Does classical composer John Adams hate John Williams?

Aliandra

I just noticed this. In that concert work, "Must the Devil Have All the Good Tunes?", Adams draws inspiration from Henry Mancini's Peter Gunn, which of course Williams was the original pianist for back in the day.

Why do I have the feeling that the "devil" that Adams refers to, is John Williams. That that classical pianist will show Williams a thing or two about playing the piano.

Am I reading too much into this, or could Adams be such a John Williams hater?

I doubt it too.  Remember Adams grew up in the 60's where tunes were very much out of fashion compared to the avant garde.  His musical style was a rejection of the academic trends of his time plus his early influences were pop and jazz.  His dad was a jazz musician and Adams started as a clarinetist in local school bands and community orchestras where he had a love of the 60's pop and jazz.  I really, really don't think he has anything negative to say about Williams since he's also seen as a populist hack in classical elitist world because his music is very popular and tuneful.  

When I first saw the John Adams title I immediately thought of Charlie Daniels’ “The Devil Went Down to Georgia” where the Devil’s music was obviously cooler :lol:

This gossip should be beneath the likes of this forum. Very unhealthy way of thinking of these people.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/1/2022 at 8:39 PM, bruce marshall said:

No, but he hated Thomas Jefferson

It would be more correct to say their relationship was complicated.

22 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Except for Brian Eno, apparently, and J.K. Rowling.

Eno doesn't hate Williams. He just doesn't understand why a super talented and successful film composer as Williams refuses to take artistic risks. And he has a point! 

1 hour ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Wait what did I miss, JK Rowling talked shit?

It's a common theory among JW fans that Rowling didn't like Williams' HP scores and prevented him from scoring the final movies. I don't know how true this is, but we have a whole thread debating the issue:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34097-jk-rowling-didnt-like-jw-because-the-music-didnt-sound-english-enough-fact-or-fiction/&do=findComment&comment=1831336

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Eno doesn't hate Williams. He just doesn't understand why a super talented and successful film composer as Williams refuses to take artistic risks. And he has a point! 

Well, he did score Stepmom.

20 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's a common theory among JW fans that Rowling didn't like Williams' HP scores and prevented him from scoring the final movies. I don't know how true this is, but we have a whole thread debating the issue:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34097-jk-rowling-didnt-like-jw-because-the-music-didnt-sound-english-enough-fact-or-fiction/&do=findComment&comment=1831336

We need less theory and speculation, more fact.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Okay so based on literally nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

John Williams, a CIS white male.

Composer In Slacks?

The original post wasn't just based on nothing, but seems to be the reasoning of the truly insane paranoid personality.  I'd even argue it's :lock2:worthy

On 28/01/2022 at 9:26 AM, AC1 said:

He takes risks in his concert works, which rarely get discussed in the mainstream eye.