John Williams returns to Vienna! March 12/13 2022

crlbrg

Gosh, that really does look like perfect weather!

Hopefully JW gets a chance to sightsee around the city before returning to LA, given the glorious conditions.

Vienna is a lovely city, although the prices on everything are almost Oslo level (but only almost). Fond memories of both my Horner and Elfman trips to the city.

By the way, is the JW concert at the same venue as the Horner and Elfman concerts, i.e. the Hollywood in Vienna venue? (I'm sorry if this has been discussed earlier, and I keep confusing it with the one where the New Year's concert is held....you have too many concert halls!).

I'm obviously envious of those of you able to attend tonight, but I'm surprisingly calm about it. With three Williams concerts under my belt, I have the luxury to. Have a great one, guys!

The Long Goodbye as an encore of the first part: splendid ! 

I'll admit I could hear some people getting restless around me toward the end of the concerto. 

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

So no discrete cameras either? Or are those invisible?

There are sometimes remote controlled cameras in the Musikverein. You would see them, because they somewhat disturb the golden ladies. 😉

41 minutes ago, Thor said:

Vienna is a lovely city, although the prices on everything are almost Oslo level (but only almost). Fond memories of both my Horner and Elfman trips to the city.

By the way, is the JW concert at the same venue as the Horner and Elfman concerts, i.e. the Hollywood in Vienna venue? (I'm sorry if this has been discussed earlier, and I keep confusing it with the one where the New Year's concert is held....you have too many concert halls!).

I'm obviously envious of those of you able to attend tonight, but I'm surprisingly calm about it. With three Williams concerts under my belt, I have the luxury to. Have a great one, guys!

It's in the Musikverein, which indeed is the same venue as where the new year's concert takes place.

All I'm interested in is video-recording. I have billions cd-versions of these popular pieces in my collection( that I do not listen to) Those Vienna and Berlin blu-rays are amazing. But I didn't see any cameras last time in Vienna when I was there so lets hope this will be video-recorded.

15 minutes ago, Sibelius6 said:

All I'm interested in is video-recording. I have billions cd-versions of these popular pieces in my collection( that I do not listen to) Those Vienna and Berlin blu-rays are amazing. But I didn't see any cameras last time in Vienna when I was there so lets hope this will be video-recorded.

Really? They were hard to over-see.

Oh, they were clearly visible. I counted 9 cameras myself.

Fortunately, a Blu-ray from Tanglewood and Boston will be released in August. And let's not forget that the maestro has a few more concerts this year, something may be filmed.

47 minutes ago, JonathanAsh said:

I. HAVE. CONFIRMATION. 🤓 

Just talked to a recording engineer backstage. The concert is being (audio-)recorded, they hope to have it released by DG!

YES!!!!!! I KNEW IT!!!!

52 minutes ago, PetePan said:

It's in the Musikverein, which indeed is the same venue as where the new year's concert takes place.

Cool. But not the Hollywood in Vienna venue, then. Can you specify when you get the time, Marian?

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

Cool. But not the Hollywood in Vienna venue, then. Can you specify when you get the time, Marian?

It takes literally 5 seconds of googling

Where Hollywood in Vienna takes place: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Konzerthaus,_Vienna

Where Williams is conducting: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musikverein

1 hour ago, JonathanAsh said:

I. HAVE. CONFIRMATION. 🤓 

Just talked to a recording engineer backstage. The concert is being (audio-)recorded, they hope to have it released by DG!

Oh no. Now there won't be an end to the complaining about the flub at the start of the Superman Theme ;)

10 minutes ago, Damien F said:

JW: "Anne-Sophie has agreed to play Across The Stars which is from ONE of the Star Wars films but I can't for the life of me remember which one but I promise you it is from one of them". 😀

I think he knows it very well, but he's using it as a 'meme' at this point. He said the same thing in Berlin. :)

On 11/03/2022 at 4:50 PM, Thor said:

Good point, Marian. I double-checked my old photos of the 2014 Boston concert, and I believe it's the same jacket there as well.

I can imagine Giacchino finding that jacket on a coat stand, and tentatively about to put it on only for Williams to suddenly grab it back at the last moment, like Mutt with Indy's hat at the end of KOTCS.

So the only pieces played at today's concert that we won't have in Blu-ray format after the August premiere of Concerto performance from Tanglewood and the encores from Boston are Sound the Bells, Fawkes and Resistance.

1 minute ago, MovieMusicMaestro said:

Nope, at Tanglewood. No "Across the Stars" in Berlin. And no ASM on stage in Berlin.

Ok. Might have been some other STAR WARS thing in which he feigned ignorance.