Ghostbusters Ultimate Collection

JohnnyD

Any thoughts on the new transfer of the first two films? Anyone get into the bonus features? There is a lot to dig into. I’m glad Sony did not include the awful 2016 reboot (which I did not see nor will I). I like the packaging as well; the trap lighting up inside is a nice touch, and the slip cases are nice.

58 minutes ago, JohnnyD said:

To anyone it may concern: 

I recently acquired the Ghostbusters Ultimate Collection gift box set (includes Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters II and Ghostbusters: Afterlife) on Tuesday upon delivery from Amazon. However, upon opening the set, inside the slip case for Ghostbusters (1984) was the regular Blu-Ray disc for the film and the 4K Blu-Ray disc for Ghostbusters II (1989) instead of the 4K disc for Ghostbusters (1984). Everything else is included in its proper place in the set, but I got two 4K discs for Ghostbusters II instead of one 4K disc for Ghostbusters and one 4K disc for Ghostbusters II. I’ve seen that others who got the set received duplicate 4K discs for the first film. If you happen to be one of those people, I will gladly trade the duplicate 4K disc to Ghostbusters II (1989) in exchange for the 4K disc for Ghostbusters (1984) that was suppose to be included in the gift box set. Please let me know; thank you.

I’m sure that Sony will (eventually) issue a replacement for you if you contact them!

I haven't had a chance to watch anything yet, but the light up trap was a great surprise.  I'm excited to dive into everything soon.

Got mine last weekend. I watched the preview cut of the first one then GB II and Afterlife in 4K and they both looked great, but I don't have Dolby Vision so not sure how much better they can look compared to the 35th anniversary release. The box is great, but I'm in the UK so no lights or slipcases. There's so much to go through for the special features, done the Dana Auditions, the new GB II deleted scenes which didn't really offer much, the sole Afterlife deleted scene (which is only on the Afterlife Blu-ray). The real treat was the GBI preview cut, getting to see it in such a raw state, the deleted/extended/alternate scenes how they worked in the film before they trimmed the fat, nothing was certainly lost with the cut's made, it's just a great peak behind the curtain on how the film really came together. List of difference's that I noticed 

Spoiler

the deleted/extended scenes that are still included are:

•the Nobel prize aspirations/Dean Yeager

•Peter in Dana's apartment

•leaving the Sedgwick hotel

•extra and alternate footage in the ghost busting montage including

- the ecto-1 getting a ticket

- Janine bringing Egon a drink while he works on a trap

- Ray next to a machine and drinking a beer

- Janine coming back to Egon

- more shots of them in bed and getting woken up by the bell and heading out (with a lady friend getting up and watch them leave)

- the guy's working on the Ecto-1 engine while out in the city

•the full interview for Winston

•Louis and the hooker

•Janine's lucky coin

•Peck yelling at the cop

•and Dana's "No Louis" in the aftermath.

The extended bits and pieces, which are only a couple of extra line's here and there:

•Peter asking Ray what he's seen with his own eye's as they walk into the library

•Ray getting excited when talking with the librarian about the ghost

•the estate agent telling them the square footage of the firehouse (with Egon correcting her on the exact footage), her asking the name of the business

•there's a extra shot or two of the eggs as they jump out of their shells on Dana's counter

•Peter and Ray continue talking after Ray say's how much the Ecto-1 cost

•Peter leans in and sniff's Dana's hair before suggesting they investigate her apartment

•Peter say's something about dancing and getting helped up by Ray before they go to the ballroom

•Peter telling the cop he has to find Louis after the protection grid is turned off (Peck suggests they've used drugs on Louis) •some extra shots of Louis walking through the city and the taxi with the dead driver is extended.

There's some alternate takes and some of the final takes have the original audio before ADR. There's also some stuff missing, a few quick bits really and obviously no special effects or score/soundtrack.

Okay, I just finished the preview cut with a few thoughts.

• It was interesting watching this version of the film without any of the added visual effects.  I never truly paid attention to the practical effects because everything seemed pretty seamless but this helped increase my appreciation that much more.
  • Watching the film without the music made me realize how truly hokey some scenes are.  The seriousness of the music really elevated it.
  • I felt even more sorry for Louis, poor guy.
  • Some of the extended scenes did add a tad bit more to the story including some character development, for Janine in particular.
  • Seeing the rooftop scene prior to all the visual effects also helped bring out the architecture and great detail that went into building it
  • I was thrown off hearing a change in so many lines, redone later, that I have known way too well over the years. One scene in particular when stepping out of the ballroom.

I'm going to wait a while before I watch the theatrical version so I don't spend much of the next time noticing the visual effects more than enjoying the story.

Did anybody watch the preview cut with commentary on?  Did it add much?

19 hours ago, rough cut said:

So for Ghostbusters in the set, it’s the same transfer as the previously issued 4K disc, but they’ve added Dolby Vision which is new?

That was my understanding, I don't really keep up with these things and hadn't heard of Dolby Vision till this set came out so no idea what it is, there's no mention of a new transfer anywhere so just assumed it was the same as the previous 4K release.

I bought a new TV about a year ago and made sure it had Dolby Vision as I’d heard it was superior to HDR10 (I guess the jury’s out on HDR10+).

Knowing I can take advantage of DV I am always a little bit extra glad when I pick up a disc and it has DV.

On another note, it should be appreciated by the people here on the forum (that I haven’t seen discussed, but maybe I missed it) is that the new Ghostbusters disc on the set has the original theatrical stereo soundtrack included.

If only they could release it in a normal box without all that plastic and lights and lower the price a bit… Or better yet, just a stand alone release of the first movie!

• 4 weeks later...