John Williams – The Tanglewood 90th Birthday Celebration (8/20/22)

Andrej

Awesome! I wonder if they’ll do the usual Film Night in addition to this?

Also surprised there’s no word about anything at Symphony Hall in Boston yet.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

Well, it's an indoor venue, outdoor venues are probably easier to confirm further in advance while covids still a thing

I suppose, though everything else scheduled so far will be indoors.

4 hours ago, rpvee said:

I wonder if they’ll do the usual Film Night in addition to this?

The entire Tanglewood Schedule is now posted. Alas, I did not see a Film Night this year. 

https://www.bso.org/seasons/tanglewood-2022-season-programs

The Boston Pops typically does that film night, but I think to make the Williams 90th more impactful and special, that is not happening. However, I do see what I would consider the "film night slot" on August 19 is going to be a Pops-led Sondheim remembrance concert. 

The only other Williams related work I see is Empire Strikes Back live to picture, led by Keith Lockhart and the Boston Pops on July 15.

On 20/01/2022 at 1:36 PM, rpvee said:

Awesome! I wonder if they’ll do the usual Film Night in addition to this?

Also surprised there’s no word about anything at Symphony Hall in Boston yet.

They usually announce the Tanglewood season at a separate time from the regular season in Boston. This bugs me every year, since it makes it harder to plan when to go see JW. I'm hoping he'll end up conducting in Boston sometime this year.

For his 80th there was no film night either. He also didn't conduct during that show, but was in the audience. I feel like the guest list is pretty sparse, given the guest list of people who appeared live or by video for the 80th was near endless. He's also not on the bill for Tanglewood on Parade. Probably all covid related sadly, probably won't firm up until it gets near the season start.

9 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

For his 80th there was no film night either. He also didn't conduct during that show, but was in the audience. I feel like the guest list is pretty sparse, given the guest list of people who appeared live or by video for the 80th was near endless. He's also not on the bill for Tanglewood on Parade. Probably all covid related sadly, probably won't firm up until it gets near the season start.

At least we have the little April tour.

Where does he usually sit when he’s in the audience at Tanglewood?

Just now, rpvee said:

At least we have the little April tour.

Where does he usually sit when he’s in the audience at Tanglewood?

In the middle, but they usually fill the sits around him with people he knows to avoid obviously people bothering him. Although for the Bernstein celebration, I ended up getting seats kind of to the side in the right front section but a bit far back and I thought they weren't so great and funny enough I looked to my left and there are all the Bernstein's, James Taylor and his family and others. So you never know.

The 80th Birthday gala was a wonderful night, with lots of guests on stage and many people contributing video messages (including the then-US President Barack Obama). They performed mostly his concert music (including one or two selections from the rarely heard Seven for Luck).

It was also broadcasted live on WGBH radio (now Classical CRB). Hopefully they will do the same this year too.

2 minutes ago, TownerFan said:

The 80th Birthday gala was a wonderful night, with lots of guests on stage and many people contributing video messages (including the then-US President Barack Obama). They performed mostly his concert music (including one or two selections from the rarely heard Seven for Luck).

It was also broadcasted live on WGBH radio (now Classical CRB). Hopefully they will do the same this year too.

I think I remember the clip where Barak Obama wished John Williams as well. Any one know oif that clip and the WGBH concert is still available online/ offline?

• 1 month later...

The lawn is $32, very back of the shed is $57, seats near the back are $96, and the rest are $132. The fees add about $6 per ticket to these prices.

If you haven't been before, the lawn is a lot of fun BUT you can't really see the stage much at all. You can see it from anywhere in the shed though.

As of now you can still buy tix, but you have to double check that you're logged in. When I had trouble at first, it said I was logged in, but I actually wasn't.

1 hour ago, Smeltington said:

The lawn is $32, very back of the shed is $57, seats near the back are $96, and the rest are $132. The fees add about $6 per ticket to these prices.

If you haven't been before, the lawn is a lot of fun BUT you can't really see the stage much at all. You can see it from anywhere in the shed though.

As of now you can still buy tix, but you have to double check that you're logged in. When I had trouble at first, it said I was logged in, but I actually wasn't.

hmm still won't let me buy

9 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

It was supposed to be for people who had bought tickets before. I dunno, it's weird how it works, I had trouble finagling it.

so is the concert outside? I've never been there and I'm confused 

On 8/3/2022 at 9:53 AM, Smeltington said:

Looks like if you've already bought tickets for past BSO concerts, you can buy tickets for this at 10am EST.

...or not? No luck so far:

Thanks for the heads up about this, grabbed a ticket last night. Section 8 of the shed. Already hardly anything left in there. Also, Williams still isn’t listed as a confirmed guest.

I'm glad you got one! I don't know if Williams would have been confirmed at the 80th bday concert either, since he didn't actually perform. But since he was present for that one I kind of expect him to be around for this one too. I guess we'll see. Maybe he'll sit in section 8 of the shed  ;) 

Hmm. Then maybe I'll grab 'em. I would like to see this.

Is it first come first serve, you just grab the best seat on the lawn before the concert starts? Curious how this works.

Depends how much time, trouble, and $$$ is involved for you. If it's a lot, you might want to prioritize a concert where Williams will actually conduct. In fact I still wonder if he might do a Boston concert this year. The 80th concert was great, but it's still even MORE exciting to see the man himself.

1 minute ago, KK said:

Is it first come first serve, you just grab the best seat on the lawn before the concert starts? Curious how this works.

Yes, exactly. Where you sit doesn't matter a whole lot, though... as I mentioned, on the lawn the only thing you can really see is the video screens. You'll be able to hear just fine though. And the grounds are beautiful, it's a great setting for just listening.

Yup its just a big open lawn and you show up and plunk down anywhere you like.  There are no "seats", it's a big field.  I think I posted pictures earlier in the thread.

Many people who attend bring their own chairs or blankets or something, you can bring your own food and drink, etc.  They also sell food and drink there, and you can rent chairs too

2 minutes ago, Smeltington said:

Depends how much time, trouble, and $$$ is involved for you. If it's a lot, you might want to prioritize a concert where Williams will actually conduct. In fact I still wonder if he might do a Boston concert this year. The 80th concert was great, but it's still even MORE exciting to see the man himself.

Thanks guys. I'd be coming from Toronto, so it's not too bad. But I really want to see Williams in action (I know he might not be conducting this one) this year, and I've missed the ticket sales window on most of the other concerts.

Do we know if anything else might be coming up this year (like the Boston concert you mentioned) that hasn't been officially announced yet?

Most years he does have a Film Night concert in Boston. We already know about the Hollywood Bowl, which hasn't gone on sale yet. Then there are several other well-documented shows that have already gone on sale (Carnegie and others).

7 minutes ago, KK said:

I know he might not be conducting this one

When making your decision, you should assume he won't. For the 80th it was a very similar setup and he only came onstage at the end to shake hands with everyone.

• 3 months later...
On 11/03/2022 at 10:58 AM, Jay said:

HELL YES

I do believe that this "HELL YES" is why we're traveling from TN to Lenox. Couldn't get shed seats, but JW doesn't come to TN (I don't blame him). So we're coming to him and sitting on the lawn. :D :D :D 

23 minutes ago, thx99 said:

John Williams and the Boston Pops: A 90th Birthday Retrospective

Tanglewood Online Exhibit

https://www.bso.org/exhibits/john-williams-and-the-boston-pops

Some great pics and info!!!

Excellent exhibit.  It should mention the Esplanade Overture under premieres, but that is more my problem than anything else.  

I did not realize he debuted the 84 Olympic theme with them.  Talk about a piece that everyone and their dog would have immediately percieved as a special classic.  

its too bad a lot of this stuff was taken down from youtube for one reason or another. I would really love to see that pops performance with him and james taylor, and also the vivaldi. There is still kinda of a low quality version of he and yo yo ma doing the haydn concerto in C, but its vhs quality.

2 hours ago, Miguel Andrade said:

They do miss some premieres in the other works section (Jubilee 350; Pops on the March...)

It seems they only keept the ones inspired by the Boston Pops (under his direction) and their friends.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone. Hope all are well. I happen to now have a ticket going for this. Ticket is for S12, Row K; a prime seat/view inside shed. At the time of writing this there doesn't appear to be any inside tickets available anywhere online for this event. Ticket is digital/mobile so easily transferrable to new attendee. DM if interested and for more info. Cheers. 

Just realized that earlier the same evening as this concert, there's an event with Tony Kushner being interviewed about his career at Tanglewood.  Quite a coincidence!  I know it's basically a zero percent chance that music from The Fabelmans would premiere early, but I can dream!

57 minutes ago, Canyoubay Liever said:

Hello everyone. Hope all are well. I happen to now have a ticket going for this. Prime seat/view, inside shed. At the time of writing this there doesn't appear to be any inside tickets available anywhere online for this event. Ticket is digital/mobile so easily transferrable to new attendee. DM if interested and for more info. Cheers. 

Could you post what the seat is?

4 hours ago, Canyoubay Liever said:

Hello everyone. Hope all are well. I happen to now have a ticket going for this. Prime seat/view, inside shed. At the time of writing this there doesn't appear to be any inside tickets available anywhere online for this event. Ticket is digital/mobile so easily transferrable to new attendee. DM if interested and for more info. Cheers. 

interested !

ALL John WILLIAMS program:
Sound the Bells!
Tributes (For Seiji)
Highwood’s Ghost
Pickin’ from Three Pieces for Solo Cello
Just Down West Street on the Left
To Lenny, To Lenny (For New York)
Escapades from Catch Me If You Can
Presenting James Taylor
Throne Room & Finale from Star Wars: A New Hope 

As cool as I think it is, I'm actually really surprised to see this program. I remember they did a bunch of his chamber music as a pre-concert thing last time, but the grand spectacle last time was indeed a grand spectacle and a very varied program.

It probably has to do with scheduling stuff that a lot of being people are not going, or are not with us anymore like Jessye Norman. But I'm still surprised at how kind of small it is, especially compared to the last one. Probably covid again. Grubinger was dropped from the program as well.

FYI:

https://www.bso.org/events/silent-film-music

This gives really no information, but decades ago a friend of mine who is from Lenox actually went to one of these where John had done a masterclass. It might be worth asking for those in the area. I would doubt it, but you never know.