Richard Kaufman Conducts 2 John Williams Tribute Concerts in Dublin

mahler3

5 minutes ago, Tom said:

The Rise of Skywalker!

That would be the world (concert) premiere, right?

If we weren't still in the midst of a pandemic, I'd fly to Dublin just for Summon the Heroes:crymore:

Tickets bought for the Saturday! Very much looking forward to you pre-concert talk Tim, and of course to many of the pieces which I've never heard live before - Geisha, Minority Report, Cowboys, BFG and Rise of Skywalker!  Promises to be an excellent evening!

Wow, what a neat line up.

I love the groupings too - it feels like mini-themes especially with the Indiana Jones 1st half end and the Star Wars 2nd half one. And coming back into half 2 with a nice long cowboys suite is cool.

I would guess ET and Imperial March for encores should there be ones.

That is almost worth flying to Dublin for!

ARRR, how much are they selling harry potter boxset for? So annoying, thats top of my bucket list!  They sell for daft money on ebay and discogs and the like!  If anyone can buy one there for a decent price and sell it to me please!

21 hours ago, Antonb said:

ARRR, how much are they selling harry potter boxset for? So annoying, thats top of my bucket list!  They sell for daft money on ebay and discogs and the like!  If anyone can buy one there for a decent price and sell it to me please!

The music shop in the lobby will be selling these at the market price dictated by LLL.

Admittedly the purpose of making these available is more for the wider public who wouldn’t normally see these in shops, but I wanted to let all of you know out of courtesy.

• 3 weeks later...

Time for some random thoughts. I loved Richard Kaufman’s speeches, though I got tired of the other guy in the end, who claimed Lincoln was a 2013 film and the intermission cue was called With Malice Towards No One.

There were some flubs and timing issues (I must do Jurassic Shark this honour), but I also must say that the sense of joy I felt in nearly every piece more than made up for that.

On to the pieces themselves. Is that the officially published version of Sayuri’s theme? I love the distribution of the cello notes across the woodwinds. Speaking of which, they were easily the best section of the orchestra.

Minority Report was good too, but why can’t Williams just publish it? He recorded it for the Spielberg album so he can’t be that unhappy with it.

The mix of the YouTube stream was incredibly detailed. I discovered new counterpoint material in Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra and lots of piano and trombone work in Jaws (really amazing performance there), but Marion’s theme right before Raiders March still does not work.

And again, whenever did JW record Jane Eyre with that German orchestra (intermission?) Those cellos in At Lowood were amazing!

The Cowboys love theme sounds an awful lot like Superman’s march and the tambourine player in Harry’s wondrous World was alarmingly close to the microphone. Hal Leonard really should re-print this score to include that fabled ritardando from Berlin too. Kaufman did one, but it wasn’t as good.

And why does that BFG suite change every time they play it live somewhere? Why was it so short? No one beats Dirk Brossé’s LSO version either. Oh, and can I just say how cute it was to hear an Irish audience say ‘big friendly giant’? I miss Ireland.

I loved how Kaufman took the Jurassic Park fanfare so fast and I still think The Forest Battle is an utterly unnecessary concert arrangement, whether I heard new details in it tonight or not. I’m also very happy JW didn’t go for a bombastic ending for TROS: I was afraid he would give it an ending like the concert one for the TFA suite, which really didn’t work for me and felt too similar to ANH. The main titles also started out very fast, but then they briefly went Viennese (shame!) and when they switched to C major, they inexplicably slowed down too. The very fast rendition of the flying theme, though, was a  perfect end to the evening.

Jane Eyre is a London recording, presumably he got confused with Heidi which was a mixture of London and Germany.

It was a fantastic day and looking forward to doing it all over again tomorrow! 

Here are some photos and the pre-concert talk will be hosted at The Legacy of John Williams soon along with exclusive videos.53B4327F-FA98-4995-A9F3-0AB9ED896434.jpeg180C6FC9-4FF3-4D94-9F8F-26DDD88D7194.jpegA3AA8AE3-85BF-4DB2-AD5F-452E08D1E004.jpeg95869B36-E67E-4EE1-8AF8-82B4BB8896A5.jpegDD29F287-EE5C-4F96-ADB3-DFD21A3A57AC.jpeg7BE2E3E6-1C90-4E58-98FB-B765AA85E292.jpegA582CC0B-2EAB-40DC-BB87-BA56E586019A.jpegD924A7BF-B258-4D9A-A132-E494D25CFD32.jpeg1A069A30-1E10-45B0-8388-65B35A8E4491.jpeg

Wow, for all the Geisha recordings I thought I was aware of, I’m not super-familiar with this arrangement. Does anyone know a recorded version of this concert suite?

By the way, two pieces in, I’d buy a Blu-Ray of this concert in a heartbeat.

And for the record, I think the updated concert ending to TFA is a masterstroke. It’s like Williams reached Giacchino levels of fanboy glee for thirty seconds.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Oh yes, absolutely sure it wasn't the Boston Pops suite. I've never heard At Lowood played like that. And it wasn't LLL either. The last track had some distortion, though.

Maybe it was the Charles Gerhardt rendition from the 1970s? I’ll listen to the stream Mon.

18 hours ago, igger6 said:

Wow, for all the Geisha recordings I thought I was aware of, I’m not super-familiar with this arrangement. Does anyone know a recorded version of this concert suite?

I could be mistaken, but I think this was the first "concert" piece from the movie Williams would perform.  Once he put together the full Cello suite, the first movement of that become the standard.  I do not believe that it has been recorded.  

I was lucky to attend the Saturday performance in the flesh. It was a real treat to hear the NSO and Kaufman play so many pieces I'd never heard live before: Minority Report, Cowboys, Geisha, BFG, TROS. But it was Jaws that really blew me away. It seems all the more visceral and terrifying in the flesh. And as ever with Williams concerts, it was wonderful to see how diverse the audience was, and that it was basically sold out! Hats off to the NSO! And also Richard Kaufman and Tim Burden, who gave an immensely entertaining and informative pre-concert talk (which also featured a beautiful introductory video full of great pictures and quotes from JW)! 

Rise of Skywalker is such an exceptionally beautiful concert piece. I was hoping the concert hall version might be more distinct than the OST version though. I also thought he might have written a more developed "suite" 

I just wish Williams would conduct it in Vienna especially since the horns/trumpets are so beautiful there.

That would be awesome, but I think the age of unpredictable encores (read: encores that weren't written between '77 and '82) are over.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/02/2022 at 1:11 PM, bollemanneke said:

Oh yes, absolutely sure it wasn't the Boston Pops suite. I've never heard At Lowood played like that. And it wasn't LLL either. The last track had some distortion, though.

It says "West german radio symphony orchestra under the direction of John Williams himself." How can that be? I've never heard that recording. The record must be from the 80s, but somehow I doubt it was Williams himself conducting. 

Yeah, I heard that credit, too, and wrote it off as a mistake.

• 1 month later...

Following on from the John Williams 90th birthday concert, the RTÉ Concert Orchestra played music from all nine Star Wars films under Stephen Bell (who played for JW on AotC and RoS), in full Vader regalia, to celebrate May the Fourth. A welcomed return of what had nearly become an annual event at the national concert hall until Covid cancellations in 2020/21. Apparently this was a world first programme containing music from all nine films [?], although I've no way of verifying this.

The concert was recorded and should be available on RTÉ Lyric FM at some stage.

Programme included:

20th Century Fox Fanfare + Main Title

TPM - The Flag Parade, Anakins Theme, Duel of the Fates [without a choir sadly]

AotC - Across the Stars

RoS - Battle of the Heroes

ANH - Here They Come, Princess Leia's Theme

ESB - Imperial March, Yoda's Theme, Asteroid Field

RotJ -Luke and Leia, Parade of the Ewoks

TFA - Rey's Theme, Scherzo for X-Wings, The Jedi Steps (some concert arrangement which I'd never heard before, I'm used to it leading into the credits)

TLJ - Rebellion is Reborn

TRoS - The Rise of Skywalker

Throne Room and Finale