RIP Ken Wannberg (1930-2022)

TownerFan

Robert Townson posted this on his Facebook page:

Ken Wannberg (1930 – 2022)
Sadly, we have lost one of the most legendary and iconic film music editors of all time.  Kenneth Wannberg, was also a composer himself, best known for his scores for The Philadelphia Experiment, Blame it on Rio (both 1984), Mother Lode (1984) and ‘The Sitter’ episode of Amazing Stories in 1986.  But as a music editor, he worked consistently with John Williams from 1976’s The Missouri Breaks, and 1977’s Star Wars and Close Encounters of the Third Kind, all the way through 2005’s Memoirs of a Geisha and Munich.  Even earlier, he also worked with Williams on Tom Sawyer (1974), The Paper Chase (1973) and Valley of the Dolls in 1967.  There was little time to work with other composers, but Wannberg also worked with Michael Convertino on films including Mother Night (1996), Guarding Tess and The Santa Clause (both 1994), a couple of scores with Alex North (Prizzi’s Honor, 1985 and The Dead, 1987), and with Georges Delerue on Joe Vs. The Volcano (1990) and Beaches (1988).

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Sorry to hear it. I'm still not 100% certain what a music editor does, but I know his contribution was considerable. Also as composer.

Edits music.....? ;)

I recently ordered the Prometheus Ken Wannberg volume 1 CD featuring The Philadelphia Experiment and Motherlode, and will be collecting it tomorrow. Has anyone heard these scores?

On 29/01/2022 at 11:54 PM, chinaismine said:

Every time I see Ken Wannberg's name, I remember this scene from the Revenge of the Sith behind-the-scenes footage of him arguing to make the music noticeable against Ben Burtt's "noisy" sound effects:

RIP

Watched @Manakin Skywalkers upload of this on YouTube last week, that whole "Are you happy Kenny" bit show's how much impact he had, fighting Ben Burtt's overpowering sfx (something Ben would later return to for the original trilogy, practically making John's music inaudible). Ken was definitely missed on the sequel trilogy. Even though he retired after Munich, such a sad loss, my condolences to his family and friends.

• 2 weeks later...