John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

Is it too early to start guessing the set list? I'm thinking there won't be much overlap with the first Vienna concert or Berlin, but it's hard to say with JW... I guess staples like The Imperial March or Raiders March could return as encores (the latter being fresh on his mind, obviously).

I reckon Long Goodbye and VC #2 are shoe-ins, though. Han Solo and the Princess would be a god-tier inclusion.

Hooray!

1 minute ago, crypto said:

Is it too early to start guessing the set list? I'm thinking there won't be much overlap with the first Vienna concert or Berlin, but it's hard to say with JW...

The concert is already in just over a month!!! So let's get going!

Oh man, I really want to hear han and princess in good quality!!! It has such atypical harmony turns, it was kind of atypical for JW, but exactly what I expected!

Fantastic news and cool program! I don't know if I will be able to come this time, but I hope that they are going to record the concert and release it on blu-ray. I think Marion, Resistance and Princess Leia will be performed with Mutter as the soloist.

1 hour ago, carlborg said:

A recording of VC no.2 by the Vienna Phil would be amazing!

Definitely, but it just was recorded by DG in Boston last October, with both ASM and JW, to be released later this year as far as we know.
From the film music themes in Vienna in March, only 
-Fawkes the Phoenix (Harry Potter)
-March of the Resistance (SW)
-Princess Leia's Theme (SW)
and maybe one of the encores (?) are not previously recorded by DG. 

So probably  not happening, but we will see.

I think this will be released, because the Vienna Phil played only Marion's Theme at the 'John Williams in Vienna' concert, so there is no doubling of the pieces. Hopefully they play the normal orchestra arrangement of Hedwig's Theme this time.

33 minutes ago, gewittawoikal said:

grafik.pngProgram

Cant wait for the Vienna Horns  to blast again!!!  I think I prefer the sound of Vienna over Berlin. But fabulous news !!!

16 minutes ago, MaxTheHouseelf said:

I think this will be released, because the Vienna Phil played only Marion's Theme at the 'John Williams in Vienna' concert, so there is no doubling of the pieces. Hopefully they play the normal orchestra arrangement of Hedwig's Theme this time.

Also Superman March was played last time. But from the Vienna audience perspective you are right, very little doubling. And if Marion's Theme this time is played with ASM, and Hedwig without, then there are no other doublings.

30 minutes ago, Lord Montague said:

Definitely, but it just was recorded by DG in Boston last October, with both ASM and JW, to be released later this year as far as we know.
From the film music themes in Vienna in March, only 
-Fawkes the Phoenix (Harry Potter)
-March of the Resistance (SW)
-Princess Leia's Theme (SW)
and maybe one of the encores (?) are not previously recorded by DG. 

So probably  not happening, but we will see.

Hopefully they will come around- These titles are big sellers. Besides calling it John Williams Birthday Celeberation Concert would be a great way to package the set!!!

I was wondering if this is still happening, and when. Now the question is again: Get a Musikfreunde membership so I can buy tickets tomorrow, or wait until Thursday?

4 minutes ago, Lord Montague said:

Also Superman March was played last time.

In Berlin, not in Vienna.

3 minutes ago, Lord Montague said:

Also Superman March was played last time. But from the Vienna audience perspective you are right, very little doubling. And if Marion's Theme this time is played with ASM, and Hedwig without, then there are no other doublings.

Superman in Vienna last time?

Too similar to the Berlin program unfortunately. Why always Marions Theme? He must really love it. Would be nice to know which titles are the violin versions and which the normal ones.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

I was wondering if this is still happening, and when. Now the question is again: Get a Musikfreunde membership so I can buy tickets tomorrow, or wait until Thursday?

I just bought my membership :)  

This is just incredible. The man really doesn't have the remotest intention of slowing down. It goes without saying that I will do my best to be there even on such a short notice (luckily it's a weekend, so much better to organize even as a quick turnaround).

5 minutes ago, Steve said:

Too similar to the Berlin program unfortunately. Why always Marions Theme? He must really love it. Would be nice to know which titles are the violin versions and which the normal ones.

Mutter will likely do an encore after the Violin Concerto and perhaps a couple more at the end the second half. The VC #2 is a beast to perform.

4 minutes ago, Lord Montague said:

Yes, as encore. And it's on the DG Vienna recording.

He didn't perform Superman in Vienna.

6 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Wait a moment, did I miss the setlist or something? Or is it in that image?

PROGRAMM

• John Williams

Sound the Bells!
  • Konzert für Violine Nr. 2
  • — Pause —
  • John Williams

Superman March
  • Hedwigs Thema aus "Harry Potter"
  • Fawkes the Phoenix aus "Harry Potter"
  • Harry's Wondrous World aus "Harry Potter"
  • Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra aus "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade"
  • Marion’s Thema aus „Raiders of the Lost Ark“
  • March of the Resistance aus „Star Wars“
  • Princess Leia's Theme aus "Star Wars"
  • Throne Room and End Title aus "Star Wars"

6 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Oh no.

I love the program, but why always only the greatest hits over and over again? There is so much beautiful what you can still hear!

Agreed, but I suppose it's about attracting the big crowds. However, for these things, the music plays almost no role to me. It's about seeing and experiencing the man himself live.

8 minutes ago, Michael G. said:

Oh no.

I love the program, but why always only the greatest hits over and over again? There is so much beautiful what you can still hear!

Agreed, but he is very busy composing these days AFAIK, so not too many scores he didn't perform recently anyway seem just reasonable for reducing the workload in preparation.
It's a bit of a double headed animal though, that concert. The hardcore JW fans, who again would kill their grandmas to get tickets, will not care much about the great but modernist violin concerto.
A bit more courage would have been nice to perform less popular (read non-film) scores by the master.