Michael Giacchino's Lightyear

JNHFan2000

17 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

This movie was pitched as "the movie Andy saw in 1995 that made him a Buzz Lightyear fan". However, had this movie been made in 1995, it would've had a much better score by people like James Horner, Michael Kamen, Bruce Broughton, Alan Silvestri, etc.

So, why not pretend we're back to the 1990s and hire an older composer? Sure, Horner (the ideal choice) and Kamen aren't alive anymore, but this could've been an amazing opportunity for Broughton or Silvestri. Or Joel McNeely, David Newman, Mark Mancina...

Choosing Giacchino seemed like an easier, lazier choice. "Oh, this guy has made a lot of movies for Pixar, so let's bring him back". But it could've been much more special with an old-fashioned composer.

I was just saying the same thing to my brother earlier. I was also joking about how they should have made it with crappier, 90s-quality animation as well. 😛

28 minutes ago, Tydirium said:

I was also joking about how they should have made it with crappier, 90s-quality animation as well. 😛

I'd love if they could do it in beautiful 2D animation, like the Disney Reinassance classics! Or at least in a mix of hand-drawn characters with CGI environments, like Tarzan.

Given the film is sold as the in-universe thing that got Andy to buy a Buzz toy, I'm going to assume it's the equivalent of a Bay Transformers movie, where no reference is ever made of the past music of the franchise.

5 hours ago, Tydirium said:

What do you mean? Zurg in Toy Story 2 has a distinct 16-note theme that shows up multiple times. I wouldn't call that "musical sounds." It goes by quickly, but if Giacchino wanted to elaborate on it and add a B section or something, he could have done so. Heck, doesn't Buzz already have a theme in the franchise too?

He has completely deteriorated as a composer, imo. I can't remember the last time I was actually excited about a new score of his, and I say that as someone who loved Medal of Honor, Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Up, Lost, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, etc. But there has been a noticeable decline in the quality of his music over the years; the torturous 4-note Batman motif, and now we get stuff like this from him:

What even is that?! It's just simple repeating figures, occasionally going up by a half-step or step. And this isn't the only track he does stuff like this in; listen to a lot of his recent work and it's the same sort of thing. Speaking of simplicity, I'm reminded of his piano piece for that Gloria Cheng album Montage; Williams, Newman, Desplat, Broughton, and Don Davis' pieces all sounded like legit works by good composers, but Giacchino's sounded overly simplistic and amateurish.

If you really want to be driven mad, try 1:50-onward of “Costa Rican Standoff”. 

On 17/06/2022 at 5:11 PM, Stu said:

I'm seeing a lot of critics saying this is in contention for worst Pixar movie.

I hear they introduce a lesbian

Spoiler

and she dies!

genius, really breaking new ground

33 minutes ago, Brónach said:

I hear they introduce a lesbian

Hide contents

and she dies!

genius, really breaking new ground

Lol. It's kind of funny/weird when you consider that this is supposed to be the movie that Andy saw back in the 90s, and yet it's got stuff in it that such a movie made back then wouldn't have even had... It's just not really believable that this would have come out back then.

17 hours ago, Edmilson said:

But it could've been much more special with an old-fashioned composer.

I don't think so. What Giacchino delivered suited the film well, it cast the right tone, hit the right emotional points and had a strong main theme. 

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I don't think so. What Giacchino delivered suited the film well, it cast the right tone, hit the right emotional points and had a strong main theme. 

Those are the bare minimum.

18 hours ago, Edmilson said:

This movie was pitched as "the movie Andy saw in 1995 that made him a Buzz Lightyear fan". However, had this movie been made in 1995, it would've had a much better score by people like James Horner, Michael Kamen, Bruce Broughton, Alan Silvestri, etc.

So, why not pretend we're back to the 1990s and hire an older composer? Sure, Horner (the ideal choice) and Kamen aren't alive anymore, but this could've been an amazing opportunity for Broughton or Silvestri. Or Joel McNeely, David Newman, Mark Mancina...

Choosing Giacchino seemed like an easier, lazier choice. "Oh, this guy has made a lot of movies for Pixar, so let's bring him back". But it could've been much more special with an old-fashioned composer.

The thing is that people - the industry and I would say increasingly moviegoers - really do see Michael Giacchino in this light. He's done a good job promoting himself in this way if nothing else. It's not just "Let's get the Pixar guy", it's "Let's get the old-fashioned orchestral guy". Like a lot of us I would say that he's leaned on that reputation in lazier and lazier ways in the last ten years, but he is basically viewed as the only guy under 60 who's made it his whole business to try and do what those guys were doing in the 80s-90s. So the fact that anybody would want him for this - and that he would want it for himself - makes more sense than just him being a stock Pixar/Disney hand. 

But I know what you mean about having a score by somebody who literally would have been doing a space adventure movie for kids in 1995, regardless of anybody's takes on Giacchino. 

1 hour ago, Arpy said:

It's not that he was "wrong" for the job. As I said previously on this thread, I like the score. 

However, it could've been something more special if they decided to make the movie as old-fashioned as the pitch suggests and hired someone that could've scored it in 95.

Giacchino did an okay job with the score, as he has been doing lately. But he was a safe, inoffensive choice. Why not give it to someone that would do something more interesting and less by-the-numbers?

Just a reminder that, when it came to choosing composers, Pixar used to be "bolder", for the lack of a better word.

Hiring Randy Newman in 1995 to do a kid-friendly comedy was certainly an interesting choice, since he was mostly known for his adult movies.

In 2003, Thomas Newman was also a curious choice for Finding Nemo, for his filmography was composed of mostly dramas and suspense for adults. Up until Nemo, I don't think he had done either an adventure movie or even something targeted to children.

On the next year, Giacchino was (ironically) an unexpected choice for The Incredibles. In late 2004, he was known for his videogame and TV scores, and even Lost was in its first season. Disney and Brad Bird surely made a huge gamble by hiring such a newcomer for their big movie.

Almost two decades and countless blockbusters later, he has become "the Pixar guy" (I think he did more movies for them than Randy).

That said, both Soul and Luca had pretty unexpected and "risky" choices for composers, which means some people at Pixar still think outside the box.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Physical edition available tomorrow exclusively at mondoshop.com

ea79ae5803c2ab58732016d328dfca58.jpg

https://gizmodo.com/lightyear-michael-giacchino-score-music-pixar-vinyl-mon-1849084510

Wait, why does it says "Music Composed and Conducted by Michael Giacchino"? Did he conduct the score as well?

I was reading MMUK's review of the score when I came across a big spoiler for the movie, despite the lack of a warning :angry:

You may want to watch it first before reading the review.

13 minutes ago, JNHFan2000 said:

It said that as well on the Jurassic World: Dominion cover. (which is weird, because we saw that he was at the scoring sessions remotely).

The filmtracks review lists Ludwig Wicki, Alfonso Casado and Cliff Masterson as the conductors (!) for this one. Maybe MG conducted the conductors?

22 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

I was reading MMUK's review of the score when I came across a big spoiler for the movie, despite the lack of a warning :angry:

You may want to watch it first before reading the review.

Broxton's reviews are my favourite because unlike Clemmenson (and quite honestly much of JWFan) he actually seems to like current film music and appreciates good, functional scores when we get them .... as opposed to lamenting over every single missed opportunity.

I don't think he likes everything, but he is able to explain good parts about lesser scores.

And it does look like he likes everything, but that's because mostly he writes reviews for score he either loves, likes or doesn't like but appreciate.

In his facebook group he does more smaller reviews in which he goes through more scores, also the ones he doesn't like

1 hour ago, Edmilson said:

Wait, why does it says "Music Composed and Conducted by Michael Giacchino"? Did he conduct the score as well?

Likely the same mistake the graphic designer initially made for Jurassic World 3's cover that was later fixed.  It's extremely unlikely Giacchino conducted this.

1 hour ago, JNHFan2000 said:

It said that as well on the Jurassic World: Dominion cover. 

It only said that on the early version of the cover that came embedded into an early leak of the OST album.  The actual final cover only says "Music By": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2HMK688

23 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Broxton's reviews are my favourite because unlike Clemmenson (and quite honestly much of JWFan) he actually seems to like current film music and appreciates good, functional scores when we get them .... as opposed to lamenting over every single missed opportunity.

Filmtracks gives every other Williams score five stars (except the best ones), quit yer whining. ;)

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Likely the same mistake the graphic designer initially made for Jurassic World 3's cover that was later fixed.  It's extremely unlikely Giacchino conducted this.

It only said that on the early version of the cover that came embedded into an early leak of the OST album.  The actual final cover only says "Music By": https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B2HMK688

considering how these scores were recorded (separately with different sections in different rooms), if he did conduct, he would still have to conduct with bunch of other people

also, mondo has this cover art listed as pending, so any modification is possible

2 hours ago, Drawgoon said:

The filmtracks review lists Ludwig Wicki, Alfonso Casado and Cliff Masterson as the conductors (!) for this one. Maybe MG conducted the conductors?

You have COVID to thank for that. The orchestra was split between Abbey Road studios 1 & 2 with two conductors (THE BATMAN was the same arrangement).

On 18/06/2022 at 9:05 PM, Tydirium said:

What do you mean? Zurg in Toy Story 2 has a distinct 16-note theme that shows up multiple times. I wouldn't call that "musical sounds." It goes by quickly, but if Giacchino wanted to elaborate on it and add a B section or something, he could have done so. Heck, doesn't Buzz already have a theme in the franchise too?

He has completely deteriorated as a composer, imo. I can't remember the last time I was actually excited about a new score of his, and I say that as someone who loved Medal of Honor, Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Up, Lost, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, etc. But there has been a noticeable decline in the quality of his music over the years; the torturous 4-note Batman motif, and now we get stuff like this from him:

What even is that?! It's just simple repeating figures, occasionally going up by a half-step or step. And this isn't the only track he does stuff like this in; listen to a lot of his recent work and it's the same sort of thing. Speaking of simplicity, I'm reminded of his piano piece for that Gloria Cheng album Montage; Williams, Newman, Desplat, Broughton, and Don Davis' pieces all sounded like legit works by good composers, but Giacchino's sounded overly simplistic and amateurish.

I really can't figure out what happened to him. I can't believe that there was once a time when I actually bought into the "He's the next John Williams" hype mindset about him. Maybe he's become spread too thin with so much work, maybe he's out of ideas, bored, or just grown lazy. Or maybe he was always like this and I just didn't realize, but I swear there was a period when he was MUCH better than this.

An explosion in tempo and intensity!

144478BC-6D90-4E35-A2A3-8A2236843A03.png

• 2 months later...
On 16/06/2022 at 7:43 AM, igger6 said:

And for the record, Zootopia’s main theme is optimistic and catchy as heckfire, but it only shows up twice on the boring album for the disappointing film. 

You take that back!

Jk, of course. 

12 hours ago, HyenaBoy said:

You take that back!

Jk, of course. 

Well, of course you're not objective about Zootopia.  As a hyena, you've got skin in the game.

13 hours ago, igger6 said:

Well, of course you're not objective about Zootopia.  As a hyena, you've got skin in the game.

Well, I do liike Disney films that focus on animals. 

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

No it’s 31 tracks, same as the digital. 

Werewolf By Night has 4 bonus tracks on the LP but omits some of the digital release tracks.

The Werewolf LP has tracks that were not on the FIRST digital release (Big Shoes To Fill, Two Lefts Make a Right, All The World's A Cage, World's Worst Makeover), however the SECOND digital release has all those PLUS an exclusive new track (Mane Theme – Piano Arrangement).

The LP also omits 2 tracks that were on the first digital release (Hall of Shame, Cryptic Messages) as well omitting Mane Theme – Piano Arrangement