows up needing to be stitched up after being shot by a rival game.  From here until the end, there is plot twist after plot twist, and you never know exactly how much Rylance knows and is behind some of what's going on or not until everything is revealed.  Through all this different characters come and go, all in the shop, and it was consistently interesting and engaging the entire time!

This is a real hidden gem that flew under the radar, potentially due to its weird March release date.  It might have gotten some Oscar buzz if it was held back for a December release.  Check it out!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

The Outfit

Wow!  I had only heard of the film because I took a chance on the Desplat score and ended up loving it;  The other week we saw this showed up on Amazon Prime so we gave that a chance and it turns out: This is a damn good film!

What's funny is we watched it the day after we watched Windfall (see above), and both films are set entirely in a single location, with a limited cast.  It turns out they both debuted on the SAME DAY in the US - what are the odds?

Set in 1950s Chicago, the terrific Mark Rylance plays a tailor cutter who runs his own shop in a neighborhood run by Irish gangsters.  He lets them use his shop for money drops and the plot kicks into gear when one of them shows up needing to be stitched up after being shot by a rival game.  From here until the end, there is plot twist after plot twist, and you never know exactly how much Rylance knows and is behind some of what's going on or not until everything is revealed.  Through all this different characters come and go, all in the shop, and it was consistently interesting and engaging the entire time!

This is a real hidden gem that flew under the radar, potentially due to its weird March release date.  It might have gotten some Oscar buzz if it was held back for a December release.  Check it out!

Ooooh. I only heard Desplat's score once and forgot about the fiom after that.

Thanks for the reminder, will check this out tomorrow or next week.

It's really good!  I wouldn't think a dialogue-driven movie set in one location could be so entertaining, but it all comes together really well.

Oh and I forgot to mention that the score fits the film really well, and made it even more enjoyable to watch.  

I'm glad it showed up on Prime!

I finally watched Halloween Ends, I had no choice!

I loved it.

It's a perfect conclusion for this trilogy. People who didn’t like it probably never liked a Halloween movie... I’m a complete fan, I’m 48 years old, these films are in my DNA.

NOW IT IS OVER!!!

:unsure:

PS: As a reminder, this trilogy (Halloween 2018, Halloween Kills 2021, Halloween Ends 2022) is a direct sequel to the first Halloween movie made in 1978. So you have to watch it before to watch this new trilogy. And if you don't like it, stop right there! hehe

The Woman King. I actually enjoyed that. The film opts to turn it into more of a crowd-pleaser and I was expecting something more hard-edged. Bit it was pretty solid by any standards really. Really strong cast (especially Davis and Lynch), pretty cinematography, interesting fight choreography. And while the story was predictable to a fault, it was still something bit different than what you normally get at a multiplex. Overall, a win.

9eb87f63f5a34f32f9519754730530da.jpg

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

The Woman King. I actually enjoyed that. The film opts to turn it into more of a crowd-pleaser and I was expecting something more hard-edged. Bit it was pretty solid by any standards really. Really strong cast (especially Davis and Lynch), pretty cinematography, interesting fight choreography. And while the story was predictable to a fault, it was still something bit different than what you normally get at a multiplex. Overall, a win.

How was Terrence Blanchard's score?

15 hours ago, Bespin said:

I loved it.

It's a perfect conclusion for this trilogy. People who didn’t like it probably never liked a Halloween movie... I’m a complete fan, I’m 48 years old, these films are in my DNA.

NOW IT IS OVER!!!

:unsure:

PS: As a reminder, this trilogy (Halloween 2018, Halloween Kills 2021, Halloween Ends 2022) is a direct sequel to the first Halloween movie made in 1978. So you have to watch it before to watch this new trilogy. And if you don't like it, stop right there! hehe

I often find myself disagreeing with “the crowd”, but I just watched it and the internet is right.  I sorta get what they were going for, but I don’t think slashers need to have a “message”, at least not at the expense of the fun. This wasn’t scary or fun, or even unintentionally funny. I’d have been happy with any of the above.  They should’ve stopped with Michael at II and continued with new stories ala III from then on.  Think of instead having 10 or so cool John Carpenter style Halloween stories not about Michael Myers made over the past 40 years. 

10 hours ago, Edmilson said:

How was Terrence Blanchard's score?

It had some really nice choral moments. Some of it felt sparse but there were quite a lot of traditional orchestral colours, felt like something more from 1990s.bquite sentimental.

Karol

11 hours ago, Andy said:

I often find myself disagreeing with “the crowd”, but I just watched it and the internet is right.  I sorta get what they were going for, but I don’t think slashers need to have a “message”, at least not at the expense of the fun. This wasn’t scary or fun, or even unintentionally funny. I’d have been happy with any of the above.  They should’ve stopped with Michael at II and continued with new stories ala III from then on.  Think of instead having 10 or so cool John Carpenter style Halloween stories not about Michael Myers made over the past 40 years. 

The new trilogy is for the "fans". So that's correct to pass some messages about good, evil, self justice, popular tribunals, inner demons, addiction, etc. 

What can be added to such a franchise? You can't always redo the same movie, again and again!

If you just want classic slashers, there are 8 Halloween films that have been made between 1978 and 2002 (I exclude Zombie's two horrors)! hehe.

Jamie Lee Curtis says Halloween Ends might make audiences "angry" | Radio  Times

On 16/10/2022 at 1:33 PM, Bespin said:

I loved it.

I haven't watched it or indeed any Halloween movie since part IV, but i want to go on record saying 'I love Jamie Lee Curtis'. Unconditionally. So it can't be all bad.

8 minutes ago, publicist said:

I haven't watched it or indeed any Halloween movie since part IV, but i want to go on record saying 'I love Jamie Lee Curtis'. Unconditionally. So it can't be all bad.

Well, the fact is that this reboot is not only featuring Jamie Lee Curtis, that we love above all (OMG! THE TRUE FINAL GIRL! AMEN! THE ONE AND ONLY SCREAMING QUEEN! AMEN!), but she also invested her a lot in this project...

We love Jamie Lee Curtis, we can't help it!!!

jamie-lee (1).jpg

As someone who has seen every Halloween film (except the most recent one yet), if someone who is not looking to become a slasher devotee, just a person into movies generally, asked me for a recommendation, I would without hesitation say "Just watch the original '78 masterpiece and flush every single sequel and reboot down the toilet."

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

"Just watch the original '78 masterpiece and flush every single sequel and reboot down the toilet."

And well, you have to remember that, this "masterpiece" like you say, is an independent movie made with no bucks, where everyone helped on the set by doing everything! The biggest expense was maybe the hiring of Donald Pleasence, who mainly accepted to play in this "little" low budget movie because his daughter had enjoyed Assault on Precinct 13 for Carpenter's direction and score.

3tkbi2wja6j51.webp

That's why I'd say Halloween is revolutionary and essential viewing for any movie fan, regardless of interest in the horror genre.  It shows so clearly that a Great Film can come from anywhere, no matter the budget, no matter the material.

On 15/10/2022 at 7:31 PM, Jay said:

The Outfit

Wow!  I had only heard of the film because I took a chance on the Desplat score and ended up really liking the album; The other week we saw that the film showed up on Amazon Prime so we gave it a chance and it turns out: This is a damn good film!

Just watched it. I really really liked it.

Rylance is terrific. Especially in the final 20 minutes. Lot's of different layers.

I like Zoey Deutch so it was fun to see her. I also enjoyed the look of the LaFontaines. They had a very striking presence even though they weren't in it very long.

Desplat's score indeed works very well in the film.

A hidden gem indeed and it might still get some award nomination should Focus Features push it.

Costumes, Production are easy contenders. Editing was also strong.

This will probably be one of those films that gets a few BAFTA noms and gets completely ignored by the Oscars.

Yea it feels like its going to be completely ignored by the Oscars

I forgot to mention that I was watching the film and was like "that girl looks just like Marty McFly's mom from Back To The Future". Turns out, it's Lea Thompsons's daughter!

Black Adam (2022)

IMDb

Mild spoiler-y review, but not really.

Black Adam is a decent movie. Or at least decent enough. I am glad I saw it in the cinema, since it’s an FX driven movie. Is it good? Well, it depends. Is good = entertaining? Then yes. Is good = good story and plot that makes sense. Then no.

Black Adam is big, dumb and fun. The Rock is always a pleasure to watch, and he carries the film - in spite of a lackluster script. I don’t know how he pulls it off? Maybe he doesn’t and it’s just my man crush talking.

So that’s the good of it. Big and dumb, entertaining and fun, and The Rock. But I came into this with a bias. Of course I understand there’s another side to this movie…

If you go into this movie thinking you’re not going to like it - you’re probably right. There are bad things aplenty.

The plot is wafer thin. The whole thing plays out in like a day, I think. Even taking that into consideration, there’s not a whole lot going on, so, for what it is, they drag it out a lot by talking about things that shouldn’t happen, things that have happened, or just clichés about what it means to be a hero. None of the talking actually matters at all. And for such a “talk-y” movie, it’s a shame that the dialogue is stilted, superficial and unnatural.

There’s a ton of exposition but even so, it still feels like we don’t get enough. It is a bit like Justice League in that way, that it felt as if they skipped a few movies and went straight to the Avengers. But JL did it better. So a criticism is that we don’t get to know the characters enough, they’re just there, and even so they don’t have much of a personality beyond any superficial qualities.

The movie feels as a mash up that’s part Suicide Squad, part Teen Titans. At the same time it’s not ashamed to pull inspiration from the MCU. The setting feels inspired by Wakanda (but without whatever impact made people love Black Panther) with a dash of X-Men in there. Also, it feels as if S.H.I.E.L.D. shows up but I know that didn’t happen (did it?).

[Edit: The world Black Adam is set in is a bit weird. It’s not the ‘real’ world with superheroes thrown into it. There’re hover bikes that fly around without limitations, a jet that seem more like a spaceship than an airplane and a hangar hidden under a huge estate (the latter two feels straight out of X-men) and to cap it off, technology to heal gun shot wounds. Tech has always been a factor in modern day superhero movies, from Singer’s The X-Men to Snyder’s Batman V Superman, but here it feels as it’s not limited to a specific character or group. Charles Xavier had it because he’s crazy rich and a genius. Same for Batman and Iron-Man. Wakanda had it because they used that special metal. But here, it feels freely available… or at least isn’t explained. It’s like this movie is also part G.I. Joe.]

Hawkman who, I think (?), is supposed to be the leader of the team - and as such, one would presume would have some kind of maturity - comes across as extremely hot headed and immature. Pierce Brosnan looks mostly lost in the scenes he’s in. The mother is annoying some of the time. So is the kid most of the time.

The soundtrack is unremarkable but serves its purpose during the movie, I guess. It’s unobtrusive. It gets full throttle repetitive and annoying during the credits though, when there’s nothing to distract you from it.

To sum up, it sounds like I didn’t like this movie, but I did - it was fun and dumb - but I also recognize it’s not a good movie. But it’s entertaining!

Also the post credit….

Spoiler

…is cool! Even though I’m not a fan of Cavill’s Superman, it felt good to see him in the post credit scene.

And the soundtrack plays JW’s Superman theme when he appears! :)

30 minutes ago, rough cut said:

Also the post credit….

Hide contents

…is cool! Even though I’m not a fan of Cavill’s Superman, it felt good to see him in the post credit scene.

And the soundtrack plays JW’s Superman theme when he appears! :)

Spoiler

It's very odd that, in a movie scored by Lorne Balfe, it's JW's Superman theme that plays when he appears and not Zimmer's, specially after the 2017 Justice League movie, which used the Williams theme and made the fanboys whine on social media.