Does classical composer John Adams hate John Williams?

Aliandra

I just noticed this. In that concert work, "Must the Devil Have All the Good Tunes?", Adams draws inspiration from Henry Mancini's Peter Gunn, which of course Williams was the original pianist for back in the day.

Why do I have the feeling that the "devil" that Adams refers to, is John Williams. That that classical pianist will show Williams a thing or two about playing the piano.

Am I reading too much into this, or could Adams be such a John Williams hater?

I doubt it too.  Remember Adams grew up in the 60's where tunes were very much out of fashion compared to the avant garde.  His musical style was a rejection of the academic trends of his time plus his early influences were pop and jazz.  His dad was a jazz musician and Adams started as a clarinetist in local school bands and community orchestras where he had a love of the 60's pop and jazz.  I really, really don't think he has anything negative to say about Williams since he's also seen as a populist hack in classical elitist world because his music is very popular and tuneful.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/01/2022 at 9:05 AM, Glóin the Dark said:

I dunno - to me it looks as though John Adams was just about to slap John Williams in that photograph, before noticing that there was a camera on him.

0:13

↓

adamswilliams.jpg

22 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Except for Brian Eno, apparently, and J.K. Rowling.

Eno doesn't hate Williams. He just doesn't understand why a super talented and successful film composer as Williams refuses to take artistic risks. And he has a point! 

1 hour ago, Lord Zimmer said:

Wait what did I miss, JK Rowling talked shit?

It's a common theory among JW fans that Rowling didn't like Williams' HP scores and prevented him from scoring the final movies. I don't know how true this is, but we have a whole thread debating the issue:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34097-jk-rowling-didnt-like-jw-because-the-music-didnt-sound-english-enough-fact-or-fiction/&do=findComment&comment=1831336

1 hour ago, AC1 said:

Eno doesn't hate Williams. He just doesn't understand why a super talented and successful film composer as Williams refuses to take artistic risks. And he has a point! 

Well, he did score Stepmom.

20 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

It's a common theory among JW fans that Rowling didn't like Williams' HP scores and prevented him from scoring the final movies. I don't know how true this is, but we have a whole thread debating the issue:

https://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/34097-jk-rowling-didnt-like-jw-because-the-music-didnt-sound-english-enough-fact-or-fiction/&do=findComment&comment=1831336

We need less theory and speculation, more fact.

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Okay so based on literally nothing. 

On 28/01/2022 at 9:26 AM, AC1 said:

He takes risks in his concert works, which rarely get discussed in the mainstream eye.

• 10 months later...

Interesting thoughts from classical composer John Adams on film music from a recent interview.

Interviewer: But if you hear, say, that Hans Zimmer did the soundtrack to Dune, are you excited, you’ll go see it and hear it, or it’s a peripheral interest for you?

John Adams: I'm almost always very frustrated by the low level of inspiration in film composing. I think that film composers market themselves and basically give directors what they want. And a lot of the taste that even the greatest directors—people like Steven Spielberg—have is just very sentimental and, to me, rather tacky, which is why most of the film score music I like comes from France or Italy, not America.

https://conversationswithtyler.com/episodes/john-adams/

20 hours ago, Aliandra said:

Interesting thoughts from classical composer John Adams on film music from a recent interview.

Interviewer: But if you hear, say, that Hans Zimmer did the soundtrack to Dune, are you excited, you’ll go see it and hear it, or it’s a peripheral interest for you?

John Adams: I'm almost always very frustrated by the low level of inspiration in film composing. I think that film composers market themselves and basically give directors what they want. And a lot of the taste that even the greatest directors—people like Steven Spielberg—have is just very sentimental and, to me, rather tacky, which is why most of the film score music I like comes from France or Italy, not America.

These days now, a lot of films don’t even have a composer. They have a music consultant. You’ll get a film, let’s say a Coen brothers film, which would be a great film, but the music comes from all different sources, maybe three or four different pop artists or whatever.

https://conversationswithtyler.com/episodes/john-adams/

I don't see where John Adams criticizes John Williams. He talks about film composers in general and he criticizes the taste of directors like Steven Spielberg. I understand that John Williams has a friendly relationship with John Adams, I think he has said in an interview that he enjoys the music of Mr. Adams. 

With that said I don't agree with Mr. Adams' take at all. What he says: "I think that film composers market themselves and basically give directors what they want." is basically what a film composer is required to do, it's their job, to do what the director wants, because it's the director's film that the composer has to serve. 

Yes, I don't see it as a criticism of JW, and especially not of his abilities as a composer. It's a personal criticism on the standard Hollywood style of film music, and the specific standard tropes that are often requested of composers. Not too surprising coming from a composer who himself has a very specific voice that's rather distinct from most of the stuff Hollywood producers and directors request. (In that context, I'd be interested in what he thinks of Don Davis and his Matrix scores).

Interesting though that his comment doesn't comment on the question's specific example of Hans Zimmer and his Dune score, which arguably falls outside the traditional Hollywood score sound, but at the same time doesn't strike me as musically very interesting or accomplished.

20 hours ago, JTW said:

With that said I don't agree with Mr. Adams' take at all. What he says: "I think that film composers market themselves and basically give directors what they want." is basically what a film composer is required to do, it's their job, to do what the director wants, because it's the director's film that the composer has to serve. 

True, but it's also understandable that a composer of concert music who doesn't have a specific personal interest in film music would find that modus operandi quite limiting. Especially now that almost all of the classically trained film composer (who brought their training to Hollywood and thus shaped the sound and style of the typical film scores, and at a time when music was still a more prominent aspect of a film and not contending with sound effects for space) are gone and many of those working today have in fact grown up with a certain standard sound (rather than shaping that sound and combining it with their own style based on their non-film music training) and often have, at least in the blockbuster area, very little room for innovation or a distinct voice of their own.

Film music from France and Italy can be just as -if not more (!)- sentimental as American film music.

I think Adams just doesn't get the concept of film music, or film in general for that matter. 

So, according to Adams, Hollywood film music is bad because composers give what their directors want. Using that logic, does he think that French and Italian music are better because their composers... do not give what their directors want? So they go in a completely different direction? :mellow:

I've seen quite a few French/Italian movies, and that doesn't seem to be truth at all.