Marco Beltrami's SCREAM scores - NEW 6-CD Box set 2022

Jay

Great news to all SCREAM fans. Love the films and the scores myself -- what I call "delicious darkness", but I'm not generally a fan of horror scores. That's why the original 30-minute Varese CD from the 90s is all I ever need. Well, that and Elfman's "Cassandra's Aria", which I own independently anyway.

I don't think I've heard a note of Beltrami's Scream music. I do like some horror scores, but I get the feeling that this franchise isn't one of those.

And could swear I read somewere that he didn't want one of them released due to a lack of time to write it.

1 minute ago, Richard Penna said:

I don't think I've heard a note of Beltrami's Scream music. I do like some horror scores, but I get the feeling that this franchise isn't one of those.

And could swear I read somewere that he didn't want one of them released due to a lack of time to write it.

The great thing about them, as a non-horror music fan, is that he rather nurtures the romantic and melodic for long stretches. Much like Young's HELLRAISER. That makes them more listenable. But not to infinity. That's why the ol' Varese CD of 1 and 2 pretty much perfectly captures the essence of it before it starts to grate. I could probably add a few more minutes from the material on these sets, but not too much.

Them wacky Brazilians! ;)

It's known as SKRIK over here -- a literal translation of SCREAM. Which makes sense, since it's the name of the Munch painting that the mask is molded on. These films always have that extra connection to us Norwegians.

Outside of the recent Fear Street movies, Scream is my favorite Beltrami score.  I think I’ll pick this up, despite already having the first two movies’ DEs.  The rest is just too tempting, and while I know Varese enough to assume they’ll break out the other two releases, I’d rather not be wrong about this one.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Outside of the recent Fear Street movies, Scream is my favorite Beltrami score.  I think I’ll pick this up, despite already having the first two movies’ DEs.  The rest is just too tempting, and while I know Varese enough to assume they’ll break out the other two releases, I’d rather not be wrong about this one.

Even if Varese eventually sells this Scream 3 and Scream 4 expansion as separate releases, the bonus material on disc 6 will probably remain exclusive to here

1 hour ago, Alan said:

Surprised to see that the entire boxset is already on Tidal!

This is a day-and-date release on CD, vinyl, and all digital music sellers/streamers.  You can read more here.  

Also, this: https://found.ee/screamboxset

Not a horror score fan myself either. But seeing box sets designed so lovingly like these peak my interest. And the fact that they also have them available digitally is pretty cool. I might just jump into these.

PS- The new film is getting a surprising amount of positive buzz. 

The first three SCREAM scores are tremendous. The second and third in particular are my favorites due to some inventive electronics, huge fantastically recorded  orchestras, and some wild orchestrations. 

The original Varese release of a CD with music from Scream 1 and 2 contained a track called A Cruel World. Does anyone know what track on the new release that is?

3 hours ago, pete said:

The original Varese release of a CD with music from Scream 1 and 2 contained a track called A Cruel World. Does anyone know what track on the new release that is?

That's disc 1, track 12 called Bathroom.

Certainly can’t be because they got bored of the series and don’t have much else to say musically.

Not that Beltrami ever had much to say beyond being a poor man’s Christopher Young.

For the vinyl edition, the discs are inside the mask, not sure if the CD edition is the same or not

Can’t decide whether the mask or the Freddy sweater from Varese’s NOES box is more useless.  I guess these marketing tools are for a specific demographic and just aren’t For Us!

I just decided to use the old OST covers for now until I find some nice custom ones. Took me a while to organise the scores into chronological order but it's sorted now. Not sure what to do with the two unused cues from from film three. For now, thry will remain in the bonus section. 

Listened to the first one last night and currently going through the second one. Jump in budget and quality is quite noticeable. The first score is quite harsh whereas the second one is really listenable. Never quite noticed that while watching the films. 

Might try to recreate the LP programmes at some point. 

Looking forward to watching the fifth movie on Friday night. 

Karol

I always thought Beltrami’s Scream lost a little bit of its charm after the first, but this will be the first time I ever visit these scores back-to-back (-to-back-to-back) so maybe I’ll appreciate that budget jump a little more this time.

Anyone who’s a Scream Head or generally pays attention to the score vs. the album know whether any of the disc 5 stuff is actually unreleased film versions (maybe left off of the DEs to fit them to one disc)?  Or is it all alternates?

Do you mean Disc 6 stuff? 

If so, some of them are cues left off the 1 & 2 DEs. The chronological order of where to stick them was already posted in the thread. Here it is again:

https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/search/label/Scream Saga

Thanks Jay.  I just scrolled to the top of this thread and reread every post twice, but I don’t see that (or any discussion of the bonus disc tracks) above.  Even checked for muted members, but none!

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Thanks Jay.  I just scrolled to the top of this thread and reread every post twice, but I don’t see that (or any discussion of the bonus disc tracks) above.  Even checked for muted members, but none!

My apologies - it wasn't this thread, it was posted in the Chronological Film Score Thread, here.

Now it's in both places!

The mask for me highlights a problem in general with box sets, that all the stuff inside the box is rarely seen. As already said, this appeals to a sort of collector, and like you guys, I'm not that sort either.

I put a much higher priority on having well-designed cover art which displays when I play a track on my computer.

About to finish my first listen of the third score. It doesn't flow as nicely as the second one but there's certainly enough good stuff in there to create a condensed version.  The development and maturatiom of Sidney's theme is very nice. 

Karol