Beijing Winter Olympics music.

zoltan_902

I've watched Olympic coverage via NBC and its other networks the past two nights and it's been pretty much all JW for the interstitials as per usual.  Summon the Heroes is by far the most common one used but I've heard the original Olympic Fanfare some as well.

3 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Did anybody else think the musical choices during the procession was a weird selection?

I think this is far from the first time that Olympics are doing selections from the classical repertoire, but I'd have liked something more unique, like the pieces in Tokyo Olympics. Maybe some actual Chinese classical music would've been better.

What was annoying is that the pieces started repeating after a while. They should have covered the whole procession with music, rather than half of it, and then looping it back from the beginning.

Actually, if you really listen to it its in the exact same key as well and seems the same orchestration, with just some bits cut out and the second response in the trombones to the trumpet call is put in the trumpets. But clearly the same.

The "composer" is basically an academic from China Communications University in Beijing. He has done film stuff but nothing really of interest, as you can see in his music here, and most likely got that gig because he knew somebody important not because his music is nay good (clearly). They should have called Tan Dun, now that would have been at least interesting.

6 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

Apparently he's just known as "Professor Li"

I'll try asking some musician friends in Beijing if they know anything about this. The Olympics should have safeguards against this kind of stuff, particularly when the CE3K theme is relatively well known. Whomever vetted the submitted music wasn't doing their job properly, and the composer should be ashamed.

In any case, John Williams and his legal team should be informed about this. They definitely have a plagiarism case here imo.

24 minutes ago, Biodome said:

I'll try asking some musician friends in Beijing if they know anything about this. The Olympics should have safeguards against this kind of stuff, particularly when the CE3K theme is relatively well known. Whomever vetted the submitted music wasn't doing their job properly, and the composer should be ashamed.

In any case, John Williams and his legal team should be informed about this. They definitely have a plagiarism case here imo.

Well that isn't really.... how that works. First, yes annoying and very just cheap but realistically besides this nerd page and some other fans who were paying attention at that moment, very few people probably noticed. So who in actuality would be around to safeguard this? I don't think they are going to waste time or money to collect a bunch of musicologists to go through all the music used to determine authenticity, which given they are musicologist, will probably get wrong anyway.

And let us not forget John has done the same himself- the one that always comes to mind for me is in A New Hope when C3PO and R2 are walking through the desert which is the opening of act two in the Rite of Spring. Temp track used there or not it still ended up there and he still wrote his own version of it. Stravinsky himself said great artists steal. 

The other part is, you can't just say I'm going to throw a legal case at somebody, and it's especially tedious here to do such a thing. I don't think any lawyer on earth would do anything less than immediately say no, in addition the legal case would only stand up in China where the event occurred.

Most importantly, I would literally bet every organ inside my body that Williams himself wouldn't care in the slightest.

28 minutes ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

but realistically besides this nerd page and some other fans who were paying attention at that moment, very few people probably noticed.

One doesn't need to be a nerd or fan to recognize CE3K music, as it's a worldwide blockbuster film. Spielberg's works are popular everywhere, China included. I agree that catching all instances of plagiarism is practically impossible, but as we're talking about a known theme and a big global event like the Olympics, I still think they could've done better.

And let us not forget John has done the same himself- the one that always comes to mind for me is in A New Hope when C3PO and R2 are walking through the desert which is the opening of act two in the Rite of Spring. Temp track used there or not it still ended up there and he still wrote his own version of it. Stravinsky himself said great artists steal.

John Williams does recognize Stravinsky's influence in his score for Star Wars, so it's no secret. Besides, Stravinsky had been dead for several years, and by then The Rite of Spring had long entered the Western classical canon. So one could describe that track as a homage, rather than nefarious plagiarism.

The other part is, you can't just say I'm going to throw a legal case at somebody, and it's especially tedious here to do such a thing. I don't think any lawyer on earth would do anything less than immediately say no, in addition the legal case would only stand up in China where the event occurred.

Even if one doesn't want to engage with China’s legal system, one can still publicly point out plagiarism and ask for an apology. Chinese people hate being lied to, they hate plagiarism, and they have a cancel/shaming culture for those kinds of things, especially seen in social media. It wasn't some random school concert, it was the Olympics, watched by hundreds of millions of people worldwide. John Williams himself is a musical icon in the Olympics. He deserves appropriate credit whenever his music is used in such a context.

Most importantly, I would literally bet every organ inside my body that Williams himself wouldn't care in the slightest.

I wouldn't be surprised by this. Admittedly, I'm writing all of this as a fan, and I realize I might be far more zealous about his music and its recognition than he is.

They're REALLY using Williams Summon the Heroes and Olympic Fanfare  this time. Not just brief snippets before commercials but large sections of the pieces many times during each broadcasts, basically over every montage.

To sum it up they use larger sections of Olympic fanfare,Prime Time Tease  and Summon the Heroes (including the alternate "basketball" and "soccer" recordings)  extensively over the broadcast but they never use the original commercial bumpers anymore. And they used Dramatic Tease once

I also never heard Call of the Champions