Danny Elfman's DICK TRACY (1990) - 2016 2-CD Intrada

Da duh DA duh duh da daa daaa duh!

DICK TRACY (2CD)

http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.10632/.f

Danny Elfman’s exciting, tuneful score for Warren Beatty big-budget filming of comic strip hero Dick Tracy gets the royal 2-CD treatment! Beatty also stars, with support from mega-cast including Madonna, Al Pacino, Dustin Hoffman, James Caan, many others. Legendary cameraman Vittorio Storaro shoots in bright comic colors, equally famed production designer Richard Sylbert realizes vivid art deco cityscape, Disney’s Buena Vista effects team creates fantastic matte paintings, other visuals. Add incredible makeup for wide array of monstrous villains and Chester Gould’s police detective rises from comic strip to real life on the big screen, earning three Academy Awards in the transition! Danny Elfman anchors with period New York vibe, then creates dynamic, sizzling orchestral action music with aggressive overtones plus gorgeous seductive theme for “Breathless” Mahoney (Madonna). Unusual scoring assignment has Elfman writing his music with numerous ideas designed to play into, out from and circle around many Stephen Sondheim songs (issued at time of movie’s release and not available for this edition) while maintaining thematic structure of its own. Elfman succeeds! Even in brief, cues are dazzling, fully-realized miniatures! Main Dick Tracy theme is martial and righteous, romantic ideas are sumptuous and harmonically fluid. Robust and ravishing from start to finish! 1990 album offered just 35 minutes of score with creative edits and assemblies within each sequence. However, Elfman wrote and recorded over 100 minutes of music, including several alternates plus versions not heard in the film. Some of these alternates boast strikingly different ideas, others are more nuanced. At request of composer, Intrada presents original 1990 score album intact from digital album master, then features unedited cues as scored in picture sequence plus treasure trove of additional material. Elfman fans should be delirious! To prepare all the new material for this lavish 2-CD set, Intrada engaged original scoring engineer Dennis Sands to create brand new 2016 state-of-the-art stereo mixes from Disney’s 32-track digital session masters. Hear stunning array of new details! Fascinating to enjoy Elfman’s original album (a masterful presentation itself) then hear unedited versions of the cues with all-new clarity following their original 1990 mixes. All those additional cues and alternates are even more icing on the cake. Notes by Jeff Bond, rich graphic design by Kay Marshall, Joe Sikoryak with flipper-style cover art enhance this fabulous package. Early-ish Danny Elfman at his rousing, symphonic best! Steve Bartek, Jack Hayes headline orchestrators, Shirley Walker conducts. Intrada Special Collection 2-CD release available while supplies and interest remain!

CD 1 - 1990 Original Score Album
01. Main Title (3:36)
02. After The “Kid” (1:45)
03. Crime Spree (1:54)
04. Breathless’ Theme (2:14)
05. Big Boy/Bad Boys (2:11)
06. Tess’ Theme (1:13)
07. Slimy D.A. (1:41)
08. Breathless Comes On (2:53)
09. Meet The Blank (1:43)
10. The Story Unfolds (1:59)
11. Blank Gets The Goods (2:25)
12. Rooftops (2:01)
13. Tess’ Theme – Reprise (1:16)
14. The Chase (2:56)
15. Showdown / Reunited (4:07)
16. Finale (0:58)
      Total Time: 34:59

Unedited And Additional Original Score Cues
17. Main Title – Part 1** (1:08)
18. Main Title – Part 2** (2:25)
19. Flattop’s Entrance** (0:34)
20. Tracy’s Entrance (0:31)
21. Lips Gets Nailed (0:38)
22. And They’re Off** (1:45)
23. Meet Big Boy** (0:33)
24. Lips Needs A Bath* (0:28)
25. Lips Needs A Bath (Alternate) (0:28)
26. Lips Gets A Bath** (0:54)
27. Walnuts (0:39)
28. Breathless Comes On** (1:19)
29. Crime Lab** (0:23)
30. Crime Lab (Alternate)* (0:14)
31. Kid Montage* (1:40)
32. Love One (1:15)
33. Breathless Again** (2:56)
34. Tracy Spies (0:24)
35. Spaldoni Go Boom (1:14)
36. Tracy Gets Nabbed (0:38)
37. Boiler Go Boom!* (Danny Elfman / Shirley Walker) (2:24)
      Additional Cues Time: 22:29
      CD 1 Total Time: 57:35

CD 2 - Unedited And Additional Original Score Cues (Cont.)
01. Badge* (0:21)
02. Badge (Alternate)* (0:21)
03. Badge (Alternate 2)* (0:21)
04. Slimy D.A**. (1:43)
05. Peach Juice* (0:57)
06. Peach Juice II* (0:38)
07. Peach Juice II (Revised)* (0:38)
08. Peach Juice II (Alternate)** (Danny Elfman / Shirley Walker) (0:24)
09. Meet The Blank** (2:02)
10. Tess Farewell (Alternate) (1:07)
11. Bug Rescued** (1:41)
12. Bug Rescued (Alternate)** (1:41)
13. At The Dock (1:20)
14. Blank Gets The Goods** (1:49)
15. Tess Nabbed* (0:21)
16. Tess Nabbed (Alternate) (0:14)
17. Bait** (0:54)
18. Gasser** (0:57)
19. Fletcher Shot/Framed (1:35)
20. News Montage* (0:16)
21. Crime Spree Montage* (1:54)
22. Jail Cell (0:41)
23. Kid/Tracy Hits the Street (0:43)
24. Chief Gets A Call (0:29)
25. Tracy Finds Tess (A/B)** (0:46)
26. Tracy Finds Tess (A/B/C)** (1:55)
27. Tracy Finds Tess (A/B/C) (Revised)** (2:05)
28. Mine Enemy (Revised)** (0:57)
29. Rescue – Part I (0:22)
30. Rescue – Part II (0:15)
31. Rescue – Part III (0:15)
32. Rescue – Part IV/Rescue – Part V (0:57)
33. Blast Out (0:25)
34. Tracy To The Rescue II** (2:57)
35. Mano A Mano** (2:21)
36. Revealed / Reunited** (2:32)
37. Revealed / Reunited (Revised)* (2:29)
38. Finale (Revised)** (0:58)
39. Finale (Alternate) (0:58)
40. Finale* (1:08)
41. Breathless #1* (0:58)
42. Breathless #2* (0:48)
      CD 2 Total Time: 46:22
      *Not featured in film.
      **Includes music not featured in film.

32 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

So why does this release have the old donkey OST as CD1? Why didn't they do a proper complete and chronological release?

Pass!

What part of "at composer's request" did you not understand?

Well, the majority of the people on this forum despise the requests of the composers. This retains the original soundtrack album, what Elfman obviously considers the best listening experience (and it is a good album), while adding all this additional music for the completists to do whatever they wish with.

30 minutes ago, Fennel Ka said:

What part of "at composer's request" did you not understand?

That's no excuse!

23 minutes ago, petaQ said:

English is not his first language. 

But it is my last!

If Danny Elfman wants to organize some shitty obscure soundtrack in a weird order just so it can be released, just accept it, and make your iTunes whatever different order you need it to be. 

I'll take it...if I can get my grubby little protuberances on it...

8 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

The only issue I have is that they didn't include a third disc with the Madonna songs.

I guess because the film is The Mouse, and the Madonna CD is Warner Bros.

Anyway, does the world really need a remastered HANKY fucking PANKY, for fuck's sake?

9 hours ago, petaQ said:

If Danny Elfman wants to organize some shitty obscure soundtrack in a weird order just so it can be released, just accept it, and make your iTunes whatever different order you need it to be. 

Yeah, of course we can do that.

But why not just release the OST on disc 1 and then release the whole thing after that? It makes it tidier. Hopefully, the new release features a guide of what should go where.

Karol

14 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yeah, of course we can do that.

But why not just release the OST on disc 1 and then release the whole thing after that? It makes it tidier. Hopefully, the new release features a guide of what should go where.

Karol

By the looks of the track list the full film score starts at the end of disc 1 and continues on disc 2 but for some reason they opted to include all the alternates in the complete score sequence. Might be that some of the alternates are so different they thought they would fit the main programme of the complete score without it becoming too repetetive.

But of course in this day and age you can arrange the alternate stuff on your personal playlist anywhere you like.

Looks like the cues after the OST on disc 1 are in chronological order and not missing stuff.

E.g. the below cues have main title part 1 and 2 and main title is also on the OST

Unedited And Additional Original Score Cues
17. Main Title – Part 1** (1:08)
18. Main Title – Part 2** (2:25)
19. Flattop’s Entrance** (0:34)
20. Tracy’s Entrance (0:31)
21. Lips Gets Nailed (0:38)
22. And They’re Off** (1:45)

Again it looks like the alternates are in chronological order with often the film version first  and e.g. two alternates presented after it so I think editing the alternates out will be an easy task for the most part.

E.g. from disc 2

05. Peach Juice* (0:57)
06. Peach Juice II* (0:38)
07. Peach Juice II (Revised)* (0:38)
08. Peach Juice II (Alternate)** (Danny Elfman / Shirley Walker) (0:24)

You can easily remove Peach Juice II alternates so that only the final film version remains on your playlist.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...
15 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Is there a way to put the hand on "Dick Tracy" (Intrada)?

I recently dipped into that. And apart from the pure jazz numbers it pretty much sounded like the batman score. Did not excite me.

It’s a shame that they didn’t do something like Sleepy Hollow with Dick Tracy (OST followed by a few alternate “full score”-ish arrangements designed for listening and then followed by the rest as alternates.  As it stands, there’s really no structure at all.

36 minutes ago, mstrox said:

It’s a shame that they didn’t do something like Sleepy Hollow with Dick Tracy (OST followed by a few alternate “full score”-ish arrangements designed for listening and then followed by the rest as alternates.  As it stands, there’s really no structure at all.

Agreed, doing it that way or the way that Close Encounters was produced probably would have been a better option. I'm sure they could have put together an album representing the score presentation that came relatively close to what was in the final film (without necessarily making any cuts within individual cues) or a presentation that used his original (or preferred) versions of each cue.

I used the listing at Chrono Score (https://chrono-score.blogspot.com/2012/06/dick-tracy.html) to prepare a playlist (without edits within cues and excluding the songs) to prepare something that approximates what appeared in the final film. It gives a solid 52 minute playlist (albeit spread over an astonishing 46 tracks!) without getting two versions of the same cue side by side. Certainly one of the few times that the production of an expanded album has been a little bit puzzling! Still, a fun score with plenty of great themes that I'm glad to have.

On Darkened theater vol. 2, I like what Elfman did with the Mission Impossible Suite, the first part is a cue called "Trouble", it seems like an edit of Sleeping beauty and an alternate of Zoom B. Interesting.

16 minutes ago, Bespin said:

On Darkened theater vol. 2, I like what Elfman did with the Mission Impossible Suite, the first part is a cue called "Trouble", it seems like an edit of Sleeping beauty and an alternate of Zoom B. Interesting.

Funnily enough I always hated that version since it cuts out the appearance of the M:I theme in Zoom B so it's full of mounting exciting and chaos which is swept away by the M:I theme, but instead it just cuts to later in the cue. Almost as annoying as the build up to the main ET theme which then fails to appear in the concert version of Adventures on Earth. I figured it was to avoid actually featuring the M:I theme on the compilation, which is understandable, but it totally ruins the structure of the writing.

30 minutes ago, GerateWohl said:

I have got the Madonna album. Does that count?

It's a great album too, you can mix it with the OST to make a kind of good C&C.

But I'm looking now for the expanded release.

I got "an evaluation copy" of the expansion.

It's a mess.

It's really Danny Elfman saying to us: the OST was perfect, here it is "remastered"... but arrange yourself with the rest... alt 1, alt 2, alt 3 one after the other...  Mew.