Favorite Rambo Score?

Disco Stu

Favorite Rambo Score?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite Goldsmith score for a Rambo movie?

• First Blood
    • Rambo: First Blood Part II
    • Rambo III

All are great, the first is probably the better score, but two has amazing action material and my personal favorite is part III, with its new themes (just think Jerry should have used his Russian theme from II on this one), and it is the one I listen more.

24 minutes ago, danbeck said:

All are great, the first is probably the better score, but two has amazing action material and my personal favorite is part III, with its new themes (just think Jerry should have used his Russian theme from II on this one), and it is the one I listen more.

This is how I feel too. Alas the third score really is let down by an inferior performance compared to the first two, but it’s so good I still love listening to it anyway.

Yavar

I voted First Blood because I think it's the best "sit down and listen with full attention beginning to end" experience of the three.  Like the second film probably has the greatest highlights of all three, but the first works the best of the three as its own musical narrative.  I actually think it benefits from being by far the shortest of the three.

To be clear, all three are classics.

Obviously the first one. It's on a whole other ambitious level. Great film too, about a whole nation's PTSD, after Vietnam -- a film that has been both embraced and analyzed by academia. The best thing about the score is not the action music, but the soulful "It's A Long Road" theme -- that trumpet solo that not only connotes Rambo's loneliness and "forgotten war veteran" position, but also perfectly mirrors the chilly autumn landscape in the film.

2 and 3 are loads of fun, but far more streamlined (despite having that cold war vibe, esp. 3). I actually thought the 2008 RAMBO was really good -- a subversive film that comments violence through it's own orgy in it. LAST BLOOD was decent, but didn't have its predecessor's edge. I can't really remember much of Tyler's scores other than the JG references.

12 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm actually surprised by the results so far.  I thought for sure the 2nd would be the consensus pick.

I'm not. The first score has always been the most "respected" in the series, I think. And it's a fine score, hardly an action score but much more on the serious side (like the film), whereas the sequel score is *the* quintessential action score. It would be a total mismatch for the first film, and I have no interest in the second film, but musically, it's Goldsmith at the very top of his game in one of my favourites of his modes/styles.

On 05/01/2022 at 12:48 PM, Disco Stu said:

I'm actually surprised by the results so far.  I thought for sure the 2nd would be the consensus pick.

I'm good with these results personally. But really this is a musical trilogy just like The Omen, where I've got no beef at all with anyone declaring any one of the three scores as their favorite. There's a great case to be made for each of them.

Yavar

As much as I love action, the first score is probably the best. #3 is a lot of fun too, but I find #2 to be the peak of Goldsmith synths not working. I am also someone fond of Tyler’s score for the fourth film... not so for Last Blood.

I have no problem with the ostensibly flawed performance of Rambo III (ever heard Lionheart?), however, the flat and volatile recording quality of Rambo: First Blood Part II is a real misfortune to the score. Add to that the clicking on some tracks of the 2016 Intrada release and voilà: a score that is much better than the enjoyment I get out of it implies.