What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2022 films)

Jay

I guess this still counts:

I saw DC League of Super-Pets last week.

It wasn't mind blowing but it was a lot of fun. It hit a lot of the parts of Superman that I love. Yes, Keanu as Batman was as amazing as I wanted him to be.

It amazes me how long a shadow Williams' Superman score casts. They used Krypton for crying out loud! And it works every single time! Also, every time they played one of Williams' melodies you darn well knew it. Unlike, say, Elfman's Justice League.

They should’ve never thrown out JW’s theme in Man Of Steel and it’s sequel. Zimmer could’ve used the legacy themes, but I guess WB was scared death of getting another Superman Returns on their hands that they wanted to distance themselves as much as possible from that movie.

But what a mistake. Like making a Bond movie without using the Bond theme.

50 minutes ago, rough cut said:

They should’ve never thrown out JW’s theme in Man Of Steel and it’s sequel. Zimmer could’ve used the legacy themes, but I guess WB was scared death of getting another Superman Returns on their hands that they wanted to distance themselves as much as possible from that movie.

Snyder wanted to use the JW theme but WB said no. Personally I love MOS and am happy with the new theme which like JW’s captures the essence of Superman, but the alternative could have worked as well. At this point though with another superman movie it would be weird to use JW’s theme as Cavil’s superman is not associated with it.

Hmm, well, but for Never Say Never Again, all iconography such as as the gun barrel opening, the distinctive title sequences, or the Monty Norman-composed James Bond theme is missing because the company that produced it didn’t have the rights. So maybe not so much a creative decision as one taken out of legal necessity.

The difference between Williams and Zimmer is the difference between music and noise.

Btw anyone watched terrifier 2 yet?

2 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

The difference between Williams and Zimmer is the difference between music and noise.

I assume by that you mean that Zimmer is musical and Williams is really really REALLY musical.

On 25/10/2022 at 2:00 AM, rough cut said:

Worked for Trek lol

39 minutes ago, Tallguy said:

I assume by that you mean that Zimmer is musical and Williams is really really REALLY musical.

No. I think Zimmer is garbage. It depends on how the wind blows whether I think Zimmer or giacchino are the more mediocre. It flip flops. 

The Good Nurse

Drama/thriller about a nurse who over the course of 16 years killed around 400 people in different hospitals.

Very well directed by Tobias Lindholm (who won an Oscar for Another Round). Very tense.

Jessica Chastain & Eddie Redmayne play the 2 leads. Chastain is very good in role of the nurse who helps the police to get Cullen to confess. The way this woman's life was turned upsode down not just necause of this but because of the heart condition she had, was heartbreaking to watch sometimes. Chastain did a lot with the role.

Redmayne is the standout. He is such a nice guy and to see him in a role like this was great. The interrogation scene was incredible. He scared the shit out of me. Wonderful actor.

One of my favorites of the year so far. I love these thrillers based on true events that don't glamourise the story. It all feels very real. And that's all thanks to the director, writers & actors. Great stuff.

Highly recommended.

image.jpeg

THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN  dir. Martin McDonagh

An utterly flawless tragi-comedy. Those who know and love writer/director Martin McDonagh - from both his fantastic 2008 debut In Bruges and his more recent Awards favourite Three Bilboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - will adore this. 

It reunites Brendan Gleeson and Colin Farrell in a deliciously melancholy and hilarious tale that is set on a fictional and very remote Father Ted-esque locale.

I'm already booked in to see it again. It's a gorgeous, funny and heartbreaking tale... and anybody who has appreciated McDonagh's previous works will find more than enough to enjoy.

On 25/10/2022 at 8:51 AM, Mr. Who said:

Snyder wanted to use the JW theme but WB said no. Personally I love MOS and am happy with the new theme which like JW’s captures the essence of Superman, but the alternative could have worked as well.

I mean, no. The major tonic marches Williams cooked up at the end of the 70's would have collapsed Snyder's 'vision' - or the other way around. There might be a case for i. e. the Krypton stuff, which is teutonic enough in its Straussian roots for Zimmer, but really, which of the poor souls being forced to endure this gloomy orgy of destruction were asking for bright trumpet marches to go along with it?

The moment I saw Man of Steel I was strangely glad Williams' material is nowhere near it. Case in point is Elfman's attempts to satisfy everyone with his Justice League. I do admire him for trying but it just doesn't work. It's not that type of filmmaking.

Karol

3 hours ago, Jules said:

After Yang (Kogonada)

Gorgeous calm sci-fi with another great score and a great soulful Colin Farrell. 

Thanks for reminding me. Completely forgot to watch that. 

The Banshees Of Inisherin - it's 1923 and while civil war rages on the mainland of Ireland, Colm (Brendan Gleeson) falls out with best buddy Padraig (Colin Farrell) on the titular island off its coast for reasons at first unexplained. From this low-key beginning Martin McDonagh weaves a funny, moving and metaphorical tale ... both leads are great, Farrell in particular.

It might even be better. Don't get me wrong, I like In Bruges but the marketing made me think I was a getting a 'knockabout' hitman comedy. And it's considerably darker than that.  

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

brugge-kanaal_477727324_rudybalasko.jpg

It's the Venice of the North!

I was there in August with my sister because of the movie. We were both standing at the spot from where Ralph Fiennes penetrated Colin Farrell's stomach with a bullet.

Apart from the movie it is a very beautiful place too if you don't stay there for too long.

I just watched My Policeman.

It was interesting and moving, that's not a great movie, but it did its job.

Such movies need to be made, to show that it is not science fiction, the generation of our grand fathers could not live their lives normally if they were gay. And our grand mothers suffered a lot of this too.

Went to watch Black Adam with mates. To be honest, in the context of other DCEU movies, this wasn’t too bad. Redundant, predictable and derivative, but not without some entertainment value.

Karol

The Outfit

Damn that movie is great! Probably the best I've seen this year.

The plot and direction was top notch. Mark Rylance plays so well on a Bridge of Spies level. The rest of the cast is terrific too.

A little word about Desplat's music, it suited the film perfectly. I guess he's in for another Oscar nomination.

On 06/11/2022 at 9:42 AM, AC1 said:

I'm halfway Smile. Nothing major but watchable. It's certainly not on the level of It Follows, which it kinda borrows from.

small_c6a84d519a87743a.jpgy

Your final thoughts ?

8 hours ago, crocodile said:

Don't Worry Darling. It started off well enough but by the end it felt very familiar indeed.

Karol

It started of poorly and it has only gotten worse. I would turn it off except Dave wants to see how it ends.

Barbarian

Wow this film is crazy. It's truly terrifying and disturbing as shit. A clever script, great cinematography, directing and actimg make this a wing.

It's very much unlike a horror film I've seen.

I was scared and disturbed by I thought it was great!

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever

Simply great. Coogler did a great job here both as a director and writer with a very great treatment for all the characters. Costumes and sets were simply gorgeous.

The actors were all good and finally Göransson did a perfect job with the score and songs (Lift Me Up :heart:)

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever. With its ideas and more interesting character work, this feels, at the very least, more interesting than the first one. The ideas this films attempts to tackle are definitely more grown up than in many Marvel films. I am not sure, however, if it is a good Marvel film. It's quite poignant and muted in places, which I actually appreciate, but I can't quite say it all lands. For something that should celebrate someone, it leaves surprisingly little hope by the end. After watching it I am feeling bit pensive and lost. Is this how it should be?

Karol

Weird: The Al Yankovic Story

This movie is chaos and I loved every second of it. I thoight it was very funny!!

Don't go into it expecting a 'normal' biopic. Like his songs, it's a parody of the highest order.

Daniel Radcliffe is great. And does extremely well in the performances and lypsyncing. 

Evan Rachel Wood is hilarious as Madonna. The role makes no sense, but it doesn't matter. It so funny.

There are a lot of fun cameos of different real life people and actors playing them.

The score is also wonderful. It fully plays along with the insaness of the film and is all the better for it. There are some great moments in the score and it was a truly nice surprise.

The original song ' Now You Know' is funny. And is even better after seeing the film, it makes a lot more sense.

Watched Top Gun: Maverick on UHD Blu-ray with friends last night. Aside from being an audio-visual marvel on disc, the film remains highly entertaining. It's the type of cheesy fun only Cruise and James Cameron can get away with. There's nothing else to it other than expertly calibrated fun.

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

It's the type of cheesy fun only Cruise and James Cameron can get away with.

The phrasing suggest others don't, but i don't think that is the case. Cruise (here and elsewhere) is the only one who still knows how to make a mid-size blockbuster that not only rouses, but also scores a few points by hinting that the dumb jocks of the original movie gained some wisdom after 1986. What i'm saying is that TP:M is remarkable in its avoidance of all the possible missteps.

As for Cameron, only god knows. And we, in a few weeks.

Bella Ramsey Appears on Official 'Catherine Called Birdy' Poster; Check! –  Designer Women

Catherine Called Birdy

This is a quite enjoyable comedy/drama about a 14 year old lady in 13th century England who parents run out of money and are desperate to marry her off to someone wealthy, which she could not be less interested in doing.  Catherine is played by Bella Ramsey, who was gave us the super memorable role of Lady Mormont and has been cast as Ellie in The Last Of US - this film gave me full confidence she will be great in that role as she shows the full range in this film of everything Ellie goes through in the games.  Catherine's parents are played by Andrew Scott and Billie Piper, and they are both really good here!  Andrew Scott especially has a fun turn near the end of the movie.

Catherine's various adventures with a variety of side characters, and the various ways she sabotages a wide variety of prospective suitors are all enjoyable, and there's an interest medieval birth scene that just pre-dated House of the Dragon doing something similar.  I wasn't expecting to like this movie that much, but it's surprisingly well-made and enjoyable!

It's on Amazon Prime

I've only seen the original 1878 Halloween. I was considering watching all the others but gave that idea up after seeing this helpful chart on Wikipedia. 😆 

IMG-20221018-WA0004.jpg

Karol