What do you think of the Harry Potter soundtrack?

ItPott

Is the Harry Potter BSO the best BSO in recent history? Leaving aside personal tastes for one saga or another and from a totally objective point of view, in what position would you put the Harry Potter BSO?

I am interested in knowing because I have a website specialized in Harry Potter questionnaires (You can see it here) and I wanted to know opinions about where you would put this BSO compared to other BSOs of different sagas.

All the best

BSO....I'm guessing that's Spanish for Banda Sonora Originale (i.e. OST) rather than Boston Symphony Orchestra. :D

Harry Potter is fine. I'm not as connected to the films and scores as many others here, and I have zero nostalgic relationship them as I was well into my 20s when they came out, but the third score is a masterpiece. And the films are entertaining enough even for an adult.

Even though the LalaLand Boxset for John Williams' Harry Potter scores is wonderful, I think, hardly anything beats the puplications of the Lord of the Rings scores. Lovely OSTs, also as deluxe edition in a nice digipack, including documentary DVD, a complete recording edition with the whole program in audio DVD as well, and I am not getting started about the artwork and documentation.

Even though there is a lot out there for Star Wars still I would say, LotR has so far the best soundtrack puplications overall for a saga.

Harry Potter is probably second, If you take into account, that I am basically only interested in the Williams scores.

It's hard for me to determien how important nostalgia is when it comes to Potter.

I hated most of JW's scores in my teens and before that (was born in 1993). Barely noticed the music when we owned 1 and 2 on VHS, did think 3 was composed by somebody else.

I LOVED GOF when it came out, the score changed my life.

Then I broadened my horizons, first fell in love With Zimmer and then fell in love with JW's music.

I used to love HP3, but largely due to LLL's wonderful and unbeatable set, I now regard HP1 as a masterpiece, one of a kind. We'll see what happens when LLL does 4. And as Holko already said, the OSTs are a mess. 1 wastes time on the children’s suite, 2 misses set pieces and 3 completely misrepresents the score because it’s all about the dark stuff.

5-8... I never liked Yates, though his DH movies have grown on me. Hooper's music was fine for me, now it's bland. Desplat has always been pretty good.

As for LoTR... I used to think they were incredible works of art, then I discovered all the underscore is basically random chords.