John Williams 90th Birthday Gala Concert at The Kennedy Center, Washington DC, June 23rd 2022

Jay

I guess this is the real reason Milan was postponed

(thought I would wager originally this was going to be closer to his birthday then got delayed to June because of Indy 5, so the official explanation of Milan being postponed because of a film recording still holds true)

You can get tickets to the LTP concerts for $29 and the Williams concert for $99

You don't have to get a package deal

2 minutes ago, Tom said:

One assumes by implication that Williams will be there, but the write up seems to go out its way not to say it.  

I noticed this too.  I read the whole thing and was like "So.... is he going to be there or not?"

I'd speculate the plan and intention is for him to be there, but they chose to not specifically indicate as such because between the pandemic and Indy 5 / Fabelmans duties, he might end up having to stay in LA.  

I'm sure if he is there he'll conduct at least the encores

Yeah I would be very surprised if it didn't air on TV, maybe on PBS for the Great Performances series.

Reminds me of the Kennedy Center doing a Copland 80th birthday celebration that did air on PBS

This sounds really cool. However, it's disappointing that JW won't be conducting the majority of the concert (at most it seems he might conduct one or two encores at the end).

When I first saw the announcement an hour ago I was genuinely considering traveling to DC for this. Now I'm doubtful it's worth it, given the minimal conducting of the composer himself. A shame, since the evening otherwise sounds perfect (Spielberg, Yo-Yo Ma, and Mutter?!)

It really is amazing how careful the website is to avoid promising that Williams will actually attend: https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on/john-williams/

If you feel like traveling to the east coast to see Williams, it makes more sense to go to Philly/NYC/Pittsburgh in April, than DC in June.

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yeah I would be very surprised if it didn't air on TV, maybe on PBS for the Great Performances series.

Reminds me of the Kennedy Center doing a Copland 80th birthday celebration that did air on PBS

I think Larry David could pull off a Copland role.  

I've already booked my flight ticket from Milan to Washington DC ;-)

Hm, the Imperial March signed by Stéphane Denève? I think I'll just go for the cocktail reception...

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I think John Williams is too modest to attend such a show without feeling embarrassed.

7 hours ago, pjhackman said:

In this article it mentions he will be the guest of honor.  Also the birthday dinner to big sponsors they will raise a glass to John.  For such big sponsors he'll be there unless something happens.  I'm sure all his scoring duties are being all added to his calendar so it all works out fine.  Since some of these donors will be spending $50,000, he'll be there and I'm sure his schedule is being tweaked to make sure he's there for such big donors.

Also he'll be doing a pre-concert Q&A the following day June 24th for the Jurassic Park concert.  He'll be there unless he's sick or something, god forbid and knock on wood.

https://www.kennedy-center.org/news-room/press-release-landing-page/the-kennedy-center-and-national-symphony-orchestra--announce-the-john-williams-90th-birthday-celebration/

$50,000?

Peanuts!

A toast to absent friends!

:beerchug:

11 hours ago, pjhackman said:

Nice find! 

Are you and Edwin flying out to attend this Peter? 

1 minute ago, MrScratch said:

in April and May, I'm seeing ESB and ROTJ live score concerts!

Where are those happening?

I've seen SW LTP and would love to see TESB and ROTJ too

Got my tickets for the main birthday concert (hopefully Williams will do an encore himself), and the Jurassic Park LTP for the q&a with him beforehand!

So now seeing the maestro in Philly, NYC, Pittsburgh, and DC. Hopefully Tanglewood will happen as usual too!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Where are those happening?

I've seen SW LTP and would love to see TESB and ROTJ too

In Baltimore, where I live.  Those concerts were originally scheduled for 2019 but they were postponed twice, first because of a musicians strike and then again because of covid.  So I have been waiting almost 3 years for those!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why did Baltimore musicians go on strike?

The Baltimore Symphony, Seeking Cuts, Locks Out Its Musicians - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

Their contract was up and they couldn't agree to terms, the BSO was not in good shape financially and they had recently announced they wouldn't perform summer concerts anymore, which the musicians also disputed.

33 minutes ago, rpvee said:

Got my tickets for the main birthday concert (hopefully Williams will do an encore himself), and the Jurassic Park LTP for the q&a with him beforehand!

I am so tempted to go to the JP LTP but I don't think I can swing it... please document all questions asked and answered.

• 4 months later...

I have two tickets for this event but cannot attend. If anyone is interested, I only want to recoup what I paid.

The seats are Orchestra row X, seats 22 & 24

I paid $159 each + ticket charge, total $362.52

If interested, please send me a PM