The Greatest Musics 😂 of John Williams - Film Studio Orchestra

https://www.discogs.com/master/1276259-The-Film-Studio-Orchestra-The-Greatest-Musics-of-John-Williams-Star-Wars-Born-on-the-Fourth-of-July

Not sure if this re-recorded compilation has ever been discussed here, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a real orchestra or one of those synths things? 

I'm intrigued by the inclusion of rarities (in terms of re-recordings) such as Jaws 2 and Stanley & Iris.

IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

32 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

This is from the late 80s/early 90s, right? Because the tracklist contains JW's classics from the 1980s up until Born on the Fourth of July, but no Hook or Jurassic Park.

image.png

I love that they have Born On The Fourth Of July on the cover.

Not really a theme to manifest itself in the public conscience as far as I know and so arbitrary in the context of the cover art.

It was probably his most recent score at the time the music was recorded and the cover art was designed

Yes, for sure, but still it’s a weird choice by the art director.

It might have been a more selling argument to put four titles instead of two on the cover, and then maybe include Superman and Indiana Jones… as it is now, does it really ”say” anything at all?

Did really a great number of people (I mean in the general public) see BOT4J and think “Wow! I find myself humming the theme over and over, I better get my myself a copy of the soundtrack”? (as they might’ve with aforementioned titles or with E.T. or Jaws).

Apart from us here on JWfan, that is. 😉

Had it (if memory serves, for less then £3 from a Welsh supermarket!), long since disposed of.

The performances were ropey at best, and many sounded like synth recreations to me. Even at the time (very early in my JW fandom), it struck me as a very peculiar track list.

Mark

Not only is this the most horrible performance in my Williams collection (the Richard Hayman Philharmonic Rock Orchestra album on Naxos, second worst, at least has some charm and is quite unintentionally funny at times - the finale of the Raiders March comes to mind) but it is also the *only* CD of my collection of more or less a thousand that is rotting away (literally rust, must be a faulty pressing); I call this good luck. :-D

Over the years I've come to appreciate these compilations with odd performances. They offer something different than the classic concert versions.

I like this c.d. especially Jaws 2  performance.

Of course the "worst" have to be Orlando Pops c.d.'s with Andrew Lane but even that has a few useful tracks like orchestral When Your Alone

19 hours ago, Martinland said:

the Richard Hayman Philharmonic Rock Orchestra album on Naxos, second worst, at least has some charm and is quite unintentionally funny at times - the finale of the Raiders March comes to mind)

Agreed. That Raiders March with the prominent xylophone in the final statement of the theme is delightfully silly

😂

15 hours ago, rough cut said:

Hey! The Richard Hayman Philharmonic Rock Orchestra album has a good version of “The Accidental Tourist (Love Theme)” on it!

I listened to that Accidental Tourist track again and it's actually really nice. The Jaws suite is also not bad, it's just a pity the album producers decided to overlay the sound of waves washing onto the shore over the start of the track. Doesn't the Olympic Fanfare and Theme also have a small bridge missing from somewhere in the middle?

16 hours ago, King Mark said:

Of course the "worst" have to be Orlando Pops c.d.'s with Andrew Lane but even that has a few useful tracks like orchestral When Your Alone

Actually, that is a masterpiece compared to some of those cheeseball synth compilations from the 90s. There was one from "StarTracks" or "Pickwick", for example, that would fit the bill (can't remember the title).

I remember this "Musics" compilation that is the topic of the thread, but never owned it or sampled it.

This were mostly recordings already available on previous releases plus some of the most recent scores (Stanley and Iris, Born on the 4th of July). At least a number of them were recorded in Japan.

As for the actual disc, it's also one of the very few (out of over 3300) showing signs of degradation.

On 10/01/2022 at 10:53 PM, rough cut said:

Hey! The Richard Hayman Philharmonic Rock Orchestra album has a good version of “The Accidental Tourist (Love Theme)” on it!

Thanks for reminding me - this was my main reason for buying the album, because that score was unavailable at the time. ;)