What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2022 films)

Jay

Barbarian (2022) - IMDb

So this is one of the scariest movies of the year? It had a decent start (though maybe a bit too slow) and it got pretty good by the middle... Until when the MeToo-ed director appeared, after that the movie just got sillier and stupider. The discovery of what is actually on the house was somewhat disappointing after the promising and intriguing mystery that set it up. It actually reminded me of another horror movie:

Spoiler

Don't Breathe.

Which, just like Barbarian, is also set in Detroit.

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (2022) - IMDb

At this point, I think it's clear that Ryan Coogler is operating on a whole other level than the rest of the MCU. While the other Phase 4 Marvel movies are busy undercutting any dramatic potential with juvenile jokes, cliche scripts and a lot of (often not good) CGI, BP 2 is something more adult and serious, exploring themes like colonization and exploration of people in Africa and South America.

It's so more grown-up and cerebral than the others that this was literally the first MCU movie my mother saw in theaters (she had seen the first BP on TV and wanted to check the sequel).

LG's score (songs included) fits the movie like a glove. I wouldn't be surprised if he was nominated for another Oscar.

See How They Run' Review: A Snappy Retro-Kitsch Murder Comedy - Variety

See How They Run

I was really looking forward to this movie after seeing the trailer - a murder mystery where Sam Rockwell is the detective, paired up with a funny Saoirse Ronan?  Sign me up!  Sadly while it started out well enough, it didn't really end up being all that compelling or interesting.  

Saoirse Ronan was really very good, but Sam Rockwell wasn't allowed to let loose at all, which was very strange.  I guess I'd say he was miscast?  It definitely created expectations for me that weren't met at the very least.  The victim(s) and cavalcade of suspects - Adrien Brody, Ruth Wilson, David Oyelowo, Sian Clifford, and many more are all good, and even Moaning Myrtle shows up as Agatha Christie (the film's murder plot occurs at a real-life Christie play and even involves the quirk that a movie cannot be made of that play until the play is no longer performed, which as of 2022 it still is)

Oh well.  It's on HBO Max

Enola Holmes 2 review - is Millie Bobby Brown's sequel any good?

Enola Holmes 2

An alright sequel to the original; If you liked the first one you're very likely to like this one as well; If you didn't like the first one, it's unlikely you'll get into this one.

It nicely features a new plot construction, it does not just repeat the first film's beats or pacing at all, which is great.  And the mystery was actually pretty interesting, and worked in some real life history that was pretty cool.  But I didn't find it to be directed very well, with none of the action or chase scenes being particularly exciting.  And also some of the minor character seemed to be really crammed into the script at the last minute (her mother and Edith).

It's on Netflix

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Enola Holmes 2 review - is Millie Bobby Brown's sequel any good?

Enola Holmes 2

An alright sequel to the original; If you liked the first one you're very likely to like this one as well; If you didn't like the first on, it's unlikely you'll get into this one.

It nicely features a new plot construction, it does not just repeat the first film's beats or pacing at all, which is great.  And the mystery was actually pretty interesting, and worked in some real life history that was pretty cool.  But I didn't find it to be directed very well, with none of the action or chase scenes being particularly exciting.  And also some of the minor character seemed to be really crammed into the script at the last minute (her mother and Edith).

It's on Netflix

We adored this. But like you said, if the first one didn't grab you then this one won't either.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

If you liked the first one you're very likely to like this one as well; If you didn't like the first on, it's unlikely you'll get into this one.

I'm still not sure if I'll like this or not.

Well it's free on Netflix if you already have a subscription so it doesn't cost anything to find out

If you don't, I wouldn't bother tracking it down elsewhere

7 hours ago, DeltaPupJux said:

I watched The Watcher on Netflix. I liked it. 

That's the spirit! It's nothing great but I thought it was very entertaining and amusing. Netflix has renewed it for a second season.

Dahmer (also from Ryan Murphy) is better though ...

Or did you mean Watcher

On 15/11/2022 at 4:25 PM, Jay said:

See How They Run' Review: A Snappy Retro-Kitsch Murder Comedy - Variety

See How They Run

I was really looking forward to this movie after seeing the trailer - a murder mystery where Sam Rockwell is the detective, paired up with a funny Saoirse Ronan?  Sign me up!  Sadly while it started out well enough, it didn't really end up being all that compelling or interesting.  

Saoirse Ronan was really very good, but Sam Rockwell wasn't allowed to let loose at all, which was very strange.  I guess I'd say he was miscast?  It definitely created expectations for me that weren't met at the very least.  The victim(s) and cavalcade of suspects - Adrien Brody, Ruth Wilson, David Oyelowo, Sian Clifford, and many more are all good, and even Moaning Myrtle shows up as Agatha Christie (the film's murder plot occurs at a real-life Christie play and even involves the quirk that a movie cannot be made of that play until the play is no longer performed, which as of 2022 it still is)

Oh well.  It's on HBO Max

I enjoyed it for what it was, bit of fun really. Guess the 'humorous murder mysteries' sub-genre is now dominated by the Knives Out franchise. 

Has anyone seen the new version of All Quiet on the western front?

Every day I see more and more posts on my facebook feed, about  what a great film or even a masterpiece this is.

Though I just saw a couple of posts about the score being disappointing or distracting and I'm just listening to it on spotify.

Do Revenge Wasted Sophie Turner (Unless There's A Spinoff)

Do Revenge

Oh man, this attempt to update Hitchcock's "Strangers On A Train" to a modern high-school setting is pretty much in the "so bad, it's good" category; There's no I'd say this is a good, well-made movie at all, but it has so much fun with its silly premise and tropes it's enjoyable to watch with friends and beer on a night you want to turn your brain off.

Camila Mendes (Palm Springs) is the former queen bee turned outcast when a sext video she sent her boyfriends leaks to the whole school; Maya Hawke (Stranger Things' Robin) is the new transfer student with a vendetta against a student going there she has a history with from summer camp.  The two meet each other and soon agree to exact revenge on each other's nemesis for a better chance of getting justice; various shenanigans ensue.

It's not a boring watch it's just completely empty.  Sarah Michelle Gellar cashes a paycheck as the school's principal, and Sophie Turner (Game of Thrones) is the surprise of the movie, in a very funny extended cameo role.  I had no idea she had such comedic talent!

It's on Netflix.

Don't Worry Darling' review: Olivia Wilde scandals blunt thrills - Los  Angeles Times

Don't Worry Darling

This movie is a total failure!  It spends 2 acts building and building an interesting enough mystery - Florence Pugh seems to be in an idyllic 1950s neighborhood where she doesn't have to work, enjoying the company of her cul de sac's housewives all day while their husbands all work at the mysterious 'Victory Project".  Things start to get wonky - all the eggs in the carton are empty one day, another day a plane flies overhead and crashes then disappears, one of her neighbors commits suicide but the Victory Project dr claims she slipped and fell and is recovering fine, etc.....

Finally the third act explains everything, and it's total nonsense!  Not only does it not really explain everything that happened in the first 2 acts, it just asks many more questions, and doesn't make a lot of sense at all.  The final climax is a car chase that feels like it sort of has some stakes, but then the movie just ends before any ramifications are explored.

For the majority of people out there, this is a waste of time you shouldn't bother with.  However, the acting by Pugh and Chris Pine is very good, so can be enjoyed for that only.  But the biggest takeaway I got from this film was the original score by John Powell, which was truly terrific!  It's quite original and fresh, so much so that I suspect it is going to start appearing on temp tracks and director's will be asking composers to emulate it.  This film is worth watching by any John Powell fan just to see this score work in context - it's consistently great, even as the movie is failing on every other level (except the acting) around it.

It's on HBO Max

The Menu

Absolutely incredible!!!!! I can't recommend this film highly enough.

It's totally bonkers, but it really worked and I loved every second of it.

It has some really clever things to say, but it doesn't say them out loud. It's all very cleverly woven into the script. I won't spoil it, and I urge you to go into the film with knowing as little as possible.

The end is truly brilliant.

The whole cast is great. Anya Taylor Joy & Ralph Fiennes lead the ensemble and both give terrific performances. Fiennes is especially chilling.

But the whole ensemble does wonderful work. This wouldn't have worked if one person did a lesser job, so kudos to the actors and casting.

I also really enjoyed the music. It's the first score I've heard from composer Colin Stetson, so I can't speak for his other work. But here he did a great job.

Mark Mylod is the director (he has done some great Game Of Thrones episodes and is a director and producer on Succession).

His directing here is very strong, just like in Succession, and I wouldn't be surprised if he gets some nomination for this (maybe for the script, production design & cinematography as well).

I loved this film soooo much and is one of my favourites of the year. Incredible!!!!

The Guardians of the Galaxy Holiday Special is such a joy!!

It was truly great. So funny and really sweet.

If you like Mantis, and I love Mantis, this is for you. It's basicly her special and I loved it. Pom Klementief is so good here. Really funny and I'm glad she finally gets more to do after she was so well used in Infinity War.

Kevin Bacon's part in this is also so funny and he is totally game. Great to see.

This made me very excited about both Christmas and the 3rd Guardians film. Wonderful way to spend 45 minutes.

Glass Onion : A Knives Out Mystery - Daniel Craig returns as 'Southern gentleman' private eye Benoit Blanc, this time pitching up on the private island of Musk-esque tech billionaire Miles Bron (Edward Norton) along with his closest friends for a proposed murder-mystery weekend. Naturally, things turn out to be far from that straightforward.

Rian Johnson has plenty of fun at the expense of social media influencers/'disruptors' (this is often a very funny film) whilst also delivering a properly knotty, twisty murder mystery. At the head of an excellent ensemble cast (including Kate Hudson, Janelle Monae, Dave Bautista, Kathryn Hahn and Leslie Odom Jr) Craig is (again) clearly having way more fun as Blanc than he was allowed to have as Bond.

I enjoyed this a lot.

For me, every movie is now a four episode story... I now find it very hard to watch a 2-hour movie non-stop... Thanks to Netflix indeed!

@Naïve Old Fart You don't need TV, because at a certain age, you don't really watch TV anymore, it watches you instead!

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@crocodile

Sorry my friend, but I don't even own a TV, let alone Netflix.

There is a touring mobile cinema which comes to my town every three months, or so. If it's showing the film, I'll watch it, then.

It's having a week-only cinema run before being available on Netflix from Dec 23rd ... not sure what that'll do to its chances of being the mobile cinema's next offering? 

I also don't 'do' Netflix, hence the cinema trip.    

10 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

@crocodile

Sorry my friend, but I don't even own a TV, let alone Netflix.

There is a touring mobile cinema which comes to my town every three months, or so. If it's showing the film, I'll watch it, then.

I am with you. I do own TV as such haven't had any actual television on it since 2011. It's a redundant medium. You don't watch films at home at all then?

Karol

What I said, above, was a bit of a misrepresentation.

I do own a TV, but I choose not to receive a signal (I'll be damned if going to pay upwards of £150, for right-wing BBC gobshite!). Instead, I have a collection of DVDs, which I dip into, from time to time.

Most of the time, I make do with radio, music, and books.

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

...not sure what that'll do to its chances of being the mobile cinema's next offering? 

Because it tours only four times per year, the chances are 50/50. It all depends on what is popular whenever the cinema gets here. It will always have the blockbusters (I saw both DUNE and NO TIME TO DIE, in February), and it likes to show a selection of films which are of special interest to the islands, but apart from that, it's anyone's guess.

One thing I can almost guarantee, however, is that it'll probably turn up at the thrift shop, sooner or later :)

I'd rather have, and wait for, a timely Blu-ray release than watch in on Netflix. I normally "do" Netflix for series only, but for films I much prefer the quality and reliability of a physical release.

I don't have a 4K TV, but the compression on 1080p Netflix looks (depending on the material, but certainly in dark, action-rich sequences) considerably worse than Blu. And every once in a while there's a network dropout that messes with whatever I'm viewing. Or Netflix loses the licence of something I'd want to watch and has to remove it from the platform.

44 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Am I right in thinking that Netflix productions/co-productions don't tend to get physical releases (because presumably streaming platforms see them as counter-productive)?  

Very rarely at least. I'd happily buy stuff like Black Mirror and The End of the F***ing World physically. Or some Amazon Prime stuff that I can't watch at all when I don't have one of my rare Prime membership months, except by downloading it. Some of their stuff was released physically, but not much.

I prefer Netflix's 4K content over blu-ray, even though it's 4K compressed. What I do notice is that Netflix uses more noise reduction than Prime which often looks sharper. 

4 hours ago, AC1 said:

I prefer Netflix's 4K content over blu-ray, even though it's 4K compressed. What I do notice is that Netflix uses more noise reduction than Prime which often looks sharper. 

On my PS4, Netflix 1080p has noticeable banding with compression blocking in darker scenes, but Prime has much more of both. Of course, more noise means more bandwidth, so the two could be related. Prime also has the MUCH worse interface (the worst thing to come out of the whole streaming fragmentation (worse than the streaming itself) is that you have to use different apps for different contents, just because).

On my Kodi box (with the necessary plugins to enable 1080p in the first place), Netflix with VP9 compression (the default) looks much worse still, practically unwatchable on a big projection screen. H.264 uses much more bandwidth, but looks decent.

Criterion has a distribution deal with Netflix. So for anyone looking for Netflix films on physical media, I suggest checking the Collection. 

Criterion only recently adopted the 4K format, so I get better quality streaming than I would physical. 

Black Adam

It's bad, but very watchable. The movie is basically just one very long action scene with some smaller moments in between, but the special effects are decent and the cast is entertaining. 

Lorne Balfe's score is like a guy screaming in your face ISN'T IT SO EPIC AND BADASS? at all times, but I've grown to appreciate his themes for BA and the JSA.

Still, I think someone should make a supercut of the movie featuring all the moments with the ubiquitous HORN OF DOOM!

I’m afraid to watch Black Adam …

because I might like it.  And what does that say about me? :lol:

I watched A Christmas Story Christmas.  

I’m an OG fan of the original. Saw it in the theater before it was anything.  It’s probably my favorite of all the lighter hearted holiday films. 

The legacy sequel is enjoyable but fairly unremarkable.  I have to give them props for showing restraint and care with the material.  It’s not over the top. And it does get a bit melancholy.  I think it does miss the mark in showing the joy of Christmas from a kids’ point of view, as it is instead from an adult point of view, and therefore a bit less sweet and rosey.

As it is set in 1973, I was hoping to feel more of that period vibe (I was born a year prior), but it didn’t seem to bring the old timey feels the way the original must’ve for boomers.   Some of the fashions and styles seemed more modern, as though they overcompensated to avoid looking too Brady Bunch. 

Good, but not great.  My daughter loved it. 

Violent Night - if you're looking for something to cut through the seasonal schmaltz a bit, this sweary and bloodily violent festive action-comedy might be right up your chimney. David Harbour stars as Santa, who (when he arrives at a fancy family home as a robbery is taking place) steps up, action-hero stylee. Also starring John Leguizamo and Beverly D'Angelo.

Violent Night was lots of fun.  I especially liked the bit about 

Spoiler

Santa’s warrior past before becoming the Santa we know. 

Beverly D’Angelo is having a lot of fun here too.   I enjoyed the director’s previous efforts Dead Snow and Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters.  This is the same kind of thing. Over the top, not to be taken seriously.  Not mean spirited, just fun. 

On a whim, I watched 2020’s Fatman with Mel Gibson, which shares some similarities with Violent Night. They pair well together, with Violent Night being the more “popcorn” of the two. 

4 hours ago, Andy said:

Violent Night was lots of fun.  I especially liked the bit about 

Reveal hidden contents

Beverly D’Angelo is having a lot of fun here too.   I enjoyed the director’s previous efforts Dead Snow and Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters.  This is the same kind of thing. Over the top, not to be taken seriously.  Not mean spirited, just fun. 

I didn't expect it but Hansel & Gretel was fun indeed (perhaps even misunderstood?). I never watched his other flicks.

December for me is alway the time in the year where I catch up on some of the fioms I missed earlier in the year.

I watched Pearl this afternoon. I really enjoyed it. I loved the 'old timey' look and feel of the entire film.

There isn't a lot of plot, but that doesn't matter, because this is the Mia Goth show. And wow, is she terrific. The whole is about her and she is fantastic throughout, but the best thing is the monologue she has at the end. I believe it's a one take close up of just her face of almost 10 minutes and it's incredible.

Than her face behind the end credits is also terrific.

Bates & Williams' score is also very good. I've heard this before and was mostly the reason I wanted to see the film. Big orchestral thriller score, of the best in the genre this year.

She Said

This is one the best films of the year.

Incredibly well directed, written and acted. Not a weak link among any of the the actors.

The film doesn't show any of the abuse Weinstein has committed, and it's all the better for it. Weinstein himself is heard on the phone multiple times (by a very good actor) and a body double is used to show him from behind in 2 shots (also very well done). And I love that the filmmakers chose not to show his face, because this is not his story.

It's the story about the 2 women who worked so hard to get this story into the light. And it's about all the women who were brave to talk about the experiences they had.

The film is 2 hours and not a moment is wasted. And what I felt was especially incredible is that you know how it ends, but the last 30 minutes of the film are very tense.

Britell's score works amazing in the film and I appreciate it a lot more now on album. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets nominations for this.

This whole film was just perfect for me. I see some people compare this film to 2019's Bombshell. I get where these people come from, but this film is much much better. It's more realistic and a lot less showy and I felt, all the more better for it.

Highly recommended

Pinocchio

I loved this film. It was beautiful, in a lot of aspects.

The stop-motion animation is incredible. Not only the puppet work but the landscapes etc.

The voice actors are all fantastic. Ewan McGregor, David Bradley, Gregory Mann, Tilda Swinton & Christophe Waltz were especially great. And, wow, does Blanchet have range.

Desplat's music is truly wonderful. I've been a fan of his for quite some time now and after 2 years of not great scores from him, it's great to hear him like this again. The songs aren't that great, but Ciao Papa is definitely the standout.

Carlo's Theme is one of Desplat's best, I think. Such beauty and emotion.

Don't expect the Disney version of Pinocchio. It's not really for kids. It's about war (Mussolini is in it), love, family, staying true to yourself. But mostly about death in a heartbreaking and incredible way.

The big plot points are the same, but other than that, this a completely different film. The script is very well written and I especially loved the end. And it's to the credit of Del Toro and his co-director that they ended the film that way, because not every director would do that. Just like with last years Nightmare Alley, it was the end, that lifted the film up to even better than I already thought it was.

Till

The true story about Mamie Till and the murder of her son Emmett.

For me, this is one of the best films of the year. Like She Said, it is a dramatisation of true events but it keeps it all very real and grounded. Kudos to director Chinonye Chukwu, she did an excellent job.

This is a film about the injustice of a group of people and about the loss of a loved one to violence. The film doesn't shy away from the horrible things that happened to Emmett and the absolutely disgusting way that the people who did those things got away with it, without any consequences.

Danielle Deadwyler is a powerhouse in the role of Mamie. She is in command of every moment she is on screen and it's mesmerizing to watch. The scene where she first sees Emmett's coffin, then his body and her testemony scene are heartwrenching. She deserves awards nominations for her work here, it's incredible.

I'm never afraid to show my emotions, and they were pushed to the limits with this film. I cried 4 times at different points in the film for different reasons. And a film that can make me feel so deeply and with so many different emotions is an absolute work of art to me.

Abel Korzeniowski's score helps tremendously to make the audience feel the emotion of the story. It's a really good score.

I feel this is one of the best and most important films of the year. It's a story about the injustice done to a person, a family and a whole group of people that unfortunately is still happening today.

A must watch!!

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio. I thought this was quite wonderful, just the right balance of emotion, comedy and darkness. Might be one of his very finest films actually. Truly effortless in in its magic and genuine in emotion. Makes the recent Disney version all the more embarrassing.

Karol

Avatar-Way-of-Water-Still-2-Publicity-H-

Ridden with all the narrative tropes and clichés designed for a child of the 80s, and doused with a naive twee sentimentality, it is still a rather impressive experience to watch unfold on screen. The children are well-cast (save for an awkward Sigourney Weaver) and bring a lot of spirit to the new film. And the new tribe is beautifully designed, even if they beg for similar story beats from the last film to be repeated. And Cameron definitely knows how to stage a good action climax.

It's all silly, but you can't help but be on the edge of your seat waiting for what's next. It's entertaining stuff.

There is more of Horner's thematic material in film than on the OST. You can tell Cameron really relied on the original score to push the film forward. But you can't help but notice a lot of the vitality and exuberance of its predecessor has been lost. Despite his noble efforts, Franglen's tribute to Horner is rather vanilla.

Just now, KK said:

The children are well-cast (save for an awkward Sigourney Weaver)

Can you elaborate on this?