John Williams 90th Birthday Gala Concert at The Kennedy Center, Washington DC, June 23rd 2022

Jay

Dear Basketball!  Without narration, please!  You're all clear, kid; now let's record and release this thing and go home!

And maybe he's regretting not putting more film themes on A Gathering of Friends.  Not too late for a sequel, Johnny...

31 minutes ago, igger6 said:

Dear Basketball!  Without narration, please!  You're all clear, kid; now let's record and release this thing and go home!

And maybe he's regretting not putting more film themes on A Gathering of Friends.  Not too late for a sequel, Johnny...

My guess is that it the video with Kobe's narration--LTP but really short.  

1 hour ago, igger6 said:

I'd be curious to hear a Williams/Ma/Mutter collaboration album as the third installment of his recent film arrangement albums.

Could The Duel be a new arrangement for Cello? Because that would be terrific!

Now Dear Basketball has been announced I hope even more that this concert will get a release

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

Yes, it's a new arrangement for cello and violin. Mutter said on her Facebook page that she was practicing it during breaks between gigs in the last few weeks.

Oh, wonderful!!

1 hour ago, TownerFan said:

My guess is that Dear Basketball will be performed live to picture, as the program notes are saying clips will be shown during the concerts.

And Granity Studios is specifically listed in the acknowledgments below the program, so…

4 hours ago, TownerFan said:

My guess is that Dear Basketball will be performed live to picture, as the program notes are saying clips will be shown during the concerts.

It's been done LTP before, at the Hollywood Bowl shows in 2017, with Kobe performing live narration. So this is a safe bet (minus the "live" narration, of course...).

Will it be Denève conducting throughout? Hopefully the second half will be conducted by JW himself...

Will the concert be properly recorded (so we get an alternate recording of "Rise of Skywalker")?

The music of John Williams is more than just Hollywood movie scores

The 90-year-old composer is being honored June 23 at the Kennedy Center with a National Symphony Orchestra birthday bash featuring Yo-Yo Ma, Steven Spielberg and Anne-Sophie Mutter

https://www.washingtonpost.com/music/2022/06/17/john-williams-birthday-kennedy-center/

Anyone else think this photo makes Williams look like a pirate?  It was a no-win situation for the PhotoShopper, but still, there are lots of conducting stills out there...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/CLCAEXLZXBEKPN7VZKH6E5VXHM.jpg&w=916

7 hours ago, igger6 said:

Anyone else think this photo makes Williams look like a pirate?  It was a no-win situation for the PhotoShopper, but still, there are lots of conducting stills out there...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-apps/imrs.php?src=https://arc-anglerfish-washpost-prod-washpost.s3.amazonaws.com/public/CLCAEXLZXBEKPN7VZKH6E5VXHM.jpg&w=916

No. It clearly makes him look like Maestro Oma Tres!

Bild

I would not be surprised if a LTP concert featuring JW's music for the 2022/23 season would be announced during this week's JW B'day Celebration-Concerts at the Kennedy-Center.

Right now, the upcoming season's NSO Pops schedule has only 1 LTP concert (Frozen), however the current season had 4 LTP concerts (Up, Black Panther, E.T., and Jurassic Park), so I have no doubt that the new season's schedule is not finalized.  Based on that, I'm thinking that the Kennedy-Center could break the news to the guests of this event that added to the 2022/23 Pops schedule may be the LTP concerts of 'Superman' and/or 'SW:TLJ' (the KC has done the first 4 SW-LTP concerts between September ’18 and March ’19).  An announcement like that would definitely enhance the event.  This way, the audiences at these concerts can buy the tickets with their smartphones right from their aisle seats.

If they don't announce any JW-LTP concert during that event, then they may add either concert possibly during the months leading towards the season opener/or while the season is in progress. The Kennedy Center has added concerts during the latter on more than one occasion. 

• During the 2017/18 season on April ‘18, the Kennedy Center announced the world premiere of the ‘Jurassic World’ LTP concert for May ’18;
  • During the 2021/22 season on January ’22, KC added ‘E.T.’ and ‘JP’ LTPs for June ’22

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

Just dropped some serious dough for a Party Pass after being on the waiting list for tomorrow's concert :unsure: Lord help me

What does that entail? I have a normal ticket but haven’t heard about any kind of upgrades.

1 hour ago, Corellian2019 said:

Just dropped some serious dough for a Party Pass after being on the waiting list for tomorrow's concert :unsure: Lord help me

I'm sure it'll be worth it! 😃

1 hour ago, rpvee said:

What does that entail? I have a normal ticket but haven’t heard about any kind of upgrades.

I was actually hoping to just get a normal ticket on the waitlist, but only Party Passes were available; it's basically admission to the cocktail reception plus the concert