What Is The Last Film You Watched? (2022 films)

Jay

I want to see The Fabelmans (to hear the music in context mostly), but I'm afraid that I will get bored...:sarcasm:

edit: Ok, I watched it. I didn't get bored too much, but again, it felt an ordinary movie with no magic, not directed by a great filmmaker that Spielberg is.

And an Oscar nomination for uncle Boris? Must be the shortest role nominated for an Oscar since Queen Elizabeth in Shakespeare in Love? I don't know.

Now, about the music, it felt even shorter in the film than it does on cd. A couple of wasted opportunities for original score, but who am I to judge the spotting notes?

All in all, this is, I think now, my least favourite Spielberg Williams scored film, only above 1941.

18 hours ago, filmmusic said:

All in all, this is, I think now, my least favourite Spielberg Williams scored film, only above 1941.

Least favorite Spielberg movie or Williams score?

I've booked for it on Sat night, didn't fancy any of the other 'out of the house' entertainment options in my locality this weekend. Must confess it's starting to sound like something I could've caught on TV in a couple of years without feeling like I'd lost out much by not seeing it the cinema. If it wasn't an independent cinema who don't really do refunds if you've changed your mind, I may have just cancelled. 

Marcel The Shell With Shoes On

This was really sweet. I feel this is really a film you have to expiernce. I thought it was very special with some beautiful life lessons and some sneeky commentary on today's day & age

The Fabelmans - Spielberg's autobiographical love-letter to his parents (in all their flaws and foibles as well as their decency) and to the movies themselves. Nostalgic, poignant and amusing if maybe a little long and slightly lacking in Spielberg 'magic'.

Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio' Review: Puppets and Power - The New York  Times

Pinocchio

I LOVED THIS MOVIE!!!

I wasn't impressed with the initial trailers but then the buzz was really palpable and I couldn't wait to see it.  When I finally did, I was hooked almost right away.  The animation is so fantastic, you can't take your eyes off the screen. The voicework is so good, every character becomes someone you want to see and hear more from.  The story was good too - so much happens in two hours, and the pacing is great the whole time.

Easily one of my favorite movies of the year, and best of the 2020s so far.  Wow!

It's on Netflix

Barbarian might be the scariest film you see this year | SYFY WIRE

Barbarian

Wow!  I don't watch a lot of horror movies but this is certainly one of the better ones I've seen.  It's almost more of a thriller than a horror film, with a lot of just pure drama as well.  It was so well done!

This is the kind of movie where it's best to know almost nothing going in, so I'll only set up the very beginning which is that Tess (Georgina Campbell) arrives in the middle of the night in the pouring rain to an Air BNB she rented in a bad neighborhood in a bad part of Detroit, only to find it already occupied by Keith (Bill Skarsgård).  He convinces her that the property management company must have double-booked the place, and welcomes her to spend the night, telling her there's a big conference in and surely every hotel will be booked.  Where the story goes from there I found to be quite unpredictable, especially as the movie went on, and into more and more surprising directions.

This is an extremely violent film but if that doesn't bother you, and you like the occasional horror/scary movie, I'd definitely recommend it - it's very well done.

It's on HBO Max

I liked how many moments of genuine comedy it had throughout.  Definitely a fun watch, not a slog at all.  And the murders were so hilariously over the top eventually.

But nothing was funnier than the shot of the creature flying downward to rescue her "daughter", I laughed out loud

Tár (2022)

FbA8XjqXEAAMi-N.jpg

Starts off very heavy and elitist but it gets better after that. Stylistically and artistically, it's probably the most European film ever made by an American director. I didn't understand the ending. Was it literal or allegorical? 7/10

The next Todd field film in 2030?

Each time I watch a David Cronenberg movie, I think I'll never see a weirder movie... untill I watch the next Cronenberg.

I'm not a fan, more a Howard Shore fan... Anyway... Crimes of the Future...

Woooo....

Top Gun: Maverick

Simple story, simple score. I slept a bit in the actual mission (hehe). Some impressive aerial shots, but I think this is overrated at imdb.

Although I don't remember the original, I will prefer it just for nostalgia reasons.

Amsterdam (2022)

MV5BMzQ2M2NhMzItYzRiNS00OWFmLWJjNmQtYzFk

The movie lost me the moment the story goes back in time. It's then when I switched it off. I now see that it doesn't get high praise from IMDb either so I know I did the right thing. 

Prey (2022)

MV5BMDBlMDYxMDktOTUxMS00MjcxLWE2YjQtNjNh

Somebody said "Hey, this is a great movie", but the truth is, it's a Disney kids movie with horror elements. I did watch the whole thing so it gets points for that. 

Everything Everywhere All at Once' Grosses $100 Million Globally - Variety

Everything Everywhere All at Once

WOW!  I finally caught up with this movie and was blown away by it.  I LOVED IT!

I am so regretful that I didn't see it in the theater!!  Luckily it looks great on blu ray (and there are a bunch of special features too, though I didn't want to watch any until after a second viewing some day).

I don't even know what to say about it; Surely anybody interested in seeing it has seen it by now.  If not and you're reading this I'd say: This is one of the most inventive and original films I've seen in years, brimming with so many fun and cool ideas from start to finish.  Check it out if that sounds appealing, without reading anything else about it!

One of the things I really liked about this was that nothing is just a throwaway gag; Everything comes back and gets paid off.  The hot dog fingers, Raccacoonie (LOL!), the sex toys, Jenny Slate, etc etc.  So rewarding!

There's so much going on in this movie its hard to process.  I want to go and read everything people here have said about it. I should have started a Spoiler Talk thread when it came out, surely a lot of people would have enjoyed an in-depth discussion about some stuff here.  I had no idea at the time!  Damn!

Yeah, that film is incredible. I feel it should win top honors at the Oscars. It's one of the inventive films in quite a few years.

I love it so much!!! It's incredible. I've seen it 16 times and everytime I find new stuff to appreciate

16 times!?

Dude, you watch so many movies and shows - do you work? Have a family? Go to school?

How do you find time for all this content?

Hahahaha. I was wondering if someone was gonna ask that after so many posts.

I have a job, but at the momemt I'm not working due to an accident I had in September. And that recovery is taking longer than I would like.

And I'm switching jobs in the near future to fully focuse on film/series/scores. So there's that 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't even know what to say about it; Surely anybody interested in seeing it has seen it by now.

I haven't! Though I've had the Blu-ray lying around for a couple of weeks now. I've been thinking of doing a film night with a few of the big Oscar nominees before the awards, but sadly it seems rather unlikely, since at least those I've especially interested in (The Banshees of InisherinTar, and The Fabelmans) seem unlikely to come by (for a justified price) until later in March.

My recommendation would be to watch it before the Oscars, and don't bundle it with other movies on the same night.  It's got so much going on, its enough movie for one night - trust me!  Whether you watch it solo and go online or watch it with a group, there'll be a lot to talk about and discuss with it.

Netflix Reveals Remaining 2022 Movie Release Dates: White Noise, Guillermo  Del Toro's Pinocchio, and More - IGN

White Noise

I enjoyed this very silly, quite absurd movie.  There's so many individual funny or interesting scenes, and all the acting is great.  Adam Driver and Greta Gerwig do most of the heavy lifting and one or both of them are in most scenes, but all these other character keep popping in and out and adding nice flavor to eveything going on.  Elfman's score is just BRILLIANT in this, driving home the absurdity of everything going on.

It definitely felt like 3 movies in one (each act having a bit of a different tone to another), but in this case that worked for me.  I guess I need to see more Noah Baumbach movies now cause I've kind of liked all the ones I've seen.

It's on Netflix

On 26/2/2023 at 10:42 AM, Jay said:

This Scene From 'The Banshees Of Inisherin' Is Going Viral (And Will Break  Your Heart Into A Million Feckin' Pieces) | Decider

The Banshees of Inisherin

Wow.  That was an interesting film.  And a bit of a thinker.

I like that it goes right into the story in the very first scene, and that forms everything that happens in the entire movie.  And the setting was gorgeous, I want to go to Ireland now!

Juxtaposing the story against the Irish civil war was brilliant, as the characters are commenting on how its brothers fighting for no good reason and that's just what Farrell and Gleeson are doing.

The acting was just as great as the cinematography; Farrell and Gleeson deserve a lot of credit and do great work, sure, but I was expecting them to be great.  Who surprised me was Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan - those 2 were also very good, and came close to stealing the show at times with some acting decisions.

I was not surprised to look up after we watched that all 4 were nominated for acting!  I hope Condon and Keoghan win.  Also nominated for Screenplay, score, editing, directing, picture... wow!

Speaking of the score, by Carter Burwell, I loved it!  I hadn't been wowwed by sampling the OST briefly a while back, but within the film the music is AWESOME, a big juxtaposition to the visuals.  What I mean is that the score could have easily been traditional Irish fair, but McDonagh wisely keeps the Irish music to what the characters play on screen; Burwell's score instead seems to usher you into the character's thought processes and the emotions of what's going on.  Really nice stuff.

It's on HBO Max

I just watched this last night. Really great, meditative film. I liked the analogy to the civil war, showing how fighting can corrupt even the nicest of men.

I finally saw Tar.  I enjoyed it.  Very fine performance by Cate Blanchett.  She was way better than many pro conductors.  I know John Mauceri was an advisor so I wonder if she was mimicking him or actually learned the craft but the end result was impressive.  Script was pretty good but musicians would find some of the music dialog cringy.  I realize after seeing it, music conducting is not what it is about...

Spoiler

Elite music conducting was just the setting.  It could have been in elite sports or elite theater or any other elite creative effort.  So, musicians who get hung up on the technical details are missing the point of the film.  It's like hating Amadeus because of all its inaccuracies.  The film is not at all historically accurate AND it is a great film that reduces the leads to caricatures.  The exact same thing with The Right Stuff that greatly offends space historians but is an exceptional film, nonetheless.  I personally think Whiplash is a better film in this same genre.  Basically, exploring the personal cost of genius at the highest artistic levels.  This film might be closer to Birdman actually, where the "artist" loses touch with reality.  That is a less compelling story than Whiplash where the characters never lose touch with reality but instead rise to the challenge at incredible personal cost for their art and only then we realize the mentor's cruel methods achieved the intended results.  

On 26/2/2023 at 8:42 AM, Jay said:

This Scene From 'The Banshees Of Inisherin' Is Going Viral (And Will Break  Your Heart Into A Million Feckin' Pieces) | Decider

The Banshees of Inisherin

Wow.  That was an interesting film.  And a bit of a thinker.

I like that it goes right into the story in the very first scene, and that forms everything that happens in the entire movie.  And the setting was gorgeous, I want to go to Ireland now!

Juxtaposing the story against the Irish civil war was brilliant, as the characters are commenting on how its brothers fighting for no good reason and that's just what Farrell and Gleeson are doing.

The acting was just as great as the cinematography; Farrell and Gleeson deserve a lot of credit and do great work, sure, but I was expecting them to be great.  Who surprised me was Kerry Condon and Barry Keoghan - those 2 were also very good, and came close to stealing the show at times with some acting decisions.

I was not surprised to look up after we watched that all 4 were nominated for acting!  I hope Condon and Keoghan win.  Also nominated for Screenplay, score, editing, directing, picture... wow!

Speaking of the score, by Carter Burwell, I loved it!  I hadn't been wowwed by sampling the OST briefly a while back, but within the film the music is AWESOME, a big juxtaposition to the visuals.  What I mean is that the score could have easily been traditional Irish fair, but McDonagh wisely keeps the Irish music to what the characters play on screen; Burwell's score instead seems to usher you into the character's thought processes and the emotions of what's going on.  Really nice stuff.

It's on HBO Max

Phenomenal film, one of the best of the year.

Assuming you’ve seen In Bruges?

Living

Beautiful film. Very British.

I've never seen the film this is based on so I can't judge on differences or if one is better. But I enjoyed this very much.

It's quite a simple story, but as the title suggests it's about living and what you do with your life. There are some lovely messages in here.

Bill Nighy is outstanding. I've been a fan of him for so long, even met him once in London (he's very nice), and I'm happy he gets the recognition he deserves for this role and his career. His perfomance is anything but showy, it's all in the little things. The way his eyes move or he turns his head. I thought it was terrific!

The score by Emilie Levienaise-Farrouch fits the film like a glove and has some beautiful piano arrangements.

On 06/03/2023 at 11:20 PM, Nick1Ø66 said:

Phenomenal film, one of the best of the year.

Assuming you’ve seen In Bruges?

I have, and I liked it! 

(How was that 14 years ago? Jesus...)

Emily the Criminal Cast: Every Actor and Character in the Movie

Emily the Criminal

I really liked this character-based crime thriller!  Aubrey Plaza is really good as Emily, a hard-working Los Angelino transplant working a catering job she hates due to not being able to find satisying work due to a prior felony conviction.  She dreams of being a painter but has no way to pursue that with all her debts she can barely cover from the job.

A series of events leads her into small credit card fraud to make more money, then escalating into a sort of partnership with the leader of the ring, and more things develop from there such as a romance and a job interview for a real job.  I liked the unpredictable path the film follows, gave me a little Blue Ruin vibes at times.  The third act was largely satisfying, as was the denouement.  Nice little flick.

It's on Netflix

BabylonOfficialTheatricalPoster2022.jpeg

Babylon

I was really curious to see this movie, both to see how explicit it would be and also to see how Hurwitz's score works in context.

It's not an awful movie by any means. The reviews were maybe a little too harsh. And I liked it more than First Man. But it's not amazing either, it tries to be this Scorsese/Paul Thomas Anderson epic but the result is not always satisfactory. And the ending montage, with Manny crying while clips of classic movies appear, is utter cringe - though I almost always cringe when Hollywood celebrates itself through tHe MaGiC oF mOvIeS (it's one of the reasons I wasn't a fan of Once Upon a Time in Hollywood). 

The acting is fine, though Margot Robbie is just playing 1920s Harley Quinn (I find amusing the idea that Damian Chazelle had to sit through Suicide Squad to find a lead for his movie) and Brad Pitt is... himself.

Still, a somewhat entertaining movie with some genuinely great scenes and moments (like the opening party, the snake sequence, Robbie's character trying to act in a sound movie and everything involving Tobey Maguire, aka Gangsta Peter Parker).

34 minutes ago, Glóin the Dark said:

That's a pretty severe standard to judge a film by!

It's a different way of saying "Here today, gone tomorrow". 

Or "Forgettable".

Or "Fails to make a deep impression".

13 minutes ago, AC1 said:

It's a different way of saying "Here today, gone tomorrow".

For that you should have said "Not something you will be carrying with you for the rest of the week".

As for Emily the Criminal, I'd put it somewhere in between. (Hoping that there is an in between...)

• 2 weeks later...

The_Menu_%282022_film%29.jpg

Since 2019, we had the release of numerous thrillers/black comedies whose point was to mainly ridicule one-percenters, showing how much of pathetic parasites they are and educating the audience on the evils of capitalism: Joker, Parasite, Triangle of Sadness, Glass Onion, and now this movie, whose satire of rich people who are supposedly fine arts-loving but are actually mostly morons is not exactly deep or original, but still very entertaining.

The acting is great, especially Ralph Fiennes as a demanding chef who is actually a much creepier character. Thanks to him, the black comedy shines. Colin Stetson's score (or what I could hear of it amidst the noises of the airplane) was very effective.

Ralph Fiennes was great in the movie, and I really liked Anya Taylor Joy's whole arc

Nicholas Hoult was funny, that guy is really good

27 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ralph Fiennes was great in the movie, and I really liked Anya Taylor Joy's whole arc

Nicholas Hoult was funny, that guy is really good

Need to watch The Menu. For another great Nicholas Hoult role I highly recommend The Great about Catherine the Great (which is both hilarious and gruesome). Fun fact, we sat behind Sebastian da Souza who plays Leo on The Great a few weeks ago. We were too lame to ask for an autograph.