Batu Sener’s The Ice Age Adventures of Buck Wild

PrayodiBA

I think this deserves its own thread,

I mean judging by the music in this newly released clip:

(Don’t mind the atrocious animation quality, a huge stepdown from the previous, now that Blue Sky Studios is gone)

Apprently , that “giddy” ,really Powell-like tune we heard in the sample is a theme for a character named Zee.

https://m.soundcloud.com/batusener/ice-age-buck-wild-score-teaser-2

And boy, if he maintains a theme-anship like that, then I hope Sener’s path in Hollywood shines bright ( sadly though, it is because he emulates Powell really well, not because his own voice)

Can’t wait for the ost, coming next Friday!

Bummer there's only 20 seconds or so of score in that minute long clip

What we can hear sounds good

And wow yea, really low-budge animation

On 20/01/2022 at 4:49 PM, PrayodiBA said:

( sadly though, it is because he emulates Powell really well, not because his own voice)

I honestly don't care. We don't get anywhere near enough Powell these days. If we can get loyal replications of his style on top I'm happy.

Good grief, that looks like it was rendered on a PS2. Such low quality textures and a weird shutter speed (like they didn't render motion blur or something??)

But yeah, music sounds nice! Great to see Sener getting his chance in the spotlight. Clearly he's had a great tutelage under Powell, who in turn got some great tutelage under Williams!

At Film Music Reporter, track 21 is referred as: "Track title to be revealed on January 27 (5:45)".

So yeah, it is a spoiler.

Question is, who the fuck cares about spoilers for a low budget spin-off of Ice Age? 6-year-old children?

Someone at FMR just used Sener's Facebook post as the source of the article, so he's just saying that we'll know the title on the 27th cause it'll be up on AU and NZ iTunes then

But yes, Sener choosing to blank it out to begin with makes no sense at all

11 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Question is, who the fuck cares about spoilers for a low budget spin-off of Ice Age? 6-year-old children?

They're trying to stop people from spoiling

Spoiler

when all the characters from past Ice Age films show up via multi-dimensional portals. Also that crazy squirrel saves the day. It's a really long cue title.

Saw the first film years ago. It's still arguably the most famous title on David Newman's resume.

But never saw the sequels, I think, nor any other spin-off (like this). I'm too old.

I do watch some animated kiddie flicks these days, but they're mostly high profile ones (last year, I saw LUCA, RAYA, THE MITCHELLS VS. THE MACHINES....perhaps a couple more).

It's good! Sounds as though it could have been written by JP himself. Batu does a REALLY good job joining a whole bunch of themes together from Ice Age 2 & 3 without any abrupt, awkward sounding turns - the first track is a particularly good example. Very clever. His new theme for (presumably) the possums is particularly catchy.

It might feel a bit incohesive if you aren't familiar with JP's original themes, but man, 16 years on (for some of them), they still work wonders.

I need to give Ice Age 2 and 3 another listen - they are both great. I never got into 4, so I'll have to give that another chance.

1 hour ago, WampaRat said:

One track in and already my mood has improved :) Well done Batu!

I think it’s great. As I said in the Now Playing thread, this was always going to a great opportunity for Sener to launch a solo career (bet Powell is 100% behind him too). There’s a good chance he’ll do well out of all this… and the best of luck to him!

Edit: It’s even better that his first big solo project is one within a well-established franchise. Better than being thrown a studio movie that has been festering during Covid that nobody had any faith in.

1 minute ago, LSH said:

I think it’s great. As I said in the Now Playing thread, this was always going to a great opportunity for Sener to launch a solo career (bet Powell is 100% behind him too). There’s a good chance he’ll do well out of all this… and the best of luck to him!

I will be most interested to hear his own musical voice as he goes along. He’s clearly VERY adept at sounding like his mentor. Although I can’t complain if he continues to sound like this.If we have a couple dozen zimmer clones in the industry, why can’t we have at least one Powell clone? 😜

Just now, WampaRat said:

I will be most interested to hear his own musical voice as he goes along. He’s clearly VERY adept at sounding like his mentor. Although I can’t complain if he continues to sound like this.If we have a couple dozen zimmer clones in the industry, why can’t we have at least one Powell clone? 😜

Very good point. With Powell taking less projects (which, in itself, is a good thing… the quality has skyrocketed), I don’t really mind if Sener continues to imitate him. More Powell = happiness.

It’ll merely be a bonus if Sener turns out to have his own singular voice. Hoping so.

really liked this!  It reminded me of How To Train Your Dragon often, but not in a ripoff way at all.  I've honestly never listened to any of Powell's Ice Age scores, so had no idea their sound was this close to Dragon's.  I guess I'll have to check them out!

Should I start with 2?  Or 3 or 4?  OST? Leak?

@JayGo in order:) 2,3, and 4

Start with the OSTs I’d say. Number 2 I think is Powell’s  strongest in the series. The finale starting with “The Boat and the Geysers” on to the end is terrific Powell scoring. Lots of that fun syncopated waltz-like rhythm. It’s been a while since I’ve listened to 3. I’d say it’s about the same level as two with a handful of fun new themes. The end credit suite was one i listened to frequently on that one. I think I’ve only listened to 4 twice. It’s a bit more frenetic. But still fun. 

Also, If you haven’t heard it, Mars Needs Moms is another great JP score that came after the first HTTYD. Maintains a great narrative and isn’t quite as “cartoony” sounding as some of his other animation scores if that appeals to you.

Powell just has a blast and is full of such joy in these scores.I’ve been listening to Horton Hears a Who the last couple days and I’m just blown away by the sheer inventiveness of that score. 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

really liked this!  It reminded me of How To Train Your Dragon often, but not in a ripoff way at all.  I've honestly never listened to any of Powell's Ice Age scores, so had no idea they sound was this close to Dragon's.  I guess I'll have to check them out!

Should I start with 2?  Or 3 or 4?  OST? Leak?

I find that his Ice Age material (2 and 3 at least, I've never bothered to check out 4) is basically his same voice as HTTYD, just without the dramatic maturity that he developed by Dragons.

I think Ice 3 is the best of those, with some cracking action towards the end. The album looks far longer than it is on casual inspection - it was split into 44 tracks to minimise the runtime of tracks containing choir (Powell confirmed in some interview he'd done that).

1 hour ago, Richard Penna said:

I find that his Ice Age material (2 and 3 at least, I've never bothered to check out 4) is basically his same voice as HTTYD, just without the dramatic maturity that he developed by Dragons.

I think Ice 3 is the best of those, with some cracking action towards the end. The album looks far longer than it is on casual inspection - it was split into 44 tracks to minimise the runtime of tracks containing choir (Powell confirmed in some interview he'd done that).

Oh wow! That’s why it’s oddly chopped up. It’s similar to Horton. There’s like 30 second tracks with choir. Those fees, man.

I think Powell's Ice Age scores are all strong and a lot of fun.

I don't see a lot of love for the 4th. Which I think is great. The action material in particular is terrific. Listen to Schism, Storm, Diversion, Pirating The Pirates & Land Bridge Trap. Those are some amazing sequences. And I love the big 'operatic' theme he uses for the momemt when the continentals are drifting

17 hours ago, WampaRat said:

Oh wow! That’s why it’s oddly chopped up. It’s similar to Horton. There’s like 30 second tracks with choir. Those fees, man.

I found where it's mentioned:

Referring to this video:

I'm a couple of tracks in and I'm loving what I hear.

Ice Age 2 was my first real connection with a Powell score, so it holds a special place in my heart. I remember watching the film back in 2006 or so and I was hooked on the music. It sounded so fresh to my ears.

So, this new score feels like revisiting an old friend. The orchestration sounds a bit smaller, just like in Ice Age 2, so it's a little nice extra touch that fills my heart with joy. 

Saw a bit of the film and it looked dreadful, so I'm sticking with the score only.