John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

23 minutes ago, crypto said:

Wow, that's certainly depressing. Especially when tickets were available at such short notice and international travel is so challenging.

Musikverein has/is no Digital Concert Hall.

A traditional Konzertkassa aims to secure physical ticket sales and has no interest in third-party recordings or streams that aim to replace the live act, unless they would cash-in behind a paywall (like in Berlin).

4 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

A traditional Konzertkassa aims to secure physical ticket sales and has no interest in third-party recordings or streams that aim to replace the live act, unless they would cash-in behind a paywall (like in Berlin).

Yes, but still there are a lot of recordings in the Musikverein. And the Blu-ray from Williams' previous visit became a bestseller.

10 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Just e-mail DG?

There must be plans for recording this . Even a single CD with the March of the Resistance would sell like hot Schnitzel.

There could, however, be an internal conflict with the existing VC 2 premier recording and Across the Stars part 2.

I mean, markets tend to saturate.

4 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

I think the Berlin Phil is a few years ahead with their Digital Concert Hall and archiving every concert in it. Because the Vienna Phil has no such thing, I don't think a recording would reduce interest in attending the concert live. It would still sell I think. But at least an audio recording would be nice to have, released at the end of this year, for example. It complements the first album nicely.

2 minutes ago, BB-8 said:

There could, however, be an internal conflict with the existing VC 2 premier recording and Across the Stars part 2.

This could be the issue here.

4 minutes ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

I think the Berlin Phil is a few years ahead with their Digital Concert Hall and archiving every concert in it. Because the Vienna Phil has no such thing, I don't think a recording would reduce interest in attending the concert live. It would still sell I think. But at least an audio recording would be nice to have, released at the end of this year, for example. It complements the first album nicely.

This could be the issue here.

Yeah, maybe just a nice single CD release of Sound the Bells and the second half of the concert, and a separate release with two versions of VC2.

2 hours ago, Coco314 said:

Thanks very much for your feedback Miguel.

Unfortunately I tried 3 times yesterday to no avail, received nothing  whatsoever from my bank, gave up and went to bed.

Retried this morning (one last seat at Parterre), same thing :-(

I guess I'll take this as a sign it was not the most reasonable thing to do given my March schedule... (may be I'll have more luck for Milan when/if it comes back, and the program is more film music oriented for me). 

Have you tried contacting them? Also, people have reported problems with ad blockers (try disabling it if you have one).

Usually you can pick the up right before the concert. I believe they restricted that at some point during the pandemic (to prevent too many people from flooding the ticket office at the same time), but I'm not sure if that restriction is still in place.

PS: They're redesigned their ticket template since the last concert. The new tickets don't look half as valuable as the old ones.

2 hours ago, BB-8 said:

Yeah, maybe just a nice single CD release of Sound the Bells and the second half of the concert, and a separate release with two versions of VC2.

It's also possible that they have already planned to record a video of the Carnegie Hall concert and don't want to change that.

45 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

It's also possible that they have already planned to record a video of the Carnegie Hall concert and don't want to change that.

That would be nice too. The lack of live concerts with Williams and american orchestras seems weird.

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Usually you can pick the up right before the concert. I believe they restricted that at some point during the pandemic (to prevent too many people from flooding the ticket office at the same time), but I'm not sure if that restriction is still in place.

PS: They're redesigned their ticket template since the last concert. The new tickets don't look half as valuable as the old ones.

I also think that the current programme book and magazines look cheaper than the old ones.

Question before the rush tomorrow: Is there any member here, who's a member there, who'd be willing and able to purchase or part with two standing tickets for either concert?

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Question before the rush tomorrow: Is there any member here, who's a member there, who'd be willing and able to purchase or part with two standing tickets for either concert?

Standing tickets are currently listed as "sold out", so you'll have to wait until tomorrow (or later) anyway to see if any more become available.

Well, this has certainly put an unexpected dent in my finances. I'm already attending two Berlin Philharmonic subscription series, and I have a trip to Dublin for the Hans Zimmer concert in March. If John Williams keeps doing surprise concerts in Europe like this, I will go bankrupt. It will be absolutely worth it, though.

14 minutes ago, lairdo said:

Well, the Berlin Phil has run their platform for over 10 years, but only the pandemic caused other orchestras to really catch up - Boston and Seattle for example. I think some orchestras go through sites such as medici.tv which mix material from a lot of genres and venues.

Its nice to hear that more orchestras make their performances accessible, hopefully this will continue, the demand is there I think.

28 minutes ago, lairdo said:

I do agree that DG is unlikely to release two JW similar albums with the Violin Concerto No. 2. The piece is too long and they do not want confusion in the market place about different releases so close together.

Agreed.

22 minutes ago, lairdo said:

I do think that we will also get a "Live in Vienna 2" - but video (and maybe Blu-ray Audio) only. No CD or Digital release. I think this will be available after the various streaming and TV versions happen of the concert. (It's possible Carnegie Hall might be recorded instead, but I somehow think the Vienna Phil would have a higher marketability than Philadelphia - no offense to Philly!)

Further, I would expect we will get the Washington DC June Concert and the Tanglewood August one too. Those will likely be streamed or aired soon thereafter.

I'm not sure, because setting up the cameras in the Musikverein seemed to be a really big deal last time with all the camera crew involved. In contrast, just an audio recording should be quite easy. I mean obviously most people would like some sort of release, even if it's months later, than no release at all. So it sucks that the Vienna Phil does not have a Digital Concert Hall equivalent.

But anyways, if they decide to not record this second Vienna concert, then that's how it is. So much great stuff coming up this year that's still not officially announced:w00t:.

1 hour ago, Biodome said:

If John Williams keeps doing surprise concerts in Europe like this, I will go bankrupt. It will be absolutely worth it, though.

Quite right.  I felt like we waited so long here in Europe that I, like you, want to make the most of it. 

It’s magical somehow to see him over here.

1 hour ago, Biodome said:

Well, this has certainly put an unexpected dent in my finances. I'm already attending two Berlin Philharmonic subscription series, and I have a trip to Dublin for the Hans Zimmer concert in March. If John Williams keeps doing surprise concerts in Europe like this, I will go bankrupt. It will be absolutely worth it, though.

Are you still attending all the concerts? I've been weighing up trying to make it over for one or two. Was thinking about dropping you a line!

27 minutes ago, bigjimwilson said:

Are you still attending all the concerts? I've been weighing up trying to make it over for one or two. Was thinking about dropping you a line!

Yes, I try to attend all of them, especially the ones during the weekends. I had to skip a couple of mid-week concerts, because flying to Berlin and back wasn't possible due to work. However, I will certainly make it to the next one, which is the Dudamel concert on the 26th. Are you going to that one? I remember that you had planned to.

2 hours ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

I'm not sure, because setting up the cameras in the Musikverein seemed to be a really big deal last time with all the camera crew involved. In contrast, just an audio recording should be quite easy. I mean obviously most people would like some sort of release, even if it's months later, than no release at all. So it sucks that the Vienna Phil does not have a Digital Concert Hall equivalent.

That's all true. EuroVision or someone like that would have to fund the entire thing - and maybe pay for some of the concert itself. Not impossible, but they may also feel that the first album can sell for a very long time and no reason to add another release. I suspect they will record the audio of the rehearsals and the performance, but no idea if they will edit it into a release. Could also be something they sit on for a few years too. Fingers crossed though that this combo - Williams - Mutter - VPO - is strong enough to ensure a release at some point.

14 hours ago, Holko said:

Well, waiting list doesn't allow me to pick the standing tickets, so... anyone? :lol:

If life at DG doesn't find a way to make a "Williams returns to Vienna"  album then perhaps SONY Classical may wish to pick this up or VPO could make a Special Annual Edition 2022 out of it.

I do hope someone in Vienna will put up some mics.

Special Annual Edition 2021 / Dudamel - Wiener Philharmoniker

9003643980624.jpg__1170x680_q85_subsampl

On 09/02/2022 at 10:29 PM, Biodome said:

Yes, I try to attend all of them, especially the ones during the weekends. I had to skip a couple of mid-week concerts, because flying to Berlin and back wasn't possible due to work. However, I will certainly make it to the next one, which is the Dudamel concert on the 26th. Are you going to that one? I remember that you had planned to.

I really wanted to, but work came in for that whole weekend, so too much to turn down :( Real shame. 

The setlist in Berlin was much better with the Elegy, the Theme from Jurassic Park., Yoda´s Theme, Olympic Fanfare and Theme, Far and away Suite and so on...Sound the bells and the ASM Violin Concert is not my favourite Williams Music. 

6 hours ago, King Mark said:

Wish list:

Rise of Skywalker Suite

Han Solo and the Princess Revised (the symphonic version)

Anyone out there at VPO (or maybe ASM herself) to propose to rejig the current programme (2nd half)?

Maybe TROS instead of Throne Room or Han'nLeia instead of Marion's Theme (or both as encores)?

TROS with VPO...just imagine!

:worship: PLEASE

8 hours ago, bigjimwilson said:

I really wanted to, but work came in for that whole weekend, so too much to turn down :( Real shame. 

Aw, that sucks. Well, if you're ever in Berlin for any of those concerts, let me know, as I might be there, too.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Shouldn't we first try to establish if DG is recording this?

Yes, good idea.

PETITION

Esteemed members of the Vienna Philharmonic and the Society of Friends of Music in Vienna, dear Anne-Sophie Mutter, Bernhard Fleischer, Deutsche Grammophon Gesellschaft and anyone to whom it may concern, if you are reading this thread, please consider below fan petition:

1)  Please produce and publish recordings of the John Williams concert(s) in Vienna, March 12/13 2022!

2)  In order to add significantly to the current Star Wars portfolio (and to reduce significant overlap with "The Berlin Concert" release), we advocate including "The Rise of Skywalker" (approx. 4 minutes) as an additional piece (encore) or as a replacement.