Love MASADA and QBVII? LEIGH PHILLIPS Kickstarting NEW Goldsmith premiere!

Yavar Moradi

• 3 months later...

The lack of interest/responses here (where I thought there were a lot of Goldsmith fans) is rather surprising to me (thanks though, Jay, for always “liking” these posts). But nevertheless this Kickstarter is now over 91% funded in about half a week’s time!

Yavar

18 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Thanks for reminding us. Contributed now, of course.

16 hours ago, eitam said:

Backed too, it can't hurt to have more Jerry Goldsmith music 

7 hours ago, fommes said:

Don't confuse lack of response with lack of contribution. ;)

Well, it wasn't exactly encouraging that nobody here (besides Jay) seemed to care. But I'm happy to be wrong! Thanks to all of you (and others), this reached its funding goal at some point last night! That's less than four days since it launched... now, for a stretch goal! The Goldsmith Odyssey put out a fun little PSA yesterday evening, and near the end of it we have a cue Leigh mocked up from Jerry's General Electric Theater score "Sarah's Laughter" (from 1959). This is essentially a lost episode (at least I haven't been able to find it anywhere after years of searching; even in a library archive I can't access). I don't think anyone has heard this music in over 60 years. But what I was able to find (and access!) was the original written music by Jerry, held in the CBS collection at the UCLA library. So Leigh did a mock-up from the written music, and we have included the full cue in this as a preview at the end:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/10523814-golden-opportunities-create-a-goldsmith-filled-future-on-kickstarter

b49cbe86cb411762753e730c58953bb88ad958a9

7 hours ago, fommes said:

Great project, hope that similar Williams projects will be possible, well at least in the long run, too.

Funny you should bring that up, because Williams actually did write a number of scores for this series as well... but Williams is still with us (thank goodness) and I'm not sure he would approve, considering he nixed releases of his original recordings of The Rare Breed and Story of a Woman, which are later feature film scores he himself conducted.

Thor had a thread at FSM about Williams's GE Theater scores:

https://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=93880&forumID=1&archive=0

I know Williams did at least one Playhouse 90 as well (Goldsmith did a bunch in 1959 and 1960; I think Williams did one in 1958.)

Yavar

@Jay @Marian Schedenig @eitam @fommes and anyone else watching this space -- it's STRETCH GOAL TIME! If you want to get a SECOND Goldsmith score for General Electric Theater recorded (this time a lovely Americana score for a lost episode called "Sarah's Laughter", which survived in written form only), head back to Kickstarter and increase your pledge by a few more dollars!

More details from Leigh, along with instructions on how to navigate Kickstarter's stretch goal system:

As promised, and seeing that we've over 20 days left on this project, it's worth running this modest Stretch Goal to try and turn a 2-hr session into a 4-hr session, and to record two scores instead of just one!! From a logistic (and financial) perspective, the beautiful "Sarah's Laughter" is the most convenient episode to capture on this occasion, as the required players will already be in attendance. A rough demo of one cue from this score can be sampled over at The Goldsmith Odyssey Podcast (it's very likely that this is the first time the music has been heard since 1960!)

Including this particular score in our recording session will bring the project total to £3600. However, as we've already hit the £3050 point(!), this leaves us just £550 to raise before May 25.

"Add-on" buttons have been activated at each tier and these can be used to select the new "Sarah's Laughter" option; of course, you can simply revise your initial contribution by £3 (or more, if you feel like pushing the project further toward its goal). Kickstarter's way of revising pledges this is somewhat counter-intuitive, so our pal from The Goldsmith Odyssey, W. David Lichty, has created this nifty how to graphic to illustrate the steps you need to take:

52045091943_17cde47c18_o.png

Thanks, David; and thank you, everyone, for your continued support!!

Please do take the time to read the text accompanying this "add-on" option, as there are caveats listed for certain scenarios (particularly for those who may have already contributed over, and above, the amounts of their respective reward tiers)

Yavar

I think it's a very good effort, Yavar, and I'm a bit envious that you've all managed to scrap it together (envious as in I would have loved the same for Williams' scores). Best of luck!

43 minutes ago, Thor said:

I think it's a very good effort, Yavar, and I'm a bit envious that you've all managed to scrap it together (envious as in I would have loved the same for Williams' scores). Best of luck!

Thanks, Thor! Maybe at some point in the future the same can be done for the Williams scores. (I would be a backer for them!) First you've got to find as many of them as possible! It honestly has taken me years to even find just three Goldsmith-scored GE Theaters (one a two-parter, and one -- Bar Mitzvah -- we could only find in audio form for a lot of money). Then I recently discovered a way to access five more Goldsmith scores for the series which apparently only survive in written form. That was tough, too, but luckily Leigh is onboard with tackling those as well. If all nine get done it will be a nice generous disc worth of varied material...

Yavar

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone who's still somehow on the fence about supporting this (for so little money!), Leigh has just provided a third and final enticing sample of the "Sarah's Laughter" score, music Jerry Goldsmith wrote for the series in late 1959 (the episode aired January 3, 1960, two days after his first Twilight Zone) which apparently only survives in written form today:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/129592672/the-bar-mitzvah-of-major-orlovsky-jerry-goldsmith/posts/3514151

The cue is titled "Birthday Present", and it's a nice little gift for us to receive as the campaign is nearing its (very successful) end!

Yavar

• 1 month later...

I was really pleased to back this project, and the music turned out great. I put in for both short scores, and again, I could not be happier. Communication was also quite good along the way.

I hope this the first of many such ventures.

Thanks so much @lairdo for the positive feedback – I passed it on to Leigh! It certainly looks like it will be the first of (hopefully) many, assuming the continue to be as successful as the first campaign was.

For anyone interested, this has also been getting a lot of positive feedback on the FSM board thread...

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=147544&forumID=1&archive=0&pageID=3&r=978#bottom

Martin B.:

Have listened to it through several times today since receiving it. Lovely but all too brief - you find that you get swept away and it's all over all too soon.

A wonderful recording of a fantastic performance. Looking forward both to the next score in a few days and hopefully further kickstarters for more.

Terrific and highly recommended.

chriss:

I'm enjoying it very much. The performance is simply outstanding!

SchiffyM (x3):

Just listened. What a great release! Terrific music, wonderful performance and recording.

I love these modest television scores, which to me often feel like they quietly persuade more effectively than some of their larger, more bombastic cousins (which, of course, I can love, too).

I'll be listening to this a lot!

Upon another listen… this is really lovely, heartfelt stuff from Goldsmith. That's interesting, because as the notes point out, he wasn't religious, and also because much as some romanticize the Golden Age of Television, this episode is pretty ridiculous and not at all (you'll excuse the term) faithful to the beliefs it depicts (for instance, it is not remotely "highly unusual" for somebody to be bar mitzvah as an adult). But Goldsmith's sincerity shines through, despite the hollow goings-on that he's scoring.

(That said, he created heartfelt scores for people of many faiths and ethnicities that he was not, so I'm probably guilty of making a bad association here.)

Having listened to both scores several times, I would just like to reiterate how delighted I am by these recordings and by this ongoing project. I'm so glad that in our little community, there are enough like-minded among us that such a thing is possible.

Joe Sikoryak:

Just downloaded both re-recordings and they are everything I hoped and more—sensitively played, impeccably produced and frankly a revelation as far as early Goldsmith is concerned. I'm in for the long haul!

Basil Wrathbone:

Listening now. Excellent work!

Saul Pincus:

Magnificent recording, spot-on performance, fantastic choice of music.

From a consumer's perspective, this feels like we just placed an order for takeout Goldsmith and it arrived piping hot and even tastier than anticipated.

Can I place another order?

simon377:

Enjoying Bar Mitzvah, wonderful recording. I also stuffed up supporting the stretch goal, but am fine with waiting for the general release for Sarah's Laughter.

Great liner notes Yavar.

moolik:

Fantastic!

mark.bagby.19

[Sarah's Laughter] is great. Might be my preferred of the two…especially the jaunty cue of Baby Book/Caught in the Act.

Amazing how "big" JG could make these very small ensembles sound.

So if you aren't sure about these admittedly-obscure Goldsmith works, check out that podcast episode linked above and give the samples a shot. You’ll likely feel renewed impetus to pick these up when they're given wide download release in a few weeks...

Yavar

• 3 months later...

The follow up campaign for another two Jerry Goldsmith GE Theater scores has only been live for an hour or two, and it’s already over a third of the way funded!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lpfilmmusic/record-jerry-goldsmith-at-the-ge-theater-volumes-3-and-4

I can’t wait to hear the whole “Hitler’s Secret” score in particular, based on the tense sample Leigh has already mocked up… Jerry Goldsmith scoring ol’ Adolf almost two decades before The Boys from Brazil!

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...

Almost halfway through the campaign (just over 15 days remaining) and despite reaching its goal after little more than a couple days in, it's continued to get backers and now stands at over 117%!

If you haven't jumped in yet for only 6 pounds (just over 7 US dollars), you should! It's essentially a pre-order at this point, for two Goldsmith TV score premieres in complete form.

Yavar

• 2 weeks later...

At 138% with only 33 hours remaining… last call to pre-order two Goldsmith premieres for only £6!

Leigh Phillips wrote the following at FSM:

Work will commence on the score reconstructions on Jan 2, in order to get everything ready for the session on Jan 30 (after backers have received their copies it will be 2-3 months before the scores have a more "general" release)

Enjoy the rest of the holidays, and have a happy and healthy new year!

http://kck.st/3UflbgP

Also worth highlighting that, unlike some other worthy film music Kickstarters, early crowdfunding backers essentially get a 25% off price break compared with the eventual general release… £6 for two scores rather than £4 for each individual release later (which is still a great price for Goldsmith scores in lossless CD quality, to be sure):
https://www.lpfilmmusic.co.uk/shop

Yavar

That’s the eventual hope…I talked Leigh into it early on, but it’s only practical after all the GE Theater scores that are going to be recorded, are recorded… there are currently 8-9 that can potentially be done.

Yavar

5 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

8-9 in total, or in addition to those that have already been kickstarted?

In total — fortunately the perfect number to fill up one CD! It is very likely that Goldsmith wrote even more scores for the series because he told Jon Burlingame that he actually started work on the series in the mid 50s when it was broadcast live… but since a lot of it is not extant (or at least, easily accessible) we have little way of knowing/confirming. Thanks to my friend Jon I know a recording date for one more score not included in that number, but we’ve been unable to find either the episode or the written music for it.

If you’re curious, here’s the full list of what The Goldsmith Odyssey has managed to access and provide to Leigh so far:

In video (or in the case of “Bar Mitzvah”, only audio) form

1. “The Legend Who Walks Like a Man” (season 9 episode 20)

2. ”My Dark Days Part 1 — Prelude” (season 10 episode 25)

3. ”My Dark Days Part 2 — Aftermath”

(season 10 episode 26)
4. “The Bar Mitzvah of Major Orlovsky” (season 10 episode 28)

In written form

5. “Hitler’s Secret” (season 8 episode 3)

6. ”The Last Dance” (season 8 episode 10)

7. “Sarah’s Laughter” (season 8 episode 16)

8. ”The Committeeman” (season 8 episode 18)

9. “Mister Doc” (aired as season 10 episode 30, but was actually filmed and scored as an independent pilot episode for a potential series the previous year)

”Mister Doc” does also survive in video form for viewing in person by the public, at the Paley Center for Media, but they don’t give remote digital access so one of us (or ideally Leigh) would have to visit in person to be able to actually hear the music… for that reason I’m inclined to save it for last or perhaps even pair it with other unreleased Goldsmith western scores down the line, since it also wasn’t even a part of GE Theater when he actually worked on the project. That’s why I say “8-9” (it’s 7-8 if you count the “My Dark Days” two-parter as one score).

Yavar

Well I’m pretty sure a CD will happen after all the scores have been recorded; you’ll just have to wait an extra year or so I suspect. Your loss until then, I guess… they are still all in lossless CD quality, with a PDF of extensive liner notes*. Everything but the plastic!

*In fact, when the CD edition comes out I suspect my liner notes will have to be abbreviated somehow. Based on how much I wrote for the first two episodic scores (10 minutes each), the final physical booklet for the 78(?) minute CD would probably be an impossible-to-fit 40+ pages lol…

Anyways, the campaign just ended 43.6% over goal. Huzzah!

Yavar

• 3 months later...

Now that "Hitler's Secret" and "The Legend That Walks Like a Man" have been out for backers for several days, has anyone here given them a listen yet? (And has anyone read the liner notes? :)) Would love to know what you think, if so.

Personally "Hitler's Secret" was something of a revelation to me, a thrilling and intense 10 minute listen which sounds much bigger than it is. What I've done is re-order all four scores in the order that Goldsmith wrote them, and made a 37+ minute album in iTunes for myself, like so:

image.png

It plays really well as an album, and I can't wait to expand it further with the remaining scores Leigh's going to tackle for the series later this year! Oh, we also did a Production Report episode of The Goldsmith Odyssey for anyone interested to listen (there are a lot of sound clips if you weren't a backer on this Kickstarter round, in advance of you being able to purchase these scores for lossless download in a month or two):

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/12559309-production-report-the-legend-that-walks-like-a-man-hitler-s-secret-2023-leigh-phillips-recording

b49cbe86cb411762753e730c58953bb88ad958a9

Curious to know what people think of that podcast episode, too!

Yavar

I've listened to it, but haven't yet read the liner notes. To be perfectly honest, these scores don't hold that much interest for me at this point. They're interesting glimpses into Goldsmith's early works, certainly, and fine music, but with any composer, and particularly one as prolific as Goldsmith, there comes a point - when you know enough of their output - when things that are perfectly fine on their own remind me of enough other stuff I'm familiar with that they tend to blend in as more of the same. I'll try to keep revisiting them though. And I was surprised when The Legend That Walks Like a Man reminded me quite a bit of Fierce Creatures, a score that I long thought as occupying a rather singular place in Goldsmith's output. Even more fascinating to learn that he sort of picked up a style he had used before, but decades earlier.

• 1 month later...
On 14/04/2023 at 1:38 PM, Marian Schedenig said:

I've listened to it, but haven't yet read the liner notes.

Ever get around to them?

To be perfectly honest, these scores don't hold that much interest for me at this point. They're interesting glimpses into Goldsmith's early works, certainly, and fine music, but with any composer, and particularly one as prolific as Goldsmith, there comes a point - when you know enough of their output - when things that are perfectly fine on their own remind me of enough other stuff I'm familiar with that they tend to blend in as more of the same. I'll try to keep revisiting them though.

I'm curious if you've had a chance to keep revisiting these short chamber scores, and whether they've improved for you at all. To me they don't "blend in as more of the same" at all, because of their chamber music intimacy. "The Bar Mitzvah of Major Orlovsky" bears a lot of fingerprints in common with Masada and QBVII as I acknowledged in the thread title, of course... and yet, I'm more likely to pop on those 9 minutes to listen to because they are so concise and powerful and concentrated on their own, and also more intimate due to the smaller orchestra. I haven't hear any other Goldsmith score quite like it.

And I guess you'd say "Hitler's Secret" is too close to something like Seven Days in May? But I dunno... Hitler's Secret isn't that much shorter of a score than that but actually feels BEEFIER to me because of the powerful low brass recorded in modern sound. I like it the best I think, of all Goldsmith's percussion-centric scores...

And I was surprised when The Legend That Walks Like a Man reminded me quite a bit of Fierce Creatures, a score that I long thought as occupying a rather singular place in Goldsmith's output. Even more fascinating to learn that he sort of picked up a style he had used before, but decades earlier.

My ears didn't make this connection at all (the clear links to me were to Studs Lonigan before it, and Take Her, She's Mine after it), but it's neat! I do love picking out links between early Goldsmith and late Goldsmith. There are a LOT of them.

--

Anyhow I actually bumped this thread to share the exciting news that Leigh Phillips has scheduled the recording session for Volume 5 in this series (another score that only seems to survive in written form: "The Last Dance"). And because there were extra funds left over from the first two campaigns, he's not doing a Kickstarter campaign for this one! Instead, as a thank you to *all* previous backers (at any level) from the first two campaigns, he is going to do a high quality livestream of the two hour recording session for FREE on Monday, August 21 at 9am EST. (This was only a perk for £100 backers previously.)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lpfilmmusic/the-bar-mitzvah-of-major-orlovsky-jerry-goldsmith/posts/3833091

AND he is also going to extend this invitation as a free perk to backers (at any level) of the current Kickstarter for Jeff Bond's The Jerry Goldsmith Companion book, which has three days left in its campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nightgalleryart/the-jerry-goldsmith-companion

Afterwards he'll make the EP with PDF liner notes available on his website for £4 as usual. I've heard the mockups for this score, and I think it ties with "The Bar Mitzvah of Major Orlovsky" as my favorite of the Goldsmith GE Theater scores I've heard. I can't WAIT to hear it performed by a real orchestra.

Yavar

13 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Anyhow I actually bumped this thread to share the exciting news that Leigh Phillips has scheduled the recording session for Volume 5 in this series (another score that only seems to survive in written form: "The Last Dance"). And because there were extra funds left over from the first two campaigns, he's not doing a Kickstarter campaign for this one! Instead, as a thank you to *all* previous backers (at any level) from the first two campaigns, he is going to do a high quality livestream of the two hour recording session for FREE on Monday, August 21 at 9am EST. (This was only a perk for £100 backers previously.)

Thanks for this more detailed explanation. I got the various Kickstarter mails announcing this, but it wasn't clear to me where these recording sessions were coming from (for a moment I was wondering if I'd missed another Kickstarter campaign). From the wording, it wasn't even quite clear to me that this "invitation to a recording session" was in fact a live stream, although that seemed the only conclusion that made sense.

To answer your questions: No, I haven't yet the liner notes, and I've only listened to each score a couple of times when it came out. I find that I've been on something of a Goldsmith hiatus for the past couple of months; I've only listened to a couple of scores every once in a while. I haven't even explored the long awaited Hollow Man expansion in detail yet. It'll pass and I'll get around to all that, I'm sure.

• 3 months later...

"The Last Dance" digital EP is now available for public purchase now for £4, in lossless CD quality audio with liner notes PDF:

https://www.lpfilmmusic.co.uk/shop-pg3

Our special Production Report podcast episode about recording this score:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/13692226-production-report-the-last-dance-2023-leigh-phillips-recording

For anyone who missed the first four volumes in this series they are available here:

https://www.lpfilmmusic.co.uk/shop

https://www.lpfilmmusic.co.uk/shop-pg2

And Leigh just launched his campaign for the final Volumes 6 & 7 to finish off his Goldsmith GE Theater series ("The Committeeman" and the two parter "My Dark Days" are the last two scores we have access to in some form which Goldsmith wrote for the show... though it's possible there might be more to be found in the future). If this Kickstarter campaign is successful he'll have recorded over 70 minutes of music total, that Goldsmith composed for the series:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lpfilmmusic/record-jerry-goldsmith-at-the-ge-theater-volumes-6-and-7

It's a higher goal (and higher tier costs) than previous campaigns because as a two-parter "My Dark Days" will require a full session of its own (plus a half session for the other score). It'll be a bigger push than the previous two campaigns so I hope some folks here join on!

Yavar

Leigh's third Jerry Goldsmith at The General Electric Theater campaign just surpassed its goal after only one week!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lpfilmmusic/record-jerry-goldsmith-at-the-ge-theater-volumes-6-and-7

Thanks to backer 102 for putting it across the finish line! I wonder how many backers this round will end up with, ultimately... the first round had 154 and the second (because it was done during the holidays, I think) had 132.

Yavar

Figured I'd bump this thread to share the latest campaign update about a STRETCH GOAL -- possible because this achieved funding just so quickly!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lpfilmmusic/record-jerry-goldsmith-at-the-ge-theater-volumes-6-and-7/posts/3937073

There's more explanation at the link, but in short this is to add "Autumn Love", a lovely 9+ minute Goldsmith score which you can hear the original (unreleased on album) recording of here in rather variable, often quite compromised, sound quality:

Just imagine THAT lovely Goldsmith music in a fresh modern recording!

Yavar

An AMAZING update on "The Committeeman" -- someone at FSM has uploaded the no-longer-lost episode itself to YouTube!

This has led to a BIG revelation about the score as recorded, vs. the written sketches... I'll let Leigh Phillips himself explain, in his latest update:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lpfilmmusic/record-jerry-goldsmith-at-the-ge-theater-volumes-6-and-7/posts/3942284

"A Tale of Two Tiples...or something like that...

Hi everyone!

Things have been a little hectic at this end (in no small part due to having only 17 days to orchestrate a 70 min film score!), so I haven't been particularly active on forums or social media etc. However, yesterday, the Goldsmith Odyssey team alerted me to a really interesting post on FSM; it seems that the lost episode footage for The Committeeman is no longer lost! A big "thank you" goes out to the industrious person who uploaded this to YouTube, as it has brought to light a significant feature of the original recording.

It's no secret that, because of the time-pressures associated with film & TV scoring, composers are often making changes to their music on the recording stage; it appears that The Committeeman is no exception to this rule. As mentioned in the campaign video, one unique sonority included in this score is the tiple (which is basically a small, octave-strung, guitar); however, it appears that (for reasons known only to the people present on the recording stage) Goldsmith changed his mind about featuring this instrument so prominently and decided to expand the range of the guitar-like palette. While listening to the episode it's very clear that Goldsmith eventually used a tiple, an acoustic guitar, and a mandolin for his strummed/plucked timbres. While, on the surface, this might not seem like an earth-shattering revelation, it does quite radically alter the overall sound of the final score.

The timely appearance of this episode on YouTube will enable us to produce an even more accurate presentation of Goldsmith's score for The Committeeman.

57ec8de92001715cf05017cf582f4f9a_origina

Guitar - Tiple - Mandolin

We're also getting very close to reaching our stretch goal for adding "Autumn Love" to the recording sessions. There has been a little confusion about the final amount needed, due to Kickstarter displaying regional currencies, but (at present) we're requiring just £296/ $361/ €341 more to enable us to add this extra score (no additional commitment is asked of current backers...the score will simply be included in your rewards)!

Thank you, all, and please keep spreading the word!"

He also replied to a comment with further clarification about the stretch goal:

"The amount we’re trying to hit (to get the additional score) is €6300/ $6672/ or £5487 (at least by today’s exchange rates)"

So LESS THAN $300 to go, for the addition of the beautiful "Autumn Love"!

Yavar