Roger Feigelson announces a Williams title is coming from Intrada in 2022

Jay

14 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

I think we are getting SPACE CAMP.or TIBET

Both scores where I am really fine with the OSTs. So, this would be rather a disappointment for me.

And yes, Spacecamp is fine, but I bought that album twice already. Once on LP, once on CD. Is this a score worth buying three times? Especially, when there are just 4 minutes of unpublished music? Probably not for me. 

On the other hand, an edition of Spacecamp without Training Montage would be a huge improvement.

Heh. I just looked Training Montage up on YouTube. As soon as I heard the drums I could see people having problems.

OTOH anyone who loves this track (and it is pretty cool) needs to quiet down about Ladies First on Goldeneye. :)

11 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

As long as it's ONE DISC, DAMMITT!😝

Why is the duration of Furtwängler's Beethoven 9 some sort of definitive length limit for every single film music album for you?

Just read a quote from John Williams in Emilio Audissino's book: "If I write a 100-minute score, there may be 20 minutes extracted and played. The other 80 minutes is functional accompaniment, that could never stand on its own and was never intended to."

I disagree passionately in his case, but still I don't care about all those missing two minute cues.

Seven Years in Tibet would be great as the original album is oddly muddy sounding - it's all middle and not much else (a bit like the old TLW album). Any of the Oliver Stones would indeed be good, although I'd go for JFK over the others as, again, the sound isn't great.

2 hours ago, Tom Guernsey said:

Seven Years in Tibet would be great as the original album is oddly muddy sounding - it's all middle and not much else

…and horribly exaggerated ultra-deep end (typical for Murphy recordings from that time). So much that the droning double basses drown out almost everything else in the title track. I'd probably listen to it much more frequently if that were rectified.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

…and horribly exaggerated ultra-deep end (typical for Murphy recordings from that time). So much that the droning double basses drown out almost everything else in the title track. I'd probably listen to it much more frequently if that were rectified.

I was quite disappointed at how it sounded when I gave it a listen recently so hopefully any expansion would at least rectify this. I can't say I'm desperate for more music from this score, it feels like one of those perfectly proportioned albums. I mean, I'll buy it whatever, obviously lol

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I can't hear what's so bad here. So the bass is audible, but I don't find it dominating.

I don't have quite the same issue as Marian but it's definitely a bit middle dominant, there's no air around the instruments. The orchestration is somewhat mid-range which doesn't help but it definitely felt a bit muffled to me when I gave it a listen through my headphones the other day. Not fatal, but a remaster would probably reveal some extra detail.

41 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I can't hear what's so bad here. So the bass is audible, but I don't find it dominating.

No matter on which of my two amps I play it, or whether I listen via speakers or headphones, the bass always sounds like it's maxed out to just the point before it would distort. Like you'd run the CD through a cheap passive subwoofer and maxed out the bass EQ.

It is certainly muddy, even on my monitor speakers, which are usually crisp as fuck in the higher frequencies. The bass is dominant, maybe too dominant, but I cannot hear the kind of near distortion that Marian describes.

Fan-made bootlegs that combine OST albums with FYC albums show up on ebay, and are all over the internet in general, all the time.  Not sure why you saw one and thought you should post a phone screen grab of the auction in an Intrada thread

I would hope for THE PATRIOT. It would be ideal for a 4th of July release. But since labels have no control over the approvals these days so it could land anytime. 

On 12/01/2022 at 10:23 PM, Brundlefly said:

It is certainly muddy, even on my monitor speakers, which are usually crisp as fuck in the higher frequencies. The bass is dominant, maybe too dominant, but I cannot hear the kind of near distortion that Marian describes.

You may be right, but you're using monitor speakers to determine the quality of a track? :blink: