Jump to content

John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022


carlborg

Recommended Posts

WOW! The man isn't slowing down... marvellous stuff, JW!

 

Unfortunately think this is too last minute to attend, especially with travel restrictions :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

But this time the program should then be limited only to the violin concerto and a few film music pieces that he has not yet played in Vienna! So we don't get just a best-of concert, but also to hear something different, maybe more serious stuff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is it too early to start guessing the set list? I'm thinking there won't be much overlap with the first Vienna concert or Berlin, but it's hard to say with JW... I guess staples like The Imperial March or Raiders March could return as encores (the latter being fresh on his mind, obviously).

 

I reckon Long Goodbye and VC #2 are shoe-ins, though. Han Solo and the Princess would be a god-tier inclusion.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hooray!

1 minute ago, crypto said:

Is it too early to start guessing the set list? I'm thinking there won't be much overlap with the first Vienna concert or Berlin, but it's hard to say with JW...

 

The concert is already in just over a month!!! So let's get going!

Oh man, I really want to hear han and princess in good quality!!! It has such atypical harmony turns, it was kind of atypical for JW, but exactly what I expected!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Fantastic news and cool program! I don't know if I will be able to come this time, but I hope that they are going to record the concert and release it on blu-ray. I think Marion, Resistance and Princess Leia will be performed with Mutter as the soloist.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, carlborg said:

A recording of VC no.2 by the Vienna Phil would be amazing!

Definitely, but it just was recorded by DG in Boston last October, with both ASM and JW, to be released later this year as far as we know.
From the film music themes in Vienna in March, only 
-Fawkes the Phoenix (Harry Potter)
-March of the Resistance (SW)
-Princess Leia's Theme (SW)
and maybe one of the encores (?) are not previously recorded by DG. 

So probably  not happening, but we will see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think this will be released, because the Vienna Phil played only Marion's Theme at the 'John Williams in Vienna' concert, so there is no doubling of the pieces. Hopefully they play the normal orchestra arrangement of Hedwig's Theme this time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, gewittawoikal said:

  grafik.pngProgram

Cant wait for the Vienna Horns  to blast again!!!  I think I prefer the sound of Vienna over Berlin. But fabulous news !!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

I think this will be released, because the Vienna Phil played only Marion's Theme at the 'John Williams in Vienna' concert, so there is no doubling of the pieces. Hopefully they play the normal orchestra arrangement of Hedwig's Theme this time.

Also Superman March was played last time. But from the Vienna audience perspective you are right, very little doubling. And if Marion's Theme this time is played with ASM, and Hedwig without, then there are no other doublings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Lord Montague said:

Definitely, but it just was recorded by DG in Boston last October, with both ASM and JW, to be released later this year as far as we know.
From the film music themes in Vienna in March, only 
-Fawkes the Phoenix (Harry Potter)
-March of the Resistance (SW)
-Princess Leia's Theme (SW)
and maybe one of the encores (?) are not previously recorded by DG. 

So probably  not happening, but we will see.

Hopefully they will come around- These titles are big sellers. Besides calling it John Williams Birthday Celeberation Concert would be a great way to package the set!!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would have preferred a program without film themes, only some encores, this time with Vienna. I feel JW is missing an opportunity to get some of his less popular non-film scores the attention they deserve with one of the world's best orchestras.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was wondering if this is still happening, and when. Now the question is again: Get a Musikfreunde membership so I can buy tickets tomorrow, or wait until Thursday?

 

4 minutes ago, Lord Montague said:

Also Superman March was played last time.

 

In Berlin, not in Vienna.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Lord Montague said:

Also Superman March was played last time. But from the Vienna audience perspective you are right, very little doubling. And if Marion's Theme this time is played with ASM, and Hedwig without, then there are no other doublings.

Superman in Vienna last time?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Too similar to the Berlin program unfortunately. Why always Marions Theme? He must really love it. Would be nice to know which titles are the violin versions and which the normal ones.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

I was wondering if this is still happening, and when. Now the question is again: Get a Musikfreunde membership so I can buy tickets tomorrow, or wait until Thursday?

 

 

I just bought my membership :)  

 

This is just incredible. The man really doesn't have the remotest intention of slowing down. It goes without saying that I will do my best to be there even on such a short notice (luckily it's a weekend, so much better to organize even as a quick turnaround).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Steve said:

Too similar to the Berlin program unfortunately. Why always Marions Theme? He must really love it. Would be nice to know which titles are the violin versions and which the normal ones.

 

Mutter will likely do an encore after the Violin Concerto and perhaps a couple more at the end the second half. The VC #2 is a beast to perform.

 

4 minutes ago, Lord Montague said:

Yes, as encore. And it's on the DG Vienna recording.

 

He didn't perform Superman in Vienna.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Wait a moment, did I miss the setlist or something? Or is it in that image?

PROGRAMM

  • John Williams

    Sound the Bells!
  • Konzert für Violine Nr. 2
  • — Pause —
  • John Williams

    Superman March
  • Hedwigs Thema aus "Harry Potter"
  • Fawkes the Phoenix aus "Harry Potter"
  • Harry's Wondrous World aus "Harry Potter"
  • Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra aus "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"
  • Marion’s Thema aus „Raiders of the Lost Ark“
  • March of the Resistance aus „Star Wars“
  • Princess Leia's Theme aus "Star Wars"
  • Throne Room and End Title aus "Star Wars"
     
     
Link to comment
Share on other sites

March of the resistance with the Vienna players? Yes please. Even if the tempo is too slow for my taste, the imperial march recording from the last Vienna concert is simply the best rendition I've heard. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Oh no.

I love the program, but why always only the greatest hits over and over again? There is so much beautiful what you can still hear!

 

Agreed, but I suppose it's about attracting the big crowds. However, for these things, the music plays almost no role to me. It's about seeing and experiencing the man himself live.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Oh no.

I love the program, but why always only the greatest hits over and over again? There is so much beautiful what you can still hear!

Agreed, but he is very busy composing these days AFAIK, so not too many scores he didn't perform recently anyway seem just reasonable for reducing the workload in preparation.
It's a bit of a double headed animal though, that concert. The hardcore JW fans, who again would kill their grandmas to get tickets, will not care much about the great but modernist violin concerto.
A bit more courage would have been nice to perform less popular (read non-film) scores by the master.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines.