James Horner's 48 HRS. (1982) - NEW! 2022 Intrada Records

Jay

My favorite Horner score! I'll be double-dipping, but just going by the description, it's unclear if the old elements were newly transferred at a higher bit rate, or if new elements were transferred...or if it will finally include the film version of "Subway Station" :(

5 hours ago, Stark said:

Ah, maybe closer to Patriot Games from a quick sampling.

With respect to Jay, the samples come from the  muffled-sounding bootleg, not the first Intrada release. Here are some alternatives:

Looking forward to checking out the clips.

Thanks guys!😁

On 03/01/2022 at 1:02 PM, Corellian2019 said:

. will it will finally include the film version of "Subway Station" :(

Appears to be the case😊

Roger says

INTRADA Announces:

48 HRS.
Composed and Conducted by James Horner
Songs by The Busboys
INTRADA ISC 472

To coincide with the premiere release of the expanded James Horner score for Another 48 HRS., Intrada presents a reissue of its earlier release to Horner's score to 48 HRS. The soundtrack to the 1982 Paramount film featured one of Horner’s most sought-after works until it was premiered by Intrada in 2011. Although the film is sparingly spotted, when Horner does enter the fray it is with broad, bold strokes that anchor the action and emotions—especially for the unquiet atmosphere of the mean streets and back alleys of San Francisco. While Horner uses a large orchestra, complemented by extra percussion and keyboards, he does not use trumpets and French horns, leaving only trombones and tuba to carry the weight of the brass. In addition, he keeps them in their lower registers and has them almost exclusively playing in unison or octaves. The resulting low brass timbre is thick, dark-edged and punchy throughout. It's an eclectic ensemble—a progressive fusion of funk-tinged jazz and orchestral elements. The many-layered theme, as first heard in “Main Title,” immediately lays down a gritty urban tone using bass guitar and scattered percussion, with subtle accents provided by piano, harmonica and electronics.

James Horner contributed just under a half hour of orchestral scoring. The other primary musical ingredient in the picture was a quartet of original songs performed by The BusBoys. For their work on 48 Hrs., James Horner and The BusBoys jointly won the “Best Music/Score” award from the Los Angeles Film Critics Association. It is therefore fitting that the songs appear alongside the score on this release. For this new release, Intrada rebuilt the program using newly transferred high-resolution elements from Paramount, discovering one extra track and a few alternates along the way. This new master punches up the detail of the recording and allows for more prominence of the signature sax sound. One note -- the track "The Walden Hotel" on the original release repeated an insert recorded for the cue. For this release that duplication has been removed and astute listeners may note the track runs slightly shorter due to its appropriate omission.

48 Hrs. stars Nick Nolte as the gravel-voiced, rough-edged San Francisco cop Jack Cates; and Eddie Murphy as streetwise con Reggie Hammond, whose link to an escaped cop-killer inspires Cates to spring him from the pen for a 48-hour manhunt. Naturally, the pair dislikes and mistrusts one another, and their verbal and physical back-and-forth—even as a fraternal bond slowly forms—supplies the brunt of the story’s appeal.

INTRADA ISC 472
Retail Price: $19.99
Barcode: 720258547200
SHIPS WEEK OF 1/18
For track listing and sound samples, please visit https://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.12528/.f

Doug says

James Horner
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 472
Film Date: 1982
Album Date: 2021
Time: 58:45
Tracks: 18
Price: $19.99

Starts Shipping 01/18/2022

Remastered reissue of iconic 1980’s action score! Hit film brought super-stardom to Eddie Murphy as convict released from prison for 48 hours to assist detective Nick Nolte in pursuit of violent criminals James Remar, Sonny Landham. Frank McRae, Annette O’Toole also feature. Walter Hill directs, Roger Spottiswood scripts with Hill & Larry Gross and Steven E.  

De Souza, Paramount Pictures presents tough action picture with comic touches in 1982. James Horner introduces dynamic action vernacular that became one of his signatures: Solid rhythmic foundation, pulsating tempo, unison low tuba and trombone writing in octaves without harmony offering powerful weight to the action. Also adding to the musical proceedings are four punchy original songs by The BusBoys, including signature end title, “(The Boys Are) Back In Town”. Music remained unreleased, with audience demand being high, until Intrada premiered it in 2011.

New 2022 release is presented from all-new hi-res transfers of original Dan Wallin stereo mixes, offering superior audio. New master elements also allow for premiere of Horner’s never-before-heard and unused, leaner take on the familiar “Main Title” which removes descending electronics, emphasizes clarity in rhythmic activity. Also premiering are a handful of additional score alternates plus session keyboardist Ralph Grierson’s “Saratoga Blues” source cue. Finally, one editorial “pick-up” made by Horner and recorded at the scoring sessions was accidentally duplicated with “The Walden Hotel” cue on the 2011 release - this music is now correctly presented.

Slightly revised packaging by Kay Marshall adds impact. Orchestrations by Greig McRitchie, James Horner composes, conducts. Intrada Special Collection CD available while quantities and interest remain!

TRACK LIST

01. Main Title (5:13)
02. Jack Leaves Elaine’s Apartment (1:09)
03. The Walden Hotel (3:29)
04. Aerobics (4:11)
05. Snippets/Heavy Traffic (3:10)
06. Subway Station (2:54)
07. Subway Chase (1:51)
08. Luther’s Bus (1:57)
09. The Alley (5:27)
10. (The Boys Are) Back In Town (The BusBoys) (2:35)
11. 48 HRS. (The BusBoys) (3:13)
12. Love Songs Are For Crazies (The BusBoys) (3:44)
13. New Shoes (The BusBoys) (3:32)
14. Main Title (Alternate) (5:12)
15. Subway Station (Alternate) (2:55)
16. Luther’s Bus (Alternate) (1:57)
17. Torchy’s Boogie (Ira Newborn) (2:54)
18. Saratoga Blues (Ralph Grierson) (2:30)

media.nl?id=38348&c=ACCT67745&h=d5QGlNW_

media.nl?id=38349&c=ACCT67745&h=jd_w4Ppu

I am confused about something after seeing the track list, and Roger's write-up, Doug's write-up, and Jean-Baptiste's review don't answer it:

Why is "Subway Station" 5 1/2 minutes long on the old album, but 3 minutes long in either appearance on this album?

I first assumed that the old album simply combined what is now "Snippets/Heavy Traffic" and "Subway Station" together to form "Subway Station" on the old album, and that "Saratoga Blues" is the "one extra track" that Roger mentions.  If that's the case, everything makes sense.

However, Jean-Baptiste's review specifically says "Snippets/Heavy Traffic" is a new track.  Is he wrong?  Because if he is correct, I do not understand the new timing of that track.

33 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

Yes, I made a mistake. Thank you for pointing it out. I wrote the part on 48 HRS. too fast.

Ah OK that explains everything then

33 minutes ago, Jean-Baptiste Martin said:

Snippets/Heavy Traffic (3:10) + Subway Station (2:54) = the track from the 2011 edition entitled Subway Station

No, the 2011 track was Snippets/Heavy Traffic (3:10) + Subway Station (Alternate) (2:55)!

Wait, really?  They put the film version in the bonus track section, and the wrong take they accidentally grabbed back in 2011 into the new main program?  Are you positive about that?

If you're right, then that means you were right the first time when you said the old track was Snippets/Heavy Traffic (3:10) + Subway Station (2:54), because the 2011 album did not contain the version heard in the film.

M11 Main Title
M13 Jack Leaves Elaine’s Apartment
M21/22 The Walden Hotel
M61 Wild Salsa (Aerobics)
M71 Heavy Traffic (Snippets / Heavy Traffic)
M81 Subway Station
M82 Subway Chase
M90 (piano improv -  'Saratoga Blues')
M101 Luther’s Bus
M111 The Alley

I think he started his career titling everything, stopped at some point in the 80s, but then started titling everything again sometime in the 90s

10 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

I'm racking my brains trying to think of what cue M12, or 1m2, represents in the film--maybe it was something Horner wrote but never recorded

There is no M12 / 1M2. 

14 hours ago, Jay said:

I think he started his career titling everything, stopped at some point in the 80s, but then started titling everything again sometime in the 90s

The titles weren't generated by him, they're mostly just basic scene titles made for the spotting notes. They find their way onto the cue sheets, and then either the album titles will be cleaned / neatened up versions of those, or they'll be entirely different and more poetic / dramatic / punny. 

Received my package yesterday! :) I intend to fully dive into the musical contents and savor the alternate cues later this week, but just from the samples I've heard, this looks like a fantastic release and the definitive presentation of this score. It's also great to finally have the film version of "Subway Station" and, as a bonus, the Ralph Grierson piece (which I tried to identify on Shazam numerous times but without luck)

Don't see a lot of people commenting about this set, but I still wanted to note some new discoveries I made. The biggest one is that "Subway Station" as heard in the film is actually an edit of two versions! Both of them included on the set, naturally. And "Aerobics" on this set ends without fading out, compared to the earlier edition.

There is one factual error in the booklet, though: it says that this edition was derived from the original mixes by Shawn Murphy. But according to IMDB, Dan Wallin was the score mixer for this film; Murphy mixed the sequel.

Factual error aside, this is a great set, and I'm happy to have it :)

Oof, that's an unfortunate error to make.

And that's interesting about Subway Station! 

What are your thoughts on the new alternates of the Main Title and Luther's Bus? 

"Subway Station" is just one of Horner's very best cues, IMO.

It's funny; "Luther's Bus (Alternate)" is actually the version we've heard all along on the bootleg and the first Intrada CD, with the prominent sax in the latter half of the cue. "Luther's Bus", included in the main program of the new CD, dials down the sax and is closer to the film mix. Both this cue and "The Alley" have been in my head this whole weekend.

The alternate for "Main Title" sounds more like a rehearsal than a true alternate: the timing is sloppy, and the performances are not as robust as the final version. In both versions, though, you can now hear a faint click track for 3 seconds, starting at 4:04, before it launches into the steel drums

Interesting, I'll probably put the Luthers Bus Alternate in my main program then, I like all the sax work in this score!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I like all the sax work in this score!

Me too! I never understood why it got a bad rap among some listeners, or why some praised the sax playing in Sneakers (which I've never heard or seen) over this

15 minutes ago, Corellian2019 said:

Sneakers (which I've never heard or seen)

Sneakers is a wonderful score. If you like Apollo 13, Bicentennial Man and A Beautiful Mind, you'll like Sneakers too.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

So roughly which parts of each Subway Station version does the film use?

The film uses the first 1:46 of "Subway Station (Alternate)", and 1:47-end of "Subway Station"

Interesting... Thanks for that! 

A different producer would have recreated that performance edit for the main program, and then combined the opposite segments for the bonus track. 

But there's merit to hearing each full take, too. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone on JWFan besides Corellian have any thoughts on this release?  I haven't found the time to open mine yet.