Concertgebouw Orchestra finally plays Williams

Steve

I had a listen to the Star Wars excerpts and the Korngold — fantastic stuff. I've only ever heard the 20th Century Fox fanfare live once before, so this is a real treat 😁

Forgive my rank heresy, but the execution on the Star Wars fanfare is so tight that (in my book) they have an edge over JW himself leading the Wiener Philharmoniker.

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

JW's leading wasn't the problem there...

Could you please expand on that? Listening again to the Vienna Philharmonic, my only big gripe is around 00:20 when the trumpets suddenly decide to lag behind ~half a beat or so. There are other smaller moments when I'm not sure if it is "togetherness" issues or if it's some artistic decision I don't understand.

12 minutes ago, j39m said:

my only big gripe is around 00:20 when the trumpets suddenly decide to lag behind ~half a beat or so.

I just don't think JW is to blame for such mistakes. When playing in a leading orchestra, they should be able to count the beats in a bar.

Sorry, my phrasing was off. I should have said, "I agree that JW is blameless here, so I'm curious if this was just a one-off fluke or something else." Perhaps I attach a bit too much prestige to DG / the Vienna Philharmonic 😆

My main problem with the Wiener performances is the timing issues and weird tempos, the latter like JW is holding back because he don't want the players to mess up further. Both are exemplified in the Jaws track.

11 hours ago, j39m said:

Could you please expand on that? Listening again to the Vienna Philharmonic, my only big gripe is around 00:20 when the trumpets suddenly decide to lag behind ~half a beat or so. There are other smaller moments when I'm not sure if it is "togetherness" issues or if it's some artistic decision I don't understand.

My interpretation is that the snare drummer rushed the repeat section of the theme. Mr. Williams took a slightly slower tempo, but the percussionist simply didn't watch the conductor... and received a stern look for his mistake.

I would assume the same player missed his entrance in The Imperial March at the start of the final third of the piece. (This guy sure had a rough day at work!)

On 02/02/2022 at 9:05 PM, Steve said:

It finally happened this year:

3 Star Wars pieces 

Adventures on earth

Really great performance, such a superb orchestra and I have to admit a bit tighter than the Vienna performance... still waiting for Berlin to come through. Although annoyingly since I played these over the weekend, they have become "unavailable - this video is private" - odd.

13 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

My main problem with the Wiener performances is the timing issues and weird tempos, the latter like JW is holding back because he don't want the players to mess up further. Both are exemplified in the Jaws track.

You guys read not very knowledgeable about the way Vienna Phil plays classical music, their tradition. Many of you come from a background of metronomes in click tracks apparently. Vienna, first of all an opera orchestra, is known for their "freedom" in phrasing and agogic, which can mean, just like at the infamous 20 seconds trumpet place, that the leading voice sings a bit freely, while the rest of the orchestra keeps the pulse. It's called rubato. ;-) It happens all the time in opera.
As for Jaws, yes, that is a very difficult score to perform, and Vienna could have used one more rehearsal for that for sure. Remember that for film scoring, JW gets about three hours of recording time for 8 minutes of music. Plenty of time to get it perfect. But here Vienna probably did not have much more rehearsal time than playing it through two or three times.
JW's stern look is partly also due to him not being used that himself. He is not an opera conductor in Vienna after all. 
You guys have to stop bickering about such silly nonsense and embrace Vienna's freedom and musicality. It's so refreshing over some of these machine orchestras in the top league, I do not say names now... ;-)

1 minute ago, Lord Montague said:

You guys read not very knowledgeable about the way Vienna Phil plays classical music, their tradition. Many of you come from a background of metronomes in click tracks apparently. Vienna, first of all an opera orchestra, is known for their "freedom" in phrasing and agogic, which can mean, just like at the infamous 20 seconds trumpet place, that the leading voice sings a bit freely, while the rest of the orchestra keeps the pulse. It's called rubato. ;-)

I love many recordings with the VPO, and this is not how they usually do rubato... ;)

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I love many recordings with the VPO, and this is not how they usually do rubato... ;)

Oh they do that all the time. Plenty of recordings. Just not too many with a steady snare drum beat underneath. :-)

8 hours ago, Lord Montague said:

You guys read not very knowledgeable about the way Vienna Phil plays classical music, their tradition. Many of you come from a background of metronomes in click tracks apparently. Vienna, first of all an opera orchestra, is known for their "freedom" in phrasing and agogic, which can mean, just like at the infamous 20 seconds trumpet place, that the leading voice sings a bit freely, while the rest of the orchestra keeps the pulse. It's called rubato. ;-) It happens all the time in opera.
As for Jaws, yes, that is a very difficult score to perform, and Vienna could have used one more rehearsal for that for sure. Remember that for film scoring, JW gets about three hours of recording time for 8 minutes of music. Plenty of time to get it perfect. But here Vienna probably did not have much more rehearsal time than playing it through two or three times.
JW's stern look is partly also due to him not being used that himself. He is not an opera conductor in Vienna after all. 
You guys have to stop bickering about such silly nonsense and embrace Vienna's freedom and musicality. It's so refreshing over some of these machine orchestras in the top league, I do not say names now... ;-)

Please learn the difference between 'not playing together' and 'rubato'.