John Williams 90th Birthday Gala Concert at The Kennedy Center, Washington DC, June 23rd 2022

Jay

1 hour ago, Lord Montague said:

Daughter (*1963) and Grand daughter (*1992). No competition, they can coexist. :heart:

For sure! But what does Samantha Winslow think of all this?

I wonder if JW's reaction to Daisy was because he did not know she was there at all. Of course, he knew ASM was performing since that was announced and probably they discussed Markings again. But perhaps he literally had no advanced notion that Daisy was going to be there and sing to him?

What a cool experience this must have been! 

Thanks to all those who posted pictures, helps me imagine it. 

Wow, Daisy attending must have added some extra magic to the night for Mr Williams!

49 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

In my case because I don't think he has written any groundbreaking scores since... I don't even know.

I liked his The Mummy Returns and Tomb Raider.

11 minutes ago, MrScratch said:

Also needs mentioning: The Olympic Fanfare and Theme was a killer performance.  The brass from the Marine Corps band (I think it was…?) joined the orchestra and they absolutely nailed it.  Anyone get a picture of that?

Totally agree!!! It was absolutely stunning!! I think it was the Army Bugle Corps actually(?). 

And the theme from Jurassic Park was a spot-on performance!! No horn flubs that I heard.

Wow, what an insanely cool event!  Thanks to everyone who shared.  I’m blown away. 

D8840482-515E-4DCB-AAFF-43544C5C133D.jpeg

I want to live to 90, and have it look like this photo. :lol:

(Seriously look at Ridley’s smile. That’s confidence! )

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

She looks great.  except for the 80s puffy shoulders 

Sorry, I just had to fix that. ;)

Stunning.

I completely get what Williams sees.  Thank goodness for her and the music she inspired. 

37 minutes ago, Brando said:

That cake is super cool!

i know, right?  I make cakes. Nothing professional, but it’s an occasional  hobby for me, so this is really fun for me to see. 

Wow! This is so awesome! The guests, the events, the performances, and the Maestro himself being honored so gloriously through all of it. This is wonderful.

15 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

It appeared that Oliver Stone’s segment may have been cut short to only wishing John a happy birthday, and did not include him describing their collaboration. 

I felt like it was abbreviated too! I also expected Alfonso Cuarón to be interviewed

@Obi, I think we might have sat next to each other.

By the way, does anyone who attended remember the name of the lady who introduced the Olympic Fanfare & Theme? 

IMG_0584.jpg

6 hours ago, thx99 said:

Totally agree!!! It was absolutely stunning!! I think it was the Army Bugle Corps actually(?). 

OK, yeah whoever they were they blew the roof off the place!

2 hours ago, Corellian2019 said:

I felt like it was abbreviated too! I also expected Alfonso Cuarón to be interviewed

@Obi, I think we might have sat next to each other.

By the way, does anyone who attended remember the name of the lady who introduced the Olympic Fanfare & Theme? 

IMG_0584.jpg

Jackie Joyner-Kersee

Stone is a fan of Putin’s, so maybe they wanted to keep it brief. There was another filmmaker interviewed, but I can’t remember their name. 

This review of the concert reminded me that it was Lawrence Kasdan, and that Mark Hamill also recorded a video to wish him happy birthday.

6 hours ago, Andy said:

i know, right?  I make cakes. Nothing professional, but it’s an occasional  hobby for me, so this is really fun for me to see. 

Its funny, I showed a pic of it to my wife and I asked her if her sister, who bakes like you do, as a hobby, could do that. I'll have to show her that to. Also, a friend of mine who was there said it was chocolate with a pink filling. He also got pictures taken of him and Daisy, and another with Silvestri.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Jackie Joyner-Kersee

She competed in the 1984, 1988, and 1996 Olympics, three out of the four which Williams wrote pieces for, and 1984 was her first Olympics

Couldn’t agree more with your wonderful mini-review, @Eplicon!! The montages were very well done IMO, especially the one featuring pictures/videos of Williams underscored by the Superman March (even had a snippet of Williams “conducting” the final downbeat with footage from the TROS or TFA sessions, as I recall).

And darn it, my wife and I were in row E, seats 10 and 12, just a little bit behind you. Had I known…

On 24/6/2022 at 7:13 PM, MrScratch said:

OK, yeah whoever they were they blew the roof off the place!

Absolutely agree!! My wife even commented on great it was.

Nobody has mentioned Dear Baskettball yet. was it narration free?

How about TROS, was it the same as the OST or a new revised version?