John Powell - Don’t Worry Darling (2022)

Jay

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2022/01/06/john-powell-scoring-olivia-wildes-dont-worry-darling/

John Powell (How to Train Your Dragon, The Bourne Identity, Happy Feet, Solo: A Star Wars Story, Bolt, United 93, Face/Off, Chicken Run) has recently been scoring the upcoming psychological thriller Don’t Worry Darling. The film is directed by Olivia Wilde (Booksmart) and stars Florence Pugh, Harry Styles, Chris Pine, KiKi Layne, Gemma Chan, Chris Pine, Nick Kroll and Wilde herself. The movie revolves around a 1950s housewife living with her husband in a utopian experimental community who begins to worry that his glamorous company may be hiding disturbing secrets. Katie Silberman (Set It Up, Isn’t It Romantic) wrote the screenplay based on an earlier version by Shane & Carey Van Dyke (The Silence, Chernobyl Diaries). Wilde & Silberman are also producing the New Line Cinema production with Roy Lee (It, The Lego Batman Movie). Don’t Worry Darling is set to be released in theaters nationwide on September 23, 2022 by Warner Bros. Pictures.

10 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

John Powell posted this sneak peek to his Instagram! 

Read the post 6 posts before yours

Well that’s interesting!

Out of nowhere collaborator choice too, Olivia Wilde. I wonder what made her choose Powell (and vice versa) and where she got the referral from 😄 

The premise of the movie itself is rather “been there done that”

and the sample is really similar to James Newton Howard’s Raya

But still excited nonetheless (Why it has to be September though 😭)

30 minutes ago, PrayodiBA said:

Out of nowhere collaborator choice too, Olivia Wilde. I wonder what made her choose Powell (and vice versa) and where she got the referral from 😄 

The producer of Don't Worry Darling, Roy Lee, was a co-producer on all three HTTYD films

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

The producer of the film, Roy Lee, was a co-producer on all three HTTYD films

I was just on IMDB trying to find some kind of connection - thanks!

17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I will admit, I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping he'd get an action blockbuster or animation that would allow him to write another epic, expansive orchestral score.

I'm the complete opposite. I'm sick and tired of those films and scores, and am very pleased to hear that he's doing a straight-up thriller film, at last. No blockbuster shenanigans, no big and pompous stuff -- a chance to do something lean and mean. But we'll see how it turns out in the end.

17 hours ago, Edmilson said:

I will admit, I'm a little disappointed. I was hoping he'd get an action blockbuster or animation that would allow him to write another epic, expansive orchestral score.

I started writing pretty much the same comment, and then I saw yours haha.

I mean, it could be interesting nonetheless, but I really ain't a fan of Powell's more "serious-adult-like" scores such as the actions ones like Bourne or the romantic comedies like P.S. I Love You, etc. 😕

At least this one seems more intense and original with those voices and scary effects and synths. 

But I really can't wait for his return to fantastical or animated movie style :wub:

I mean...at least the clips from this new score (which JP is yet to confirm are actually from this) are interesting. Very different from anything he's done before. The kind of thing I was hoping for? No. Any good? Too little to tell. But different.

Another clip:
https://www.instagram.com/tv/CYcI2C9BUy_/

I need to reserve my judgement for this, based on that new clip above.

I assume Powell would tease only unimportant and minor parts, because the release is still long way to go.

But if I have to be honest, leaving aside that JP is scoring this, the music in that clip sounds like a mainstream, dissonant, thriller sound that any composer could do. 

------

But back to the first released clip with the chanting,

First I thought it sounds like JNH's Raya, but how could I forget that it's more similar to Powell's very own Enyfs Nest motif from Solo.

But outside from Powell, the clip also bears resemblance to Michael Abels's Us anthem (and if I remember correctly, in some interview/podcast, asked about favourite movie score at that time, Powell mentioned Abels. So I guess he's also inspired by that. But I could be wrong though)

Yea I'm sure he's choosing clips that really tell us nothing about the overall score.

The teases are fun though!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea I'm sure he's choosing clips that really tell us nothing about the overall score.

The teases are fun though!

Yess, enough to merit him "He tries something new and fresh"

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I think it's pretty clear the clip he posted is from this score. What else would it be? 

Would be nice if the DWD press release was just coincidence and the clips were for a second score!

Well. At least he is no longer locked on animation. That's refreshing - even if this new gig is not the sort of picture that calls for music he tends to excel at.

I am still curious why he hasn't yet picked up a gig at Pixar though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yea here's exactly what he said

Coming Soon! 🎶
In a rate treat, 1:30 till the end has some original music from the film featuring vocals by Holly Sedillos, minus the trailer string rises 😊

https://www.facebook.com/johnpowellmusic/posts/pfbid0vFZAgLsHHNM3gYLKhrnzoHkYUXKT79tbePChKHJUA4Ebj3xPjvkSTwjFaJTkvoJGl

That is one weird looking film indeed.

Even more so for the resume of a composer who's spent the bulk of his career scoring cartoons.

It is good to hear the man's percussive-trademark in the mix nevertheless. It's been a while.

6 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

Even more so for the resume of a composer who's spent the bulk of his career scoring cartoons.

Wait, has he actually scored more animated films than live-action films?