Drama films with Irish content?

filmmusic

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but..

Can anyone recommend any drama films with Irish content, in the vein of, let's say, Angela's ashes?

If it's a period film (first half of 20th century) it would be even better.

The thing that interests me more is the soundtrack.

3 hours ago, filmmusic said:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask this, but..

Can anyone recommend any drama films with Irish content, in the vein of, let's say, Angela's ashes?

If it's a period film (first half of 20th century) it would be even better.

The thing that interests me more is the soundtrack.

You could try THE COMMITTMENTS, or BELFAST, or THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY, or '71.

Ps, of course it's the right place to ask :)

2 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

You could try THE COMMITTMENTS, or BELFAST, or THE WIND THAT SHAKES THE BARLEY, or '71.

Ps, of course it's the right place to ask :)

BELFAST has only songs for soundtrack?

Yes, a lot of Belfast's soundtrack is Van Morrison songs. Good tunes, but nowadays I just kinda wish the mortifying oul bastard wasn't from the same part of the city as me. 

31 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

I can't stand Van Morrison.

Never got the love for his music.

He's a real sour pickle also.

My dad used to be a fan but I can’t say I remember much about his music. I recently read Don Black’s autobiography. I was surprised to discover that Black wrote lyrics for Morrison. I always assumed he was one of those singer/songwriters who wrote all his own stuff and where he did collaborate with someone else it wouldn’t be someone like Don Black!

43 minutes ago, bruce marshall said:

Interesting.

Didn't know Black wrote a book or that he wrote for Van.

I film composer I interviewed told me he was a real jerk!😄😵

His autobiography is fairly new I think. It’s called “The Sanest Guy in the Room”. He’s actually a bit defensive of Morrison. Same of Andrew Lloyd Webber…

Did you mean Don Black was a jerk or Morrison? I always thought Don Black was meant to be one of those nice guys. I sat almost next to him at a concert once. 

I'd imagine Bruce meant Morrison. 

The stories are rife ... from the crowd requesting Brown Eyed Girl at gigs and him storming off stage and not returning and performing entire gigs with his back to the crowd, to the more recent whinging about Covid-driven venue closures/gig postponements and cancellations which seemed to be more driven by the potential effect on his bank balance than frustration at not getting to perform. 

There's 'artistic temperament', and then there's just being an asshole.      

1 hour ago, Sweeping Strings said:

I'd imagine Bruce meant Morrison. 

The stories are rife ... from the crowd requesting Brown Eyed Girl at gigs and him storming off stage and not returning and performing entire gigs with his back to the crowd, to the more recent whinging about Covid-driven venue closures/gig postponements and cancellations which seemed to be more driven by the potential effect on his bank balance than frustration at not getting to perform. 

There's 'artistic temperament', and then there's just being an asshole.      

I think you’re probably right! He does sound like a bit of a douche… not sure why Don Black felt the need to make a point of defending him!

On 02/02/2022 at 11:32 AM, Edmilson said:

Speaking of Williams, has anyone suggested Far and Away yet?

Well, this isn't so much of a drama, that's why I didn't mention it.

There is also this, but haven't listened to it yet (I'm not registered in spotify).

https://open.spotify.com/album/2S7xcEZ8Xgh3xOxk4GkCCi

10 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Titanic is also a drama and it has Irish music... Or is it Celtic? Anyway, it does have music from somewhere in the UK.

It could be Irish, Welsh, or Scottish.

In TITANIC's case, it's definitely Irish, as the music represents where the ship was built.

14 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Titanic is also a drama and it has Irish music... Or is it Celtic? Anyway, it does have music from somewhere in the UK.

Careful…

I've never really thought of ANGELA'S ASHES as an "Irish-sounding" score, even though it obviously has some of those elements. More a mix between British pastoral music and -- towards the end -- wide-open Americana.

But of those not mentioned so far, shout-outs to WILD MOUNTAIN THYME (Amelia Warner), CALVARY (Patrick Cassidy) and DURANGO (Mark McKenzie).

Fenton's HIGH SPIRITS, but that's more fantasy and less drama. Horner's PATRIOT GAMES, but more thriller than drama.

There's also the film music album that The Chieftains did (also their own scores, not just performances of other people's scores), but that's probably TOO folksy in this context.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I've never really thought of ANGELA'S ASHES as an "Irish-sounding" score

Well, in my original post I was looking for soundtracks of films with Irish content, not particularly Irish-sounding music.

The title of the thread was written by someone else, probably @Jay?

On 02/02/2022 at 11:32 AM, Edmilson said:

Speaking of Williams, has anyone suggested Far and Away yet?

On 02/02/2022 at 11:48 AM, filmmusic said:

Well, this isn't so much of a drama, that's why I didn't mention it.

4 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

What about THE CRYING GAME, ANGEL, THE BUTCHER BOY, and HIGH SPIRITS?

I loved Butcher Boy, and I love the score, but I wouldn't call it a drama score.