Daniel Radcliffe to Play “Weird Al” Yankovic in Biopic "Weird: The Al Yankovic Story"

Jay

In the first couple of HP films he was easily the weakest of the three leads but he progressed hugely in the later ones... his turn in Equus on the London stage really helped him improve. He's been pretty great in everything else I've seen him in, plus he seems like a genuinely nice guy. And, I gotta admit, pretty damn cute. I can't imagine what a Weird Al biopic might be like (for someone who likes comedy songs, I don't have any Weird Al in my collection) but I'll be curious to give this a look when it comes out.

31 minutes ago, Tom Guernsey said:

for someone who likes comedy songs, I don't have any Weird Al in my collection

... Does not compute 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

... Does not compute 

I know. I'll have to get some of his stuff sometime. To be fair, the comedy songs I like tend to be original ones rather than parodies of existing songs. Then again, I like Randy Rainbow who basically does the same thing.

I mean you don't have to go "get" it, you can listen to his entire discography free on Spotify or youtube or whatever streaming service you use

Only 50% of Al's songs are parodies, the other 50% are originals

It's just that the only ones that ever get played on the radio or MTV were all parodies

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I mean you don't have to go "get" it, you can listen to his entire discography free on Spotify or youtube or whatever streaming service you use

It's just that the only ones that ever get played on the radio or MTV were all parodies

I'll look him up on Amazon Music for sure. I have enjoyed what I've heard and I'm always up for a good parody... although the best spoof pop song ever is clearly...

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

And in the parodies categories, roughly half are parodies of specific songs, while the rest are style parodies of artists, eras, or genres. 

I didn't realize all that before I started to tag his albums that I have for my server. I added such information to the Title tags to be more descriptive. 

He's going on tour this year. Already got my tix. 

8 hours ago, Positivatee said:

And in the parodies categories, roughly half are parodies of specific songs, while the rest are style parodies of artists, eras, or genres. 

No, that's not correct.  What I said is correct. 

50% are parodies of specific songs (or Polka Medleys of existing songs)

50% are originals that are mostly emulating a specific artist or style/genre.  Maybe something like 5-10% of those originals are not a nod to a specific existing thing and I suppose are considered purely original - Gotta Boogie, Midnight Star, Nature Trail To Hell, Attack of the Radioactive Hamsters from a Planet near Mars, a few others...

But the rest of his "originals" emulate something specific already existing, just without being a direct parody.  Of course many times the original thing a style parody is emulating, is a bit obscure, like Airline Amy, Party at the Leper Colony, Virus Alert...

8 hours ago, Positivatee said:

I didn't realize all that before I started to tag his albums that I have for my server. I added such information to the Title tags to be more descriptive. 

He's going on tour this year. Already got my tix. 

Pittsburgh on Oct 26?

I was about to post about not enjoying Weird Al and thought "I must have done in the past"  and yup! 

On 24/10/2017 at 8:06 AM, Disco Stu said:

Maybe I'm a bad nerd, but I can't stand Weird Al.  He's like the Country Crock margarine of comedy.

On 24/01/2017 at 12:10 PM, Disco Stu said:

Haven't liked any of Weird Al's music since I was a kid.  Just doesn't make me laugh anymore.

On 24/10/2017 at 9:44 AM, Disco Stu said:

No Weird Al album is essential listening.  At their very best, they're good for a brief chuckle before I move on with my life.

I will admit I like the Star Wars song, though.

• 1 month later...

First they get an Irishman to play Robert Oppenheimer, a German - Jew.

Now we get an Englishman to play a Polish- American.

What happened to ethnically appropriate casting?

Why aren't Hollywood activists protesting?

😎

On 23/02/2022 at 8:46 AM, Disco Stu said:

A fairly close real-world photo for comparison

weird-al-polka-flashback-95fa8e7f-e13b-4

https://youtu.be/y4sALru9IJk

8 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

First they get an Irishman to play Robert Oppenheimer, a German - Jew.

Now we get an Englishman to play a Polish- American.

What happened to ethnically appropriate casting?

😎

They tried to, but they're all dead :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/5/2022 at 4:59 PM, Naïve Old Fart said:

This might just be Radcliffe's defining role, and the part which finally lets him put that bloody wizard, behind him.

He’s already accomplished that. His career post-Potter is filled with fantastic off-beat roles. He’s already made enough money to be able to do whatever he wants. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...