What do you consider to be Williams “darkest” score?

WampaRat

8 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Always thought that cue sounded like Thomas Newman’s “Floor Washing” cue from Oscar and Lucinda. Perhaps a little temp track bled through? 

(Cant seem to find that track on YouTube otherwise I’d post it. But it’s pretty similar- JWs is just a bit slower…)

For me Stepmom is anyway Williams' most Thomas Newman like score.

Images is for sure on the dark side of the scores. But it is rather disturbing than dark.

Anyway, there are basically two ways to look at the question of the darkest score. 

• The score with the darkest sound colours and harmonies.
  • The score than manages best to put you in a dark mood or induce dark images in the listener.

For me these two are basically two different questions addressing different qualities of a score.

7 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

For me these two are basically two different questions addressing different qualities of a score.

The different ideas of what "dark" actually means referring to music makes this thread so challenging, doesn't it.

9 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:
  • The score with the darkest sound colours and harmonies.
  • The score than manages best to put you in a dark mood or induce dark images in the listener.

That's very accurate. I'd say the first point is why I said War of the Worlds and the second point is why I said Presumed Innocent.

40 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Indy 4. It gives me the creeps.

No score containing the Raiders March can qualify for any darkest score top list. Even if you listen to it in complete darkness. 

Damda-damdah! Dam-dadah!

See? No darkness. :znaika:

I think WotW.  The only thing I wish it had was a Barry's Abduction sort of cue because it sort of reminds me of the first half of CEOTTK without the second half but never delving as dark and demented as Barry's Abduction.   Which comes back to why CE is his greatest single score range wise.  Seriously, what other score has the expressive and stylistic range in a single score by ANY composer?  It is like a 14 hour Wagner opera in 70 minutes.  Though other scores might have greater or more memorable melodies or particular emotions (sense of joy), where else do you get this range from mystery, fear, darkness, dreaminess, different type of mystery, awe and wonder in a single score from anyone ever?