What is your favorite Quidditch cue from the HP movies?

Edmilson

JW's Quidditch music  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite Quidditch cue from the Williams-scored HP movies?

• "The Quidditch Match" from The Philosopher's Stone
    • "Quidditch, Second Year" from The Chamber of Secrets
    • "Quidditch, Third Year" from The Prisoner of Azkaban

The Quidditch scenes inspired some of the best action music Williams wrote in the 2000s. Which one is your favorite?

And yeah, I know the cue for CoS is controversial for a lot of reasons, but... At least it contains a great performance of the HP1 Quidditch music and the Zam motif from AOTC by the LSO, right?

Woah.

I went to vote and realized... I don't know my answer!  All three are so great, in different ways....

I must ponder on it

I voted 2, but it's really difficult. 1 is probably the more... well-rounded one with a clear opening and closing celebration, the middle being reserved for the match and danger material. But 2 is most definitely the best performed cue. 3, not a chance in hell it would ever win.

Ah this one's easy - the first one.

#2 has a great second half, but recycled, and together with the reused first half, really doesn't make the cut.

#3... basically agree with bollemanneke. It's a nice cue, but up there with the greats? No way.

First movie easily for me. I enjoy the others, but Chamber of Secrets is just the first movie again with a little extra, and a little taken out so I don't exactly enjoy it more, and the third movie's music is good, but doesn't have the intricate and iconic thematic work of the previous two. 

It's a hard choice as well. 

The first one is a classic, the second one has a great amalgam of Attack of the Clones and HP1 music, and the third is more dark and ominous. I think I'll vote for the second because no one voted for it yet it's better and more energic than the Zam music from Ep II.

I love the Azkaban one, but due to nostalgic magic and my supercharged enthusiasm for film music at the time HP1 came out, I had to vote for the 1st. 

Deeply difficult choice. I'll vote for the first one...but POA gives it quite a run for its money. Very different scene with very different score, but it's still the sort of thing you won't hear from any other contemporary film composers. It's got a very accessible groove to it, yet it features some pretty advanced writing. I could easily vote for that one without feeling guilty about it. It's fantastic.

The COS Quidditch cues are highly derivative and highly enjoyable otherwise. Makes them hard to compare.

Azkaban, easy choice, PS is great but always felt a little retrained, CoS reuses too much from PS and AOTC, not in a bad way but nothing that's inspiring. PoA is everything that I'm looking for in an action cue, the fast pace, dark overtones, huge buildup and uneasy finish give me goosebumps everytime. I've only seen the PoA film once, but listened to the score several times and this one cue is easily my favourite.

They're all good for different reasons, 2 wasn't on the OST, right? 3 had the most energy out of all of them, but as for the whole package, 1 is still the best. That's the case with most things about the first three movies. The first doesn't have the highs as some of the later movies but is the best in that it's the most well rounded and less stupid stuff.