John Powell - Don’t Worry Darling (2022)

Jay

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wait, has he actually scored more animated films than live-action films?

Nah. Rough count, using his Wikipedia filmography, 22 out of 62 films are animated. So about a third, which must still be an enormously high proportion in the business.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was hearing about what a dumpster fire every aspect of this movie has been so far...then I remembered it was the film Powell was working on. 

How is everything such a disaster production wise but they managed to hire such a good composer? 

Powell shared on his Instagram that artwork & tracklist for Don't Worry Darling will be released this friday.

I'm very curious what kind of score this will be. We know he did something with vocals but will it be more orchestral or more synths. I'm hoping it will be like a Golden Age orchestral thriller with some cool romantic pieces and weird vocal stuff.

It's been 2.5 years since the last "proper" Powell score!  I respect that he wanted to scale back his film work, but it's interesting to compare Powell in his late 50s to Williams in his late 50s, when the latter was leading the Boston Pops, writing concertos, and writing scores like Last Crusade, Always, Presumed Innocent, Home Alone, Hook, etc.

(yes, obviously, covid is a mitigating circumstance here)

Nice album length. And his albums from the past decade or so have always been structured really well from a musical narrative standpoint. A big climactic 8 minute cue near the end? I’m curious as to what that could sound like for an oddball film like this. I’m excited for a strange and wonderful new score from Powell! 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

It's been 2.5 years since the last "proper" Powell score!  I respect that he wanted to scale back his film work, but it's interesting to compare Powell in his late 50s to Williams in his late 50s, when the latter was leading the Boston Pops, writing concertos, and writing scores like Last Crusade, Always, Presumed Innocent, Home Alone, Hook, etc.

(yes, obviously, covid is a mitigating circumstance here)

He has an upcoming opera as well.

First clip

Sounds like there's some Powell score mixed on top of the source music in the first 45 seconds.

Then it's a Powell cue from 0:45-end -- "Dinner Party Fallout" presumably

I've heard some people talk about the score.

There isn't a lot of orchestra it seems and quite a lot of sound design (in a Powell way) with the (weird) vocals.

I'm still really excited to hear this and explore it for what it is. But I'm sort of glad I know it's not an orchestral score like the ones he's done for the past few years

14 hours ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I'm still really excited to hear this and explore it for what it is. But I'm sort of glad I know it's not an orchestral score like the ones he's done for the past few years

Yeah, going into this expecting a typical busy, colourful, melodic Powell score would (I imagine) lead to lots of disappointment.

I hope that for as weird as it sounds as though it's going to be, at very least is interesting to listen to. I hope it's not just weird and intolerable.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

Indiewire gave it the same

https://www.indiewire.com/2022/09/dont-worry-darling-movie-review-olivia-wilde-1234756185/

You might say that critics are spitting in the lap of this film.

Sample is up:

https://music.apple.com/nz/album/dont-worry-darling-score-from-the-original-motion/1643016429

Judging by those clips, it's different indeed.

Powell-fan, don't expect much 😁

It's hard to find the usual Powell-ism in those clips, except for that 8 minute action track in the end, yum! 

Can't wait to hear it!

Victory Chase is amazing!

It's like Bourne and Solo combined into one.

I miss this kind of sound of Powell, that's why I smiled all the way through when I first heard of this track

Sadly, personally, I think that's the only real highlight of the soundtrack :(

But hey, that kind of predicament is not something new from Powell's score, where only one track rises way above from the rest

(like The Greateest Tragedy from Stop-Loss, and The End from United 93)

This score relies heavily on texture and motif, there is no "main" theme (that's the disappointing thing for me)

It's not really my cup of tea. 

That's my thought on first listen.

I think that could change on second.

I just listened to the big 8 minute Victory Chase cue.

I was not impressed, sadly.  It was weird.

But of course, perhaps it will get a whole light in context of the whole album and/or the film, and future listens will be new illumination to it.

Just listened to the OST album.  I liked it!

If you put to the side any hopes or dreams you might have for a new John Powell score and just listen and receive it for what it is, it's a damn fine horror / thriller score with some interesting vocal and synth work.  The album flows well and keeps your interest for its less than an hour run time.  I dig it, though it won't be something I listen to all that frequently.

I listened to that 8 minute track on a whim today and it still did nothing for me

Mildly curious about the movie but its at 38% on rotten tomatoes

I've listened to the album once last friday. Only thing I remember are the vocals.

I'm seeing the film tomorrow evening and will revisit the score after to see how it is as a listening experience then

7 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

I've listened to the album once last friday. Only thing I remember are the vocals.

I'm seeing the film tomorrow evening and will revisit the score after to see how it is as a listening experience then

I get the feeling this is probably best experienced in the film but I can’t say I’m desperate to see that either…

3 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

I get the feeling this is probably best experienced in the film but I can’t say I’m desperate to see that either…

There's actually only 2 reasons for me to watch this.

To hear Powell's score in context.

And for Florence Pugh. I'm a massive fan of hers from the start of her career. I think she's incredibly talented, one of the best actors of her generation, and I'll watch anything she's in.