New Jerry Goldsmith Projects in 2022?

Brundlefly

And again, the traditional thread for speculations about future Jerry Goldsmith releases of any kind - expansions, re-releases, re-recordings. So far this year is not as strong as 2021. We already had Looney Tunes by the 18th of January.;)

Releases that happened in 2017:

- Thriller re-recording by Tadlow

- Poltergeist II: The Other Side improved re-release by Intrada

- Papillon expansion by Quartet

- One Little Indian improved re-release by Intrada

- The Haunting expansion by Varese Sarabande

- Damnation Alley expansion by Intrada

- The Russia House expansion by Quartet

Releases that happened in 2018:

- Rambo III improved re-release by Intrada

- Thriller 2 re-recording by Tadlow

- Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend improved re-release by Intrada

- 100 Rifles improved re-release/Rio Conchos re-release by La-La Land

- Small Soldiers expansion by Varese Sarabande

- The Mummy expansion by Intrada

- The Lonely Guy expansion and premiere CD release by Intrada

- The Reincarnation of Peter Proud premiere release by Intrada

Releases that happened in 2019:

- Warning Shot improved re-release/Archer premiere release by La-La Land

- Raggedy Man re-release by Varese Sarabande

- Barnaby Jones premiere release by La-La Land

- Planet of the Apes/Escape from the Planet of the Apes improved re-releases by La-La Land

- Air Force One expansion by Varese Sarabande

The Great Train Robbery improved re-release by Quartet

Releases that happened in 2020:

- The Swarm improved re-release by La-La Land

Morituri improved re-release by Intrada

U.S. Marshals expansion by Varese Sarabande

Take Her, She's Mine premiere release by Intrada

- Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea expansion by La-La Land

- Total Recall re-release by Quartet

The Don Is Dead premiere release by Intrada

- The Last Castle expansion by Intrada

- Von Ryan's Express/The Blue Max re-releases by La-La Land

- The Detective re-release/The Flim-Flam Man expansion by La-La Land

- Inchon improved re-release by Intrada

Releases that happened in 2021:

- Looney Tunes: Back in Action expansion by Varese Sarabande

Face of a Fugitive premiere release by Intrada

Along Came a Spider expansion by Varese Sarabande

- Lionheart expansion by Varese Sarabande

- The Stripper expansion/S*P*Y*S expansion by La-La Land

- Rio Conchos re-recording improved re-release by Intrada

Shamus premiere release by Intrada

- Caboblanco expansion by La-La Land

The Public Eye premiere release by Intrada

Extreme Prejudice expansion by Intrada

The Russia House re-release by Quartet

- Love Field expansion by Varese Sarabande

- Basic Instinct re-release by Quartet

- Ace Eli and Roger of the Skies improved re-release/Tora! Tora! Tora! re-release by La-La Land

- Legend expansion by Music Box

- Masada expansion by Intrada

This year's releases:

- Star Trek: The Motion Picture shortened re-release by La-La Land

- Black Patch/The Man re-recording by Intrada

- The Sand Pebbles improved re-release by Intrada

- Seconds expansion by Quartet

- Matinee expansion by Intrada

- Anna and the King expansion/A Tree Grows in Brooklyn expansion/Room 222 expansion/Prudence and the Chief premiere release/Only in America premiere release/Nick Quarry improved re-release/A Girl Named Sooner improved re-release by La-La Land

- Rudy expansion by Varese Sarabande

- Jerry Goldsmith at the General Electric Theater Volume 1 & 2 premiere release (digital)

- Hollow Man expansion by Intrada

- L.A. Confidential expansion by Varese Sarabande

- The 'Burbs expansion by La-La Land

Potential Releases:

1. Timeline - only OST exists, surefire seller
  2. The 13th Warrior - only OST exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  3. Mulan - only OST and FYC exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  4. 2 Days in the Valley - only posthumous OST exists, moderate seller
  5. Angie - only OST exists, moderate seller
  6. City Hall - only OST exists, good seller
  7. Malice - only OST exists, moderate seller
  8. Six Degrees of Separation - only OST exists, bad seller
  9. The Vanishing - expansion almost complete, moderate seller
  10. Medicine Man - only OST exists, must be licensed out by Disney, surefire seller
  11. Mr. Baseball - only OST exists, bad seller
  12. Mom and Dad Save the World - only OST exists, moderate seller
  13. Not Without My Daughter - expansion almost complete, however: lost elements, bad seller
  14. Leviathan - only OST exists (potential expansion by Quartet), surefire seller
  15. Innerspace - expansion almost complete, surefire seller
  16. Supergirl - expansion almost complete, must be licensed out by Silva, surefire seller
  17. The Final Conflict - expansion almost complete, surefire seller
  18. Damien: Omen II - expansion already complete, surefire seller
  19. MacArthur - only OST exists, surefire seller
  20. Twilight's Last Gleaming - only posthumous OST exists, good seller
  21. The Cassandra Crossing - expansion already complete, good seller
  22. High Velocity - only posthumous OST exists, good seller

Black = only OST exists

Red = expanded, but not complete

Orange = complete, but in exigent need of a reissue or a remaster

Blue = any of those categories, owned in perpetuity by Varese Sarabande

Good catch; I hadn’t noticed it was missing. The Tora half was a straight reissue of course, but Ace Eli was a MASSIVE night-and-day Chris Malone restoration which painstakingly repaired multiple badly damaged cues that made the FSM program virtually unlistenable for me. Everyone who hasn’t listened to our talk with him (complete with plenty of dramatic before/after examples) should do so!

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/9378792-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-goldsmith-at-20th-vol-4-ace-eli-and-rodger-of-the-skies-1973-tora-tora-tora-1970

Yavar

• 2 months later...

Seems like it's high time to update this @Brundlefly -- particularly with the premiere release of Jerry Goldsmith's very first film score, Black Patch (1957), paired with The Man (1972).

Here's an epic 3+ hour Goldsmith Odyssey podcast with the Intrada team who worked on this new Royal Scottish National Orchestra recording, including conductor William Stromberg and reconstructionist Leigh Phillips. For anyone curious about the music we feature extensive sound samples:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/9988703-production-report-black-patch-the-man-2021-intrada-recording

production%20report.jpg

And for anyone who would be excited to SEE the original full Zoom conversation pre-editing (and sadly without any music samples), in a first for The Goldsmith Odyssey we put the raw video up on YouTube:

This is my favorite new Goldsmith recording since the composer himself did an Intrada two-fer of Rio Conchos and The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint with the London Symphony Orchestra back in 1989! Very curious what other people think.

Yavar

• 2 months later...

Isn't it as simple as: Varese did not obtain perpetuity rights to it, like they also did not for Total Recall and Basic Instinct?

3 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

@Yavar Moradi Regarding Matinee: Do you have an explanation for Intrada being able to expand this 90s Varese title?

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Isn't it as simple as: Varese did not obtain perpetuity rights to it, like they also did not for Total Recall and Basic Instinct?

Yup that's exactly it! It was a surprise to me too, but Roger investigated and discovered Varese only had a term license, not a perpetuity one as they seemed to get 90-95% of the time throughout the decade. With Total Recall and Basic Instinct I think it had to do with the studio producing them not granting perpetuity licenses at the time (like how Disney wouldn't grant one to them for McNeely's Iron Will, which is how Intrada was able to expand that a few years ago), but I don't know what the precise explanation is with Matinee (Universal has granted perpetuity licenses on other titles I'm pretty sure).

Yavar

I wonder what would explain such seemingly random variations between contract terms for Goldsmith soundtracks. Whether the lawyer drawing up the contract had their coffee that morning or not? :lol:

You'd just think those things would be somewhat copy/paste given Jerry's ongoing relationship with Varese in that era. 

Pretty sure it’s the studio and their lawyers that matter in this case. That’s why Quartet has done the definitive Total Recall and Basic Instinct — the studio in question didn’t grant Varese perpetuity rights.

Yavar

The studio in question is Universal.

Looking over their list of 1990s films:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Universal_Pictures_films_(1990–1999)

Right away I see Back To The Future 3, which we know Varese has perpetuity rights to. Then I see Death Becomes Her, Mr Baseball, and Army of Darkness, all of which we've always assumed they had perpetuity rights to.... but now that we know they didn't for Matinee, maybe they didn't for these either?

Later in the 90s I don't see many Varese OSTs, so it seems like Universal got better at releasing scores on major labels during that time

• 3 months later...
On 18/01/2022 at 5:46 AM, Brundlefly said:

This year's releases:

- Star Trek: The Motion Picture shortened re-release by La-La Land

- Black Patch/The Man re-recording by Intrada

- The Sand Pebbles improved re-release by Intrada

- Seconds expansion by Quartet

- Matinee expansion by Intrada

Time to add another couple! One of these is mammoth so I'll help:

- Anna and the King expansion / A Tree Grows in Brooklyn expansion / Room 222 expansion / Prudence and the Chief premiere release / Only in America premiere release / Nick Quarry improved re-release / A Girl Named Sooner improved re-release

All in all over 40 minutes of never-before-released Goldsmith music is premiering on this amazing set, the most important release in the Goldsmith at 20th series so far.

Here's our Soundtrack Spotlight episode with extensive sound samples in advance of this going up for ordering later today:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/11302249-odyssey-soundtrack-spotlight-goldsmith-at-20th-vol-5-music-for-television-1968-1975

ab1c92e34c31b71f2c9b4764ea20c07e2ea05db0

Can't wait to hear what people think of this one!

And this one you missed, maybe because only Kickstarter backers have had access to it so far (but it'll be available for download by the general public soon):

The Bar Mitzvah of Major Orlovsky / Sarah's Laughter premiere releases (re-recordings)

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/10957890-production-report-the-bar-mitzvah-of-major-orlovsky-sarah-s-laughter-2022-leigh-phillips-recording

b49cbe86cb411762753e730c58953bb88ad958a9

image.jpeg

image.png

Super proud of The Goldsmith Odyssey's part in helping that new recording happen.

Yavar

• 3 weeks later...

By the way, wouldn't it be nice to have individual cover art for the seven scores recently released by LLL?

Anna and the King expansion -- TWO options for this one! (I personally prefer the first because the second is obviously colorized from B&W.)

image.jpeg

image.png

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn expansion

image.png

Room 222 expansion

image.png

Prudence and the Chief premiere release

image.png

Only in America (aka The Best of Times) premiere release

image.png

Nick Quarry improved re-release

image.png

A Girl Named Sooner improved re-release

image.png

So amazing to have nice individual covers for all of the Goldsmith at 20th series...

Yavar

Blue = any of those categories, owned in perpetuity by Varese Sarabande

L.A. Confidential - only OST exists, surefire seller

Does anybody know if Varese actually does have perpetuity rights to this?  I question because a cut from the score was released before Varese's album, on the song compilation released by Restless Records (Regency). But I don't know if that affects anything or not.

The Vanishing - expansion almost complete, moderate seller

I don't think Varese was granted perpetuity rights to anything in that Fox Box, since other labels have expanded scores in them, notably LLL with their Goldsmith at 20th line.

Why isn't Fierce Creatures (1997) listed?  Is it because - I vaguely recall reading once - the OST album might already be complete?

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why isn't Fierce Creatures (1997) listed?  Is it because - I vaguely recall reading once - the OST album might already be complete?

There's more music on the album than there is in the film. I don't recall if the rumour that Goldsmith wrote extra stuff specifically for the album is correct, and I also don't recall if that implies that everything from the film is on the album.

Not as far as I remember. It's odd in that it's a sequel to Wanda that isn't a sequel. It has the same core cast (Cleese, Curtis, Kline, Palin), but they play different characters and the story has no relation to Wanda, yet it was working-titled Dead Fish Part Two and I think there were one or two references to the first film… it just doesn't make sense. I seem to recall that it had a couple of funny moments involving the animals (probably literally a couple, as in two), but other than that, it wasn't funny but just boring.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Does anybody know if Varese actually does have perpetuity rights to this?  I question because a cut from the score was released before Varese's album, on the song compilation released by Restless Records (Regency). But I don't know if that affects anything or not.

They do have it in perpetuity. As you noted, the song compilation was released earlier and I'm sure there was a deal to include a bit of Goldsmith on that, or maybe Varese's perpetuity deal just came after that album program had already worked out and been done.

3 hours ago, Jay said:

Probably because for years the accepted wisdom (repeated by Robert Townson and others in the know) was that the original album contained the complete score and *then* some. Townson himself relayed that in my lengthy Goldsmith Odyssey interview with him in 2019:

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1301242-odyssey-interviews-robert-townson-part-1

https://goldsmithodyssey.buzzsprout.com/159614/1361503-odyssey-interviews-robert-townson-part-2

BUT I learned since then that though it was TRUE that Goldsmith wrote a decent amount of new material for the album, making extended album versions of film cues (as he did with "Bajo Fuego" substantially expanding an Under Fire action cue for album)... in those cases the actual original film versions of the cues remain unreleased! So there are a decent number of unreleased cues, actually, and plenty of room for a definitive Deluxe Edition of Fierce Creatures IMO, with the original album program as well as the complete score as original written and recorded for the film itself, as a separate program on the CD.

So yeah @Brundlefly should add it to his list (along with pre-1974 stuff, sometime!)

Yavar

P.S. Thanks Brundlefly for adding the GE Theater release!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 18/01/2022 at 11:46 AM, Brundlefly said:
  1. The 'Burbs - expansion missing alternates, surefire seller

BOOM!

image.png

THE ‘BURBS: EXPANDED LIMITED EDITION LLLCD 1615
Music by Jerry Goldsmith

Limited Edition of 1500 Units
RETAIL PRICE: $21.98

ORDERS BEGIN TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 29 2022 AT 12 PM PST

La-La Land Records and Universal Pictures proudly present a remastered and expanded CD re-issue of legendary composer Jerry Goldsmith’s (PLANET OF THE APES, THE OMEN, GREMLINS) original motion picture score to the 1989 big screen cult comedy THE ‘BURBS, starring Tom Hanks, Bruce Dern and Carrie Fisher, and directed by Joe Dante. Continuing an exciting collaboration with filmmaker Joe Dante that launched with TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE and blossomed with GREMLINS, EXPLORERS and INNER SPACE, composer Jerry Goldsmith unleashed another wildly creative and notable score for the director’s hilarious, knowing suburban romp, THE ’BURBS. Goldsmith expertly balances the film’s rambunctious comedy, dark satire, suspense, action - and its heart too - with a bold orchestral work that sounds better than ever in this remastered and expanded presentation.

Produced by Mike Matessino and Neil S. Bulk, the original 2” analog scoring masters featuring Bruce Botnick’s original 3-track mixes have been newly transferred in high-resolution and meticulously edited to match the performances as selected for the film. Mastered by Matessino, this expanded assembly also includes additional bonus tracks and runs more than 16 minutes longer than any previous release. The spirited art design is by Dan Goldwasser and the exclusive, in-depth liner notes are by writer Jeff Bond and include new interview comments from director Joe Dante and film editor Marshall Harvey. This is a limited edition release of 1500 units.

TRACK LISTING:

FILM SCORE PRESENTATION 62:33
1. Night Work (Main Title) 2:39
2. The Window / Home Delivery 2:25
3. The Raven :54
4. Nocturnal Feeders :29
5. Good Neighbors 2:10
6. Let’s Go 2:06
7. Bad Karma :40
8. The Sentinel 3:24
9. My Neighborhood 2:05
10. The Garage 4:27
11. Spare Key 1:19
12. The Note 1:02
13. Devil Worship 1:14
14. The Dream 2:34
15. The Note No. 2 1:30
16. This Is Walter 2:02
17. Snooping Around :50
18. I’m. O.K. 1:04
19. Solid Floors / Ask Him 1:39
20. What’s In The Cellar 1:00
21. The Wig 2:26
22. Hot Wires 2:39
23. Red Rover, Red Rover 1:15
24. No Beer 3:10
25. Home Furnace :51
26. No Lights :42
27. Walter’s Home 2:01
28. Something Is Moving 1:47
29. There’s A Body 1:05
30. My Skull / The Gurney 2:27
31. The Trunk 1:43
32. Pack Your Bags 2:16
33. Square One (End Credits) 4:13

ADDITIONAL MUSIC 15:44

34. The Window (Film Version) :27
35. Nocturnal Feeders (Alternate) :30
36. Let’s Go (Alternate Opening) :44
37. Devil Worship (Film Version) 1:14
38. The Note No. 2 (Film Version) 1:30
39. This Is Walter (Film Version) 2:02
40. This Is Walter (Alternate) 2:01
41. I’m O.K. (Alternate) 1:04
42. No Beer (Film Version) 2:24
43. The Trunk (Film Version) 1:25
44. Pack Your Bags (Film Version) 2:11

TOTAL DISC TIME: 78:22

From producer Neil S. Bulk at FSM:

"Solid Floors" is previously unreleased.
The previous "Home Furnace" was really a short version of "No Beer."
The previous "No Lights" was really "Home Furnace," meaning the actual "No Lights" debuts on this release.
It still hurts my head trying to keep all of this straight.

CAN'T WAIT -- 1500 copies sure doesn't seem likely to last long...

And OH YEAH... Leigh Phillips announced his second Jerry Goldsmith at The General Electric Theater Kickstarter campaign this morning, to record another two scores from that series, and it's already reached 60% funding in about half a day!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lpfilmmusic/record-jerry-goldsmith-at-the-ge-theater-volumes-3-and-4?ref=profile_created

I say this a lot, but it's an amazing time to be a Goldsmith fan!

Yavar

12 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Leigh Phillips announced his second Jerry Goldsmith at The General Electric Theater Kickstarter campaign this morning, to record another two scores from that series,

I wish John Williams would get the same love regarding his TV scores...

15 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

I wish John Williams would get the same love regarding his TV scores...

Agreed. It would be great to have some re-recorded versions of his Lost in Space etc scores as the mono recording doesn’t do them justice. To be honest, I expect the main roadblock to be the man himself. I can’t imagine he’s rummaging through his Irwin Allen tv scores hoping for someone to give him the call. Given that Jerry and Bernard Herrmann have both been well represented with re-recordings of their tv music, not to mention the old Star Trek albums, if there was a chance of it happening, I suspect it would. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if someone has asked and he said no… alas. 

I may be misremembering, but I think James Fitzpatrick years ago said on the FSM board that he started looking into recording a complete Jane Eyre, and was discouraged from continuing by some of Williams’s people. I think Williams has become very protective of his earlier composition work in particular — we know he nixed The Sugarland Express from LLL, and The Rare Breed and Story of a Woman from Intrada when they started looking into those. We should all be grateful FSM managed to get so many under the radar obscurities (like Nightwatch, The Ghostbreaker, his only score for The Eleventh Hour) out when they did…

The Goldsmith GE Theater campaign is now at a shocking 82% after only 24 hours! The previous campaign was at 59% at this point…

Yavar

4 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I may be misremembering, but I think James Fitzpatrick years ago said on the FSM board that he started looking into recording a complete Jane Eyre, and was discouraged from continuing by some of Williams’s people. I think Williams has become very protective of his earlier composition work in particular — we know he nixed The Sugarland Express from LLL, and The Rare Breed and Story of a Woman from Intrada when they started looking into those. We should all be grateful FSM managed to get so many under the radar obscurities (like Nightwatch, The Ghostbreaker, his only score for The Eleventh Hour) out when they did…

The Goldsmith GE Theater campaign is now at a shocking 82% after only 24 hours! The previous campaign was at 59% at this point…

Yavar

Curious he’d be against a decent re-recording of Jane Eyre as I’m sure it’s one of his favourites. Guess we should be grateful that the Goldsmith estate is quite amenable!

I suppose Goldsmith's GE scores are also more economic (written for smaller ensembles) than stuff like Lost in Space, and thus more likely to be successful on Kickstarter.

38 minutes ago, Yavar Moradi said:

Or they just don’t care enough to actually block anything.

Hah, maybe... or are just happy there's interest in his music still.

5 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I suppose Goldsmith's GE scores are also more economic (written for smaller ensembles) than stuff like Lost in Space, and thus more likely to be successful on Kickstarter.

True, but JW is a big seller so I doubt budget is a key issue, plus I'm sure the Irwin Allen TV stuff is for relatively small ensembles?

Bigger ensembles than early anthology shows like GE Theater (or even the much bigger Playhouse 90, which averaged 18 musicians for Goldsmith) I suspect… Williams worked on some of those shows and maybe *someday* years from now his early TV anthology work could be re-recorded if original recordings don’t survive…

Yavar

• 1 month later...

Now that we’re at the end of 2022, I think it’s clear we can declare it perhaps not quite the equal of 2021, but a very close runner-up (for me it surpasses 2020, even if just barely) in terms of the years @Brundlefly has been keeping track of!

Now Brundle, with so many things being knocked off your list don’t you think it’s time to venture back at least one more decade with it? Why stop in the mid-70s when there’s so much good stuff before it? (Ransom? The Flint scores? The Other? Mephisto Waltz? The Chairman?? In Harm’s Way???) Would it help if I finished the list for you, continuing in your style? I don’t mind… except I do think predicting how good a seller something will be is a bit of a shot in the dark.

Yavar

Sounds good, and will do (soon)!

In the meantime, I recently ran across some custom cover art by Spinmeister at FSM which I thought folks here might appreciate for iTunes use on the new Hollow Man expansion, even though it didn't end up being a Varese Deluxe Edition after all...

image.png

Totally need an expanded Mom and Dad Save the World - if there is more music in the film. I tried to watch it but found it too painful to sit through even with Jerry's score. But the score is full on amazing stuff - yes, like a missing Dante score with all the zaniness and melodies to boot, including a lot of that amazing 90s synthesiser material from Total Recall etc. Medicine Man and 13th Warrior too but neither are missing anything major - can't bear City Hall. Just a total misfire of a film and score. Strange as Malice by Becker and Jerry is great......

I can’t agree with you on City Hall. I still have yet to see the film but on album it’s excellent, far better for my tastes than LA Confidential.

That said, I completely agree with you on the wonderful Mom and Dad Save the World, which I love even more. There’s about 15 minutes unreleased and I want it!! You might want to vote in this new poll I’m holding over at FSM:

https://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=150109&forumID=1&archive=0

Yavar

3 hours ago, Yavar Moradi said:

I can’t agree with you on City Hall. I still have yet to see the film but on album it’s excellent, far better for my tastes than LA Confidential.

Yes… I haven't paid it much attention in recent years, but City Hall used to be one of my personal favourites among the rarely talked about Goldsmith scores.

Fair enough - City Hall is very much a trial run for LA Confidential, especially the timpani mayhem in The Meet vs Bloody Christmas, including the Leonard Bernstein 'homages':

• 4 weeks later...

Wow!  That's a shockingly huge list!  I know Jerry was super prolific, but the fact he has almost 100 scores that still have not been release in complete form is kind of crazy.

Great work putting that together! :up:

12 hours ago, Jay said:

Wow!  That's a shockingly huge list!  I know Jerry was super prolific, but the fact he has almost 100 scores that still have not been release in complete form is kind of crazy.

Great work putting that together! :up:

Thanks! It’s actually more than 100 scores if one counts each episode score individually (I just combined into one entry for each show, so The Waltons or Gunsmoke for example becomes one “score” rather than the six different scores they each are.)

Yavar