John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

5 hours ago, PetePan said:

Lucky me...

The Dutch Noord Nederlands Orkest last minute added 3 (!) John Williams 90th birthday anniversary concerts, performing yesterday, today and tomorrow. 

Tomorrow I'll go to the concert in Drachten, which is 20 km from my hometown and then Saturday morning on the plane to Vienna. 

Dutchies who want to go: 

https://nno.nu/concert/filmmuziek-john-williams-90-jaar2

Excellent  I am from Leeuwarden and maybe I go to that concert too. But I am not going to Vienna this time. Veel plezier! 

7 hours ago, PetePan said:

Lucky me...

The Dutch Noord Nederlands Orkest last minute added 3 (!) John Williams 90th birthday anniversary concerts, performing yesterday, today and tomorrow. 

Tomorrow I'll go to the concert in Drachten, which is 20 km from my hometown and then Saturday morning on the plane to Vienna. 

Dutchies who want to go: 

https://nno.nu/concert/filmmuziek-john-williams-90-jaar2

Angelas Ashes on the program… interesting!

Rehearsal pics from the Vienna Philharmonic: (there are more pictures of the orchestra, I'm not posting all of them) 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca9uaQgqUWJ/?utm_medium=copy_link

275591063_378426717460634_5372381762650713867_n.jpg

Matthias Schorn on the clarinet and Sophie Dervaux on the bassoon. 🤩

275497379_499190595157858_3685474151305585849_n.jpg

Does Williams use a new baton for each concert?  Or does he have his own that he brings from place to place until it wears out?  What happens to his used ones?

1 minute ago, Tom said:

That blue light streaming in is heavenly.

275541230_340188851456899_6682037904130410778_n.jpg

Yes, this is one of the cool things about the Musikverein. Especially during Sunday concerts at noon, the sun sometimes breaks through the clouds at just the right moment, illuminating the hall - a special atmosphere. 

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wow, John looks great!  He honestly doesn't look like a 90 year old man

Indeed. It's absolutely crazy. I keep comparing him to my own grandfather, who  passed away at 85 (almost 86) and was in terrible shape in his last few years. He seems more vibrant than, say, Morricone was at the same age. God bless his mother's age genes!

He has a way to go to compete with the legendary Portuguese arthouse director Manoel de Oliveira, who directed movies at age 104 (he died at 106), but he's in that group now, with artists who made some great stuff beyond their 90s.

My own grandmother (my last remaining grandparent) turns 93 in a couple of weeks, and she's lost to dementia. All of these things put Williams' activity in perspective.

26 minutes ago, Jay said:

Does Williams use a new baton for each concert?  Or does he have his own that he brings from place to place until it wears out?  What happens to his used ones?

Maybe they’re used as “signed fan items”!

26 minutes ago, Matthias said:

Yes, this is one of the cool things about the Musikverein. Especially during Sunday concerts at noon, the sun sometimes breaks through the clouds at just the right moment, illuminating the hall - a special atmosphere. 

It's not that blue though, that's just the phone camera's fault. ;) 

What you can see well in these pictures: How small the "Great Hall" looks when seen from the podium.

1 hour ago, Thor said:

Indeed. It's absolutely crazy. I keep comparing him to my own grandfather, who  passed away at 85 (almost 86) and was in terrible shape in his last few years. He seems more vibrant than, say, Morricone was at the same age. God bless his mother's age genes!

Yeah, my grandparents are in their 80s too and... yeah, JW is definitely more with it.

Sorry to hear it, handz. You have my condolences. I wouldn't be surprised if my own, aforementioned grandmother (of the same age) is close. Treasure the moments while you can, and be astonished by people like Williams who act like they're 20 years younger than they actually are. 

2 hours ago, handz said:

My grandfather 93 died yesterday, he was in great shape, living alone, doing things around the house. It was totally sudden. So, definitely, enjoy JW while you can everyone, any concert can be the last now. It really saddens me  that I didnt know about this concert sooner to get tickets like last time, I have it 2,5 hours to Wien, sucks. I pray for the Milano concert to happen. 

Totally forgot about the Milan concert… wasn’t it cancelled?

Officially, the venue simply removed the listing from their website entirely, then never said anything about it.

The "postponed" status came from a Facebook message somebody got from... someone connected to the show, I forget who.

Anyway, we're all hoping he will go there at a later date - but no date has been announced yet

50 minutes ago, GlastoEls said:

Looking lovely with three hours to go!

FC5D28E0-72E9-4CD8-ACD5-24E2E862A270.jpeg

Am sitting here, in a sunny Vienna street, drinking green tea, listening to the expanded score for The River, watching the world go by, with Williams tickets in my pocket. 

What pleasure!

Great! Can you see the cars of any film crew around?

31 minutes ago, Pawel P. said:

Great! Can you see the cars of any film crew around?

Great question... would be fantastic if anyone could identify cameras or recording equipment inside the Musikverein!

5 minutes ago, crypto said:

Great question... would be fantastic if anyone could identify cameras or recording equipment inside the Musikverein!

Sure, cameras won't be difficult to spot. Microphones are always present (though for 'proper' recordings some mics are usually added), so I'm sure it will be recorded in some way, though not necessarily meant for release. Maybe we'll get a "look what we found in our archives"-type of release some years from now. 😉

A full production would be better, of course. 

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

On that note, has anyone else noticed the mounted mic next to ASM in this picture? I agree with @Matthias that the concert will most likely be recorded somehow, it just remains to be seen if DG will release it as well… Would be so exciting if they did.

9 minutes ago, JonathanAsh said:

On that note, has anyone else noticed the mounted mic next to ASM in this picture? I agree with @Matthias that the concert will most likely be recorded somehow, it just remains to be seen if DG will release it as well… Would be so exciting if they did.

That mic is turned to the conductor's podium. I guess it's either for Williams speeches to the audience (though there's no reason to mount that, as he's going to pick it up and turn around anyway; usually he just has it lying next to the sheet music), or perhaps for talking to the orchestra because the stage is quite large and there's a lot of reverb, and you have to talk rather loudly for the entire orchestra to hear and understand you, which might not be easy for a 90 years old man.

As has been mentioned, there's always an array of microphones dangling from the ceiling, but I'm not sure if they are in the habit of doing recordings just for the archive - the Musikverein themselves certainly don't; if you have a performance there and want them to record it, you have to pay extra, otherwise they won't even provide the personnel (and you're not allowed to record anything yourself).

If anyone spots a camera, the crucial question will be if it's in a permanent location for the full concert, or if it moves around (or even disappears at some point) - in the latter case it would probably be just for coverage of a news clip.

12 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

That mic is turned to the conductor's podium. […] or perhaps for talking to the orchestra because the stage is quite large and there's a lot of reverb, and you have to talk rather loudly for the entire orchestra to hear and understand you…

That is very possible as well, of course. I suppose we will find out sooner or later!

I will pay good attention in the concert now.

28 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

If anyone spots a camera, the crucial question will be if it's in a permanent location for the full concert, or if it moves around (or even disappears at some point) - in the latter case it would probably be just for coverage of a news clip.

IIRC the Berlin concert was recorded using discrete, remotely controlled cameras; there weren't camera operators in the concert hall, it was all controlled backstage.

The quality of the Berlin concert was a big improvement on the last Vienna concert too, so I wouldn't be unhappy if the same camera equipment was used here.